Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,548 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Python Tutorial - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python Tutorial (9338 Views)

My First Python Tutorial Has Been Released. / Please Am Stuck Here. (python Tutorial) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Python Tutorial by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 14, 2016
TrueHeart365:

thanks for your response.

my main interest are in web development, software and app development.

so you're saying if i learn django there's no need for php and css?

aside from python being good for beginners. would you recommend it for anyone who wants to go pro in programming?
Web development is a large field. Go through this thread.

CSS is for design. It describes how the website looks. It's like Saclux paint for websites grin. Django is for backend applications, same as php.

Programming is a skillset, not a language. Each language has its own strengths and weaknesses. Some are better when you design apps that will do lots of processing on huge data set. Learn how to break problems down and then create a solution.

For example, I can design a basic calculator app with JS, Java or Python. If it's a web app, I'll probably pick JS. I might use Java or Python if I choose to design for desktop.
Re: Python Tutorial by TrueHeart365(m): 9:33am On Jul 14, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Web development is a large field. Go through this thread.

CSS is for design. It describes how the website looks. It's like Saclux paint for websites grin. Django is for backend applications, same as php.

Programming is a skillset, not a language. Each language has its own strengths and weaknesses. Some are better when you design apps that will do lots of processing on huge data set. Learn how to break problems down and then create a solution.

For example, I can design a basic calculator app with JS, Java or Python. If it's a web app, I'll probably pick JS. I might use Java or Python if I choose to design for desktop.

ok. i get it now.

the thing is to try to be diverse. thanks

1 Like

Re: Python Tutorial by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 15, 2016
LESSON 8
In this lesson, we'll be looking at functions. Functions provide functionality to your code. A function  'does' something.

Python provides a few functions for us that we can easily use. In this lesson, we'll talk about the print and input functions.

Type the following code, first in Shell Mode, then in File Editor mode.

rank = "Officer"
name = "Titus"
rank + ' ' + name

In Shell Mode, "Officer Titus" is displayed after the 3rd Line is executed. File Editor/Script Mode will not display any information.

This is an important difference between Shell Mode and Script Mode. In Shell Mode, the expressions are evaluated and the result is displayed immediately. Each line is run as a single statement. Thus, it's preferable to use the Shell Mode to test small pieces of code.

When you run code in the File Editor Mode, think of it as providing a list of instructions to the computer.  Each line is evaluated but the result is not displayed on the Python shell/console.

To display a value in Script Mode, Python provides a print function . To use a function, all you need to do is remember two things.
-     First, call the function by name. You call a function by putting parenthesis after the name of the function. For example, to call the print function, type print, followed by parenthesis ().

print()

-   Secondly, a function might require some values to perform its operation. Provide these values by putting them within the parenthesis. These values you provide are called arguments.
The print function will print a value put within its parenthesis. If you do not supply a value, print will output a blank line.

You can put a numeric value and have it printed on screen

print(2)
print(3 + 5 )
print ( 2 * 8 )
print (2 ** 3 )

You can also put a string in the parenthesis.
 print( "Hello Dear" )
print ( "I" + "am" + "a string" )

You can use variables too.
num = 1
myString = "Hey"
print(num)
print(myString)

3 Likes

Re: Python Tutorial by omokoladele(m): 12:30pm On Jul 19, 2016
Ride on boss. i love the explanations
God bless you
Re: Python Tutorial by Samzack(m): 2:31pm On Jul 19, 2016
Thanks @sonOfLucifer (noticed the camel hump at your username)...Please I just came across your thread after previously searching the internet for breakdown tutorials for newbies like me, but all of them just keeps giving me results for people with experience.
But thank goodness I stumbled on this thread because i am beginning to understand everything now,just keep up the good work OP.
please I want to know what languages I have to learn to become a good application programmer. I promised myself that before this year end i would learn application programmer. Thanks and cheers
Re: Python Tutorial by stchrischu00: 8:57pm On Jul 19, 2016
I need someone to tutor me on web developement,java,python ,c+ e.t.c .if you stay around festac environment
Re: Python Tutorial by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 19, 2016
stchrischu00:
I need someone to tutor me on web developement,java,python ,c+ e.t.c .if you stay around festac environment
Sorry, I'm PH/Owerri-based. You can learn Python on this thread though and send money to my account if you enjoy it. grin
Re: Python Tutorial by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 19, 2016
Samzack:
Thanks @sonOfLucifer (noticed the camel hump at your username)...Please I just came across your thread after previously searching the internet for breakdown tutorials for newbies like me, but all of them just keeps giving me results for people with experience.
But thank goodness I stumbled on this thread because i am beginning to understand everything now,just keep up the good work OP.
please I want to know what languages I have to learn to become a good application programmer. I promised myself that before this year end i would learn application programmer. Thanks and cheers
Thanks. Glad you found the tutorial useful.

You can design applications with different languages, C, C++/Java and Python included. It really doesn't matter though each programming language has its own strengths.
Re: Python Tutorial by Samzack(m): 10:03pm On Jul 19, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Thanks. Glad you found the tutorial useful.

You can design applications with different languages, C, C++/Java and Python included. It really doesn't matter though each programming language has its own strengths.

Ok so if I learn python how usefull would it be in creating a web application. because I think this language is the easiest so far for me
Re: Python Tutorial by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 19, 2016
Samzack:

Ok so if I learn python how usefull would it be in creating a web application. because I think this language is the easiest so far for me
You could check out Django after you learn Python. Django is a framework based on Python that is used to design web applications. I haven't tried it myself though.
Re: Python Tutorial by fxzy212: 8:07am On Jul 20, 2016
Samzack:

@sonOfLucifer You will also need to learn Django which is developed in python for designing Web application
Re: Python Tutorial by Samzack(m): 12:37am On Jul 27, 2016
[size=32] Thanks [/size] op but i'll stick to these your tutorial then i'll look up django myself

1 Like

Re: Python Tutorial by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 29, 2016
Re: Python Tutorial by Nascimento(m): 1:00am On Nov 05, 2016
I will not say "python is easy to learn". I'd rather say "The syntax of python are easy to learn". A dummy can get a hang of it in few days. But the issue is, how long will it take you to be fluent in using it to solve problems.

1 Like

Re: Python Tutorial by sonofluc1fer: 11:49pm On Jul 25, 2017
Nascimento:
I will not say "python is easy to learn". I'd rather say "The syntax of python are easy to learn". A dummy can get a hang of it in few days. But the issue is, how long will it take you to be fluent in using it to solve problems.
That can be said about most programming languages.
Solving the problem is the tough part. The language is secondary.
Re: Python Tutorial by 4kings: 11:49am On Jul 26, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

That can be said about most programming languages.
Solving the problem is the tough part. The language is secondary.
Do you intend on completing this tutorial?
Re: Python Tutorial by sonofluc1fer: 7:28am On Jul 27, 2017
4kings:

Do you intend on completing this tutorial?
If there is enough interest.
Re: Python Tutorial by 4kings: 9:57am On Jul 27, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

How would you ascertain that without starting?
If you complete the fundamentals, atleast this would be a thread for relevant future references.
Re: Python Tutorial by seunny4lif(m): 6:29pm On Jul 27, 2017
Who will continue this tutorial on Python?
Re: Python Tutorial by Nobody: 6:05am On Aug 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

what's up now?
we dey wait oo
Re: Python Tutorial by olamil34(m): 6:11am On Aug 21, 2017

You could check out Django after you learn Python. Django is a framework based on Python that is used to design web applications. I haven't tried it myself though.
i have used , it is painful to learn but simple to use, check out my pricecheck clone written in django http://pricenpick.com
Re: Python Tutorial by classicdude1(m): 8:37am On Aug 21, 2017
I prepared some Python tutorials at www.coolpythoncodes.com

Great work you doing here.
Re: Python Tutorial by Avast(m): 8:53pm On Dec 19, 2018
anyone still here?
I am new to Python, have migrated to using NUMPY and PANDAS on Jupyter because I want to go into Data science. I am looking for where to apply my knowledge or to lay my hands on real life data to practice
Re: Python Tutorial by HappyPagan: 4:35pm On May 17, 2020
I'll be hosting a class on Programming with Python on Telegram.
Anyone who's free can join the class. Class is free and already in session.

Ensure you are ready to engage and participate. The group does not accommodate lurkers. You can be kicked out at anytime.

Link: bitDOTly/2Lr4q13 (change dot to fullstop)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Take Your Web Development Skill/Career To The Next Level By Creating A Web App / How To Generate Unique 10/11 Digits Nuban / BVN With PHP / I Have A Problem With Raise Event In C#

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.