Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? (49514 Views)

Share Any Of Your Experience About Culture Shock In Nigeria / South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by MRAKBEE(m): 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2017
Culture shock is described as the feelings one experiences after leaving their familiar, home culture to live in another cultural or social environment.
I served in one of the northern states and was shocked the day I witnessed a young man canned on his bare back to determine if he is ready for marriage or not.
Anyway, I eventually appreciated that cultural practice as I know that every tribe is unique in its own way.
Nairalanders, what is the biggest culture shock you have had?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by MRAKBEE(m): 1:35pm On Sep 22, 2017
odumchi, Fulaman198, bigfrancis21 Lalasticlala
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:05pm On Sep 22, 2017
was once offered to sleep with a man's wife in Tibet, after a heavy night of drinking... and although i refused (she didnt look any good/mountable), i was told such act wasnt uncommon between brothers in these parts of China.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by MRAKBEE(m): 3:23pm On Sep 22, 2017
MrBrownJay1:
was once offered to sleep with a man's wife in Tibet, after a heavy night of drinking... and although i refused (she didnt look any good/mountable), i was told such act wasnt uncommon between brothers in these parts of China.
Maybe u would have said yeah yeah if she was mountable?

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:30pm On Sep 22, 2017
MRAKBEE:

Maybe u would have say yeah yeah if she was mountable?

if she was good looking/sexy, i would have taken her back to the hotel sharp sharp...... i would have told her hubby: "thank you, and as i dont want to go against your culture, i will do the necessary"...

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by MRAKBEE(m): 4:20pm On Sep 22, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

if she was good looking/sexy, i would have taken her back to the hotel sharp sharp...... i would have told her hubby: "thank you, and as i dont want to go against your culture, i will do the necessary"...
Most times its the no-sexy looking ones that tend to give it out without being asked.

15 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by FemiEddy(m): 4:46pm On Sep 22, 2017
cool

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by mikeczay: 4:46pm On Sep 22, 2017
Well, mine was screaming Sai Buhari in Aba. The slaps those biafranos give me still dey shock me undecided undecided

118 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Tolu95(m): 4:47pm On Sep 22, 2017
let me just read and pass

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Ermacc: 4:47pm On Sep 22, 2017
The Yorubas! When I was younger, I read that the yorubas are the most educated and enlightened tribe. Having spent a considerable time in the west ( Ibadan, Ogbomosho, Saki, Oyo town, Ife, Ore, Oshogbo, Akure, Ifaki and Iwo), I can boldly state that those days of being the most educated tribe are long gone.

138 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Sep 22, 2017
Mehn @the poster below me, my dad had better take a cue, I am anything but cheap.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Sep 22, 2017
When my inlaws came to collect traditional marriage list, after we gave them our list _they gave us theirs. They said their son is not cheap. My dad shock grin!

We thought it was small something.
As we opened it, it was actually neatly typed and sealed.
Naso we see 1big male goat, 1 big bowl of fufu, kegs of palmwine. They kept on emphasising on the BIG.

218 Likes 22 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by muller101(m): 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
grin having an emir in ilorin.

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
Here to read comments grin

Modified: Here to read comments and LIES

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
in the UK most of the churches der were under lock and key yet they still dey progress, while my country with over 3 churches per street still dey go backward cheesy, the few nigerians churches dat had branches der used halls in schools and oda places

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by mykh01(m): 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
Though i haven't travel beyond the sea shore of Nigeria, but have read about the Eskimo's who have it as there culture not to take care of the aged and elderly ones. Am still surprise about this horrific attitude towards humanity.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Mai-popcorn, give me 2000 naira own grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by whitebeard(m): 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
Kenyans libido- trust me these people are always Hot..!! wink it kinda weird but fun on the other side.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Afam4eva(m): 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2017
I visited the Island of Mauritius and apart from the fact that i was seeing hundreds of ladies with hot bikinis, there was a section where ladies were topless and it wasn't a big deal to them but to a Nigerian guy, i just had to contain my excitement and respect myself.

147 Likes 13 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by idee91: 4:49pm On Sep 22, 2017
Jsjs
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Democrat1c(m): 4:49pm On Sep 22, 2017
The eating of Amala and Ewedu by Yoruba. That creepy food irritates my marrows. The soup sometime appears like the sh*ts of Jedi Jedi patients.

105 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Makanjuola89: 4:49pm On Sep 22, 2017
lemme think

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by whitebeard(m): 4:50pm On Sep 22, 2017
Democrat1c:
The eating of Amala and Ewedu by Yoruba. That creepy food irritates my marrows. The soup sometime appears like the sh*ts of Jedi Jedi patients.
bless your soul.

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:50pm On Sep 22, 2017
They don't serve food in Ghanaian weddings.

Every Nigerian knows how weddings are done in Nigeria with all the owambe and everything. Our west African neighbours are totally different. The first Ghanaian wedding i went to was a very big shock to me. The venue was like 3 hours from school so I went hungry. I thought it's like Nigerian weddings where during the reception you can eat till your hearts content.

Well after all the church buohaha. We were just served 2 buns one coke and one tiny chicken. I thought that was an appetiser and the main course is coming. Only for people to start going and I was told that was the end of it. I was shocked to the bone. After that before I go to any Ghanaian wedding I make sure to stuff up my tummy.

That country is very weird.

186 Likes 14 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by boldking(m): 4:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
I feel like having sex I swear

12 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Oyindidi(f): 4:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
PaperLace:
When my inlaws came to collect traditional marriage list, after we gave them our list _they gave us theirs. They said their son is not cheap. My dad shock grin!
cheesy grin grin which tribe ?

18 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Fembleez1(m): 4:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
Let me come and be going.
Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Fuadeiza(m): 4:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
I was told we dont eat small snails in our clan....that it causes our males manhood to shrink and makes us (male and female) cry ant instead of tears...

I was pretty young then sha... Im not sure if that was accurate, as it might have been my childish imagination......

Anyways, i've ate lots of snail , of different sizes, even my neighbour for school prepared one, one time like that, and i chop am without hesitation... Lol...

Nothing do me

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Kobicove(m): 4:51pm On Sep 22, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

Are you for real?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Angelsss(f): 4:52pm On Sep 22, 2017
The Durbar display in the North...

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Biggest Culture Shock You Have Had? by Pebcak: 4:52pm On Sep 22, 2017

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Recognized By US Lawmakers At The House Of Reps In Washington / Olu Of Warri Kicks Out Ayiri, Revalidates Iyatsere, 10 Other Itsekiri Chiefs / Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.