Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,457 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date (2019 Views)

The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo) / Nigeria Cannot Do Without The North By Femi Aribisala / How Awolowo Was Jailed By Yorubas And Northerners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by attackgat: 12:30pm On Jun 18, 2016
[b] The Yorubas are a tribe of great people no doubt. History tells us that they were a tribe of warriors who once controlled a vast empire that stretched from Bini to present day Republic of Benin under the Oyo empire. They have achieved a lot. So it beggars belief, particularly to an Igbo man like me who never had an 'empire', that the present generation of Yorubas have gone from champions of sovereignty to mere 'Northern followers' of 'one Nigeria'. What happened to the Yoruba man who was self Governing under the Oyo Mesi long before there was anything called Nigeria? How is it that these people have thrown away their right to self determination for a foreign identity called 'Nigerian' which the White man gave them? One would have thought that it would have been Yorubas that would be declaring "Oduduwa Republic" long before Igbos declared Biafra? There are many incidents that have happened since 1960 that should have propelled the Yoruba nation to rise up, assert their sovereignty and challenge the excesses of North, but they did nothing. To make matters worse, most of these incidents happened in Yoruba land! They include:

July 1966, Northern elements kidnapp and kill the Governor of Western Nigeria, Lt Colonel Fajuyi, a Yoruba man. Yorubas did nothing.

July 1966, General Ironsi is killed by the Northerners. The next two highest ranking officers are Yoruba men (Brigadier Ogundipe and Colonel Adebayor). By law, it should have been Ogundipe who should have taken over. Right in Lagos, Yorubaland, Ogundipe is chased away to London by the Northerners while Colonel Adebayor is made to replace the murdered Fajuyi, all to pave way for the much junior Gowon to take over. Yorubas did nothing.

January 1967. Gowon, Ojukwu, Adebyor, Katsina amongst others meet in Aburi, Ghana. An agreement for the most true form of federalism (confederation) is reached, signed and sealed. But few months later when Gowon and his Northern goons break this agreement, the Yorubas did nothing. They even helped Gowon fight Ojukwu so that unitary rule could be fully implemented. Today, Yorubas are shouting for the same true federalism they helped to take away.

1967: Amid the massacre of Easterners by the Northerners, the father of the Yoruba nation, Pa Awolowo comes to Enugu and said that if Igbos walk out of Nigeria, Yorubas are going the same way too. When Igbos walked out of Nigeria, the same Awolowo accepted to become deputy to Gowon who was young enough to be his son. Awolowo who witnessed thousands of people being murdered by Northerners was convinced that the same Northerners were the best thing since the invention of sliced bread! Awolowo would later go on to be frustrated from ever becoming president of Nigeria by the same Northerners he diligently served.

1976: After the death of Murtala Mohammed, Obasunjo is the next highest ranking officer. The Notherners try again to do what the did 10 years earlier when Ogundipe and Adebayor were bypassed because they were Yorubas by insisting that General Danjuma who is junior to Obasunjo should take over. Danjuma refuses, which is the only reason Obasunjo became head of state.

1993: The brightest political star in Yorubland, MKO Abiola is kidnapped and murdered in detention after winning free and fair elections. The Yorubas nation did nothing.

One wonders why the Yoruba nation have never confronted the Northerners despite all the above? Why have they always been willing tools of the Northerners? Why do they never think about their right to self determination? I need answers. [/b]

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 18, 2016
Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 18, 2016
attackgat:
The Yorubas are a tribe of great people no doubt. History tells us that they were a tribe of warriors who once controlled a vast empire that stretched from Bini to present day Republic of Benin under the Oyo empire. They have achieved a lot. So it beggars belief, particularly to an Igbo man like me

disappointed at d bolded
yorubas are one of the greatest blessings to Nigeria don't get me wrong am from d north and I hate tribalism

7 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jun 18, 2016
Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by mohaMADbuari: 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2016
Yorobars are peaceful cheesy
Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by StOla: 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2016
The Igbo man is still bitter that the war they asked for in 1967 was not fought on Yoruba soil as they planned.

Hold on to your misery while we hold on to our wisdom and peace.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by ayokellany: 1:04pm On Jun 18, 2016
Igbos ! You people are destined not to make use of your brain. The fact Igbo want self determination does not necessarily means the Yoruba want the same thing. What happened to selling your ideas and convincing others to be copartakers instead of trying to force it down their throat. Why can't you learn from the mistakes of Ojuwku and his relationship with Awo ? What will it take the Igbo's to build consensus with the Igbo clans and sell this consensus idea to other nationality when it as been thoroughly thought through ? The problem of the Igbo is different from that of the Yorubas so you shouldn't expect everyone to jump ship at the slightest provocation of thoughtlessness like you Igbos do. Consented effort with several years of determinated agitation is required for the partioning of a country. Breaking up a country is not Apu with vegetable your mother prepares every night. The fastest way to partion a country is war and Biafra tried that before and we all know the result, although that was marred by Ojukwu's cluelessness nonetheless it's success would have been the fastest way to break up the country. It took Scotland you Igbo's are citing as example now several decays to have just a referendum to primarily chose to continue with the union or not. You should watch brave heart for reference to understand the Scottish have been fighting for independence since the 18th if not the 17th century from British rule. Igbo refuse to understand if the majority had voted against the union another set of process will be put in place that might last several decays before the actual partition.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 18, 2016
in my opinion, the yorubas are wiser. dz you can see in term of development. The south west is relatively more developed compare to any other geopolitical zones.When the time to secceed reaches, It will be an added advantage to their unborn generations.

7 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by Oksman(m): 1:11pm On Jun 18, 2016
[quote author=rawswag post=46687876]
disappointed at d bolded
yorubas are one of the greatest blessings to Nigeria don't get me wrong am from d north and I hate tribalism
##########################################################
What is tribalistic about the topic and also being a northerner?
I personally see it differently the yoruba's are the most tolerant people in this entity called nigeria, period!
Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by omenka(m): 1:13pm On Jun 18, 2016
One of the most useless threads I've seen my entire e-life.

9 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by chxe: 1:13pm On Jun 18, 2016
Those people are no more
These ones are.........
Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by jstbeinhonest(m): 1:13pm On Jun 18, 2016
Ever since I joined nairaland,this same story has been repeated on virtually every thread from the same set of people.You go around claiming you despise us,yet you take your time to advise us on political sovereignity,Some peeps are Obssessed.

13 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by seunmsg(m): 1:14pm On Jun 18, 2016
The mods will not close down this silly thread now, when Yorubas respond in kind, they will start banning up and down.

12 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by arresa: 1:18pm On Jun 18, 2016
seunmsg:
The mods will not close down this silly thread now, when Yorubas respond in kind, they will start banning up and down.

Well said..

10 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by 06xtr99r: 1:23pm On Jun 18, 2016
Odua offsprings cannot be trusted to defend a true cause. They are neither here nor there except to feast on decaying matter. It's ingrained in their DNA and that's the reason they rarely stand for anything good in life.

They spend a large chunk of their time in treachery, wicked lies and propaganda to be able to compete favourable with the better South. They are known to have only flourished and survived in lopsidedness.

They prefer to deceive themselves chasing rats while their own house is burning. They make loud noises to heat up the polity just to continue to loot the commonwealth in the guise of sophistication.

It's customary for them to exhibit hatred, favouritism, tribalism and nepotism wherever you find them. They find it difficult to appreciate the good in other people.

Those beings from the left side of the South are unstable in all their ways. Finding a reliable and trustworthy person amongst them is like searching for a pin in a haystack.

2 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by coolitempa(f): 1:24pm On Jun 18, 2016
If I respond to this idiotic post....they will say Coolitempa don start wahala....and kpam....another long ban will follow by the biased mods on this board... angry angry angry angry angry

12 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 18, 2016
yeebos are just irredeemable bastards.
were the Yoruba ever keen on Nigeria? no,zik was,aligning ncnc with npc to form one Nigeria.
who was fajuyi protecting when he was killed? a Igbo bastard.
who started the unitary government? Igbo man.
why should Yoruba help you dissolve a government yeebos instituted.
awolowo said if the east secession was successful, note on successful,Yorubas will move out of the Union.
the civil war was a war between Nigeria army(Hausa,middle belt,Midwest,west) against Biafra.
how did Yoruba support the northerners,are Yoruba soldiers the only soldiers, or is it because they were the one who killed the Biafra dream with great skills
so Soyinka and solarin helped northerners win the war after been imprisoned let me ask the fool where was Achebe.
what of the Yorubas that fought on Biafran side.
you want awo to allow you use his region as a battlefield to show his love for yeebos.
what did useless zik do after he witnessed the massacre of yeebos by Hausa before independence.
mko was not kidnapped he fought and stood for his mandate unlike one useless major ojuiku who ran away from the battlefield, the same man yeebos claim stood against Fulani, also came back to contest under their party.
yeebos sacrificed 3 million because of their greed,they are sacrificing and they'll still sacrifice more.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by ikarm17: 1:29pm On Jun 18, 2016
If Yorubas start responding this parasitic Ibo clowns who have been on PDP dick (a Northern party) since 1960, the mods will start flexing and banning Yoruba people.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by uniklinkum(m): 1:30pm On Jun 18, 2016
Mynd44 lalasticlala and seun.

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by attackgat: 1:35pm On Jun 18, 2016
coolitempa:
If I respond to this idiotic post....they will say Coolitempa don start wahala....and kpam....another long ban will follow by the biased mods on this board... angry angry angry angry angry

Everything I said in my post are historical facts. It's not like I made anything up. So what is there to be angry about? These things have happend

2 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by eazisky(m): 2:15pm On Jun 18, 2016
I'm so proud to be a Yoruba guy..... Haters should simply commit suicide

7 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by nagodoluwa: 2:47pm On Jun 18, 2016
op raised some sensible points but d bigot ignore those point.

I will talked about the detention & murder of MKO Abiola

1. Why was the election annulled by IBB?
Answer: Because Northerner felt they might not smell the power again. Because the election reflect their true population instead of fraudulent inflated figures.

2. Why did Abdusalam Abubakar refused to release MKO Abiola?

Answer: Because doing so will makes it impossible for the Almajiris to actulize their agenda & thats why they poisoned MKO Abiola.

3. Hows MKO Abiola relationship with IBB?
Answer: Very cordial to the extent that Abiola trusted him than his Yoruba brothers.

I have no pity for MKO because religion bigotry & love for his enemies cost him his precious life. His deputy is Almajiri & still backstab him.

People like Obafemi Awolowo, Benjamen Adekunle etc trusted Almajiri & paid dearly with their lives for doing so. If you dont know history, ask the elders. I dont expect any sensible Yoruba & Igbo man/woman to attack each other

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by T9ksy(m): 2:58pm On Jun 18, 2016
[quote author=attackgat posLike someone already suggested6689024]

Everything I said in my post are historical facts. It's not like I made anything up. So what is there to be angry about? These things

Facts ke? As if you can identify FACT even if it suddenly jump up and bite you on the nose. Just because you have recently learnt how to spell the word does not necessarily mean you can discern it.

Your thread is asinine and like others had suggested earlier, the mods should have yanked it off the site and dump it in the gabbage bin where it rightly belongs.

6 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by keally: 3:24pm On Jun 18, 2016
StOla:
The Igbo man is still bitter that the war they asked for in 1967 was not fought on Yoruba soil as they planned.

Hold on to your misery while we hold on to our wisdom and peace.
. Serpentile wisdom and peace of the graveyard, Congrats.
Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 18, 2016
the most shameful appeasement to the northerners was carried out by ojuiku after the killing of his people,he came back to contest under a Fulani party.

2 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by jneutron4000: 6:34pm On Jun 18, 2016
@op, there is something I will like you to know now, As far as Nigeria still exist, the Yorubas is still the tribe controlling even the North, apart from the fact that the Yorubas have ruled this country both in the Military and civilian regime, you and I no that even the presidential party, is owned and rule by a Yoruba man. Now, do you know that if all the SE representatives and only just 3 governors from the SE region and not all Biafra would have been achieved. But becos they don't care and they are happy been in power. Mention one Northerns who you think can outsmart OBJ and even Buhari can't dare Obj. So if the Yorubas want to call for Oduduwa Republic, first people like Obj, Tinubu and the likes will be delt with. And that is why I see the actualization of Biafra as a joke. I hope you understand my point?

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jun 18, 2016
rawswag:

disappointed at d bolded

Muslim abi
If so you right

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by chimauga(m): 2:21am On Jun 19, 2016
Yellow-bars are like

1 Like

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by Emeka71(m): 2:25am On Jun 19, 2016
Yes Buhari is working .
Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by banki(m): 4:45am On Jun 19, 2016
This is part of what I call post election trauma
You lost an election....
So you whip up ethnic religious semtimentents.....

Well done

4 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by Nobody: 5:02am On Jun 19, 2016
Your write up is full half truths, exaggerations and outright lies.
It is up to Yorubas to decide if they want to remain in Nigeria or not. It will not be at the prodding of people who are desperate to return to their clans because they can't function in a multi ethnic society.

4 Likes

Re: The Shameful Appeasement Of The North By Yorubas, 1960 To Date by 09xtr99r: 6:01am On Jun 19, 2016
Loudmouthed tribalists from Wasteland are still grandstanding in the public domain even when it's very plain to all and sundry about their inability to cohabit amongst other ethnic groups while exhibiting bile-filled hatred, treachery and dishonest acts as their trademarks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Let's Imagine What Would Happen If PDP Wins In 2019 / We Are Indomitable Niger Delta Avengers Boasts / Buhari Won 2015 Election Because Nigerians Wanted You Out – Us Replies Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.