Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers (12154 Views)

7 Truths About SEO That You Wont Be Told Anywhere Else / 7 Funny Things About BLOGGING. / 5 Hot Niches Nigerian Bloggers Underrate -Techinfo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by looseweight: 7:33am On Jun 16, 2016
Ok
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by santopelele(m): 7:40am On Jun 16, 2016
please how can I get a free website? which website should I go? help me out please
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by stiflerdrug: 7:41am On Jun 16, 2016
You! My boss is on points.. Thanks
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Nobody: 7:52am On Jun 16, 2016
webincomeplus:
Everyone and their dogs are creating blogs everyday. Yes, that's because blogging can be very lucrative. After all, Linda Ikeji, Uche Pedro, and several others are proofs to that effect.

But with the rate at which everyone is hopping onto the bandwagon of blogging, one might start to get worried about competition and all that. My friend, the truth is there are much fewer successful blogs than useless ones that will never make a dime. So, the blogosphere might seem saturated, but there's always room for new entrants to turn blogging into a business if they play their cards right.

Here in Nigeria, we have several thousands of people who claim to be bloggers, but the truth is only few of these people really make decent income online. Majority of blogs run by Nigerians are either struggling or outright failures. So, there's no fierce competition! Unless you think competition entails running a race with failed ventures.

Now, let's talk about how to become a successful blogger in Nigeria.

You've probably been told that all you need to do to start making money from blogging is to create a free blog, copy interesting articles from other blogs (or probably formulate lies and false news), slap up Adsense ads, and sit back to watch your bank account grow fatter. My friend, that's bullshi.t.

Now, let me ask you this: If you already read an interesting news update on Linda Ikeji's blog or Vanguard newspaper's website, would you still go ahead to click on the link to the same news posted by one unknown blogger? No, you won't! That explains why copy-and-paste blogging is one of the best ways in the world to waste your precious time.

And it drives me crazy when anyone tells me he/she wants to start an entertainment/celebrity gist blog. For crying out loud, that's one of the niches where it's hardest to be creative, and to attract an audience. I'm not saying you can't build a successful entertainment blog now, but it's far more difficult than what obtains in other niches.

So, your first step towards becoming a successful blogger in Nigeria is to find a niche that allows for expression of creativity. One that you're passionate and knowledgeable about. And most importantly, one that Nigerians (or others outside) are searching the web for information on.

I understand that you probably read physics with electronics in the university. But if you start a blog on that topics just because you're an expert on it, your blog would be read by you, one of your siblings, and probably your fiancee.

So, the most important factor to consider when choosing a topic to blog about, to me, is not interest or passion. It's a market for that topic! Although interest and passion are equally important, an impressive number of online followership of that topic is more important because that's what determines how much money you'll make. Well, the financial worth of your target audience is also something worth considering.

Yes, virtually every Nigerian is interested about entertainment and celebrity gist. And they search Google for information regarding celebs and others. But entertainment isn't the only lucrative niche. Others include job search/careers, visa acquisition tips, education-related information, and lots more (see here].

I still have a lot to teach as far as blogging in Nigeria is concerned. But let me stop here for now. I'll be back to continue.

PS. Pardon any typographical, grammatical, or style errors you see in this piece. I typed this quickly and didn't bother to edit.

Thank you boss...

More blogging tips
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Princepoint(m): 7:53am On Jun 16, 2016
bloggers and traffic
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by wizkidblogger(f): 8:01am On Jun 16, 2016
Entertainment niche is still the best in Nigeria if you know what's up.

You think everybody reads Linda ikeji? Does Linda Ikeji posts all interesting gists online? It all boils down to creativity and how you promote your blog.

Tell us how many non-entertainment blogs that are in top100 on Alexa.

Check Google Trends and all you will see there are entertainment keywords. So?

Pls leave trash for lawma.

Physics blog kor, Chemistry blogging nii..lol smiley
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Emeka71(m): 8:03am On Jun 16, 2016
mbaeke1:
Will love to learn either forex trading or blogging, which is better? If possible the two, will need somebody that will put me through. Thanks
FOREX Trading.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by omonnakoda: 8:07am On Jun 16, 2016
webincomeplus:
Everyone and their dogs are creating blogs everyday. Yes, that's because blogging can be very lucrative. After all, Linda Ikeji, Uche Pedro, and several others are proofs to that effect.

But with the rate at which everyone is hopping onto the bandwagon of blogging, one might start to get worried about competition and all that. My friend, the truth is there are much fewer successful blogs than useless ones that will never make a dime. So, the blogosphere might seem saturated, but there's always room for new entrants to turn blogging into a business if they play their cards right.

Here in Nigeria, we have several thousands of people who claim to be bloggers, but the truth is only few of these people really make decent income online. Majority of blogs run by Nigerians are either struggling or outright failures. So, there's no fierce competition! Unless you think competition entails running a race with failed ventures.

You've probably been told that all you need to do to start making money from blogging is to create a free blog, copy interesting articles from other blogs (or probably formulate lies and false news), slap up Adsense ads, and sit back to watch your bank account grow fatter. My friend, that's bullshi.t.

Now, let me ask you this: If you already read an interesting news update on Linda Ikeji's blog or Vanguard newspaper's website, would you still go ahead to click on the link to the same news posted by one unknown blogger? No, you won't! That explains why copy-and-paste blogging is one of the best ways in the world to waste your precious time.

And it drives me crazy when anyone tells me he/she wants to start an entertainment/celebrity gist blog. For crying out loud, that's one of the niches where it's hardest to be creative, and to attract an audience. I'm not saying you can't build a successful entertainment blog now, but it's far more difficult than what obtains in other niches.

So, your first step towards becoming a successful blogger in Nigeria is to find a niche that allows for expression of creativity. One that you're passionate and knowledgeable about. And most importantly, one that Nigerians (or others outside) are searching the web for information on.

I understand that you probably read physics with electronics in the university. But if you start a blog on that topics just because you're an expert on it, your blog would be read by you, one of your siblings, and probably your fiancee.

So, the most important factor to consider when choosing a topic to blog about, to me, is not interest or passion. It's a market for that topic! Although interest and passion are equally important, an impressive number of online followership of that topic is more important because that's what determines how much money you'll make. Well, the financial worth of your target audience is also something worth considering.

Yes, virtually every Nigerian is interested about entertainment and celebrity gist. And they search Google for information regarding celebs and others. But entertainment isn't the only lucrative niche. Others include job search/careers, visa acquisition tips, education-related information, and lots more (see here].

I still have a lot to teach as far as blogging in Nigeria is concerned. But let me stop here for now. I'll be back to continue.

PS. Pardon any typographical, grammatical, or style errors you see in this piece. I typed this quickly and didn't bother to edit.
Not everyone is in it for money.I have come across a blog that is very good and almost a secret. But then wisdom is often a secret and often scorned, pearls before swine and all that......Some blogs may only be appreciated after the creator dies. So success is not about money always but touching lives and like a good book a good blog will be useful in 1000 years.
With respect the last sentence is silly for someone who is positioning himself as a dispenser of insights.
Come back when you have a "successful " blog and CAN BOTHER to edit. Rubbish!!!

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by realGURU(m): 8:11am On Jun 16, 2016
wizkidblogger:
Entertainment niche is still the best in Nigeria if you know what's up.

You think everybody reads Linda ikeji? Does Linda Ikeji posts all interesting gists online? It all boils down to creativity and how you promote your blog.

Tell us how many non-entertainment blogs that are in top100 on Alexa.

Check Google Trends and all you will see there are entertainment keywords. So?

Pls leave trash for lawma.

Physics blog kor, Chemistry blogging nii..lol smiley
try to be creative, do u mean entertaiment is better than educatiƶn? Do u know how many people are researching academic problems

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by ndizzy(m): 8:14am On Jun 16, 2016
quite typical of most of these so called made bloggers who scribble afew lines of text calling out people to get publicity for a product/service. if you that good, focus on your mega million empire and leave the 2cents bloggers who just gave u a traffic hike on ur web page.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by ericeben: 9:00am On Jun 16, 2016
even with copy nd paste, following D rules if u jst can get Adsense verified nd u hv the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdxlIJhq7cg
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by realGURU(m): 9:10am On Jun 16, 2016
webincomeplus:

Others include job search/careers, visa acquisition tips, education-related information, and lots more , what does an unemployed youth get or some seeking for admission have to spend online

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by careercrew1: 9:11am On Jun 16, 2016
Well I decided to start my own blog www.careercrew..com not to copy others but to be different and write on things which will help job seekers and people who are already employed....You can check it out and rate it.. .I am always open to criticism.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by careercrew1: 9:12am On Jun 16, 2016
ericeben:
even with copy nd paste, following D rules if u jst can get Adsense verified nd u hv the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdxlIJhq7cg
Please can you post the rules here.. .Am a new blogger
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by mceze(m): 9:14am On Jun 16, 2016
mbaeke1:
Will love to learn either forex trading or blogging, which is better? If possible the two, will need somebody that will put me through. Thanks

Contact me and I will put you through in the little way I can in forex trading-08036423660

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by ephi123(f): 9:48am On Jun 16, 2016
realGURU:
@ webincomeplus, "I understand that you probably read physics with electronics in the university. But if you start a blog on that topics just because you're an expert on it, your blog would be read by you, one of your siblings, and probably your fiancee."
this part u said got me shaking my head in disbelief. If blog like www.physicslectures.info can have such huge traffics in less than six month[ i check from the blog archive] i doubt ur statement. Infact am copying that physics blop but my niche will be biology. See what blog expert said about niche blogging and stop misleading people https://www.nairaland.com/3121336/profitable-blogging-niche

Exactly. I disagreed with that line; you would be surprised there are many people out there that have an interest in Physics. I would rather recommend blogging in an area you are very passionate about, the crowd will follow.

Every other comment OP made was right on point.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Empredboy(m): 10:33am On Jun 16, 2016
webincomeplus:

Nice points. Please can i open a google Adsense account on my free blog?
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by 360command: 10:59am On Jun 16, 2016
Anything about blogging on nairaland does not carry traffic. The truth is, you can make it through blogging but don't think about "making money quickly through blogging". If you think that way, nothing for you.
Blogging is done with time and if you do follow some procedures things might turn good for you.
**step**
Find a profitable niche eg health,fitness,dating etc
Build a blogsite n buy a domain
Find a suitable keyword
Conduct your on-page\Off-page SEO.
Link your site to various web 2.0(reddit,stumbleupon,forums),guest posting etc
Employ social media service (fb,twitter,instagram)
Improve alexa ranking & concentrate on your traffic stats eg fb,twitter, etc
Also, update your blog with new articles..
Advice: nigeria traffic does not really pay like that, target tier 1 countries.
... Please do not send me PM, cos I do not have access to my password for my email..
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by Naijasinglegirl: 11:02am On Jun 16, 2016
henrydadon:
smiley op I agree with you with what about creating a niche for your self..most of this so called entertainment blog just post the same news all over again..check out Naijasinglegirl blog..her blog is successful today because she never join the bad wagon.she different..she found her own style of blogging..she created her own original articles or story..even though most of her story might be fictitious and over exaggerated..people still find her her funny and keep coiming back for more..and very soon by God grace I see her becoming very big in the nearest future wink
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lol

2 Likes

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by iamord(m): 12:47pm On Jun 16, 2016
360command:
Anything about blogging on nairaland does not carry traffic. The truth is, you can make it through blogging but don't think about "making money quickly through blogging". If you think that way, nothing for you.
Blogging is done with time and if you do follow some procedures things might turn good for you.
**step**
Find a profitable niche eg health,fitness,dating etc
Build a blogsite n buy a domain
Find a suitable keyword
Conduct your on-page\Off-page SEO.
Link your site to various web 2.0(reddit,stumbleupon,forums),guest posting etc
Employ social media service (fb,twitter,instagram)
Improve alexa ranking & concentrate on your traffic stats eg fb,twitter, etc
Also, update your blog with new articles..
Advice: nigeria traffic does not really pay like that, target tier 1 countries.
... Please do not send me PM, cos I do not have access to my password for my email..

Pls how feasible is the architecture, travel and tourism niche
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by wizkidblogger(f): 4:08pm On Jun 16, 2016
realGURU:
try to be creative, do u mean entertaiment is better than educatiƶn? Do u know how many people are researching academic problems

Shebi that's why Nigeria is the most educated country in the world. We are talking about blogging here, not research....
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by femdevcon(f): 4:57pm On Jun 16, 2016
mbaeke1:

I can WhatsApp 0-9-0-5-9-8-1-1-4-2-2

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by 360command: 5:07pm On Jun 16, 2016
iamord:

Pls how feasible is the architecture, travel and tourism niche
travel n tourism pays very well. There is this travel ad network company that pays 20 dollars to ur paypal acct if you have written about 3-5 travel article. Can't remember now!

Architecture, no idea.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by 360command: 5:09pm On Jun 16, 2016
wizkidblogger:

Shebi that's why Nigeria is the most educated country in the world. We are talking about blogging here, not research....
lol! Nigeria,most educated country in d world!

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by 360command: 5:21pm On Jun 16, 2016
santopelele:
please how can I get a free website? which website should I go? help me out please
use wordpress or blogger by using pages. Or you can download adobe muse which is easier to help setup a website.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by iamord(m): 6:46pm On Jun 16, 2016
360command:
travel n tourism pays very well. There is this travel ad network company that pays 20 dollars to ur paypal acct if you have written about 3-5 travel article. Can't remember now!

Architecture, no idea.
thank you very much. That's quite a huge amount... But that will be if I am guest posting there. What am working on is a game changer in Africa. A bit complex but worth it. It will be of travel 'tourism & architecture. Am also looking for more innovative monetization tips and attracting quality guest bloggers
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by 360command: 10:55pm On Jun 16, 2016
iamord:
thank you very much. That's quite a huge amount... But that will be if I am guest posting there. What am working on is a game changer in Africa. A bit complex but worth it. It will be of travel 'tourism & architecture. Am also looking for more innovative monetization tips and attracting quality guest bloggers
monetization tips for travel niche, I would go for affiliate marketing as adsense revenues are dropping as time goes on. Affiliate marketing is more viable in the long term. Just build a list, build value to your site and get genuine audience.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by webincomeplus(m): 12:20am On Jun 17, 2016
realGURU:
@ webincomeplus, "I understand that you probably read physics with electronics in the university. But if you start a blog on that topics just because you're an expert on it, your blog would be read by you, one of your siblings, and probably your fiancee."
this part u said got me shaking my head in disbelief. If blog like www.physicslectures.info can have such huge traffics in less than six month[ i check from the blog archive] i doubt ur statement. Infact am copying that physics blop but my niche will be biology. See what blog expert said about niche blogging and stop misleading people https://www.nairaland.com/3121336/profitable-blogging-niche
And what has the expert said about niche blogging? Who is the expert?

Well, I don't see any huge traffic on the blog you showed. Alexa ranking was over 9 million. So, there's nothing spectacular. The visitor count shown in the sidebar is majorly visits by spambots and crawlers, if you know what those mean -- it's not human traffic. If it were human traffic, which Alexa a blog attracting an 73,000+ visits in 6 months won't rank 9 million+. The gold standard for traffic monitoring is Google Analytics. It's more accurate than most other analytics tools out there.

Moreover, if the visits shown in the sidebar were truly by humans, how come there's no comment on the posts despite the fact that comments are enabled. Or you want to tell me that none out of the 73,000+ "visitors" deemed it fit to leave a comment?

And when I stated the part of my post you quoted, I was referring to the Nigerian audience majorly. How many Nigerians search the web for materials related to Physics or Biology? Don't chase shadows, my sister. There are far better niches out there where you can do better.

1 Like

Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by webincomeplus(m): 12:26am On Jun 17, 2016
DJBIGGY:
forget all that yans.... u can still be an entertainment blogger and be successfully any day. problem is that Nigerians are messed up lazy and want the easy way out. what stops a health blogger from copy issues from health sites and claim they wrote it.

there are a thousand and one product in the open market and online market. what make you unique us content, content, and still content.

if Nigerians can learn to be innovative, blogging can still take over as the best entrepreneurial business one can. offer.
Please learn to read between lines. I already stated this in my post: "I'm not saying you can't build a successful entertainment blog now,..."
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by webincomeplus(m): 12:31am On Jun 17, 2016
omonnakoda:
Not everyone is in it for money.I have come across a blog that is very good and almost a secret. But then wisdom is often a secret and often scorned, pearls before swine and all that......Some blogs may only be appreciated after the creator dies. So success is not about money always but touching lives and like a good book a good blog will be useful in 1000 years.
With respect the last sentence is silly for someone who is positioning himself as a dispenser of insights.
Come back when you have a "successful " blog and CAN BOTHER to edit. Rubbish!!!

Of course, this post wasn't aimed at those blogging for fun or as a hobby. It's targeted at those who want to make a living blogging and see successful blogging as profitable blogging.

Well, I think your comment on my last sentence is sillier because I don't see how it should give you headaches or palpitations. And for your info, I have a number of successful blogs, and all I'll be revealing here is based on 5 years of blogging experience. I don't need your opinion on my words at all.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by webincomeplus(m): 12:33am On Jun 17, 2016
Empredboy:
Nice points. Please can i open a google Adsense account on my free blog?
Which blogging platform are you on? If it's Blogger, the answer is YES. If it's , the answer is NO.
Re: The Truths About Blogging: My 2 Cents To Wannabe Nigerian Bloggers by webincomeplus(m): 12:46am On Jun 17, 2016
babarazy:
Nice info op. But, are you a successful blogger?
Thanks for your question. It all depends on your definition of success.

If what you mean by success is income, then I'm successful. I have a blog that earns at least $900 in Adsense every month. I have another that earns at least $150 from Amazon affiliate program (and I'm even building another that is already making money). And I have a third blog, where I make money from information marketing and freelancing. Finally, I have a fast selling ebook titled, "How to Get Your Dream Job in Nigeria", which also fetches a decent income monthly. You can Google the title to see for yourself. If you're still doubting, I can show you screenshots of my earnings from Adsense and Amazon.

If what you mean by success is the number of people I've helped in one way or the other to establish profitable online businesses, then I'd also say I'm successful. Here are some of the blogs owned by people I've mentored (blogs that I'm sure are already making cool money consistently):

homeremediesbox.com (Adsense, affiliate marketing)
(Adsense)
reviewcious.com (Adsense)
sheiscomplete.com (Freelancing)
nigeriafashiontrends.com (Adsense)
naturalhealthbag.com (Adsense, affiliate marketing)

Those are the ones I can remember for now. Feel free to contact the owners and ask if they know Abass Toriola.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

8 Classic Ways To Make Money From Blogging / What Are The Best Nigerian Forums? / How I Increased My Website Traffic To 1000 Unique Visitors Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.