Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,665 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS (3025 Views)

Help!!! An 'ss' Nairalander Cries Out (disturbing Photos) / Timetable For Sex For Married Couples, Good Or Not? / Reality Check For Couples That Are About To Be Engaged. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by braimeddy: 5:04pm On Jun 21, 2016
Good day my fellow niaralanders.
A friend of mine that got married recently, the mistake they made was that they didn't check their genotype before they got married. Now they have a 9month old son who is SS. And they have been spending a lot of cash on this boy. When the parents went for check up, they found out that they are both AS. Now my friend is planning to divorce his wife he got married to for a year plus. What advice can I give to him, should I tell him to go ahead on the divorce, still be with the wife, or marry a second wife?

lalasticlala Pls move it to fp for a wider view. Thank
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by delishpot: 5:16pm On Jun 21, 2016
Some men are selfish sha, in all l these, I do not see where the woman's opinion was even mentioned talkless of considered. Na wa for some people o

2 Likes

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by crackhaus: 5:41pm On Jun 21, 2016
1. Will divorce cure the little child of his sickle-cell anemia?
2. Will he be able to afford a second wife when he's already complaining of spending too much on his sick boy?

The best they can do is to stick together and care for that child properly, being SS isn't the end of the world - my mom has a Doctor friend now in his early sixties who has lived with it his entire life.
All they have to do is be doubly extra careful what the child eats, drinks, baths and plays with - apart from the periodic sickness that will come, the situation can be managed if the child is protected to a great extent from bacteria, fungi and viruses.
A very weak immune system in SS patients is actually the reason they keep getting sick, they can get infected very easily.

Also tell your friend to try for another child, there's a very high probability the next won't be SS since the first already carries the genome...but please, they should seek medical advice first before going forward.
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by braimeddy: 5:49pm On Jun 21, 2016
It was the woman's opinion that the husband should get a second wife. But I know that he can't manage two wives.
delishpot:
Some men are selfish sha, in all l these, I do not see where the woman's opinion was even mentioned talkless of considered. Na wa for some people o
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by braimeddy: 5:53pm On Jun 21, 2016
He won't be able to afford a second wife which I'm of at this stage he's. His fear is for him to have anoda sickle cell child that's why he's considering the option of divorcing his wife
crackhaus:
1. Will divorce cure the little child of his sickle-cell anemia?
2. Will he be able to afford a second wife when he's already complaining of spending too much on his sick boy?

The best they can do is to stick together and care for that child properly, being SS isn't the end of the world - my mom has a Doctor friend now in his early sixties who has lived with it his entire life.
All they have to do is be doubly extra careful what the child eats, drinks, baths and plays with - apart from the periodic sickness that will come, the situation can be managed if the child is protected to a great extent from bacteria, fungi and viruses.
A very weak immune system in SS patients is actually the reason they keep getting sick, they can get infected very easily.

Also tell your friend to try for another child, there's a very high probability the next won't be SS since the first already carries the genome...but please, they should seek medical advice first before going forward.
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by crackhaus: 6:05pm On Jun 21, 2016
braimeddy:
He won't be able to afford a second wife which I'm of at this stage he's. His fear is for him to have anoda sickle cell child that's why he's considering the option of divorcing his wife
Like I typed before:

...there's a very high probability the next won't be SS since the first already carries the genome...but please, they should seek medical advice first before going forward.
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by braimeddy: 6:16pm On Jun 21, 2016
OK thanks for your advice
crackhaus:

Like I typed before:

...there's a very high probability the next won't be SS since the first already carries the genome...but please, they should seek medical advice first before going forward.
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by Dyt(f): 6:20pm On Jun 21, 2016
crackhaus:

Like I typed before:

There's more than high possibilities the other kids will be SS

If they don't want another child, they should play safe, they shouldn't try having another in the name of faith
Testing God?

The child needs both of his parents

But if they wanna have another child
There's are options
More costly
She can get preggy and when its like 10 or 14weeks not sure
She can do a foetus test to know the child's genotype
Its costly
The other option is getting both partners A chromosomes
Also very expensive
Last I knew was 2m

They can manage the child excellently well
That people won't even know
Its not s totally bad situation
They live very well too

If they are in lag
They should go sickle cell clinic idi Araba
They will be counselled and lots more

Wishing the child a happy life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by crackhaus: 6:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
Dyt:

If they don't want another child, they should play safe, they shouldn't try having another in the name of faith
Testing God?

There's are options
More costly
Its costly
Also very expensive
Last I knew was 2m

They live very well too

If they are in lag

Lol @faith testing God. grin

I didn't say there's a high probability the other kids won't be SS, I said there's a high probability the next one won't be SS since the first already has it (sometimes even with twins, only one can be SS)... and of course they should seek medical advise before going forward on that account.

We on the same page regardless.
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by crackhaus: 6:33pm On Jun 21, 2016
braimeddy:
You're welcome.
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by njiasi30(f): 2:13am On Jun 22, 2016
Dat is why it is gd 2 check ur genotype b4 marriage, 2 avoid stories dat touches d heart. D decision is in dere hands, dey should seek medical advice first den know if 2 continue or nt BC dere is a slight possibility dey will give birth to another SS. I wish dem well. embarassed

1 Like

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by Neverquit(f): 5:00am On Jun 22, 2016
Why didn't they ask each other about their genotype? So what were they discussing during courtship? Very irresponsible.

Anyway, it has happened. If they genuinely love each other, they should stay together. They can adopt and/or do what Dyt suggested.

Scenario 1: parents are AS, they had four kids... 3 AA, 1 AS
Scenario 2: parents as AS, they also had four kids...all SS

Please, don't follow that logic about the 2nd child having a low probability of not being SS. Huge gamble that may or may not pay off.

Tell your friends to get proper education/info about the Sickle Cell.

P.S: For the singles (and soon to be married) biko ask your partner about his/her genotype to avoid stories that touch.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by kindredspirit(m): 6:51am On Jun 22, 2016
braimeddy:

Before you accept / agree with every random advise, how about consult with a professional face-to-face?

Listen, the possibility that a second child could also be SS is just as high as the first one who is SS, okay? Don't be misled. The fact that the first child is Genotype SS has no bearing on what a second ( or more) child(ren) turn(s) out to be.

For AS+AS couples : whenever the wife is pregnant, there is a 25% chance that the baby could be SS. It has NOTHING to do with the number of children they have. In your friend's case, the first child is SS. A second child could also be SS. Heck, even a THIRD ! It is pretty much a roll-of-dice, you see.

1 Like

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by braimeddy: 7:16am On Jun 22, 2016
Foetus test could have been a better option but I knw quiet they can't afford that. The guy will always want to have a second baby. If u were in this kind of situation ( God forbid) what will you have done?
Dyt:

Testing God?

There's are options
More costly
Its costly
Also very expensive
Last I knew was 2m

They live very well too

If they are in lag

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by Dyt(f): 8:03am On Jun 22, 2016
braimeddy:
Foetus test could have been a better option but I knw quiet they can't afford that. The guy will always want to have a second baby. If u were in this kind of situation ( God forbid) what will you have done?

I know your friend is probably asking for a divorce and the wife will just wanna please the society by staying married at all cost
Some people like us Dyt are indifferent about so so many things in which marriage is one of them
I am not against marriage o
Infact I love sweet marriages

In my own case
I walked out
grin grin angry angry

And pls all focus should be on the child biko
The baby needs everything to survive
Can I be the child's God mother?
smiley

I promise to check up on him/her once in a while
cheesy
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by thorpido(m): 8:55am On Jun 22, 2016
crackhaus:

Like I typed before:

Not true.It has no scientific basis.The first has no bearing on what the second will carry.

@Op,people still get married at this age without a knowledge of their genotypes?smh.Cos all they do during courtship is fvck.
Throwing away the wedding because of this situation is not good enough reason.They should care for this baby and hold off having more children for now.They should go through the process of testing/child selection if they can afford it later on in life or they adopt.

1 Like

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by Dyt(f): 10:36am On Jun 22, 2016
thorpido:

@Op,people still get married at this age without a knowledge of their genotypes?smh.Cos all they do during courtship is fvck.

Lmao
This cracked me up
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

thorpido:

Throwing away the wedding because of this situation is not good enough reason.

Well
Rolls eyes
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by crackhaus: 11:28am On Jun 22, 2016
thorpido:
Not true.It has no scientific basis.The first has no bearing on what the second will carry.

Throwing away the wedding because of this situation is not good enough reason.They should care for this baby and hold off having more children for now.They should go through the process of testing/child selection if they can afford it later on in life or they adopt.

...there's a very high probability the next won't be SS since the first already carries the genome ...but please, they should seek medical advice first before going forward.
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by thorpido(m): 11:39am On Jun 22, 2016
crackhaus:

...there's a very high probability the next won't be SS since the first already carries the genome ...but please, they should seek medical advice first before going forward.
You no wan gree she?
We are talking medical issue here i hope you understand.
Medically,the probability of having a child with SS genotype after a first one is 25%. That means if the child falls in that 25%(which is no small percentage),it will be an SS genotype carrying child.
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by crackhaus: 12:40pm On Jun 22, 2016
thorpido:
You no wan gree she?
We are talking medical issue here i hope you understand.
Medically,the probability of having a child with SS genotype after a first one is 25%. That means if the child falls in that 25%(which is no small percentage),it will an SS genotype carrying child.
Brother man, free me na... grin
Are we not saying the same thing basically?

You say the probability of having a child with the SS genotype after the first one is 25%, I said there's a high probability the next won't be SS (which falls into the remaining 75%) grin

I also ended it by saying they should seek medical advise before going forward...cos even with the high (75%) probability the next won't be SS, it's still a gamble.

My submission is based on two different familes I know personally, not hear-say.
The first son in one family is SS, the second and third are not.
The second family has twins as first issue and only one twin is SS...the second issue (a boy) is not.

Seeking medical advise like I already surmised in my very first post should tell you I'm not taking the absolute stance on my opinions. The second-born may be SS and also may not be...and according to you, the chances of the former is 25%, thus leaving 75% for the latter - didn't you still prove my high probability of the latter submission in the end? grin
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by Beremx(f): 1:01pm On Jun 22, 2016
I know of three couples who are AS but they went ahead to get married. They are all educated and are not illiterates. Does it mean the educated couples out of ignorance go ahead and marry without doing a genotype test or they just forget to do it? I don't understand o!

,Anyway, as for your friend, i have nothing to say. They should do as they wish.
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by crackhaus: 1:01pm On Jun 22, 2016
Neverquit:

Scenario 1: parents are AS, they had four kids... 3 AA, 1 AS
Scenario 2: parents as AS, they also had four kids...all SS
This your scenario 2 dey defy the laws of permutation and combination sha, not to mention natural selection. gringrin

Oga Thorpido, how possible is it that all four kids end up being SS...even without a medical degree, basic biology did not teach me this one.
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by seun1975(m): 2:05pm On Jun 22, 2016
Nobody should be misled here. At every (and I mean every) pregnancy, couples with AS each carry 25% probability of having an SS child.

Its not about first one is 25% & the other is 75% in subsequent percent.

So, one family can have all kids being SS & another not having at all or a different combination of 1/2 (depending on number of kids) of their kids being SS.

Preg 1: 25% SS
Preg 2: 25% SS
Preg 3: 25% SS

And on and one depending on number of kids. Each pregnancy has same probability. So, a family might be unfortunate to have all same type of genotype, mixed type of genotype: AA (25%), AS (76%) & SS (25%).

Advice to such couple is to visit a medical practioner to explain stuffs. In addition, if in Lagos visit Sickle Cell Foundation in Idi Araba opposite LUTH.

Also, since there are physiological & emotional strain on both parents- they can seek counselling of they want to have genotype test for their next kid at 13weeks stage of pregnancy- its not up to the figure quoted earlier!

Lastly, which is the last resort is Bone Marrow Transplant. But ultimately, parents should care & support their child to gain mastery of managing SCD condition. Its not all gloom.

Note: Stop stigmatization of Sickle Cell. Break the Cycle in Nigeria. Get tested before marriage. No child or even parent is worthy of pains, divorce (in this case) and financial drain that comes with managing the condition.

Bless.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by seun1975(m): 2:09pm On Jun 22, 2016
*75% please on my post above
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by thorpido(m): 2:10pm On Jun 22, 2016
crackhaus:

This your scenario 2 dey defy the laws of permutation and combination sha, not to mention natural selection. gringrin

Oga Thorpido, how possible is it that all four kids end up being SS...even without a medical degree, basic biology did not teach me this one.
Yes,because It's not basic biology actually,it's genetics.It is possible to have four kids and all end up as SS.Look at this diagram below;If the first child turns out to be child 3 sperm,the second child could be child 4 sperm which also makes him an SS child.

AS. + AS
/ / / \ / \ \ \
AS AS SS AS. AS AS AS. SS
1. 2. 3. 4. 1. 2. 3. 4

The chances are neither reduced nor increased by the birth of another child.
I know a family of four children.3 of the children are SS.Unfortunately,one is late now.

1 Like

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by thorpido(m): 2:19pm On Jun 22, 2016
crackhaus:

Brother man, free me na... grin
Are we not saying the same thing basically?

You say the probability of having a child with the SS genotype after the first one is 25%, I said there's a high probability the next won't be SS (which falls into the remaining 75%) grin

I also ended it by saying they should seek medical advise before going forward...cos even with the high (75%) probability the next won't be SS, it's still a gamble.

My submission is based on two different familes I know personally, not hear-say.
The first son in one family is SS, the second and third are not.
The second family has twins as first issue and only one twin is SS...the second issue (a boy) is not.

Seeking medical advise like I already surmised in my very first post should tell you I'm not taking the absolute stance on my opinions. The second-born may be SS and also may not be...and according to you, the chances of the former is 25%, thus leaving 75% for the latter - didn't you still prove my high probability of the latter submission in the end? grin
We are not saying the same thing exactly.You are looking at it from the value of the percentage rather than the implication of the percentage.
Let us see this picture:an ejaculate of s.emen contains about 180million sperma.25% will give you 45million sperma.That means about 45 million sperma could carry the SS genotype.Now only one sperma will fertilise the egg.Can you see the chances of one out of the 45million doing that job?It's no small percentage.
The family you know that has the first son as SS and the 2nd and 3rd not having is just a question of chance.In some families,the second and even the 3rd could be SS.
Like I mentioned earlier,I know of a family of four with 3 being SS.The first born,the second born who unfortunately is late,and the last born.

1 Like

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by thorpido(m): 2:35pm On Jun 22, 2016
Beremx:
I know of three couples who are AS but they went ahead to get married. They are all educated and are not illiterates. Does it mean the educated couples out of ignorance go ahead and marry without doing a genotype test or they just forget to do it? I don't understand o!

,Anyway, as for your friend, i have nothing to say. They should do as they wish.
Most educated ones who get married do that out of stubbornness,faith that they will be healed or just wish it away that it won't be their lot.
I know most people who start dating don't consider checking genotype(some don't even know theirs) until the relationship is far gone.By the time they realise and do checks,most of them feel they have reached a point of no return and decide to defy the odds.

1 Like

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by elektra(f): 2:41pm On Jun 22, 2016
crackhaus:

Also tell your friend to try for another child, there's a very high probability the next won't be SS since the first already carries the genome...

Please edit your post, this statement is completely false. People are telling you but you no wan gree. The chance of getting an SS child from two AS parents is the same with EVERY PREGNANCY i.e 25%, regardless of what genotype the previous children are.

2 Likes

Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by crackhaus: 8:26am On Jun 23, 2016
elektra:

Please edit your post, this statement is completely false. People are telling you but you no wan gree.
The chance of getting an SS child from two AS parents is the same with EVERY PREGNANCY i.e 25%, regardless of what genotype the previous children are.
Agreed, the statement is completely false...I take it back.

If the chance of getting an SS child is 25% for every pregnancy, what is the %chance of getting a non-SS child for the same of each of those pregnancies?
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by crackhaus: 8:43am On Jun 23, 2016
thorpido:
We are not saying the same thing exactly.You are looking at it from the value of the percentage rather than the implication of the percentage.
Let us see this picture:an ejaculate of s.emen contains about 180million sperma.25% will give you 45million sperma.That means about 45 million sperma could carry the SS genotype.Now only one sperma will fertilise the egg.Can you see the chances of one out of the 45million doing that job?It's no small percentage.
I believe it's really my comment about the second not getting it with respect to the first that caused this miscomunication.

And NO, I wasn't looking at the value of the percentage, you give me no credit man... grin
I already interpreted the implication of the percentages before typing my previous response to you.

25% of 180million sperm carrying the SS genotype is indeed 45million, so what is the implication by percentage of having sperm not carrying the SS genotype?

Is it 135million non-SS carrying Sperm?
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by Dyt(f): 9:41am On Jun 23, 2016
crackhaus:

Can you please just stop this
The fact the families you know were lucky enough to have one don't mean there are no families with 6 kids and all disabled
Pls just stop
You only know what you know
angry angry

If it was your basic biology route
Will SS come first or even second?
Re: HELP! An Advice Needed On Couples That Are Both AS by thorpido(m): 9:58am On Jun 23, 2016
crackhaus:

I believe it's really my comment about the second not getting it with respect to the first that caused this miscomunication.

And NO, I wasn't looking at the value of the percentage, you give me no credit man... grin
I already interpreted the implication of the percentages before typing my previous response to you.

25% of 180million sperm carrying the SS genotype is indeed 45million, so what is the implication by percentage of having sperm not carrying the SS genotype?

Is it 135million non-SS carrying Sperm?

Guy,you just don't want to concede.
I've been replying you so that Op or anyone who reads the thread will not be misinformed.Let's leave out figures for now.The most important thing is;
if two people with AS genotype marry,they can have the first,second or even all their children carry the SS genotype.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opinion: Why Is The Death Of Father More Common In Nigerian Homes / Divorce The Only Option For Me, I Still Love Her But She Can't Change / Nigeria Girl Turn Model Because Of Her Kaleidescopic Eye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.