Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington (49526 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Wears Aare Crown For The First Time (photo) / Ooni Ogunwusi's Traditional Performance In Washington D.C. Causes Panic - photos / Ooni Ogunwusi Dances At RCCG In Washington D.C - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by holytribe(m): 7:22am On Jun 16, 2016
princey83:

you now see why I called you an oyo man. The modakeke people still speak the oyo accent till date as they were oyo refugees. The accent was a determinant factor on the wars in identifying who was an Ife or modakeke. A captive is told to pronounce "ewuro". The way bitter leaf is pronounced is sometimes used in determining if a captive would live or die.

I doubt sight you bro. shocked pardon me and good morning...lol
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by holytribe(m): 8:21am On Jun 16, 2016
jenigurl:

angry But why ?!! That's sounds so wicked !
If the Modakeke propel re so hard working what gives the Ife people the right to forcefully eject them from the land?! Surely they deserve some reward for being so proactive and dedicated?
This doesn't make near it sounds like the Ife people enslaved the Modakeke people?
This is rather shocking !!

There is more to it as my fellow bro on nairaland buttress more on the tread as how they distinguished between Ife people and modakeke people during the clash... good morning
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 16, 2016
holytribe:

There is more to it as my fellow bro on nairaland buttress more on the tread as how they distinguished between Ife people and modakeke people during the clash... good morning
Good morning, slept well?
I would really appreciate it if you could enlighten me more on this or better still why doesn't someone open a thread and inform us on this, this is actually rich historical knowledge like something on History channel.
So a woman who married someone from Modakeke is subservient to a woman who married someone forbIle Ife?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by holytribe(m): 9:27am On Jun 16, 2016
jenigurl:

Good morning, slept well?
I would really appreciate it if you could enlighten me more on this or better still why doesn't someone open a thread and inform us on this, this is actually rich historical knowledge like something on History channel.
So a woman who married someone from Modakeke is subservient to a woman who married someone forbIle Ife?

The history of Ile-Ife, the ancient city of Yorubaland is mythical, like the biblical account of the creation of the world, but it is so far unwritten.
The history of Ife can also be chronologically divided into three periods: The first Ife was known as Ife Oodaye, Ile owuro, ibiti oju ti mo, that is, the land of most ancient days where the dawn of the day was first experienced. The inhabitants of Ife Oodaye were believed to be powerful giants with mystic abilities. Tradition claims that the life of this community came to an end as a result of flood which flushed the whole area occupied by the community. Those who survived the deluge formed the nucleus of the community that formed the second era of the history of Ife.

The second Ife was called Ife Ooyelagbo, that is, the city of the survivors. Tradition maintains that the second Ife lasted until the arrival of some strangers who entered the city of Ile-Ife from the “East”. An attempt made by the strangers to seize power from the aborigines on the land led to a bloody struggle between the strangers led by the Oduduwa on one hand and the aborigines led by Obatala, eventually Oduduwa and his groups won the war.

The third Ife is called Ile-Ife founded with the arrival of Oduduwa and his groups. It is believed that Oduduwa, the founder of the Yoruba raced emerged after the deluge, he (Oduduwa) and his followers descended on to dry land by means of chain ropes from their life boat (hence the saying Oduduwa afi won ron). And later anchored on Oke-Ora (Oranfe Hill) between Ile-Ife and Itagunmodi on the Ife-Ilesa road, from where they came to Moore quarter in Ile-Ife.

Ife modakeke crisis

Ife-Modakeke crisis remains the oldest intra-ethnic conflict in Nigeria which makes the process of peace making a realistic one.

The people of Modakeke migrated and settled in Ile-Ife in the aftermath of the collapse of the Old Oyo empire, the then Ooni of Ife accepted them as refugees in the nineteenth century. They were welcomed and allowed to work as labourers on Ife farms. The then Ife's entrusted them with their farmland and overtime, they requested for piece of lands to farm on the agreement to be paying royalties (Called Ifo or isakole). Till today other tribes like Igbo farmers still pays but modakeke people stopped paying royalties claiming they now own the farm. War started between the landlords (Ife) and the settlers or refugees (Modakeke) which has lasted for centuries. Overtimes, Modakeke people seek to fight for self autonomy and developed local army to defend their farms, they sent away sons and daughters of real land owners and fight for self autonomy like having a local government of theirs, having their own king and among many others.
-Some of the identified major conflicts that broke out between the two groups include:

The two bloody battles of 1849.
The communal war of December 1882.
The conflict over selection of Imam by the Modakeke in 1934.
The Isakole (Land Rent) dispute of 1946 – 47.
The confrontation over the reception of a British parliamentarian (Rev. Sorenson) in January 1949.
The conflict over the establishment of Modakeke High School.
The conflict over the establishment of Olorunsogo Plank Market,
The opposition to self help development projects by a Fund Raising activity of Modakeke in 1980.
And the request for a separate Local Government Council with began in 1950s.
The modakeke people still speak the oyo accent till date as they were oyo refugees. The accent was a determinant factor on the wars in identifying who was an Ife or modakeke. A captive is told to pronounce "ewuro". The way bitter leaf is pronounced is sometimes used in determining if a captive would live or die.
Reference :
@micronut and princey83
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by yommyuk: 8:42am On Jun 17, 2016
yommyuk:
I do not really read any meaning or significance into this visit.
Photographically, it looks great, but where are all the Afro- American leaders and elites?

He should also include in this visit the Hoods, where the real Negros live. Promote social and cultural awareness among them from the grassroots. Encourage the Negros to invest in Africa and visit their roots.

This one na show off and just a Holiday trip from Naija stress. Na Shakara

I retract this post. I just saw some videos of the Oni of Ife on this US trip. I am Impressed! He is doing a good job.

Keep it up Kabeyisi !!!!!!! Ki ade pe lori!!! cool

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by jumissy: 4:09am On Jun 18, 2016
saintdennis:

I'm not happy with his dress code... well it's traditional. Coool! BUT it's 2016 Africa's PR needs to change from being seen as a backward continent.
I don't need to upload thailand Japan Korean kings outfits during events/visits to the west.
Even the Arabs dress normal Arab dress code without using staffs, praise band etc
Look @ sanusi d other time in u.k with his daughters, was dressed like a masquerade.
Even the queen n princes of England ONLY dress in royal regalia on select occasions. Usually to mark some annual celebration or something.
See as he's holding d staff like it has any effect 4 obodo america.
In business affairs he dressed western (what you're referring to).  Now he is a king. He is a Yoruba king. The Japanese, Korean and Arab you mentioned, in their culture it might not matter in terms of daily royal dressing and treatment with royal entourage, but that is not how the Yorubas treat their kings. I think this king's accomplishments speak for itself, regardless of your preference for his dressing, and that is why they have chosen to honor him and invited him. How is traditional wear and royal regalia backwards? He is a king. He doesn't owe anyone to dress differently from his culture to suit another culture. You can see him as a businessman and still respect his cultural rights as a king. I guess some people don't really know what royalty means in 2016.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by olaitanbaale1(m): 10:21pm On Jun 18, 2016
jenigurl:

Kiss kiss grin
r u from ife too?
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by UltraSphinx(m): 1:08pm On Jun 19, 2016
CAPSLOCKED:
IS IT THAT I'M THE ONLY ONE,
WHO'S TIRED OF SEEING THIS OONI GUY AND HIS STORIES, OR WHAT? undecided
you are just being bitterly jealous, why don't you tell the obi of Onitsha or obi of Nnewi to embark on his own tour and see whether he won't travel to Myanmar on foot cheesy...
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by UltraSphinx(m): 1:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
jenigurl:
I am so in love with him grin
I will marry someone from ife

Kabiyesi mi
Olori mi
Ife mi
I'm from ile-ife angel, my household is next to the ooni's palace :-D cheesy
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by pamcode(m): 6:25pm On Jun 19, 2016
princey83:

of course they would shake hands, but the men would usually bow or the ladies bend at the knees if it was a visiting European monarch.

Oyinbo don't really give respect to Africans due to our lack of development and high rate of corruption. The Ooni never lived in Europe or America, and has no idea of how an average westerner thinks about Africa. I am sure you watched how David Cameron made mockery of Nigeria in front of the Queen. These Oyinbo in these pictures would do the same when the ooni turns his back. some Americans were already making fun of the Ooni on a video I watched on Facebook . They were saying he must be the king that sends them scam emails from Nigeria for him to be able to afford to bring all those entourage he traveled with.lol.

It would have been better if he went to somewhere like the south America's just like the Alaafin that visited brasil not too long ago.
Americans that could make fun of President Goodluck would surely make fun of ooni. Africans need to start repping Africa well. Imagine those three house of rep members.
Re: Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington by Ayobami7(m): 7:24pm On Nov 01, 2018
OK

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? / Olu Of Warri Kicks Out Ayiri, Revalidates Iyatsere, 10 Other Itsekiri Chiefs / Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.