Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,523 members, 7,954,982 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:35 PM

Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 (10073 Views)

LandRover Unveils Its Most Expensive Model Ever,£177k RangeRover SVAutobiograhy / This Land Rover Defender SVX Will Take You Through Flood And Mountains (photos) / Guy Crushes Audi All Road And Kia Spectra With A Landrover Defender (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by ivoryhouse(m): 3:15am On Jun 17, 2016
Siena does have a point, Nigerians love cutting corners especially when they feel they can get away with it. That said, not all Nigerians do!
The land rover defender is one of the most amazing off road vehicles ever built, along with the pre-2006 toyota land cruiser, jeep wrangler, and the king of off roaders the hummer h1. Diesel engine vehicles are the way to go with off road vehicles for obvious reasons. If you are concerned with fuel economy please buy a toyota but if you want to have fun look to these cars mentioned above. There are other offroaders but i choose to mention the ones i like best, my opinion!
Good morning guys

1 Like

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by sultaan(m): 3:25am On Jun 17, 2016
My passion overcame my rational self so I jumped the gun.

Going through different agencies their no one is always different but the jeep, Xterra, Lexus460 4runner and range rover is always mention on different orders

I know I saw a new survey on Tv 2 months ago saying Grand Cherokee beats the bunch but if I can't find it, it does not exist

The defender is a good by for those who understand it's purpose, I personally pick vehicles that can meet 90% capabilities of benchmark at a fraction of the price
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by sultaan(m): 3:35am On Jun 17, 2016
My new ride

I follow through where I put my mouth

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by ivoryhouse(m): 7:08am On Jun 17, 2016
sultaan:
My new ride

That dash looks like a dodge..what is it?
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by sultaan(m): 7:25am On Jun 17, 2016
ivoryhouse:

That dash looks like a dodge..what is it?

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by ivoryhouse(m): 7:28am On Jun 17, 2016
sultaan:

Cool!
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 17, 2016
I still think shelling out N1.7m for a 96 Defender is preposterous. Just because it was used by a white man doesnt mean the repairs were done in Heaven. angry

If you seriously need rover, why not try the LR3 or 2005 Range Rover, you can get a decently used one for that amount.

Unless u ply the desert routes of Niger,Chad and Sahara Desert you should re consider shelling that kind of amount on that vehicle.

Its not entirely problem free, it has a few flaws of its own. Namely:

1. Corrosion of vehicle body, especially the doors and capping section.

2. Drive shaft issues cause by a poorly designed transfer case which makes loud noises when changing gears.

3. Timing Belt issue and valve lifter issues on the v8.

I would advice you to settle for a 1998-2003 Toyota Land cruiser or 4 runner ,there's plenty for that amount you have.

Toyota 4 runners are also a good choice these vehicles go well over 500,000km without issues.
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jun 17, 2016
OP, how far on the purchase?
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Readonee35L(m): 3:22pm On Jun 17, 2016
sultaan:
My new ride

What plant do you have in your 300 3.6, 5.7, 6.4??

Tho from the speedo it looks like a base 3.6l
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by xcuggsm(m): 5:10pm On Jun 17, 2016
kaeforum:

If you seriously need rover, why not try the LR3 or 2005 Range Rover, you can get a decently used one for that amount.

I would advice you to settle for a 1998-2003 Toyota Land cruiser or 4 runner ,there's plenty for that amount you have.

Toyota 4 runners are also a good choice these vehicles go well over 500,000km without issues.

Hi everyone. My first time to comment on this forum.

I am a dedicated Land Roverite and I have been driving the Range Rover brand since 1994.

My first was a Range Rover 3.5 Saudi Model - very powerful and reliable. Back then I did PH to Lagos every other month and I had a marvelous time with the ride. I remember a day I ran into a pile up at Ore and I comfortably veered off the road into the bush and I did off-road maneuvers up to a km before moving back to the tarred express road. You just need to have seen the looks on other drivers faces in their "soft" assed Japanese shit. And my tire cover then said it all " Range Rover, The Best 4x4 Ever"

I then moved on to a Range Rover 3.9 County 1995 model - Short Wheel Base" . This was an improvement in luxury from my RR 3.5. It had a 4 channel ABS brakes, leather seats and more comfy interiors etc and met all my heart desires in my long range driving days and my clubbing days. I guess all the armed robbers in Lagos knew the car and kept off me. "That guy that always drives late from Ikeja to Ajah between 2 and 4 am every weekend" I was very proud of the rugged disposition of my Range Rover that I had this saying that " Nothing can stop a Range Rover 3.9 from taking you home except a failed fuel pump" Which was not difficult for me to replace anytime since I cut an opening on the floor of my RR boot that gave me easy access to the fuel tank. The engine was so rugged that I drove from Asaba to Lagos on 7 cylinders with one piston completely seized with a broken rocker arm. Tell me another vehicle that can do that except a Land Rover.

I later upgraded to a P38 Bosh engine - turbo charged - the engine I find difficult to fault irrespective of the failings that has been attributed to it by car buffs. Maybe mine is a miracle. In my 10 years of using the vehicle as a daily driver I have not had many issues with it except for a failed Airflow meter, alternator, ABS pump, and one ignition coil replacement. I am so in tune with the P38 Bosch engine that I have the complete Rave repair CDs and every manual I can lay my hands on. I also belong to Range Rover internet forum where I share problems and repair ideas with fellow RR buffs.

My favorite Range Rover of the moment is the 2004 Discovery II. Maybe because it shares the same engine with my beloved P38 but with some added interior luxury fittings.

Though I have a 2007 LR3 and a 2008 RR Sports in my garage. They are just for updates. People know me with my LR Disco II.

For local runs when I hit the country home, I have a 1998 Landcruiser Prado powered by a Toyota 3RZ 2.7 engine. Rugged and easy to maintain in a rural environment. No wonder the Aussies love it way down under.

Still looking for a very neat Land Rover 110 to crown it all.

ONCE YOU START USING A LAND ROVER YOU ARE AT RISK OF C A DISEASE CALLED "ROVERITIS" FOR WHICH THERE IS NO CURE!!

After a Land Rover all the other 4x4 are like lame ducks.

My love to all smiley

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by LeJeun3: 5:13pm On Jun 17, 2016
kaeforum:
I still think shelling out N1.7m for a 96 Defender is preposterous. Just because it was used by a white man doesnt mean the repairs were done in Heaven. angry

Unless u ply the desert routes of Niger,Chad and Sahara Desert you should re consider shelling that kind of amount on that vehicle.

2. Drive shaft issues cause by a poorly designed transfer case which makes loud noises when changing gears.

Boss Calm down na!
First of all, he hasn't bought it, Secondly, whether by a white man or not a well maintained car is a great buy. (If you have access to the SIM missionaries who used these cars you will know, maintenance wasnt taken lightly)

The issues you listed aren't as bad as those he will find in a Naija misused Range Rover and LR3 for N1.5M

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jun 17, 2016
xcuggsm:

Hi everyone. My first time to comment on this forum.

I am a dedicated Land Roverite and I have been driving the Range Rover brand since 1994.

My first was a Range Rover 3.5 Saudi Model - very powerful and reliable. Back then I did PH to Lagos every other month and I had a marvelous time with the ride. I remember a day I ran into a pile up at Ore and I comfortably veered off the road into the bush and I did off-road maneuvers up to a km before moving back to the tarred express road. You just need to have seen the looks on other drivers in their "soft" assed Japanese shit. And my tire cover then said it all " Range Rover, The Best 4x4 Ever"

I then moved on to a Range Rover 3.9 County 1995 model - Short Wheel Base" . This was an improvement in luxury from my RR 3.5. It had a 4 channel ABS brakes, leather seats and more comfy interiors etc and met all my heart desires in my long range driving days and my clubbing days. I guess all the armed robbers in Lagos knew the car and kept off me. "That guy that always drives late from Ikeja to Ajah between 2 and 4 am every weekend" I was very proud of the rugged disposition of my Range Rover that I had this saying that " Nothing can stop a Range Rover 3.9 from taking you home except a failed fuel pump" Which was not difficult for me to replace anytime since I cut an opening on the floor of my RR boot that gave me easy access to the fuel tank. The engine was so rugged that I drove from Asaba to Lagos on 7 cylinders with one piston completely seized with a broken rocker arm. Tell me another vehicle that can do that except a Land Rover.

I later upgraded to a P38 Bosh engine - turbo charged - the engine I find difficult to fault irrespective of the failings that has been attributed to it by car buffs. Maybe mine is a miracle. In my 10 years of using the vehicle as a daily driver I have not had many issues with it except for a failed Airflow meter, alternator, ABS pump, and one ignition coil replacement. I am so in tune with the P38 Bosch engine that I have the complete Rave repair CDs and every manual I can lay my hands on. I also belong to Range Rover internet forum where I share problems and repair ideas with fellow RR buffs.

My favorite Range Rover of the moment is the 2004 Discovery II. Maybe because it shares the same engine with my beloved P38 but with some added interior luxury fittings.

Though I have an 2007 LR3 and a 2008 RR Sports in my garage. They are just for updates. People know me with my LR Disco II.

For local runs when I hit the country home, I have a 1998 Landcruiser Prado powered by a Toyota 3RZ 2.7 engine. Rugged and easy to maintain in a rural environment. No wonder the Aussies love it way down under.

Still looking for a very neat Land Rover 110 to crown it all.

ONCE YOU START USING A LAND ROVER YOU ARE AT RISK A DISEASE CALLED "ROVERITIS" FOR WHICH THERE IS NO CURE!!

After a Land Rover all the other 4x4 are like lame ducks.

My love to all smiley

Ownership of a Land Rover product, at least the pre 2004 models, cannot be explained to nor appreciated by mere mortals.

My last LR was an 04 Discovery SE7. In search of a 110 for Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jun 17, 2016
kaeforum:

No one said the repairs were done in heaven. But, it's a well known fact the average Nigerian will a use a good car, and turn it into a ruin in a very short time. All those opposing this fact, why are Nigerian-used cars sold for less than the equivalent import? Sometimes, the import is 3 years older, yet it's still preferred. Why are non Nigerian-used vehicles highly sought after?

Take a closer look at the 21-year-old Landrover Defender. If the average Nigerian had used that Ute, would it look as good as this one does, even after 8 years?

The LR3 is nowhere as durable as the Defender. And with their weight (2.7 metric tonnes for the V6 TDI) they are terrible off road. They bog down. And they do have timing chain issues, on the V6 TDI. With high miles, comes heart-stopping bills.

As for the asking price of 1.7 million Naira, I would not say it's ridiculously over priced for it's condition. When it comes to paying good money for a car, if the buyer is happy with it, then it's not a waste of money. Buy a Defender for 800,000 Naira, and you're not happy with it, it's a waste of money. Someone else pays 2 million Naira for the same truck, and he's happy, it's not a waste.

1) All Landrover models, have the panels made out of lightweight aluminium. Rust? Light oxidation, probably, but rust? No.

2) Driveshft issue, caused by a poorly designed transfer case. This statement sounds like your posting from what you've heard from a third party. Otherwise, you'd be specific with this driveshaft issue, and state how it correlates with a poorly-designed transfer case. Noise when changing gears? Man! It's a Landrover, a UV that was designed originally for the military! It's not meant to be a luxurious SUV. If you want refinement, you'd be looking at the more upmarket Disco or much more refined Range Rover. You'd trade off-road capability for luxury.

3) Timing belt, and valve lifter issues on the V8? You mean the timing belt that isn't there? grin You're confused here, dude. The V8 is a pushrod motor, it's an over-head valve (OHV). Where do timing belt issues come from? It hasn't got one. It's an old Buick V8, that was sold by the American manufacturer to British Leyland / Rover in the late 1960's, and is much more reliable than many modern V8 engines. Fitted in many present day cars, with improvements each time. Speak to Morgan, MGB, TVR Griffith / Ceberra owners. wink

I'm pretty sure the thread starters is aware of the Toyota Land Cruisers and 4Runners, and other trucks that can be had for 1.7 million Naira. But, he's looking at the LR Defender 110. A very different vehicle.

The Land Rover was in production from 1946-2016, a 70-year production run. It grew in size and refinement, but the basic design remained the same. A rubbish, unreliable UV? For 70 years? Lol.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by xcuggsm(m): 9:15pm On Jun 17, 2016
Siena:

The Land Rover was in production from 1946-2016, a 70-year production run. It grew in size and refinement, but the basic design remained the same. A rubbish, unreliable UV? For 70 years? Lol.

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Jakumo(m): 12:53pm On Jun 18, 2016
This a very lively and enlightening debate, as Nairaland's learned car gurus thrash out the notion of whether or not Nigerians as a group do or do not take car maintenance seriously.

One point that has oddly not been mentioned thus far in this discussion is the devastating effect Nigeria's appallingly bad roads have on the suspensions and drive trains of ALL vehicles that ply them.

To play devil's advocate, I make bold to suggest that even the most meticulously maintained car that is driven regularly on Nigerian roads WILL, in the fullness of time, be comprehensively ANNIHILATED by the cratered lunar surfaces that pass for "roads" in Nigeria. This is not to say that one might as well neglect any car that is doomed to a life on Nigerian roads, BUT, suffice to say, all vehicles that ply Nigerian roads will, on average, be in far worse condition than vehicles that have been recently exported to Nigeria, having previously been driven exclusively on the smooth roads of Western Europe and North America, regardless of the nationality of all previous owners of those vehicles

While I would not question Oga Sienna's years of observations that Nigerians generally drive their cars to utter destruction without caring a hoot about routine maintenance, I also am of the opinion that used cars imported to Nigeria are preferred by Nigerian drivers over those that have suffered the usual abuse on Nigeria's road network, because of the state of the suspensions in particular, rather than because Nigerian-used cars were, or were not, driven by "white men".

2 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2016
Jakumo:
This a very lively and enlightening debate, as Nairaland's learned car gurus thrash out the notion of whether or not Nigerians as a group do or do not take car maintenance seriously.

One point that has oddly not been mentioned thus far in this discussion is the devastating effect Nigeria's appallingly bad roads have on the suspensions and drive trains of ALL vehicles that ply them.

To play devil's advocate, I make bold to suggest that even the most meticulously maintained car that is driven regularly on Nigerian roads WILL, in the fullness of time, be comprehensively ANNIHILATED by the cratered lunar surfaces that pass for "roads" in Nigeria. This is not to say that one might as well neglect any car that is doomed to a life on Nigerian roads, BUT, suffice to say, all vehicles that ply Nigerian roads will, on average, be in far worse condition than vehicles that have been recently exported to Nigeria, having previously been driven exclusively on the smooth roads of Western Europe and North America, regardless of the nationality of all previous owners of those vehicles

While I would not question Oga Sienna's years of observations that Nigerians generally drive their cars to utter destruction without caring a hoot about routine maintenance, I also am of the opinion that used cars imported to Nigeria are preferred by Nigerian drivers over those that have suffered the usual abuse on Nigeria's road network, because of the state of the suspensions in particular, rather than because Nigerian-used cars were, or were not, driven by "white men".

Siena is right and we can't blame it all on bad roads.

I will ask you two questions and you can ask others to get a good feel of where Siena is coming from.

1) Do you have your vehicles owners manual and have read it?

2) Do you follow the maintenance schedule as specified in the owners manual or do you wait till something is broken?

Thank you.

5 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Jakumo(m): 1:06pm On Jun 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Siena is right and we can't blame it all on bad roads.

I will ask you two questions and you can ask others to get a good feel of where Siena is coming from.

1) Do you have your vehicles owners manual and have read it?

2) Do you follow the maintenance schedule as specified in the owners manual or do you wait till something is broken?

Thank you.

Egun Agba, good to hear from you again. My Ogun worshiping religion forbids me from owning any car that is newer than 1999, and due to this limitation, my source of maintenance and repair manuals has generally been the internet, which, as you know, contains a wealth of free parts, repair and factory manuals relevant to most vehicles one can get fixed up and running these days.

Regarding your second question, I will admit to having neglected oil changes well past the due date in some rare instances, due to sheer absent mindedness, but as a general rule, I do stay ahead of the curve with routine maintenance and repairs, particularly when it comes to the SUSPENSION of the cars that I drive when in Nigeria. I cannot STAND to hear clunks in the suspension and drive train of my car, and it never ceases to amaze how much rumble, rattle and roll most other Nigerian drivers I know will tolerate in their cars.

2 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 18, 2016
Jakumo:

Egun Agba, good to hear from you again. My Ogun worshiping religion forbids me from owning any car that is newer than 1999, and due to this limitation, my source of maintenance and repair manuals has generally been the internet, which, as you know, contains a wealth of free parts, repair and factory manuals relevant to most vehicles one can get fixed up and running these days.

Regarding your second question, I will admit to having neglected oil changes well past the due date in some rare instances, due to sheer absent mindedness, but as a general rule, I do stay ahead of the curve with routine maintenance and repairs, particularly when it comes to the SUSPENSION of the cars that I drive when in Nigeria. I cannot STAND to hear clunks in the suspension and drive train of my car, and it never ceases to amaze how much rumble, rattle and roll most other Nigerian drivers I know will tolerate in their cars.

Nice.

So, now ask 10 associated with newer cars the sane question.

I'll be surprised if you get 3 that answer positively.

Oya oga Gazzuzz, next week please tell us the number of cars that comes in for service and has owners manual in the glove box grin

Egun "Devils Advocate" Anigilaje

2 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by DUNKA(m): 2:04pm On Jun 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:
OP, how far on the purchase?
Still interested but still negotiating on the price

2 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by kingreign(m): 5:38pm On Jun 18, 2016
Ofemmanu1:
1.7m for this?!
[s] A toyota rav4 2010 would be a better deal[/s].

Bros, this is insult, Infact its heresy, blasphemy and its not condoned within pure autorists discussion. Even a series 80 Land cruiser which is sworn by the Aussies and Arabians doesn't come close. NOT even the Land cruiser Sahara edition used by NGOs comes close.
The only place a Disco 110 doesn't go to is heaven.

9 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by oblo(m): 6:28pm On Jun 18, 2016
grin not to derail but I saw someone mention the Jeep Grand Cherokee as one.of the top off roaders...I have one for sale in case you do wana digress lipsrsealed lipsrsealed . Its 2005 model. Its advertised here on nairaland as well....

Ok #off I go# cheesy

Meanwhile enjoy.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNlLnFjP_7Q

2 Likes

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by simiolu1(m): 7:57pm On Jun 18, 2016
kingreign:

Bros, this is insult, Infact its heresy, blasphemy and its not condoned within pure autorists discussion. Even a series 80 Land cruiser which is sworn by the Aussies and Arabians doesn't come close. NOT even the Land cruiser Sahara edition used by NGOs comes close.

Wicked is the only word to describe this... Case closed. Oya Op, buy this monster make we pop champagne jor

1 Like

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Ofemmanu1: 8:15pm On Jun 18, 2016
kingreign:

I've learned!
:-)
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jun 18, 2016
Opinions are bullshit, unfortunately everyone has one.
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Stancity(m): 8:29pm On Jun 18, 2016
kingreign:

The Bolded got me Laughing out loud

1 Like

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by billyG(m): 3:03pm On Jun 19, 2016
This car rugged die!I need such vehic 4 ma farm project,na this kind vehic fit 9ja police wey no get mtce culture.wher re d police ALGON prados today?

1 Like

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by sultaan(m): 4:27pm On Jun 19, 2016
billyG:
This car rugged die!I need such vehic 4 ma farm project,na this kind vehic fit 9ja police wey no get mtce culture.wher re d police ALGON prados today?

You need a pickup for farm project.

The 110 is mainly for those who veer offroad often, if your farm is in the rural area it will work but when you have to carry those oversized farm stuff like the occasional farm animal a pick works better.

If you live in Ajah and drive to work on Island daily, then you can buy it

1 Like

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 19, 2016
There are variants of 110 including a pickup as shown below.

Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by santanamimi(f): 2:06pm On Jun 25, 2016
DUNKA:
More pics

Oga Dunka me sef wan buy jeep.

Please sir

Help us vote ivyy For Miss NL on the thread below.
Simply type I vote Ivyy Cc Nljega

https://www.nairaland.com/3186985/miss-nairaland-contest-2016-grand

Thank you
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Afrocentricwolf: 12:17am On Aug 31, 2019
Hey if you still have access to these I'd like to purchase
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by Chidi324: 3:28am On Oct 03, 2019
Afrocentricwolf:
Hey if you still have access to these I'd like to purchase

Hi, I would appreciate any assistance with locating a good Defender 110 for immediate purchase please. In case you come across one, please let me know.
Re: Advise On Purchase Of Landrover Defender 110 by stanvesco(m): 11:50am On Feb 05, 2022

Ownership of a Land Rover product, at least the pre 2004 models, cannot be explained to nor appreciated by mere mortals.

My last LR was an 04 Discovery SE7. In search of a 110 for Nigeria.

One is available.
Are you still interested

(1) (2) (Reply)

Genuine Accord 2003-2007 Service Manual Download / Car Vibrates At Above 100 Km/ph / Is Fort Oil(formerly AP) Super V Engine Oil 20w 50 A Good Oil?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.