Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Funny Nicknames For Footballers. - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Funny Nicknames For Footballers. (21168 Views)

Adidas’ Laceless Boot Is A Wonderful News For Footballers. / Is It Good For Footballers To Smoke. / Funny Nicknames Of Premiership Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by koolchicco: 8:44pm On Sep 04, 2009
badboym:

Yuri Zhirkov (Chelsea)     Yori Yori cheesy

Rotfmao  grin grin
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by stanloski(m): 8:58pm On Sep 04, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Yisa Sofoluwe--Defence minister
Aloy Atuegbu--Blockbuster (rip)
Kelechi Emetole--'Katapila'
Iyke Madukairo (RIP)--Man mountain
Law Ukaegbu--Danjuma (earned the name at Ikenanzizi Sec school).
Sylvester Oparanozie--Alaowere
Emmanuel Isah--Yaro yaro
Emeka Anwana--Nkita ara
Kalu Uche--Senegal
Samson Ozogula-Zion Train
Mobi Oparaku--Mobile Mobi
Phillip Osondu--Zanza
Solomon Okoronkwo-Shell
Nick Ukadike--Thunder
Benjy Nzeakor--Touchline wizard
Felix Owolabi--Owoblow
kingsley Onye--Mature
Ben Ugwu--Surugede
Kingsley Obiekwu-Shagari
Uwakwe Eke--Aba brought up
Nkem Onyekwere--Jango

Na now the thread start!
Collins Ebitimi        Barbwire
Osaro Obobaifo     Unnecessary Shots
Abbas Jimoh          Ghost Dribbler
Teslim Balogun      Thunder
Paul Hamilton        Wonder Boy
Friday Ekpo            Zico
Thompson Oliha     Driver
Bawa Abdullahi      Bouncing
Etim Esin                Black Maradona
Sebastian Brodericks Sabara
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by stanloski(m): 9:19pm On Sep 04, 2009
Ojokojo Torounarigha (hope i spelt that right) The Doctor
Mohammed Camara Titi
James Debbah Salinsa
Kenneth Malitoli Bubble
Theophilus Khumalo Doctor
George Weah Mr. George
Ole Gunnar Solskjear Baby Faced Assassin
Stuart Pearce Psycho
Gerd Muller Der Bomber
Franz Beckenbauer Der Kaiser
Leonidas Da Silva The Black Diamond
Pele The Black Pearl (nickname get nickname, really great)
Garrincha The Little Bird
Eusebio The black panther
Ariel Ortega El Burrito (the little donkey)
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by AndreUweh(m): 9:20pm On Sep 04, 2009
stanloski
Well done my brother.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by stanloski(m): 9:40pm On Sep 04, 2009
Thanks my brother!
I was shocked the other day when two guys i was conversing with did not know who Etim Esin was!They only know him as a tv pundit! Then there is no way they will know Peter Niketien, John Okon, Monday Odiaka, Bunmi Adigun, Uwem Ekarika, Raymond King, Sam Pam Junior, Humphrey Edobor, Muda Lawal, Thompson Usiyen, Clement Temile, Okey Isima etc. We have lost our history, both in sports and other areas of national life, thats why our people only live for the present! We dont remember our heroes!

Sorry for digressing jare.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by vikiviko(m): 9:40pm On Sep 04, 2009
Collins Ebitimi - Barbwire , I recall now.

James Eneagwuna --68
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by AndreUweh(m): 9:43pm On Sep 04, 2009
Austin Eguavoen--Cerezo
Yakubu Aigbeni--yak
Ben Nwosu--Zico (former spartan)
John moshoe--shoes (South african)
Isaac Semitodje--Ekwe-ekwe
Taofiq Malik--atta (3sc)
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by AndreUweh(m): 9:49pm On Sep 04, 2009
Yes Stanloski, thanks for reminding me of Raymond King. His real name was actually Ramoni Oba.
Do you still remember Chibuzo Ehilegbu, Paul Okuku, Chris Ogbodudu, Chris Anigala, David Ngodigha, Etta Egbe, Ikechukwu Ofoje, Jude Agada, Wahab Haruna and Mojeed Aziz?. Thanks.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by AndreUweh(m): 9:57pm On Sep 04, 2009
stanloski:

Thanks my brother!
I was shocked the other day when two guys i was conversing with did not know who Etim Esin was!They only know him as a tv pundit! Then there is no way they will know Peter Niketien, John Okon, Monday Odiaka, Bunmi Adigun, Uwem Ekarika, Raymond King, Sam Pam Junior, Humphrey Edobor, Muda Lawal, Thompson Usiyen, Clement Temile, Okey Isima etc. We have lost our history, both in sports and other areas of national life, thats why our people only live for the present! We dont remember our heroes!

Sorry for digressing jare.

Etim Esin-Flash flamingoes and I. Nationale; Peter Niketien-J.berger and Nationale (flying eagles 87), John Okon Calabar Rovers; Monday Odiaka-ACB; Bunmi Adigun-Leventis United; Uwem Ekarika-Leventis United, Sam Pam -Leventis, Clement Temile-Insurance; Okey Isima-Rangers; h. Edobor-NNB,Muda Lawal-IICC, and Abiola babes.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by koolchicco: 10:05pm On Sep 04, 2009
All these people na footballers,abi una dey add boxers and wrestlers? cool cheesy
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by AndreUweh(m): 10:08pm On Sep 04, 2009
koolchicco:

All these people na footballers,abi una dey add boxers and wrestlers? cool cheesy

As you can see, their clubs then are listed in the posts.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by koolchicco: 10:14pm On Sep 04, 2009
Andre Uweh:

As you can see, their clubs then are listed in the posts.

Yea right!Some of them are quite old tho,maybe i'd enquire from my Grand-Pa. undecided cheesy wink
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by AndreUweh(m): 10:18pm On Sep 04, 2009
They are stars of the 80's and 90's. Were you not born by then?.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by asha80(m): 10:35pm On Sep 04, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Yes Stanloski, thanks for reminding me of Raymond King. His real name was actually Ramoni Oba.
Do you still remember Chibuzo Ehilegbu, Paul Okuku, Chris Ogbodudu, Chris Anigala, David Ngodigha, Etta Egbe, Ikechukwu Ofoje, Jude Agada, Wahab Haruna and Mojeed Aziz?. Thanks.

Rangers of late 80s.

Paul Uzokwe-Power house.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by koolchicco: 10:35pm On Sep 04, 2009
Andre Uweh:

They are stars of the 80's and 90's. Were you not born by then?.

lipsrsealed  undecided
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by MrCrackles(m): 10:36pm On Sep 04, 2009
^ Asha80
You must be about 40years old.
. . . shocked shocked shocked grin cheesy
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by AndreUweh(m): 10:42pm On Sep 04, 2009
Paul Uzokwe. Hails from Oguta, Imo state. Played for sharks of Port Harcourt but was bought by Willy BAZUAYE, the Iwuanyanwu coach in 1986. What a great left winger he was. He was a member of the eagles team that lost to Ivory Coast in 1987 All African games qualifier.
Thans Asha 80 for reminding us of tis great Oguta boy.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by AndreUweh(m): 10:45pm On Sep 04, 2009
MrCrackles:

^ Asha80

He does not need to be 40 to know about stars of yesteryears.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by tayoccu(m): 11:09pm On Sep 04, 2009
@andrew uweh
r u the same andrew that player 4 nigeria?
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by chic2pimp(m): 11:21pm On Sep 04, 2009
tayoccu:

@andrew uweh
r u the same andrew that player 4 nigeria?
Nah. Him just sabi ball too much.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by stanloski(m): 11:27pm On Sep 04, 2009
What of James Etokebe, wasiu ipaye (later played for shell fc of Gabon) In fact it was the infamous ban on stephen keshi henry nwosu and two others for reporting late to camp that kicked off the mass exodus of players abroad.

They were banned for 1 year by Idiagbon regime and keshi moved to Cote D Ivoire to play for Stella FC before joining Lokeren in belgium then moved to Anderlecht for a princely sum of $400,000 (about 2million naira in those days) Boys went ballistic and all man faced europe. Henry Nwosu moved to Cameroon. Then we only invite like 2 to 3 pros for matches. PPle like John Chidozie, Richard Owobukiri (goal machine) they were called "prefessionals" then. Leventis also had Edward Ansah fantastic goalie. Leventis was the 1st club to go an entire season unbeaten with John mastoruodes as the club head. Good old days.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by stanloski(m): 11:46pm On Sep 04, 2009
aah I also remember John Benson, Moses and Terfa Kpakor, John Zaki, Alli Jeje, Baba Otu Mohammed and Sam Garba Okoye. Sanni Adamu, Fatai Atere, Victor Igbinoba, Gideon Imagbudu and "useless" Olumide Harris the one season wonder.Speaking of nine day wonders, what of Kenneth Zeigbo? does anybody remember him? Andrew Uwe do you remember the guy? came into Eagles made some waves and promptly vanished. We call pple like that potential potential. There is also Precious Monye, Chris Ohenhen, Ladi Babalola, Adeolu Adekola, Gabriel Okolosi, Chukwu Ndukwe, Augustine Igbinabaro (remember the comeback against cameroun during u20 qualifiers from 3-0 loss f eagles won 5-1 in the return leg)

Big flops- Aondofa Akosu (scotland 89) Jide Oguntuase(same) Femi Opabunmi, Gbenga Okunnowo (actually played for barcelona) Ugo Enyinaya, Tony Emedofu, Sam Elijah (miracle of damman) Peter Ogaba, Dimeji Lawal (papa), Duke Udi, Lucky Agbonsebave, Lemmy Isah. Sylvester Okosun, Ishiaku Isa, James Obiora, Bathlomew Ogbeche (one bicycle kick), Furo Iyenemi (Methuselah)

Trouble Makers- Tarila Okorowanta, Etim Esin, Ndubuisi Okosieme, Duke Udi, Chidi Nwanu,
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by stanloski(m): 11:55pm On Sep 04, 2009
Andre Uweh:

I remember Chibuzor very well, he scored one of the goals when we defeated Ghana 2-1 in 1984 Nations Cup. Was a big victory then cos Ghana were the defending Champs and Nigeria had a relatively inexperienced team with Onigbinde as coach. We were beaten 3-1 in the by a vastly experienced Cameroun with worldcup veterans like Roger Milla, Eugene Ekeke, Theophil 'Arantes' Abega, Thomas Nkono, Emmanuel Kunde among others. we score first by the way i think it was Muda Lawal that scored.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by asha80(m): 12:12am On Sep 05, 2009
MrCrackles:

^ Asha80

No bros wink.I started following football when i was 7 years old.You know most latter day football fanatics in nigeria especially guys in their late 20s and early 30s which is my age range started having interest in football from USA 94.

stanloski:

aah I also remember John Benson, Moses and Terfa Kpakor, John Zaki, Alli Jeje, Baba Otu Mohammed and Sam Garba Okoye. Sanni Adamu, Fatai Atere, Victor Igbinoba, Gideon Imagbudu and "useless" Olumide Harris the one season wonder.Speaking of nine day wonders, what of Kenneth Zeigbo? does anybody remember him? Andrew Uwe do you remember the guy? came into Eagles made some waves and promptly vanished. We call pple like that potential potential. There is also Precious Monye, Chris Ohenhen, Ladi Babalola, Adeolu Adekola, Gabriel Okolosi, Chukwu Ndukwe, Augustine Igbinabaro (remember the comeback against cameroun during u20 qualifiers from 3-0 loss f eagles won 5-1 in the return leg)

Big flops- Aondofa Akosu (scotland 89) Jide Oguntuase(same) Femi Opabunmi, Gbenga Okunnowo (actually played for barcelona) Ugo Enyinaya, Tony Emedofu, Sam Elijah (miracle of damman) Peter Ogaba, Dimeji Lawal (papa), Duke Udi, Lucky Agbonsebave, Lemmy Isah. Sylvester Okosun, Ishiaku Isa, James Obiora, Bathlomew Ogbeche (one bicycle kick), Furo Iyenemi (Methuselah)

Trouble Makers- Tarila Okorowanta, Etim Esin, Ndubuisi Okosieme, Duke Udi, Chidi Nwanu,

Big flop-Emmanual Ebiede,Gabriel Okolosi

Trouble makers-Ekenna nnado(was probably more skillful than kanu)
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by franklampard082(m): 1:49am On Sep 05, 2009
Lampard - Lampido ( as in torpedo)
Adebayor - Ade Bendel
Anelka - Nneka or Agboho Chelsea
Arjen Robben - Glass man (always injury prone)
C Ronaldo - C wahala
Berbatov - Baby Nwayo
joe cole - skillful joe
Evra - Evra bus-stop
Rooney - da burly bully
Wenger - Professor
Mourinho - za spezial one
Gattuso - Batista, power horse, red bull
Gerrad - steven G
Didier Drogba - Dee dee Drogba
Essien - Ese nwa Benin
Obafemi Martins - Oba goal
John Terry - Minister of defence, Stamford bridge
Torres - El Nino
J.J Okocha - Pa J
Cech - Chewa ha obi
Bosingwa - Portuges Bus-stop
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by bydot1(m): 7:32am On Sep 05, 2009
Vidic-- IJAYA
Berbatov-- Babatope
Anelka-- Alhaji
Gerrard-- Captain general
Giggs-- orugbo odo
Reina-- Apari odo
Zlatan-- ibrahim
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by chrisical(m): 9:57am On Sep 05, 2009
Funny thread.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by chic2pimp(m): 11:38am On Sep 05, 2009
by.dot:

Vidic-- IJAYA
Berbatov-- Babatope
Anelka-- Alhaji

Gerrard-- Captain general
Giggs-- orugbo odo
Reina-- Apari odo
Zlatan-- ibrahim

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by stanloski(m): 12:45pm On Sep 05, 2009
asha 80:

No bros wink.I started following football when i was 7 years old.You know most latter day football fanatics in nigeria especially guys in their late 20s and early 30s which is my age range started having interest in football from USA 94.

Big flop-Emmanual Ebiede,Gabriel Okolosi

Trouble makers-Ekenna nnado(was probably more skillful than kanu)
AAh thanks for reminding me of emmanuel ebiede I tried recalling his name but failed. Used to be called platini i belgium then before he started a career in "rapery" grin I started following football quite early also, about 8 used to watch bundesliga and big league soccer.
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by theviper1: 6:50pm On Sep 05, 2009
pple seem to have forgotten my man SAMSON OZOGULA ZION TRAIN
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by ogbongzky(m): 8:02pm On Sep 05, 2009
rooney ---- BULL DOG

JS PArk --- JACKIE SHAN

van der saar ---- LONG MAN

arsene wenger --- BABA IJEBU

gallAs --- GRANDPA

peter czech --- ALAKOTO (helmet man)

-----MORE COMING SOON
Re: Funny Nicknames For Footballers. by 9ijaprince(m): 8:43pm On Sep 05, 2009
Austin ejide ( Amii )

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Super Eagles Squad Arrive In Cameroon For AFCON (Video) / AFCON 2021 Qualifiers: Super Eagles Train In Uyo (Photos) / Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.