Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,484 members, 7,836,888 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage (43996 Views)

Top 10 Most Expensive Homes Around The World / ₦151Billion: World's Most Expensive Home, This Is What It Looks Like(Photos) / 5 Cheapest Cities To Live In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by donvicky2007: 9:58am On Jun 20, 2016
Rapmoney:
Na enjoyment una dey so o! cheesy
Two bedroom self-contained goes for10k per month excluding agent fee.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Themandator: 10:04am On Jun 20, 2016
Rapmoney:
As a property manager and one who has visited many Nigerian cities, I did a research/survey and came out with the result of the top 5 cities in Nigeria where one would need to belt himself/herself very well before renting an apartment! This survey was carried out with the accommodation costs of houses/apartments found in condusive environments or areas characterized with the usual facilities that are found in an average African city. By this, this survey did not cover rural areas (villages), please.

1) ABUJA: In terms of the cost of renting an apartment, be it flat, self-con or bed-sitter, Abuja (the main city), is a place where you really need to eat 'bellefull' before doing that. This can really reduce your savings to a frustrating amount! It's in places like Maitama that you would see a one-bedroom flat that goes for 1million Naira!!! Any landlord/house agent who puts up same house for that amount in Benin-City is surely an 'Enemy of Progress' grin Are we buying the house? It's because of this that made many residents of Abuja to move to surburbs or outskirts of the city.

2) LAGOS: I discovered that most of the mini-flats in Lagos mainland are above 300k a year. You can get this same apartment, even with better facilities and in a more serene environment, at half the price, in Akure. When I saw the bed-sitter a friend of mine paid for at Oregun for 10k monthly, I wept!!!

3) WARRI: This would have come after Port-Harcourt but it seems as if some house owners here think everyone is scooping crude oil from the ground since it's called the 'Oil City'. Sometimes, mini-flats go for as high as 18k monthly!!! 3 bedroom flats in good environments can cost 480k-500k per year; sometimes, 600k.

4) PORT-HARCOURT: Rentage in PH City is not too different from what's obtainable in Warri.

5) ENUGU: Sometimes, a bed-sitter that's so small to an extent where you won't even have enough space to stretch your hands in the morning without knocking off things in your room, could go for as high as 100k-110k per year! Even places like Obiagu and Artisan!!! The rentage cost of 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom flats in places like Loma Linda/Independence Layout/GRA, can make an unemployed man die before his time!!! wink

Compiled by Rapmoney

OP is wrong: I grew up in warri before life took me out and I can tell you that in the entire Niger Delta, Calabar has the most expensive rentage!
And this is a state without a drop of oil of it own!

Do your research again.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by surestsam(m): 10:11am On Jun 20, 2016
dandollaz:
And u mention enugu without owerri.op if u want to generalize town it should be
Abuja
Portharcourt
Lagos
owerri
warri
enugu.
Not everywhere in lagos is expensive but everywhere in abuja and phc is expensive do ur research well.
bro, i think you should do your research well too , d op pick lagos as a state.. He didnt pick d expensive cities at lagos... Lagos should b compare to Rivers. Plus the op mentioned lagos mainland.. I wonder why he chose that ahead of lagos island...
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Themandator: 10:13am On Jun 20, 2016
Baroba:

You can say it a again, I just helped my brother rent a One bedroom " apartment" in Trans Ekulu Enugu.. Breakdown, one year rent 150,000, agency fee 30,000, Legal fee 40,000, caution fee 20,000..

This is a state were most of its inhabitants are civil servants and students.. Shocking

I once lived in a one bedroom apartment in Calabar outskirts :Scanobo. My yearly rent was 220k... Excluding everything you mentioned.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by surestsam(m): 10:19am On Jun 20, 2016
irisola:
and AKURE grin
Akure too cheap nw, cant be in the first 20 expensive cities sef...

Ermmmm.. Before you quote me, know that i stayd at akure for 7years... I left ak 2014..
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Themandator: 10:22am On Jun 20, 2016
Rapmoney:
Na enjoyment una dey so o! cheesy
I believe it is because it is readily available:all those 4 storeys everywhere some are empty a day these days, folks are returning to their village to build serious duplex and commute to Onitsha and Akwa for business.... This is the teen in my village which is just 150naira to Onitsha

The average igbo man invest his excess profit in housing unlike Calabar where enjoyment is the order of the day

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by stunningjudy(f): 10:36am On Jun 20, 2016
op, why is yenegoa not on your list? 1 bedroom flat goes as high as 400k in yenegoa, self con as high as 250k. landlords just try to get back money spent on building. i cant blame them entirely because the cost of building in yenegoa is high due to the nature of the land (swamp).

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Gboliwe: 10:44am On Jun 20, 2016
[quote author=kunlesufyan post=46739221][/quote]

Uyo is a local government, how can another local government be inside it? What do they teach you guys in school these days?
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Gboliwe: 10:50am On Jun 20, 2016
kuuljay:
I just went to see a room in new GRA in enugu without kitchen for 260 plus 80 for agent and lawyer=340 I told the corper he may have to stay in my house, enugu is really really expensive. And the most annoying is that three quarter of enugu does not have running water

Bwahahaha. 3/4 of residents don't have water? Smh

Just so you know, Enugu's water supply is the best and most efficient I have seen in most Nigerian states (and I have been to many) . To buttress the point, Enugu is the state with the least private boreholeS and overhead tanks for water storage.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by cutekhalifa(m): 10:56am On Jun 20, 2016
Abeg in Aba a standard 3bed room flat around azikiwe rd, okigwe rd, and entire central of aba town range between 35,000 per month to 40,000 per month.... If u calculate it in per year u will concur that aba is one of the most expensive area in Nigeria, u can only get a flat of 20k to 25 off aba town
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by fratermathy(m): 11:02am On Jun 20, 2016
Gboliwe:

80k in Uyo?

And with water?

Bro, you are NOT in Uyo. You must be in ObotAkara, Ikono or Ika. You won't even get it this cheap in Ibesikpo, Abak or IK which are areas near Uyo

I'm in uyo. I rented a self con off Ikot Ekpene Road for 70k per year. Although there were no tiles and wardrobe and the kitchen/bathroom was small. However, I have atleast 18hours light daily with constant in house water! Security is guaranteed and the place is fenced.

Even in all these largely expensive cities, people can get lucky and get a cheap place. We just can't generalise. When I first got to Uyo, I was distressed! I saw houses of 150k to pay for 2years. But with a little patience and perseverance, I saw selfcons even as cheap as 65k, although some had no water, light, kitchen, etc. But mine had all save for their sizes.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by sniper77(m): 11:05am On Jun 20, 2016
Rapmoney:
The difference in price is not much between Uyo and Calabar, though, I know accommodation is not cheap in Calabar.

OK. Cos the range is 300-500 in enugu for a three bedroom flat and I know in some areas in calabar it is from 600k upwards. Enugu no suppose dey for the list wey u post.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by fippycbk(m): 11:07am On Jun 20, 2016
Why Warri go de before Port Harcourt de baffle me. 300k for 1 bedroom sef na with abeg for here. 2 bedrooms fit cost reach 700k sometimes gan.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by fippycbk(m): 11:20am On Jun 20, 2016
happydavies:
am paying 300k for 1bedroom flat in ph,n my sis pays 250k for selfcon,abeg who get mind call uyo here?

I swear. In a place like Rumuomasi you go see 2 bedroom for 700k. If you come go odili road or GRA, then ready to use rent for there buy plots of land for Uyo.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Kgdavid(m): 11:24am On Jun 20, 2016
badblog:
When I see house prices in Nigeria I laugh.. The system in UK I just so expensive. A one month flat rent here can rent good 2 bed in lagos for one year.

I wish one can make the money in uk and sleep in Nigeria. Lol

What of the money you make in UK? A burger flipper in the Uk can pay a burger flipper in Nigeria 10 times over, to be his personal burger flipper at home. No be so?

Gerrarrahia mehn
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Rapmoney(m): 11:25am On Jun 20, 2016
macjireh:

BROS SORRY TO SAY OOO, U AF LYE!!!

NOT EVERY 2BEDROOM FLAT IN WARRI IS 350K/YR....... IN FACT MOST 2BEDRUM FLATS WILL GO FOR FAR LESS DAN DAT,,,,,,I HAVE STAYED IN WARRI. DAT MONEY SHOULD BE 4 3BEDROOM FLAT MOST LIKELY
May be, you are talking about those 'kparo kparo' 2 bedroom flats situated in Old Warri. Have you done a survey in places like Effurun, Osubi and Okuokoko? Do that and get back to me, please cool
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by kuuljay(m): 11:27am On Jun 20, 2016
Gboliwe:

Just so you know, Enugu's water supply is the best and most efficient I have seen in most Nigerian states (and I have been to many) . To buttress the point, Enugu is the state with the least private boreholeS and overhead tanks for water storage. I have lived in enugu for 5 years now,is there water in Trans Ekulu, abakpa,emene,maryland etc? And why are there soo many water tankers on the road? You can't did borehole in enugu metro because it's sitting on coal that's why even hotels buy water the deepest you can get is digging a well bro,get your facts right

Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Rapmoney(m): 11:29am On Jun 20, 2016
stunningjudy:
op, why is yenegoa not on your list? 1 bedroom flat goes as high as 400k in yenegoa, self con as high as 250k. landlords just try to get back money spent on building. i cant blame them entirely because the cost of building in yenegoa is high due to the nature of the land (swamp).
The self-con you mentioned is commonly referred to as bed-sitter. It's totally outrageous for bed-sitter to go for 250k!!! What type of jobs do these people do? Baffles me.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Rapmoney(m): 11:31am On Jun 20, 2016
surestsam:
bro, i think you should do your research well too , d op pick lagos as a state.. He didnt pick d expensive cities at lagos... Lagos should b compare to Rivers. Plus the op mentioned lagos mainland.. I wonder why he chose that ahead of lagos island...
Yea, I used Lagos mainland as a base. I did not use the Island because I know rent is seriously outrageous over there.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by kuuljay(m): 11:33am On Jun 20, 2016
[quote author=Gboliwe post=46744333]

Just so you know, Enugu's water supply is the best and most efficient I have seen in most Nigerian states (and I have been to many) . To buttress the point, Enugu is the state with the least private boreholeS and overhead tanks for water storage.

[/quoteI have lived in enugu for 5 years now,is there water in Trans Ekulu, abakpa,emene,maryland etc? And why are there soo many water tankers on the road? You can't did borehole in enugu metro because it's sitting on coal that's why even hotels buy water the deepest you can get is digging a well bro,get your facts right

[/quot
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by stunningjudy(f): 11:39am On Jun 20, 2016
Rapmoney:
The self-con you mentioned is commonly referred to as bed-sitter. It's totally outrageous for bed-sitter to go for 250k!!! What type of jobs do these people do? Baffles me.
ironically, the town is full of civil servants, bankers and corp members. and the civil servants are LGA workers, ministry workers and govt school teachers. then the 'grand' politicians!
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Rapmoney(m): 11:41am On Jun 20, 2016
okuneddie and IdyRaph, I couldn't read your mails. Pls, resend to kelvin.ukachukwu.nwosu@gmail.com. Send directly from your email.
Thanks.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by irisola(f): 11:42am On Jun 20, 2016
surestsam:
Akure too cheap nw, cant be in the first 20 expensive cities sef...

Ermmmm.. Before you quote me, know that i stayd at akure for 7years... I left ak 2014..
and me am living in akr.. nt schooling there tho bt akr is my domicile
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by fredie107(m): 11:50am On Jun 20, 2016
And here in Jos, I pay #130k for two bedroom flat. The highest you get in Jos is about #300k with enough facilities especially water.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 20, 2016
Lol., Ok wait a Moment..,

I am Paying 700k in Abuja for One Bedroom flat My Cousin is Paying 500k for self Contain...,abeg who get Mind to call PH?

Point is we all feel the heat in our own different ways..., grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked wink

happydavies:
am paying 300k for 1bedroom flat in ph,n my sis pays 250k for selfcon,abeg who get mind call uyo here?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by surestsam(m): 12:22pm On Jun 20, 2016
irisola:

and me am living in akr.. nt schooling there tho bt akr is my domicile
ok.. I schooled at Akure....
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 12:26pm On Jun 20, 2016
chigoizie7:
Me, I have no idea of all these places una d mention.

But awka gat no chills.

Can u imagine a 1bedroom flat going @ 400k in Ngozika? 2bedroom flats @ 450k @ udoka. Around 600k for 2bedroom flats @ ngozika, let me forget about 3bedroom flats. Awka as a whole is fvckingly expensive in terms of rent. In student environment a room that is not upto 9ft by 9ft is around 120-150k, it is not as if water is guaranteed 247 oh,
These people are just mean
They are not talking of estates. Estates are expensive everywhere
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by Rapmoney(m): 12:32pm On Jun 20, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

They are not talking of estates. Estates are expensive everywhere
Yea, you can't compare the rate people pay in estates to what they would pay in a single building. Estates normally come with security, water, malls, stable power supply by having own transformer, etc.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by endove(f): 12:34pm On Jun 20, 2016
Lagos is the most expensive...though its not island nor ikeja but 2 bedroom flat is 350k and 3 bedroom is 400k and above...pray dat I ll build mine someday
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by happydavies(f): 12:37pm On Jun 20, 2016
Laburus:
Lol., Ok wait a Moment..,

I am Paying 700k in Abuja for One Bedroom flat My Cousin is Paying 500k for self Contain...,abeg who get Mind to call PH?

Point is we all feel the heat in our own different ways..., grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked wink

I no dey drag wit u,abuja was first on d list,some states are better not mentioned Daz if u undastnd
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by zik4ever: 12:38pm On Jun 20, 2016
With a national minimum wage of 18k, is there really any Nigerian city or major town that has affordable rent? Rent is high even in ordinary 'civil service' States and towns!
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage by endove(f): 12:39pm On Jun 20, 2016
Lagos is the most expensive...though its not island nor ikeja dat I reside but 2 bedroom flat is 350k and 3 bedroom is 400k and above in our area ...pray dat I ll build mine someday

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Eko Atlantic City Showcases First Street Light / Which Of These Warehouse Types Should I Go For? Photos / Inside Abuja’s Newest ‘container’ Office Structure (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.