Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance (21282 Views)

Stocks Market Records N314bn Gain In First Half / Re: New Forex Policy - Depreciation, Not Devaluation? / IMF To Buhari: Your Forex Policy Is Distorting The Economy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 17, 2016
Make prices of tomatoes and petroleum come down Patapata.Na those ones sure pass.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by onatisi(m): 1:53pm On Jun 17, 2016
Penisinpenisout:
Imagine they did this six months ago
The frontpage news of today would have been soo different.
exactly. This is something everybody had been telling the dullard to do for the past 12 months ,instead he kept saying he doesn't see the reason to devalue and he needs to be convinced of its benefits .it is only in Nigeria that the citizens celebrate the sluggishness and ineptitude of their leaders as a mark of wisdom

2 Likes

Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by Oblitz(m): 1:55pm On Jun 17, 2016
babdap:
Make I hear Buhari is a duallard for this thread.

even person wey dey play baba ijebu dey win at times. no big deal for this news.
i don't support someone carrying out experiments with our collective destinies.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:17pm On Jun 17, 2016
What a sad news prelude to the weekend for wailers! Sad news everyday now for wailers!
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by deleo16(m): 2:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/2835253/tb-joshua-reveals-2016-prophecies reminds me of the prophesy about him on devaluation of the naira
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by peaceuntous: 2:34pm On Jun 17, 2016
proeast:
Thats a welcome development, Nigeria going beyond this depth of hopelessness could result to anarchy! Our diaspora brethren could help both the economy & themselves by investing in assets like land here in Nigeria through remittances. Its a win-win situation because their hard currency is now over-valued since the CBN removed the peg on naira. We at Galaxy Properties are here to make sure that no shylock relative or friend rips you off, as we will have direct transaction with you while they come for inspection & feed back to you on their observation.

Maybe you are a trustworthy reputable business.
But guys outside the country have had their fingers burnt also by shylocks in your line of business. Anyone who wants to go into property in nigeria knows it is full of risks at every corner. From omoniles and locals, to lawyers and agents, to property managers, to ministry of land officers. The list is endless. You dont buy a land unless u are building immediately. And be ready to forfeit the whole money u paid for the land.

I can give evidence if you want. But i know you know what i am saying is true. You may be genuine. But land business in this our beloved country is SHINE YOUR EYES. TRUST NO FELLA.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by Orikinla(m): 2:42pm On Jun 17, 2016

Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by Orikinla(m): 2:43pm On Jun 17, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
What a sad news prelude to the weekend for wailers! Sad news everyday now for wailers!
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by snthesis(m): 2:43pm On Jun 17, 2016
d players have made dia cash and waiting to dump stocks on the gullible
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by blarkraimez: 2:44pm On Jun 17, 2016
raphealolami:
Nigeria shall be great again and we will all witness and eat the fruit thereof.
Amin o jesu
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by tinsel: 2:46pm On Jun 17, 2016
erico2k2:
All this noise let Monday come.I thought they suspended forex trade until monday? ??
Is this not your country? Are you praying for the worst? Are you immuned from the suffering if the worst happened?. I really don't understand how some people will wish her/his country bad.

2 Likes

Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by proeast(m): 2:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
peaceuntous:

Maybe you are a trustworthy reputable business.
But guys outside the country have had their fingers burnt also by shylocks in your line of business. Anyone who wants to go into property in nigeria knows it is full of risks at every corner. From omoniles and locals, to lawyers and agents, to property managers, to ministry of land officers. The list is endless. You dont buy a land unless u are building immediately. And be ready to forfeit the whole money u paid for the land.

I can give evidence if you want. But i know you know what i am saying is true. You may be genuine. But land business in this our beloved country is SHINE YOUR EYES. TRUST NO FELLA.
You are right but Omonile is rife mainly in Lagos. We have never had any issue on fraud. Remember that while we transact directly with our client, he will still involve his lawyer & trusted ones to supervise what is on ground & they will give him feed-back before makes any payment whatsoever.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by BABSIN(m): 3:06pm On Jun 17, 2016
One of the major factor in the seemingly defeat of Boko Haram is cash Crunch in the society. It was actually a blessing in disguised .
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by demo4ril97(m): 3:07pm On Jun 17, 2016
So what do you think will be the outcome rate?
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by 989900: 3:11pm On Jun 17, 2016
According to Bloomberg News, stocks climbed 2.6 percent yesterday, the best performance worldwide, after jumping 3.2 per cent the previous day (Wednesday).

We're #1 for a good thing in a long while.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jun 17, 2016
raphealolami:
Nigeria shall be great again and we will all witness and eat the fruit thereof.
when was she ever great. Lol
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by omolola15(m): 3:25pm On Jun 17, 2016
Penisinpenisout:
Imagine they did this six months ago
The frontpage news of today would have been soo different.

They kept hoping the price of crude will improve. And that would have been a great advantage. Now it has improved and militants are not letting them sell. So they had to look for other alternatives. And floating is the only viable option on ground.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by omolola15(m): 3:30pm On Jun 17, 2016
onatisi:
exactly. This is something everybody had been telling the dullard to do for the past 12 months ,instead he kept saying he doesn't see the reason to devalue and he needs to be convinced of its benefits .it is only in Nigeria that the citizens celebrate the sluggishness and ineptitude of their leaders as a mark of wisdom

Please what does it mean to devalue the naira. And what does it mean to float it. And put in mind when it is devalued exchange rate will still be pegged. So I want to know your view on that. I hope you understand my question
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by omolola15(m): 3:33pm On Jun 17, 2016
eleojo23:
I am just waiting for Monday to hear the new exchange rate. That is my major concern now 'cos I've got some dollar transactions to make.

It might still be high now. But with time if demand and supply is balanced then we'll see a big improve on the exchange rate. But for now expect nothing less than 300.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by babdap: 3:34pm On Jun 17, 2016
Oblitz:

even person wey dey play baba ijebu dey win at times. no big deal for this news.
i don't support someone carrying out experiments with our collective destinies.
be objective and don't be truth thrift or economical with the truth. Learn to appreciate good thing so that bad things won't befell you always.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by eleojo23: 4:03pm On Jun 17, 2016
omolola15:

It might still be high now. But with time if demand and supply is balanced then we'll see a big improve on the exchange rate. But for now expect nothing less than 300.
If it is at 300, it is still fair. At least better than 350 or 370.
But I wish it can go down to around 250. That will be better.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by omolola15(m): 4:06pm On Jun 17, 2016
eleojo23:

If it is at 300, it is still fair. At least better than 350 or 370.
But I wish it can go down to around 250. That will be better.

With time we'll get there. Even below that.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by eleojo23: 4:08pm On Jun 17, 2016
omolola15:

With time we'll get there. Even below that.
Amen to that! smiley
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by HOTWATER(m): 4:13pm On Jun 17, 2016
After wasting one year of 170 million peoples life. And the annoying thing is the stupid children, who dont know anything and keep supporting the illiterate all along. When you try talking sense into them , they will call you a wailer.
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by Justpassingby2(m): 5:28pm On Jun 17, 2016
Lasgidy1:
Good things keep happening once The Ajala is not in town. I pray he stays put in his UK constituency till May 28th 2019

Gbam!!!! You have spoken well jawe.. Since I knw you na d first time wey you don talk sence... Sorry ooo na joke I dey ooo
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by ericuzor(m): 5:29pm On Jun 17, 2016
This is a systematic way of devaluation of the naira, imf applauded the government for the step taking and you all happy forgetting how buhari promised not to devalue our currency. .
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by dabossman(m): 7:09pm On Jun 17, 2016
onatisi:

I'm no economist, but is this really a devaluation?

dabossman:
There's been a lot of argument on Nairaland in the last 24 hours over the new CBN Forex Policy. Some have argued that it is a devaluation, asking why Buhari stubbornly refused to devalue the naira before, only to do so now. Others say it is in no way a devaluation. I'm not an Economist, so I decided to do some research, after all, we learn every day. I found some interesting articles that might throw a little more light on the matter.

Devaluation and Depreciation Definition

In general, everyday use, devaluation and depreciation are often used interchangeably. In fact for A Level economics it is not absolutely essential to distinguish between the two, but there is a distinct difference and using them correctly is good practice.

Essentially devaluation is changing the value of a currency in a fixed exchange rate. A depreciation is reducing the value in a floating exchange rate.

Definition of Devaluation

A devaluation is when a country makes a conscious decision to lower its exchange rate in a fixed or semi fixed exchange rate. Therefore, technically a devaluation is only possible if a country is a member of some fixed exchange rate policy.

For example in the late 1980s, the UK joined the Exchange Rate Mechanism ERM. Initially the value of the Pound was set between say 3DM and 3.2DM. However, if the government thought that was too high, they could make the decision to devalue and change the target exchange rate to 2.7DM and 2.9DM.

Definition of depreciation

When there is a fall in the value of a currency in a floating exchange rate. This is not due to a government’s decision, but due to supply and demand side factors. (Although if the government sold a lot of their currency they could help cause a depreciation.)

For example, the dollar has depreciated in value against the Euro during the last 12 months. This is due to market forces, there is no fixed exchange rate target for Euro to Dollar.

The problem is that in ever-day use, people talk about a devaluation in the dollar, when, technically speaking, they mean a depreciation in the dollar.

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/355/trade/devaluation-and-depreciation-definition/
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by onatisi(m): 7:15pm On Jun 17, 2016
dabossman:

I'm no economist, but is this really a devaluation?

Thank you ,but the crux of the matter hasn't been on devaluation per se but in government taken off its hands and allowing the market determine the price,by rigidly sticking to the fixed rate of 197,the nation has lost a lot of economic ground
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by dabossman(m): 7:57pm On Jun 17, 2016
onatisi:

Thank you ,but the crux of the matter hasn't been on devaluation per se but in government taken off its hands and allowing the market determine the price,by rigidly sticking to the fixed rate of 197,the nation has lost a lot of economic ground

I do agree that a lot of ground has been lost. I guess this is a new approach for us as a nation having been used to having the fixed and parallel market system for years. The government of change was apparently skeptical about making a change in that area. Well, better late than never. Truth is devaluing your currency is not exactly a sweet pill to swallow.

dabossman:

Long Term Impact of Depreciation or Devaluation of the Currency :

Depreciation of the currency is a slow process and value of the currency automatically gets adjusted by the market forces. Thus, once the currency of a country has depreciated, the investors from other countries will see an opportunity and are likely to shift from other economies. This will help in boosting the economy which may in the long run even push back the value of the currency.

On the other hand in case of devaluation, there is less trust in the economy and once currency is devalued, Government finds it very difficult to revalue the same by government dictate as there will be fear that such revaluation can backfire and put the economy in risk mode.

http://www.allbankingsolutions.com/Banking-Tutor/Depreciation-vs-Devaluation-of-Currency.htm
Re: New Forex Policy: Stock Market Records Best Global Performance by oshiokpu(m): 7:25am On Jun 18, 2016
Good....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Paid For Reading News Daily / Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria / How Do I Monitor My CSCS Account Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.