Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,523 members, 7,861,518 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:37 PM

EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana (32250 Views)

Release Cameroonian Separatists Now -falana Tells FG / How EFCC Can Win Corruption Cases In Court – Obasanjo / EFCC Should Arrest And Prosecute Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Bodmas94(m): 1:23pm On Jun 23, 2016
Reyginus:
Lolol. A court order for what? After arresting you the police get an arrest warrant. After sending you in Jail the system get a judgement. The section I just read quoted by Falana clearly indicates that the court order precede the Freezing. But you can still show me it says otherwise. Go ahead.
Bros, please next time when you are reading an article, especially one of this magnitude, do not skim through. It is only ridiculous and risible that you have failed to comprehend such a plain article as this. For your clarification, Mr Falana in this article that, "the senior lawyers who have questioned the freezing of Mr Fayose's account on the ground that the EFCC did not obtain a court order have not read section 28 of the EFCC Act which provides that 'where a person is arrested for an offence under this Act, the Commission shall IMMEDIATELY trace and attach all assets and properties of the person acquired as a result of such economic or financial crime AND SHALL THEREAFTER CAUSE TO BE OBTAINED AN INTERIM ATTACHMENT ORDER FROM THE COURT'". Are we clear now?
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by menxer: 1:28pm On Jun 23, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. So if a bank sponsored your election you lose your immunity? Wow. Tell me, was his account frozen after he said Zenith bank funded his election or before it?

You are begging the question.

What is the premise for EFCC freezing the account in the first place?

Which one came first, the alleged crime or Fayose's admittance of Zenith bank funding his campaign?

Sequential logical reasoning can be an issue especially when one has to do it in reverse order.
grin
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 23, 2016
Bodmas94:
Bros, please next time when you are reading an article, especially one of this magnitude, do not skim through. It is only ridiculous and risible that you have failed to comprehend such a plain article as this. For your clarification, Mr Falana in this article that, "the senior lawyers who have questioned the freezing of Mr Fayose's account on the ground that the EFCC did not obtain a court order have not read section 28 of the EFCC Act which provides that 'where a person is arrested for an offence under this Act, the Commission shall IMMEDIATELY trace and attach all assets and properties of the person acquired as a result of such economic or financial crime AND SHALL THEREAFTER CAUSE TO BE OBTAINED AN INTERIM ATTACHMENT ORDER FROM THE COURT'". Are we clear now?
I'd also have to advice you. This is very important. In articles where the newspaper or media outlet reports news, direct speeches, that is, statements expressed by a person is written in quotes and statements carrying the insinuations and inference drawn by the outfit is not in quotes.

The defense you presented above is not Falana's words but the inference drawn by the media outfit carrying the news. We've got brains for a purpose not exclusive to aesthetic value. You see, Bodmas, stating the above as statements made by Falana is not just only unintelligent but also mischievous. I take it back because I know you know this thing. But why? Okay. Show me Falana's Exact quote of condemnation and not his quotation of the law.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Justinah4real(f): 1:45pm On Jun 23, 2016
richidinho:
I appreciate the anti-corruption war, but I wish our media could also carry headlines of economic progress instead of incessant arrests by DSS/EFCC. We are so fixated on the anticorruption war that we are not noticing the steep decline in our economy. In one day, Aliko Dangote lost $3.7 billion according to Bloomberg. The only business booming in Nigeria today is the business of arresting and detaining. I would not mind if we are arresting economic decline! President Obasanjo fought corruption, but he also grew the economy. And he did this with oil at $15 per barrel (today it is $48). Low oil price is no excuse.
And if you ask this same man to show us the people that are corrupt you will hear that he has yaradua sickness, ear infection or conference for rat control. Is this how we will be distracted for the next 7yrs
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 23, 2016
menxer:

You are begging the question.

What is the premise for EFCC freezing the account in the first place?

Which one came first, the alleged crime or Fayose's admittance of Zenith bank funding his campaign?

Sequential logical reasoning can be an issue especially when one has to do it in reverse order.
grin
Lol. First I have to say, garnishing our words with molecules of insult doesn't add value or substance to them or us. This spice spoils the entire meal.

What premise are you talking about? That, in your words 'he has no immunity once he committed the offense'? Offense? Lol. How can something that is yet to proved to be an offense an offense?

In case you forgot your argument let me help you. Here is it:

'Fayose said "Zenith bank funded his campaign," which I will assume goes to form the bulk of funds frozen; meaning he had no immunity when
he committed the offence and can't be immune
from its consequences'

How am I the one now begging the question? Why should even answer my own question of which came first when you already posited:

'no immunity when he committed the offence and can't be immune from its consequences'. A statement he made after the frozen and a statement EFCC didn't even use as blueprint?

So tell me now, how can somebody be punished for committing an offense when the punishment is to show that he committed an offense? How do you think around this and your words now?
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by ikwubaba: 2:28pm On Jun 23, 2016
Ayanko:
You've forgotten that the statement can not disappear.

But the proceed of crime is used up. So it means a Governor can literally go into town shooting people and kill in 100s per day. And until he is removed or his tenor finishes, we cannot do anything to him. And even then, you cannot return the lives. If the account is not frozen, he will be allowed to benefit from crime while we watch. So if he cannot be prosecuted, he can at least be constrained from continuing the carnage. The framers of our constitution cannot be planning to create an invincible monster in our executives.

Reason why the NASS should be removing immunity instead of creating new ones.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by joedera: 3:06pm On Jun 23, 2016
Reyginus:
Just a little correction, bro. The EFCC froze the Account of Adamawa State Government and not Nyako's. The two are entirely different. Nyako's account was not touched. It's good we don't misinform people.

You see, in this fight against corruption, if our method fall short of due process it becomes corrupting. The EFCC should have gotten a court order permitting the act. Any contrary act, like we have now, is both corrupt and corrupting.

A governor can be investigated, that's true. Where Falana fails is to tell us if it's right to freeze the account of a sitting governor without recourse of a court of law. We shouldn't corrupt the system in the name of fighting corruption. Let's follow due process.

SO ARE YOU SAYING YOU DID NOT READ THIS PART OF THE ARTICLE?

"since there is no immunity for impunity as far as electoral malfeasance is concerned, the investigation by the EFCC is in order. The senior lawyers who have questioned the freezing of Mr. Fayose’s account on the ground that the EFCC did not obtain a court order have not read section 28 of the EFCC Act which provides that “where a person is arrested for an offence under this Act, the Commission shall immediately trace and attach all the assets and properties of the person acquired as a result of such economic or financial crime and shall thereafter cause to be obtained an interim attachment order from the Court”. The law permits the EFCC to freeze an account or attach a property of a criminal suspect and proceed thereafter to obtain an ex parte order from the appropriate court."
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Okpueze1(m): 3:11pm On Jun 23, 2016
Falana I lost my hope in you the very moment I saw your name among the SANS defending Buhari's certificate.

Be aware that if this case holds for Fayose's election and his eventual impeachment even after the Supreme Court upheld his election, it will also hold for Buhari's election because their elections had the same issue of illegal funding and many other serving executives covered by the same section 308 Immunity.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by ikwubaba: 3:12pm On Jun 23, 2016
Reyginus:
Lolol. A court order for what? After arresting you the police get an arrest warrant. After sending you in Jail the system get a judgement. The section I just read quoted by Falana clearly indicates that the court order precede the Freezing. But you can still show me it says otherwise. Go ahead.

I think you are deliberately refusing to get the explanation and refusing to follow the logic. So first for EFCC to freeze an account, it first investigate it by calling for information of such account from the bank. The owner of the account is alerted immediately. And zap!!! he withdraws everything. If there was need to trap the money which may be a proceed of crime, that is defeated. Similar to arresting you. The police does that and get court to remand you. Police does not see a criminal and first approach the court before arresting abi? They approach the court to keep you in remand after arresting you. Na same thing...trap the cash first and get court order to continue to keep it.

If you like continue to stubbornly refuse to understand.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 23, 2016
joedera:

"since there is no immunity for impunity as far as electoral malfeasance is concerned, the investigation by the EFCC is in order. The senior lawyers who have questioned the freezing of Mr. Fayose’s account on the ground that the EFCC did not obtain a court order have not read section 28 of the EFCC Act which provides that “where a person is arrested for an offence under this Act, the Commission shall immediately trace and attach all the assets and properties of the person acquired as a result of such economic or financial crime and shall thereafter cause to be obtained an interim attachment order from the Court”. The law permits the EFCC to freeze an account or attach a property of a criminal suspect and proceed thereafter to obtain an ex parte order from the appropriate court."
What exactly did he say outside quoting the law? Since no court order was collected before the freezing why didn't he say anything on the matter? Or we are to conclude that quoting a law is same as being against its manipulation? Tell me.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jun 23, 2016
ikwubaba:

I think you are deliberately refusing to get the explanation and refusing to follow the logic. So first for EFCC to freeze an account, it first investigate it by calling for information of such account from the bank. The owner of the account is alerted immediately. And zap!!! he withdraws everything. If there was need to trap the money which may be a proceed of crime, that is defeated. Similar to arresting you. The police does that and get court to remand you. Police does not see a criminal and first approach the court before arresting abi? They approach the court to keep you in remand after arresting you. Na same thing...trap the cash first and get court order to continue to keep it.

If you like continue to stubbornly refuse to understand.
But what does the law say about freezing? Simples. A court order must be gotten for any account under investigation to be frozen. Was it gotten in this case? No. So what nonsense are you explaining?
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by ikwubaba: 3:31pm On Jun 23, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. First I have to say, garnishing our words with molecules of insult doesn't add value or substance to them or us. This spice spoils the entire meal.

What premise are you talking about? That, in your words 'he has no immunity once he committed the offense'? Offense? Lol. How can something that is yet to proved to be an offense an offense?

'Fayose said "Zenith bank funded his campaign," which I will assume goes to form the bulk of funds frozen; meaning he had no immunity when
from its consequences'

How am I the one now begging the question? Why should even answer my own question of which came first when you already posited:

'no immunity when he committed the offence and can't be immune from its consequences'. A statement he made after the frozen and a statement EFCC didn't even use as blueprint?

So tell me now, how can somebody be punished for committing an offense when the punishment is to show that he committed an offense? How do you think around this and your words now?

Immunity or no immunity for a case is not judgment. What you are accused of is what determines whether you can invoke immunity or not. In this case, Fayose is being accused of electoral crime i.e. the money in question was used to perpetrate a crime for electoral purpose. Since the crime bothers on whether he is legally entitled to being a governor or not, he cannot invoke immunity on that account. It helps to stem people doing everything to assume a position and claim immunity.

Just for emphasis, if a governor or president is being accused for perpetrating a crime for an election for which he is currently a beneficiary, the case can be entertained since it may invalidate his current position.

As for account freezing, the argument is that it is part of investigation for which immunity does not apply. Reason is because, it will defeat the very purpose of the investigation itself.

For our information, the law is an ass. Don't ever depend on it to protect for your evil doings and impunity. There are a lot of openings to catch you. The framers of any constitution cannot envisage everything. there are usually more holes than you can imagine.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 23, 2016
ikwubaba:

Immunity or no immunity for a case is not judgment. What you are accused of is what determines whether you can invoke immunity or not. In this case, Fayose is being accused of electoral crime i.e. the money in question was used to perpetrate a crime for electoral purpose. Since the crime bothers on whether he is legally entitled to being a governor or not, he cannot invoke immunity on that account. It helps to stem people doing everything to assume a position and claim immunity.

Just for emphasis, if a governor or president is being accused for perpetrating a crime for an election for which he is currently a beneficiary, the case can be entertained since it may invalidate his current position.

As for account freezing, the argument is that it is part of investigation for which immunity does not apply. Reason is because, it will defeat the very purpose of the investigation itself.

For our information, the law is an ass. Don't ever depend on it to protect for your evil doings and impunity. There are a lot of openings to catch you. The framers of any constitution cannot envisage everything. there are usually more holes than you can imagine.
The law is an Ass? Wow! Should we ditch the law then?
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by ikwubaba: 3:50pm On Jun 23, 2016
Reyginus:
The law is an Ass? Wow! Should we ditch the law then?

It means the law, as created by legislators or as administered by the justice system, cannot be relied upon to be sensible or fair on it's own.

It depends on what you want to make of it. Reason why landmark supreme court judgments and interpretations are used to augment.

Until today, I did not know that an EFCC art provides for certain level of investigation and actions on executives despite immunity. I'm sure even Fayose's legal advisers were oblivious of this too.

But we should celebrate that the law provides for this. Else we produce a monster one day.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 23, 2016
ikwubaba:

It means the law, as created by legislators or as administered by the justice system, cannot be relied upon to be sensible or fair on it's own.

It depends on what you want to make of it. Reason why landmark supreme court judgments and interpretations are used to augment.

Until today, I did not know that an EFCC art provides for certain level of investigation and actions on executives despite immunity. I'm sure even Fayose's legal advisers were oblivious of this too.

But we should celebrate that the law provides for this. Else we produce a monster one day.
We should celebrate that the law provides a condition for freezing of accounts and we should also celebrate the fact this condition of the law was not respected? What is a law then?
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:55pm On Jun 23, 2016
eph12:
I didn't have to read everything to pick out some key points:
1. A governor can be investigated.
2. For him/her to be prosecuted his/her election has to be annulled(by the relevant authorities). Only after this can the prosecution hold.
Falana here is basing his argument on the possibility of the annulment of that election that brought Fayose to power as a result of the overwhelming evidences of electoral malpractice.

Your point is wrong. If a Sitting Governor like Wike can be dragged to the Tribunal and court due to determining if he legitimately got Won the election.

Fayose can be dragged to court hence this money was used to manipulate elections.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Tonbee: 3:56pm On Jun 23, 2016
Much of what Falana has put forward pertains to offences be it criminal or electoral during an election as being instituted in an election petition case of the elected governor. In the case of Fayose, there is not case before the courts as pertaining to his election. as such he enjoys the full protection of constitution. He can be investigated, but cannot be prosecuted as a seating governor.

However, it this goes ahead, let us be sure of the end of immunity for the governors cause it will be a ground for there prosecution. it is a bad precedence, a manipulation of the laws of our land and bad for our growing democracy.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by eph12(m): 4:48pm On Jun 23, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Your point is wrong. If a Sitting Governor like Wike can be dragged to the Tribunal and court due to determining if he legitimately got Won the election.

Fayose can be dragged to court hence this money was used to manipulate elections.
No you're wrong. Unless it's election related you can't prosecute.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Bodmas94(m): 4:59pm On Jun 23, 2016
Reyginus:
I'd also have to advice you. This is very important. In articles where the newspaper or media outlet reports news, direct speeches, that is, statements expressed by a person is written in quotes and statements carrying the insinuations and inference drawn by the outfit is not in quotes.

The defense you presented above is not Falana's words but the inference drawn by the media outfit carrying the news. We've got brains for a purpose not exclusive to aesthetic value. You see, Bodmas, stating the above as statements made by Falana is not just only unintelligent but also mischievous. I take it back because I know you know this thing. But why? Okay. Show me Falana's Exact quote of condemnation and not his quotation of the law.
Thanks for the unsavoury comments about my intelligent. It is no surprise. They only make us a better 'bubu'. But as regards the other aspect of your comment, you seem or appear, either unwittingly or mischievously, to deny the fact that the article was written in its entirety by Falana. From the context of the article, it is painfully clear that that article was Falana's. It is an address to the Nigerian public which was circulated by the media. You seem also not to be aware that Femi Falana is a regular columnist on several media outlets, Sahar reporters being one. So how could have they added or removed some parts of the article. And as regards the 'condemnation' theory of yours. I don't really get that part. But for the record, all the legal phenomenon did was just to make Nigerians (I mean the laymen amongst us) know the true position and to bring people who might have been misled by people who are preoccupied with blatantly distorting facts and giving traction and credibilty to outright and brazen falsehood. BE WISE! LOVE A LAWYER! God bless!
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Bodmas94(m): 5:00pm On Jun 23, 2016
Reyginus:

Thanks for the unsavoury comments about my intelligent. It is no surprise. They only make us a better 'bubu'. But as regards the other aspect of your comment, you seem or appear, either unwittingly or mischievously, to deny the fact that the article was written in its entirety by Falana. From the context of the article, it is painfully clear that that article was Falana's. It is an address to the Nigerian public which was circulated by the media. You seem also not to be aware that Femi Falana is a regular columnist on several media outlets, Sahar reporters being one. So how could have they added or removed some parts of the article. And as regards the 'condemnation' theory of yours. I don't really get that part. But for the record, all the legal phenomenon did was just to make Nigerians (I mean the laymen amongst us) know the true position and to bring people who might have been misled by people who are preoccupied with blatantly distorting facts and giving traction and credibilty to outright and brazen falsehood. BE WISE! LOVE A LAWYER! IT IS LEGAL! God bless!
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Bodmas94(m): 5:04pm On Jun 23, 2016
joedera:

I have been trying to him that all this while, but he seems pretty determined not to see the light of this matter.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by menxer: 6:03pm On Jun 23, 2016
Reyginus:

from its consequences'

Hhhhhhmmmm
The "insult" was inadvertent.

I guess if no "offense" was committed EFCC wouldn't be investigating Fayose, prompting an ex parte order which culminated in the frozen account which is evidence of the alleged offense committed, till proven otherwise in the course of the investigations.

Thanks for the mental exercise. grin
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jun 23, 2016
Bodmas94:
Thanks for the unsavoury comments about my intelligent. It is no surprise. They only make us a better 'bubu'. But as regards the other aspect of your comment, you seem or appear, either unwittingly or mischievously, to deny the fact that the article was written in its entirety by Falana. From the context of the article, it is painfully clear that that article was Falana's. It is an address to the Nigerian public which was circulated by the media. You seem also not to be aware that Femi Falana is a regular columnist on several media outlets, Sahar reporters being one. So how could have they added or removed some parts of the article. And as regards the 'condemnation' theory of yours. I don't really get that part. But for the record, all the legal phenomenon did was just to make Nigerians (I mean the laymen amongst us) know the true position and to bring people who might have been misled by people who are preoccupied with blatantly distorting facts and giving traction and credibilty to outright and brazen falsehood. BE WISE! LOVE A LAWYER! God bless!
Lolololol. Written by Falana? Please show me how?
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 23, 2016
menxer:

Hhhhhhmmmm
The "insult" was inadvertent.

I guess if no "offense" was committed EFCC wouldn't be investigating Fayose, prompting an ex parte order which culminated in the frozen account which is evidence of the alleged offense committed, till proven otherwise in the course of the investigations.

Thanks for the mental exercise. grin
Better than defending a breach of law. Good for you.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by udoh2k: 7:31pm On Jun 23, 2016
Reyginus:
Just a little correction, bro. The EFCC froze the Account of Adamawa State Government and not Nyako's. The two are entirely different. Nyako's account was not touched. It's good we don't misinform people.

You see, in this fight against corruption, if our method fall short of due process it becomes corrupting. The EFCC should have gotten a court order permitting the act. Any contrary act, like we have now, is both corrupt and corrupting.

A governor can be investigated, that's true. Where Falana fails is to tell us if it's right to freeze the account of a sitting governor without recourse of a court of law. We shouldn't corrupt the system in the name of fighting corruption. Let's follow due process.

Falana quoted that: “That a person protected under section 308 of the 1999 Constitution, going by its provisions, can be investigated by the POLICE for an alleged crime or offence".

I am wondering if efcc and police are same thing in the law.

He also quoted that: “where a person is ARRESTED for an offence under this Act, the Commission shall immediately trace and attach all the assets and properties of the person acquired as a result of such economic or financial crime and shall thereafter cause to be obtained an interim attachment order from the Court”.

I also wonder if fayose is arrested.

I perceive falana is trying to twist the law to support is line of argument.

We know falana is speaking from the position of d FG as prosecuting counsel not as a defence council. that is law for u.
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 23, 2016
udoh2k:

Falana quoted that: “That a person protected under section 308 of the 1999 Constitution, going by its provisions, can be investigated by the POLICE for an alleged crime or offence".

I am wondering if efcc and police are same thing in the law.

We know falana is speaking from the position of d FG as prosecuting counsel not as a defence council. that is law for u.
Your Point?
Re: EFCC Can Investigate And Prosecute Fayose now: Falana by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:59pm On Jun 23, 2016
eph12:

No you're wrong. Unless it's election related you can't prosecute.

How is this not election related when Fayose and his cohorts illegally siphoned Government funds to sponsor their election.

He can be prosecuted using the fact he use stolen money to give himself an unfair advantage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"Elephant Swallowed My Housing Refund?"; Retired Police Officer Cries Out.Photos / The Only Candidate That Can Save PDP From Defeat Is Dr Bukola Saraki / Jonathan Denies Sacking Reno Omokri, Debunks Sowore’s Claim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.