Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Don't Fly Bellview! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Don't Fly Bellview! (7783 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Can I Fly To Any Schengen Country Without Stopping At The Country Of Issuance? / How To Fly With A Small Dog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Fly Bellview! by layinx(f): 1:05pm On Sep 02, 2009
Don't ever fly BELLVIEW! why, ? well,

Part 1
My intention was to travel to the United Kingdom to spend my holiday of 2 weeks with my sister and her family and maybe, do a spot of shopping and some other stuff. I began with phone calls to some travel agent and their responses were all similar. They told me Virgin and B.A were fully booked (by the very rich or timely, I suppose) and my options were limited to Arik, Qatar and Bellview. I had to choose and I chose bellview (if it because they were cheap I wouldn't feel so cheated). Arik was not available for the dates I wanted to travel and I didn't like Qatar's idea of stopping over somewhere in the Middle East for a couple of hours, so my major reason was that Bellview would take me straight to London.

Scene 1
Murtala Mohammed Airport.
I arrived at the airport at 6a.m and the queue was already about 100 human beings long.
I finally checked in around 8.50a.m and there were still another 100 or more people behind me to check in for a 9.05 flight. We all waited and boarded the aircraft, finally, at 11.30 a.m.

Scene 2
The plane is full of surprises.
We were about to board and I suddenly noticed the plane had "euromediterranean" inscribed on it.
Lady behind me: S’cuse me. Please may I see your ticket? I think I'm getting on the wrong plane. My ticket says Bellview.
Me: I don't know o. I’m really confused.
Airhostess: Yes, come, come. It eeez Bellview. (In Indian accent)
Me (soliloquizing): Her uniform is red and green. I thought Bellview colours were sky blue and white. Anyway make I sha reach London in one piece.
Me: My seat number is 23A please (I had specifically asked for a window seat).
Airhostess: Don’t worreee, Madam. It eez free seating. You can sit any where you like (no first class or business class).
Me: Oh ok (now more confused).

One woman almost went crazy.
Woman: Look here. How can you tell me it is free sitting when I have 6 children, all under the age of 12? We are a family we should sit together. Look at our boarding passes. They are numbered serially (in a flawless British accent). Shuo! Na whish kain mumu flight attendant be dis wan o! (In Waffi accent)
Me: Laff wan kill me! I just could not suppress the giggles.
Airhostess: Sorry, Madam.

Scene 3
More surprises.
Public Address system comes on.
Pilot: Good morning ladies and gentlemen (in Middle Eastern accent).
You are welcome aboard Egypt Air……………. (5 seconds pause) and Bellview Airlines (In a louder voice) flight 328 to London Heathrow, bla, bla, bla…….
Please listen while we take you through the safety procedure, bla, bla, bla…….
Before take of, an air freshener would be sprayed to neutralize any odours. Please cover your nose and mouth In case you are sensitive to the chemicals (I swear to God he said that) shortly after take-off we will show you a movie from our selection, to keep you entertained.
So, they sprayed the things, we took off nicely and they started the movie (Marley and Me, Jennifer Anniston). Alas, there was no audio.
Me: Excuse me. My earphones not working
Airhost (lol): Our engineers are worrrking on eet. There’s sound is not coming up.
(Please I need to describe him. He was bald with large eyes and his English sounded a lot like Arabic. Yeah, that’s it)
1 Woman: Iro lon pa o! ko ni sise(Yoruba for; he’s lying. It won’t work)
Me: I didn’t know it was general. I thought it was my earphones.

The audio never came up. So I had to imagine what Jennifer was saying. I had to imagine what Marley was saying too, but luckily he didn’t say much. Marley’s a dog!
I also had to imagine;
- Why the blankets gave off a horrible smell.
- Why the flight attendants had Air Italy on their badges.
- Why people opened the toilets and shut them again running back to their seats (some screaming)
- Why the flight attendants kept going to and from the toilet holding a big teapot(no, I didn’t drink any tea thanks)
- Why my window wouldn’t shut and the sun was burning my skin off
- Why lot of people were fanning themselves
- Why the people seated by the toilet looked so angry and were holding their noses.

The flight felt a lot longer than 5-6 hours. I thought my Swatch stopped working, but then Swatches don’t do that. Only some other watches do. When we eventually landed in London the time was 5.45 p.m and the landing was just as good as the take-off.

Anyway, so I don't spoil business for Bellview. If you enjoy suspense, adventure, bad odours, scary rides and emotional trauma, go ahead and fly Bellview after all, they are The Preferred Airline.

Watch out for part 2,lol.

Part 2
I had a very nice time, thanks to my sister, her husband, their two beautiful daughters and many other people who might be offended if I put their names here. I had fun and I rested. I had Ramadan, work and Akute -Lagos traffic on my mind. I had done my last minute shopping and said my bye-byes. I was packing my luggage when my phone rang and the following conversation ensued:

Scene1
Preparation for arrival.
Person: Good evening. May I speak with passenger Olayinka, please? (Yoruba- British accent)
Me: Speaking.
Person: I’m sorry to inform you that your flight to Lagos has been cancelled……
Me: But I have to be at work on Monday (being my very hard working self, wink).
Person: Not to worry, madam. The flight has been rescheduled for Sunday evening, so you will
be in Lagos on Monday morning.
Me: Uh…., ok? (Confused)
Person: Thanks. Bye bye (hangs up).

So, I told my sis and we started deliberating. Could it be true? It’s never happened to me before (but I used to fly B.A and Virgin, and even Virgin Nigeria when it was in existence). I later decided it was one of my friends playing pranks (Bode, I actually thought it was you) and so I called the number back.

Me: Hello. You just called me.
Person: Is that Buki? bla bla bla……….
Me: No, this is Yinka. What is my surname?
Person: Hold on a second please. ….Is it Ademuyiwa? The flight has been canc……….
Me: What’s the flight number?
Person: B3 283
Me: Ok. Thanks (I hang up feeling dejected)

I discovered it was for real. Not a prank but gross inefficiency on the part of Bellview airlines. Anyway, my sister and her family were going to a party the next day, so, it would not be a boring wait. We had fun at the party and didn’t have to worry about the time or any journey to the airport.

Scene 2
Bellview Office
The next day, I packed again and we went to the shops to get chocolates (last minute shopping again. Yeah, for you guys. I’m fasting.). Once again, my phone rang and the number looked familiar. You guessed right! Bellview again.

Person: Please, is theees passenger Olayinka Adem…….? (Indian accent this time)
Me: Yes, what is it this time?
Person: I’m sorree to say that yourrr flight has been cancelled again. Shifted to tomorrow,
Monday night. Same time.
Me: What?!, You’re joking. I mean, I’ve to go to work. Do I get any compensation for
this?
Person: I’m sorry. I’m not Bellview staff. We were only paid to make the phonecalls(beep).
You can call their office to talk to their manager about compensation.
Me: Hello,helloo.

I’ve never felt like that before. What….! To get one’s heart broken twice in the space of 24hrs.
Anyway, we went back home with the chocolates and I start sending out text messages to my family, friends and associates……FLIGHT CANCELLED AGAIN. I DO NOT KNOW WHEN I AM COMING TO NIGERIA.
PLS START LOOKING FOR ANOTHER JOB FOR ME.

The next morning, my sister, very kindly, went with me to Bellview’s office in Kilburn. We didn’t get to see their manager for the 45 minutes that we spent there (they made my sis late for work). They told us they would fly that night but they could not tell us the exact time for check-in or take-off. One nice supervisor (Mr. Olusakin, or so) endorsed my ticket and also tried to polish their already very tarnished image in his lovely Yoruba accent (not in the least influenced by working in London). My sis (a lawyer b.t.w) asked him if I would get any compensation (in her correct British phoneh) and it took him another 10 minutes to explain that I might not get any compensation. We had to leave before he finished, though, because we were sure that they wouldn’t pay for our parking ticket. My sis went to work and I, back to her house.

Scene 3
At the Airport
We got to the airport at 6.30.p.m to check in for a 9.45.p.m flight. The queue was “3 days long”. Saturday people, Sunday people and the original Monday people. My 7 year old niece said she’d never seen so many African people in one gathering. We were all in a dilemma. Some other passengers who didn’t get any phone call had been taken to a hotel by Bellview airlines only to be sent out later because Bellview didn’t pay.

I felt so sorry for a group of 80 children (and their care givers/teachers) who were visiting the U.K for the first time on excursion. We finally started to check-in around 8.00.p.m. The Saturday people (my category) first, then Sunday people and finally a handful of Monday people (in my opinion, they might have bribed their way through). I had dinner with my sis and family at one of the restaurants at Heathrow (they were really kind to stay with me through the whole ordeal). They went home wishing me luck and leaving me to my fate as, I walked through the boarding gate. The time was 9.30p.m.

All the passengers had come through the boarding gates by 12.p.m (yes, boarding took that long).
We couldn’t even eat nor do any shopping because all the duty-free shops had closed. We were subjected to compulsory socializing or compulsory sleep. I chose the option of talking to my self.

We finally boarded the aircraft at 2.42a.m (that was Tuesday). Same Egypt airplane, same cabin crew (not very good looking or maybe I was just tired). The food was good though (or maybe I was just very hungry, lol). I don’t want to scare you, but I think the flight was very bumpy, noisy (grinding sounds) and shaky.

Scene 4
Finally in 9j.
We finally landed in Nigeria at around 8.a.m on Tuesday morning. First thing I did was read a whole chapter of the Quran (I confess, a short one) to thank God for his mercies. Then, I called my boss.
Me: Good morning Sir. We just landed.
Oga: hmmmm. Ok. Welcome. You can go home
Me: (near tears). What sir? I’m fired?
Oga: (laughing) No, go home and rest. See you tomorrow.
Me: Thank you sir. God bless you
Oga: You’re welcome. Next time don’t fly Bellview o!

Little did I, know that the drama wasn’t over. One of their staff came to tell us” SORRY YOUR BAGS HAVE NOT ARRIVED, PLS COME ON WEDNESDAY”
Gotta go. I’m off to the airport to look for my luggage!

P.S. Do you think I should seek legal compensation from Bellview?
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by noblegas2(m): 1:38pm On Sep 02, 2009
u shuld be a comedian cuz i was just LMAO
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 02, 2009
grin grin grin

That was so funny!! Everyone in my office is wondring what's wrong with me!!
Bellview God forbid!!
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by ogogoro: 1:52pm On Sep 02, 2009
loooooooooool. Get a blog, woman! grin
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by Nobody: 1:55pm On Sep 02, 2009
P.S. Do you think I should seek legal compensation from Bellview?

You are kidding right grin grin grin
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by omar22(m): 2:04pm On Sep 02, 2009
From another post

I work in the Nigerian Aviation Industry; please understand that the economic meltdown is seriously affecting the Aviation Industry (worldwide). I remember flying Bellview Airlines B3 282 to London in 2006 and it was a beautiful experience.

What a load of clap-trap!!! so tell me who did they order the 'Tokunbo' 767 from Delta or American airline, its an American plane and Delta has hundreds to get rid off because they want to upgrade to a 2 tier plane like Virgin, Patronising Nigeria is ok but when my life is on the line I go for value for money, The Rich British people do go for Emirate/ Swissair instead of BA, So because I want to patronise Nigeria I should get something that looks like 911 Molue to goes straight CMS, no thanks, Arik is doing fine but the moment the take the airline of the Portuguese management firm I would stop travelling with it
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by hamjola: 2:11pm On Sep 02, 2009
;d ;d.u r so funny.u write so well and to the point. i wont be surprise if u are a journalist.seeking compensation will take time and energy.just try and get ur luggages.nice one
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by ybab: 2:27pm On Sep 02, 2009
@ post

lmao ! grin grin grin
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by JeSoul(f): 4:51pm On Sep 02, 2009
Noooooo Waaaayyyyy!!! This was HILARIOUS!!!! Lol grin grin cheesy grin I read every single word (something I don't think I've ever done on NL).
layinx, I enjoyed this immensely! you're a fantastic story-teller.

ps. Have you gotten your luggage yet? cheesy
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by layinx(f): 5:21pm On Sep 02, 2009
thanx y'all.
@ hamjola. no i'm not a journalist. smiley
@Ogogoro, do u really think i shoud get a blog?
yes i got my luggage. one bag, ripped, the other bag wet.
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by LaNiger(m): 6:36pm On Sep 02, 2009
Great write up, I felt like I was on the plane with you. Amazing and I concur that Airline is really an embarassment to us as a country.

Great job grin
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by JeSoul(f): 7:30pm On Sep 02, 2009
Yes yes get a blog sista, I will read it religiously if you remain this funny smiley
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 02, 2009
layinx:

thanx y'all.
@ hamjola. no i'm not a journalist. smiley
@Ogogoro, do u really think i shoud get a blog?
yes i got my luggage. one bag, ripped, the other bag wet.

Good Lawd, I don't need to ask if all your stuff was intact!! I know the answer
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by Nobody: 11:20pm On Sep 02, 2009
LMYO! cheesy
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by Nobody: 6:00am On Sep 03, 2009
grin grin grin
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 03, 2009
Thank God it's on the front page.

I was wondering how to beg Seun to put it on the front page
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by impish: 2:53pm On Sep 03, 2009
Lololololol! Gosh. Every1 here is lookin at me funny but I dont care. The bestest post in a long time on here. Nice one, n pls, get a blog, wen u do pls let us no. U can write about other experiences like umm, another bellview flight. lol. ;DIm sure therel be more surprises there!!!!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by Oluschenco(m): 3:01pm On Sep 03, 2009
Hmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by Nezan(m): 3:06pm On Sep 03, 2009
interesting
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by floriana(m): 3:16pm On Sep 03, 2009
pls dont abuse me o.

But How do i do these on Nland:

1. Make front-page posts

2. Respond to members posts with their posts as references
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by ashaby(f): 3:22pm On Sep 03, 2009
This is so funny i can't believe it actually happend. It's so vivid and imaginative. Pls dont bother ursef with a non-existing compensation. Just tidy up ur luggage and look the other way when Bellf**k is mentioned!

LMAO

PS: PLEASE GET A BLOG, WALLAHI I GO SUBSCRIBE, lol
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by ritapearl(f): 3:32pm On Sep 03, 2009
LWKM- Laugh Wan Kill Me.

You are a great story teller.

I dont normally have patience to read long articles but i did that word for word.

I really enjoyed it.

grin
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by watershed1: 3:39pm On Sep 03, 2009
floriana:

pls dont abuse me o.

But How do i do these on Nland:

1. Make front-page posts

2. Respond to members posts with their posts as references

Make we nor yab you? ok we wont!

You nor dey try sha

Well to answer your question 1, I have done exactly that.
Now, this is what to do:
When you have clicked reply, go to the person's post you intend to reference as click on "Insert Quote".
It will be inserted into the compose page and then you can type beneath as I have done now,

For number 2, ur topic determines that or if you are Seun's girlfriend, grin
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by Emperoh(m): 3:44pm On Sep 03, 2009
KAI!! I don die with laughter. . . , .  .my oga a serious big man has been laughing!!!!
Jeez!! this will go on my FB page!!!!
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by ade2kay(m): 3:47pm On Sep 03, 2009
wow!, very descriptive writing, and a beautiful happy ending (ur boss giving u d day off). You write well, twas like watching a movie
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by saydfact(m): 3:59pm On Sep 03, 2009
waoh, I DONT THINK I EVER READ A POST THAT LONG ON NAIRALAND B4 (Maybe), nice story, and to chip this in, 9ICE SMILE U GOT ON UR PROFILE PICS, lol. (u didn't cover ur hair, pls do) I'm a moslem too,. lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by mayrho(m): 4:00pm On Sep 03, 2009
You are kidding right
You are either a journalist or a Nobel Laurette in the making Cos I think you should pursue a career in writing
thank God you got home safe and in one piece
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by kachiface(m): 4:01pm On Sep 03, 2009
This is definitely not happening!
Layinx, you've made a crowned workaholic like myself spend time reading every single word of a post, which I have NEVER EVER done, anywhere and laugh myself to stupor as well!

Secondly, thanks for saving my ass, I was just about to buy a bellview ticket for a trip tomorrow. I've never flown bellview anyways, but I had just decided I'd give 'em a try last night. 'Saved by the bell, !"

As for Bellview, sorrio.
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 03, 2009
Dont believe. Flown Bellview to London before and it was cool
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by etaurus(m): 4:07pm On Sep 03, 2009
I grin until i cry lol
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by ernal(m): 4:10pm On Sep 03, 2009
Hiabo! grin grin grin

next time save make u fit fly B>A
Re: Don't Fly Bellview! by r231(m): 4:21pm On Sep 03, 2009
lmao ;d ;d ;d ;d

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Of The Schenge Country Is The Best To Apply For Tourism Visa / Eastern Rail Operations: NRC Loses N1.04bn In 5yrs / Inquire On Visa To Belgium

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.