Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol (2756 Views)

Blind Prophet, Moses Kasali To Buhari: "Contest And Be Disgraced!" / Five Things You Didn’t Know About Moses / Dealing With Misconceptions : Do We Receive Mansions In Heaven? Errmmm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol by Lucario007(m): 4:25am On Jun 18, 2016
Now I am certain that everyone has seen or read the thread on this section about how christians should not be medical students, (found here: https://www.nairaland.com/3171894/why-true-christians-should-not)
Now I'm not here to argue about that, but rather to clear up a misconception I spotted in this post.
ValentineMary:
Ironically one of the attributed writers of ur gospel (Luke) was a physician. And OP the snake sign is not a cult sign ooo in fact it was gotten from the story of Moses when God told Moses to make a bronze serpent.

Christians on nairaland would not kill me with laughter.

This bothers me more than it should, but I hate when things are attributed to the wrong sources, and the same thing occurs multiple times in that thread.

Please let me clear this up: the Medical symbol did NOT originate from the biblical tale of Moses and the serpent, but rather it has existed for years before then. It is often connected, but it is not the root source.

Allow me to clarify.

The image of serpents wrapped around a staff is a familiar one in the medical field, decorating pharmaceutical packaging and hospitals alike. Snakes bites are generally bad news, and so the animal might seem ill-fitting as the symbol of the medical profession, but the ancient emblem actually has a quite a story behind it.

It's actual name is The Rod Of Asclepius.
The Rod of Asclepius takes its name from the god Asclepius, a deity associated with healing and medicinal arts in Greek mythology.
As a matter of fact, the original Hippocratic Oath began with the invocation "I swear by Apollo the Physician and by Asclepius and by Hygieia and Panacea and by all the gods ..."
Asclepius derived his name from healing soothingly and from deferring the withering that comes with death. For this reason, therefore, they give him a serpent as an attribute, indicating that those who avail themselves of medical science undergo a process similar to the serpent in that they, as it were, grow young again after illnesses and slough off old age; also because the serpent is a sign of attention, much of which is required in medical treatments. The staff also seems to be a symbol of some similar thing. For by means of this it is set before our minds that unless we are supported by such inventions as these, in so far as falling continually into sickness is concerned, stumbling along we would fall even sooner than necessary.

Of course some of you might feel that this is hogwash and that your versions of the origin with Moses is better, but the fact remains that Greek Mythology is at least 5000 years old where as the Bible is just 2000 years old, thus making the Greek Origins more likely to be the more factual of the two.
This however does not make medicinal practices or the symbol "cultist" or anything of the sort, as many things in modern everyday life are based on Greek/Roman/Pagan mythology, from your months of the year to even your days of the week (January for instance is named after the god of beginnings Janus, and Thursday is supposedly named after Thor).

Also, please note that the correct medical symbol is with one snake on the rod, not two. If it has two snakes, then you have mixed it up with the Rod/Staff of Hermes.

Thank you for reading, and I hope the mods will help this reach front page in order to educate and enlighten more people so as to prevent them from making the mistake.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol by amtaken(f): 4:54am On Jun 18, 2016
A koro gbagoru a koro gbadata. embarassed
Re: Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol by Lucario007(m): 4:57am On Jun 18, 2016
amtaken:
A koro gbagoru a koro gbadata. embarassed
Sorry, English please for those of us "Yorubally Challenged". smiley
Re: Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol by Strawman: 5:03am On Jun 18, 2016
Chai..And imagine the number of likes that that uneducated post got on the other thread. undecided People on Nairaland, just tell them something they want to read without providing source and they'll believe you.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol by qoura123(m): 5:25am On Jun 18, 2016
Lucario007:
Now I am certain that everyone has seen or read the thread on this section about how christians should not be medical students, (found here: https://www.nairaland.com/3171894/why-true-christians-should-not)
Now I'm not here to argue about that, but rather to clear up a misconception I spotted in this post.

This bothers me more than it should, but I hate when things are attributed to the wrong sources, and the same thing occurs multiple times in that thread.

Please let me clear this up: the Medical symbol did NOT originate from the biblical tale of Moses and the serpent, but rather it has existed for years before then. It is often connected, but it is not the root source.

Allow me to clarify.

The image of serpents wrapped around a staff is a familiar one in the medical field, decorating pharmaceutical packaging and hospitals alike. Snakes bites are generally bad news, and so the animal might seem ill-fitting as the symbol of the medical profession, but the ancient emblem actually has a quite a story behind it.

The Rod of Asclepius takes its name from the god Asclepius, a deity associated with healing and medicinal arts in Greek mythology.
As a matter of fact, the original Hippocratic Oath began with the invocation "I swear by Apollo the Physician and by Asclepius and by Hygieia and Panacea and by all the gods ..."
Asclepius derived his name from healing soothingly and from deferring the withering that comes with death. For this reason, therefore, they give him a serpent as an attribute, indicating that those who avail themselves of medical science undergo a process similar to the serpent in that they, as it were, grow young again after illnesses and slough off old age; also because the serpent is a sign of attention, much of which is required in medical treatments. The staff also seems to be a symbol of some similar thing. For by means of this it is set before our minds that unless we are supported by such inventions as these, in so far as falling continually into sickness is concerned, stumbling along we would fall even sooner than necessary.

Of course some of you might feel that this is hogwash and that your versions of the origin with Moses is better, but the fact remains that Greek Mythology is at least 5000 years old where as the Bible is just 2000 years old, thus making the Greek Origins more likely to be the more factual of the two.
This however does not make medicinal practices or the symbol "cultist" or anything of the sort, as many things in modern everyday life are based on Greek/Roman/Pagan mythology, from your months of the year to even your days of the week (January for instance is named after the god of beginnings Janus, and Thursday is supposedly named after Thor).

Also, please note that the correct medical symbol is with one snake on the rod, not two. If it has two snakes, then you have mixed it up with the Rod/Staff of Hermes.

Thank you for reading, and I hope the mods will help this reach front page in order to educate and enlighten more people so as to prevent them from making the mistake.

spot on. op
Re: Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol by prof800(m): 5:32am On Jun 18, 2016
How can you say the Bible is 2000 years old?
In writing, it is not up to 2000 years. But in history it spans more than 2000 years.

Besides, the Nehushtan existed before the greek mythology of Rod Of Asclepius. In a bigger picture tho, all these things correlate.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol by nedu2000(m): 5:36am On Jun 18, 2016
The time of Jesus Christ is about 2000yrs old,not the Bible. The Moses era is 2x longer,Adam/job further back

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol by Alhajipablo(m): 8:32am On Jun 18, 2016
Here to watch xtains refute this ignorantly as usual
Re: Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol by femi4: 8:52am On Jun 18, 2016
Lucario007:

Allow me to clarify.

Olodo!
Before the Greek, there was Moses.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Moses And The Medical Symbol by amtaken(f): 1:25pm On Jun 18, 2016
Wetin this one dey talk?
Lucario007:

Sorry, English please for those of us "Yorubally Challenged". smiley

(1) (Reply)

Have you Read the Quran Before? / Quran Burning Day; How Not To Be An Imbecille! / Things Jesus Never Said

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.