Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,192 members, 7,829,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

How Does This Spetic Tank Work? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Does This Spetic Tank Work? (23479 Views)

How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) / Antirust Water Stanchion Tower For Plastic Or Steel Tank (PICTURES) / How Does A Red Copy Survey Look? Pls See Mine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by Mailthaddeus(m): 7:36am On Jun 17, 2016
It's very easy, it's a way used to install septic tanks in area with loose cohensionless subsoil, such as in bayelsa state. u notice that when u excavate for septic tank, the surrounding soil keeps falling back into the pi
t making construction difficult and dangerous as a total sliding or cave-in might occur, so the best way is to cast the concrete tank, and sing it into the ground by digging its surroundings and pumping out excess water wit a pumping machine, the tank sinks into d ground with its own weight as the soil below gets digged out. At the end, u flow it and slab the top.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by lilreese: 7:38am On Jun 17, 2016
Interesting.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by duality(m): 8:07am On Jun 17, 2016
I didn't do mine like this. Though the soil is clay soil with high water table.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by Rapture4real(m): 8:12am On Jun 17, 2016
akinloluwao:
Its very simple. They will sink it by digging the sand around it. Just watch them when they are at it..lol

This is our system in Bonny here.It is good for a waterlogged area.I've seen it done separately but it's almost the same.They will construct it as it is on the particular area.Of course the under is not concert used as at this time it is opened.So some men will go inside digging it round including under it.It will be going down little by little till it reaches its maximum point.If it is waterlogged place like Bonny,they will leave almost one quarter of it outside while they will put its cover.As time goes on it will be sinking by itself till it finally levels up.Here they don't concretise the base.It is left like that.This good in an area always waterlogged and where it rains always like Bonny in Rivers state
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by suteco16: 8:21am On Jun 17, 2016
Reading
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 17, 2016
nnemak:
Today, they pumped water out of it and I noticed serious digging inside.

In the second picture here. Can you see the stuff is already sinking.. ?
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by Konnektions146(m): 8:30am On Jun 17, 2016
mufutau55:

Good. We are all learning sir.

Hajji M.

I have not had anything to do with you but i so much ADMIRE you Sir.

a typical of a role model

not some Adults that insult and rain abuses like kids.

Papa Hajji M.,

You inspire a lot of people here . Thank you

1 Like

Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by frisky2good(m): 8:43am On Jun 17, 2016
It's like making concrete rings go down while digging a well.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by Skmoda360(m): 8:56am On Jun 17, 2016
nnemak:

Dear Experienced builders,

Until recently i assumed these structures were put in place to temporarily collect water to aid building as i notice they disappear after the building was completed.

I even had an argument with my spouse that it was not really possible for it to be submerged later until i noticed one out of the two that's been constructed adjacent my residence had submerged and was severing as septic tank!

Please can someone educate me on this?

Am following the one that is still on the surface as i want to see when it would "disappear" submerge
Correct your topic 'septic' tank
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by Nobody: 9:00am On Jun 17, 2016
I am seeing this for the first time but it will cost twice the block method. Anyway efficiency is key. Very good initiative/technology

I have neva built on waterlogged area though..
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by Almaiga: 9:03am On Jun 17, 2016
What's the difference between a Septic tank and a Soak-away.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by notindome(m): 9:26am On Jun 17, 2016
opalu:
Also don't let the pipes to run into the septic tank at middle point. Because most Nairalanders whose site I went to correct, the sewerage pipes enter the tanks at middle so it get full easily. They got the slope wrong from the manholes and Inspection chambers.

The sewage pipe entering into the septic tank from the IC/MH, Was there a kind of sleeve used to make its entry point on the wall of the tank when casting? or it will be chiselled out?
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by kenoz(m): 10:32am On Jun 17, 2016
undecided
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by mrinsurer: 11:35am On Jun 17, 2016
You can cast perfect and cost effective septic tank by using Formwork by Fyncorp 08034911406

Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by lordcashflow(m): 12:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
OP correct ur title............... SEPTIC TANK
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by agitator: 1:56pm On Jun 17, 2016
Almaiga:

People have been using the two words interchangeably, whereas they mean two different things.

Septic tank is the one that is the feces are channeled to, while Soak-away is meant to drain the waste water used to flush the toilet.

If you check older houses, the thanks is normally divided into two with one part built with blocks straight up like walls and plastered. While the other part the blocks are laid on their sides with the holes facing into the tank and the surrounding soil. There is usually a connecting 4" pipe at the top part between the two.

Alternatively, some designs had the two tanks separate side by side with the Septic tank being the bigger.

Picture 1 shows typical way Septic tank wall blocks are laid and it is also plastered.

Picture 2 shows some blocks blocks are laid on the side of a soak-away pit/tank.

1 Like

Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by mufutau55(m): 2:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
Konnektions146:

I have not had anything to do with you but i so much ADMIRE you Sir.
a typical of a role model
not some Adults that insult and rain abuses like kids.
Papa Hajji M.,
You inspire a lot of people here . Thank you

Thank you very much Sir. But Papa not o, I be young man o.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by mufutau55(m): 2:57pm On Jun 17, 2016
Almaiga:

Septic Tank is one that house the feces (usually solid and tight not to leak)
Soak-away is for water waste and the water just sink to the ground from it... (usually perforated when built)

That is the short summary version.

Hajji M.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by suco01(m): 3:21pm On Jun 17, 2016
wilt all the xplanation opalu, d part I no get is hw u'll dig till dat tank enta d hole fully b4 pipping and covering, cos am wondering while diggin and d tank is enterin into d hole, wont or fall part like tearing? . me neva understand am cos am used to d normal one where u dig, build, use pillat @ edges .
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by mufutau55(m): 3:24pm On Jun 17, 2016
suco01:
wilt all the xplanation opalu, d part I no get is hw u'll dig till dat tank enta d hole fully b4 pipping and covering. me neva understand am cos am used to d normal one where u dig, build, use pillat @ edges .

Piping can go on top edge when they are doing the decking for it, they still have to deck the top.

Hajji M.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by suco01(m): 3:30pm On Jun 17, 2016
[quote author=mufutau55 post=46661931]

Piping can go on top edge when they are doing the decking for it, they still have to deck the top.

Hajji M.
[/quote

Bro hw wil d building on surface go down without it tearing apart.?.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by olawale100: 4:24pm On Jun 17, 2016
It is a very systematic process and it must be done by those that are well versed in it.

The digging is done in such a way that the sides go down uniformly. That in itself take some expertise
because it has to be leveled.

The most important part is the sealing. I witnessed one, after they get to the base, granite is poured and a
hole is dug at the middle and a 4 inch pipe that is lacerated is kept inside.

That is where the pumping machine hose is connected to and left to pump for many hours.

If properly done, cars can drive on it
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by mufutau55(m): 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2016
mufutau55:

Hajji M.
Bro hw wil d building on surface go down without it tearing apart.?.

They still had to dig the ground and around the building and lay the pipes and run it into the septic tank.. or else I am not understanding your question.

Hajji M.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by opalu: 6:23pm On Jun 17, 2016
notindome:

The sewage pipe entering into the septic tank from the IC/MH, Was there a kind of sleeve used to make its entry point on the wall of the tank when casting? or it will be chiselled out?

Chiselling or sleeves can work. But most times the former is practically feasible except you can predetermine the exact spot it will go in at casting stage.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by notindome(m): 8:28pm On Jun 17, 2016
opalu:

Chiselling or sleeves can work. But most times the former is practically feasible except you can predetermine the exact spot it will go in at casting stage.

Okay. Thank you.
Regards.
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by igbanbajo(m): 1:03am On Jun 18, 2016
opalu:
[b]Luckily I have cast and buried very many of such tanks. And I want to explain it in very plain manner.

Remember that in the villages and in many towns, to do your soakaway, you just dig the ground and use blocks to build the walls of the soakaway inside the dug pit. Then you turn some blocks so that the waste liquids can flow through the holes of the block into the soil. Then the solid waste is left inside the soakaway.

But in towns and cities where the water is very near like in lekki and VI, if you do that normal soakaway, the water from the ground will turn it into a swimming pool in just 1 day or 2! You cannot use blocks to do the walls because the water pressure plus earth pressure will collapse it inside the ground. And even before then, water would pass through any holes allowed into it.

But people in the house must poopoo. So the best solution builders adopt is to cast the whole thing on the ground after reinforcement and carpentry works. We use waterproof admixture to improve the water resistance of the structure. We also plaster it and apply felting to it (if the client doesn't over negotiate).
Thereafter, some guys your are expert in SINKING septic tanks enter inside and continually dig and dig until the entire structure reaches the required level. If you don't engage a good plumber and a land surveyor, they may sink the tank below the required level therefore making it not work properly. Or they make it to be too high that it would not flow with the compound level.
So after sinking it, you will start seeing water inside like swimming pool except you did it in very dry season. You use 2 or 1 pumping machine to bail out the water to the point that it becomes very dry. Then suddenly you seal the bottom using DPM, chemicals and cement mortar. That sealing stops the water completely. They way you seal is systematically. You seal one side and allow space for water to pass through another place until the sealing dries. Then block that hole and run your rebars and cast fast fast fast. cool
Please don't try this at home. Because many who we explain like this to jump to "Do It Yourself " and they mess up the whole septic tank.

Any septic tank done wrongly will get full easily and they will have to pump the sewage out every 6 months or 9 months or even 3 months. A good one will last very long before needing a pump. The waste water can have its own compartment or just to flow into the public drain. I mean water from kitchen and bath etc.

After the bottom, the top slab is cast using formwork and rebars also. There must be openings with precast concrete cover. Your interlocking should pass over the tank if you got the level perfectly. Also don't let the pipes to run into the septic tank at middle point. Because most Nairalanders whose site I went to correct, the sewerage pipes enter the tanks at middle so it get full easily. They got the slope wrong from the manholes and Inspection chambers. [/b]
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by nnemak(m): 4:39pm On Jun 18, 2016
see yesterdays process....

Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by nnemak(m): 4:44pm On Jun 18, 2016
As it stands currently

Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by Themandator: 10:16am On Jun 19, 2016
opalu:
[b]Luckily I have cast and buried very many of such tanks. And I want to explain it in very plain manner.

Remember that in the villages and in many towns, to do your soakaway, you just dig the ground and use blocks to build the walls of the soakaway inside the dug pit. Then you turn some blocks so that the waste liquids can flow through the holes of the block into the soil. Then the solid waste is left inside the soakaway.

But in towns and cities where the water is very near like in lekki and VI, if you do that normal soakaway, the water from the ground will turn it into a swimming pool in just 1 day or 2! You cannot use blocks to do the walls because the water pressure plus earth pressure will collapse it inside the ground. And even before then, water would pass through any holes allowed into it.

But people in the house must poopoo. So the best solution builders adopt is to cast the whole thing on the ground after reinforcement and carpentry works. We use waterproof admixture to improve the water resistance of the structure. We also plaster it and apply felting to it (if the client doesn't over negotiate).
Thereafter, some guys your are expert in SINKING septic tanks enter inside and continually dig and dig until the entire structure reaches the required level. If you don't engage a good plumber and a land surveyor, they may sink the tank below the required level therefore making it not work properly. Or they make it to be too high that it would not flow with the compound level.
So after sinking it, you will start seeing water inside like swimming pool except you did it in very dry season. You use 2 or 1 pumping machine to bail out the water to the point that it becomes very dry. Then suddenly you seal the bottom using DPM, chemicals and cement mortar. That sealing stops the water completely. They way you seal is systematically. You seal one side and allow space for water to pass through another place until the sealing dries. Then block that hole and run your rebars and cast fast fast fast. cool
Please don't try this at home. Because many who we explain like this to jump to "Do It Yourself " and they mess up the whole septic tank.

Any septic tank done wrongly will get full easily and they will have to pump the sewage out every 6 months or 9 months or even 3 months. A good one will last very long before needing a pump. The waste water can have its own compartment or just to flow into the public drain. I mean water from kitchen and bath etc.

After the bottom, the top slab is cast using formwork and rebars also. There must be openings with precast concrete cover. Your interlocking should pass over the tank if you got the level perfectly. Also don't let the pipes to run into the septic tank at middle point. Because most Nairalanders whose site I went to correct, the sewerage pipes enter the tanks at middle so it get full easily. They got the slope wrong from the manholes and Inspection chambers. [/b]

Please, how safe is the storey building in that picture, considering this water story
Re: How Does This Spetic Tank Work? by guidsy(m): 8:34pm On Aug 01, 2021
Okay this is 2021 with lots of improvement in the way we do different things.

One of such is in the construction of septic tanks which no longer requires all the digging and burying of concrete tanks especially for houses in waterlogged neighbourhood.

We have a modern way of construction septic tanks which is very portable in size, doesn't get full and works in whatever kind of terrain.

The technology is called a biodigester, it processes human toilet waste into water and the rest is history.

We offer free assessment of your site and provide prompt service delivery.

We are one phone call away
0810 6977 455

(1) (2) (Reply)

Emeka Ikwechegh Donates New House To Blind Woman In Abia (Photos) / Photos: Shops In Oshodi Under Demolition / Need Quality Painting & Screeding for your Building? Call Danny Painters!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.