Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,721 members, 7,820,505 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities (25782 Views)

Study Abroad: Apply For Latest International Scholarships Here / Schools Shun Expatriate Teachers’ Contract Over Forex Crisis / Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by MicroBox: 7:16pm On Jun 18, 2016
Can the standard of education in places like USA be compared to that of Nigeria? let government support those who can afford it in anyway possible. What difference will Babcock, Convenant, Igbinedion, AUN and other privately own university student will bring when employ as lecturer in our federal universities, can they even lecture with the level of corruption going on in their schools.
My lecture introduces CAD/CAM into the departmental curriculum as 2 credit unit course when he came back from abroad which was accepted.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by neocortex: 7:16pm On Jun 18, 2016
vodutive:

stop trying to be too clever by halves, You know the peoblem with our education system. Although people may and do chosse to study abroad even when the domestic system is functional, you know full well that we are talking about[b]people who are FORCED to send their kids abroad[/b] or seek education abroad because a Nigerian degree is no longer worth the paper it is printed and going to a Nigerian University is equivalent to condemning your future because it limits your opportunities and closes doors the minute you present your certificate.

No body is forced, it is a voluntary choice to send kids abroad.
The people who send their kids abroad are those who can afford to.

The statement : "our education system is bad" is meaningless unless
one become specific and make an objective comparison with nations of
similar wealth and population.

There are thousands of Nigerians(some didn't even pass UTME) also go to school abroad in Ghana
every year even though the school they end up attending is not of international
repute.

A Degree's value just like money is based on perception and those who could
afford to get a high value degree will continue to seek for it regardless of the state
of our institution.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by guiddoti: 7:33pm On Jun 18, 2016
Moneyyy:
This is good for the Nigerian economy. Do you guys have any idea the amount of money being sent outside the shores of Nigeria every year in the name of scholing abroad? Such money is better spent in Nigeria and it would help prop up the Nigerian economy.

If we are in support of home-grown manufacturing, I don't see why we should not be in support of home-grown graduates.
You are absolutely correct
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by Dymaco(m): 7:36pm On Jun 18, 2016
lionshare:

That's the only way to bring sanity and redemption into the health and education sectors.
wen buhari himself dey run away from naija hospital

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jun 18, 2016
neocortex:

No body is forced, it is a voluntary choice to send kids abroad.
The people who send their kids abroad are those who can afford to.

The statement : "our education system is bad" is meaningless unless
similar wealth and population.

There are thousands of Nigerians(some didn't even pass UTME) also go to school abroad in Ghana
every year even though the school they end up attending is not of international
repute.

A Degree's value just like money is based on perception and those who could
afford to get a high value degree will continue to seek for it regardless of the state
of our institution.

you are obviously a comedian or deluded!!

what do you mean by ""our education system is bad" is meaningless unless
similar wealth and population."?

get your head out of the sand even in America there are mushroom universities handing out degress that are worthless! There are international acceptab;e standards for education and schools are ranked based on certain criteria, employers also know from experience that students from certain universities tend to perform and others don't. So you can award degree all you like and you can spend 4/5 years in a university saying you are getting an education but if your University is not rated nobody will employ you in a meaningful position, most Nigerian universities are not ranked. it doesn't matter that you degree is better than a degree from Federal university of Utuoke.

and the staement that people send their children abroad because they can afford is misguided. Does the man paying N200,000 for school fees sound like a rich man? people send their kids abroad because they know the value of education in giving their children a head start in life since everybody wants the best future for their children and they know a Nigerian degree is worthless and so do everything they can to make sure they get a good education. A man who used to pay 200K and is struggling to pay 400K fees for his child in ghana has clearly sent his child to Ghana because he knows what we have is crap!

Why Did Dangote advertise for graduates to be truck drivers if a Nigerian degree have any value? If you think a Nigerian degree has much value it is because you haven't left your village.

The plight of the Nigerian graduate is that your education is only as good as the sytem that produces you, the next time you hear a graduate can't get a job after 4 years, understand that it's not because there aren't jobs, it's because his degree is worthless and not fit for purpose!!! Garbage in garbage out!

I do however agree with you that just because you studied abroad doesn't mean you haven't wasted your time and money, there are equally mushroom institutions abroad that nobody reckons with.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by amtaken(f): 7:47pm On Jun 18, 2016
When a wicked man is in power the people suffer.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by ancientbanana: 7:49pm On Jun 18, 2016
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by DangotePikin: 7:59pm On Jun 18, 2016
I trust Covenant University not to accept anyone.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by October1960: 8:02pm On Jun 18, 2016
Bitter truth below

vodutive:

stop trying to be too clever by halves, You know the peoblem with our education system. Although people may and do chosse to study abroad even when the domestic system is functional, you know full well that we are talking aboutpeople who are FORCED to send their kids abroad or seek education abroad because a Nigerian degree is no longer worth the paper it is printed and going to a Nigerian University is equivalent to condemning your future because it limits your opportunities and closes doors the minute you present your certificate.

The truth is most people going to Nigerian Universities are wasting their time and would be better off learning a trade , a skill or a business. The best jobs will go to the students who studied abroad and your degree is useless abroad, so you end up doing admin jobs or bank clerk or sales assistants....jobs which normally only require "o" levels!!!!
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by Kenechi1: 8:07pm On Jun 18, 2016
Moneyyy:
This is good for the Nigerian economy. Do you guys have any idea the amount of money being sent outside the shores of Nigeria every year in the name of scholing abroad? Such money is better spent in Nigeria and it would help prop up the Nigerian economy.

If we are in support of home-grown manufacturing, I don't see why we should not be in support of home-grown graduates.
Ya but who wants school in a Nigerian university
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jun 18, 2016
lionshare:
Why cant govt discourage people from going abroad to study....too much capital flight.

Because the trainer and the trainee knows nothing. Nigeria education is shit... Passive learning ...nothing else aside scraming and offloading.. That one na education.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by atirolu(m): 8:28pm On Jun 18, 2016
I ll Rather remain and stay der

2 Likes

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 18, 2016
Nkem4040:
God will never forgive Nigerians for letting Jonathan go. A man who believed so much in this country than all past presidents and head of states...that he made a commitment that all his children must all school in Nigeria. All past presidents children schooled or are schooling abroad. Buhari even has the conscience to tell us....I CAN AFFORD IT.

Jonathan, a man that his daughter and in-law live in 10 by 10, popularly known as face-me-I-face-you apartment in America that looks like a boys quarter or dog house...he is even comfortable inside it with them...tells you the kind of man he is. Has this been the likes of IBB, Abdulsalami, Abacha, Yaradua, Buhari, they will be living in a mansion with gold and ornaments furnishings everywhere.

Im disaffected in the nigeria issue. Not supporting one over another. Truth be told, your jonathan is corrupt as hell with evil people attached to him. Buhari is a dullard but jonathan and other past leader inclusive contributed to most of our present failures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by neocortex: 8:30pm On Jun 18, 2016
vodutive:

you are obviously a comedian or deluded!!

what do you mean by ""our education system is bad" is meaningless unless
similar wealth and population."?

get your head out of the sand even in America there are mushroom universities handing out degress that are worthless! There are international acceptab;e standards for education and schools are ranked based on certain criteria, employers also know from experience that students from certain universities tend to perform and others don't. So you can award degree all you like and you can spend 4/5 years in a university saying you are getting an education but if your University is not rated nobody will employ you in a meaningful position, most Nigerian universities are not ranked. it doesn't matter that you degree is better than a degree from Federal university of Utuoke.

and the staement that people send their children abroad because they can afford is misguided. Does the man paying N200,000 for school fees sound like a rich man? people send their kids abroad because they know the value of education in giving their children a head start in life since everybody wants the best future for their children and they know a Nigerian degree is worthless and so do everything they can to make sure they get a good education. A man who used to pay 200K and is struggling to pay 400K fees for his child in ghana has clearly sent his child to Ghana because he knows what we have is crap!

Why Did Dangote advertise for graduates to be truck drivers if a Nigerian degree have any value? If you think a Nigerian degree has much value it is because you haven't left your village.

The plight of the Nigerian graduate is that your education is only as good as the sytem that produces you, the next time you hear a graduate can't get a job after 4 years, understand that it's not because there aren't jobs, it's because his degree is worthless and not fit for purpose!!!

Sorry I assumed you could comprehend.

Being garrulous proves nothing if you made no relevant point,
it only shows a lack of .

You could have saved yourself the stress of typing this epistle by providing
a prove that ghana or whatever university educated graduates are better
than their Nigerian counterparts in the workplace.

If you understand the dynamics of demand and supply, then dangote
employing graduates as drivers will be of no surprise to you.
What would happen to havard degrees if most graduate have one ?

I bet you are one of those who thinks a degree should guarantee
the owner a million dollar job after graduating. That is where you get it
wrong.

I still maintain that the worth of a degree is based on perception and nothing
else.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 18, 2016
neocortex:

Sorry I assumed you could comprehend.

Being garrulous proves nothing if you made no relevant point,
it only shows a lack of .

You could have saved yourself the stress of typing this epistle by providing
a prove that ghana or whatever university educated graduates are better
than their Nigerian counterparts in the workplace.

If you understand the dynamics of demand and supply, then dangote
employing graduates as drivers will be of no surprise to you.
What would happen to havard degrees if most graduate have one ?

I bet you are one of those who thinks a degree should guarantee
the owner a million dollar job after graduating. That is where you get it
wrong.

I still maintain that the worth of a degree is based on perception and nothing
else.

if you read the last paragrapgh of my post which was edited before you posted, you will see I addressed the issue of studying abroad not being a silver bullet.

as far as the value of a degree, understand something, the true value of a degree comes not so much in the subject but in your training in critical thinking, discipline and other attributes that garnered over the course of obtaining your degree, that is why you will find many internation companies asking for a degree in any discipline when recruiting for management trainee positions. This is where we fail in Nigeri, we are producing graduate that do not posses the ability to reason, analyse and think logically....therin lies the major problem and why their degrees are worthless!!!

As far as Dangote, yes when there is excessive supply, it's a buyers market but that's not the whole story it's not just Dangote, sales (or marketing as they call it) bank clerks, errand boys, they are all graduates, it's because they are not suitable for anything else. If as an employer you employed someone as one of these positions and they were truly above it, it wouldn't take long for them to distinguish themselves and get noticed and so rise above it but they generally stay there because that is their level...many times not even good enough for such.

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by Bioboy1213(m): 9:20pm On Jun 18, 2016
Dymaco:

which govt...
which Nigeria govt official son dey school for naija
may God bless you...........most right answer av seen on NL today..u made my day
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by Bioboy1213(m): 9:24pm On Jun 18, 2016
atirolu:
I ll Rather remain and stay der
I swear........even me

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by TaiKuun(m): 9:27pm On Jun 18, 2016
EARN WITH ME IN US DOLLARS. UNA NO GO HEAR.

THE POINT IS, THOSE WHO WILL WAIL WILL STILL WAIL, THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by codecyan(m): 9:29pm On Jun 18, 2016
However, the registrar had yet to respond to the request as of the time of publishing this story.
But an official of Landmark University, Omu-Aran, Kwara State, said the institution doesn’t accept foreign students.

He said, “If the concerned students have passports, they will be admitted as international students, but they cannot serve in the National Youth Service Corps scheme after the completion of their programmes. They have to go abroad for their Master’s before they can serve.

“However, if the students do not have passports, they have to write the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination and be admitted like any other local student.”

I wonder why an unnamed official of a university would make such a statement. How then did the prospective students cross the border/airport to Nigeria? Abi dem use transcripts.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by Laid2001: 9:41pm On Jun 18, 2016
This guy, you can lie oo!. Gush.

THERE IS NO FACE ME I FACE YOU IN USA. Where did you here that from!. GEJ has his kids abroad shikena. Dont start coating it as if the america of GEJ kids are different from the America of IBB kids or Abdsalami own.

US is US and it can not be NIgeria. Why him no leave them for Otuoke if he can not afford to keep them in US.

People just spew rubish.

For your info, PMB already lost a child ( his daughter died under labour in a Nija hospital) to Nigerian health sector and no one should expect him to lose another in the name of patriotism.

Nkem4040:
God will never forgive Nigerians for letting Jonathan go. A man who believed so much in this country than all past presidents and head of states...that he made a commitment that all his children must all school in Nigeria. All past presidents children schooled or are schooling abroad. Buhari even has the conscience to tell us....I CAN AFFORD IT.

Jonathan, a man that his daughter and in-law live in 10 by 10, popularly known as face-me-I-face-you apartment in America that looks like a boys quarter or dog house...he is even comfortable inside it with them...tells you the kind of man he is. Has this been the likes of IBB, Abdulsalami, Abacha, Yaradua, Buhari, they will be living in a mansion with gold and ornaments furnishings everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by ohzee(f): 11:08pm On Jun 18, 2016
I will eat local rice, wear Aba made shoes and clothes and bags. But if I can afford it I will opt for foreign education for my kids. A sound education cannot be compromised.
Before Asia could excel, they sent a lot of their kids abroad to study. They learnt Western technology and came back home with it. There are still thousands of them studying in US, UK and Europe.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by iykedare(m): 11:16pm On Jun 18, 2016
Moneyyy:

So you fancy this failed system for your kids?

Ah,poverty mentality.
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by mbhs139(m): 11:22pm On Jun 18, 2016
akpobi:
this interview seems like it was stage managed to make Babcock look Good

Are you a mind reader? You snatched that from my mouth. The whole story look like arrangee to favour Babcock.

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by uckennety(m): 11:51pm On Jun 18, 2016
Moneyyy:

Yet buhari's kids dey school aboard buys dollar @ subsidized rate but obama's kid skool in u.s and not u.k!because buhari kids skool aboard!our education system don fall!imagine my skool is on 3months strike no hope of calling it off!pls gone are the days wen ur head master's kid will be in same class wid u! embarassed
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by agabaI23(m): 11:54pm On Jun 18, 2016
Moneyyy:

Do you know the amount of money those who train abroad bring back to Nigeria? You are looking at the angle that suits your argument.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by uckennety(m): 11:54pm On Jun 18, 2016
ohzee:
I will eat local rice, wear Aba made shoes and clothes and bags. But if I can afford it I will opt for foreign education for my kids. A sound education cannot be compromised.
Before Asia could excel, they sent a lot of their kids abroad to study. They learnt Western technology and came back home with it. There are still thousands of them studying in US, UK and Europe.
D went back to their country and Found job!my dear go aboard and skool den come back and see if you can find job!

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by Validated: 5:05am On Jun 19, 2016
Moneyyy:

Which universities are up to world standards in Nigeria? Check all their websites how many of them have what it takes to compete globally? Anyway, it is for those who want to remain backward. As for the children God has given me, they are all already in schools in Canada and by God's grace they will all complete their masters before ever thinking of coming to Nigeria. That way, when Buhari's children are talking, they also will be talking. You can continue to play politics with the lives of your children and generation in the name of supporting APC.

1 Like

Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by GLOBALINF: 5:18am On Jun 19, 2016
Moneyyy:

Lol!!! PhD graduate in Nigeria is no better than 200level student abroad.
Education in Nigeria is a SCAM. You can't compete favourably with your mate abroad!
You can't compare a computer science graduate in Nigeria with a computer graduate from Korea. ****fact****
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by wayodude(m): 6:59am On Jun 19, 2016
Jizoz!! I've never heard any of those universities except Babcock lol I don lost ooo
Re: Forex Crisis: Nigerian Students Abroad Apply To Home Universities by wayodude(m): 7:26am On Jun 19, 2016
I was a student of a Nigerian Federal University in the mid/late nineties and even though the infrastructure there at the time was no match for what I found when I moved abroad to study a couple of years later, it was adequate for those students who were genuinely interested in learning to do so.

I started off my studies abroad with a certain degree of swagger and confidence noticeable by my peers at the time because I knew I was capable of applying myself meaningfully as I had managed to do that in more challenging circumstances in Naija.

In conclusion, 15-20 yrs ago I could've defended some of our local institutions if topics like this came up. Today I don't even mention that I did any study in Naija so it doesn't erode the confidence people here have in me before actually meeting and speaking to me.

Like them dey talk that time 'all join' cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Scholarship Alert: 2015/2016 UNICEF/SPIC Undergraduate Scholarship. / Why Students Fail To Graduate With Good Grades / EFCC Returns Stolen N326,000 Back To UNIBEN Student (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.