Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,221 members, 7,860,407 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:35 AM

Power Minister Statement On Power Supply - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Minister Statement On Power Supply (675 Views)

Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo / Power Minister To TCN: Perform Or Bow Out / Evil Spirit Behind Nigeria’s Darkness, Power Minister Tells SA Investors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by AloyEmeka6: 2:07am On Sep 03, 2009
Power Minister promises 24-hr supply by December
From Patrick Ugeh in Abuja, 09.02.2009
Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Should the Federal Government attain its goal of producing 6,000 mega watts of electricity by the end of this year, it means contrary to previous assumptions that that amount of power will only satisfy a percentage of the country’s requirements, Nigerians will enjoy 24 hours service.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/sep/2/223.html

According to a new statistic released yesterday by Minister of Power, Dr. Rilwan Lanre Babalola, the nation's total demand is currently 5,100 mega watts, instead of about 15,000mw long held as the current requirement. He however, put the current available capacity at “just over 4,000mw."

Minister of State for Power, Nuhu Wya, had earlier this year, announced 5,000mw as the available capacity.

Babalola, who spoke at the roll-out workshop of the National Power Training Institute of Nigeria (NAPTIN), in Abuja, said: “currently, we have available capacity of just over 4000mw, 60 per cent of our total installed capacity. Based on every single concluded study, our current demand is in the range of 5,100mw, although some contest it. I am yet to see the quantitative analysis to show that our demand is 15,000mw.”

He said the inability to maximise the nation’s assets was due to the way they were managed among other reaseons.

He said, "in our aspiration to be one of the top 20 economies by 2020, the nation will require a minimum 25,000mw. This will require effective management of our assets and judicious use of our resources.”

To accomplish this, the role of skilled personnel could not be overemphasised, adding: “the manpower constraint is a major bottleneck to achieving realisable power supply in terms of technical and commercial aspects of operations.

“An important element of the endeavour is to collectively work to change our mindset. A well trained and productive workforce is the only way to address the power sector challenges in our country," he said, and urged NAPTIN to go beyond training engineers, and work towards training managers as well.
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by netotse(m): 2:11am On Sep 03, 2009
they can attain the 6000 but maintaining it nko? and our demand is most likely more than 6000.

also the man did not equivocally say that we wld have 24hrs electricity
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by PapaBrowne(m): 2:34am On Sep 03, 2009
netotse:

they can attain the 6000 but maintaining it nko? and our demand is most likely more than 6000.

also the man did not equivocally say that we wld have 24hrs electricity
There is no way our demand is just 5100MW.
In layman terms, the equivalent of that is just sixty thousand 100Kva generators,
We surely do need more than that.
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by hollandis(f): 2:45am On Sep 03, 2009
Yaradua and his bunch of incompetent morons angry
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by nex(m): 3:26am On Sep 03, 2009
i used to be among the selected few that got more than 12 hours electricity daily till mid august when the Urhobo Youths blew up a gas pipeline supplying one of the major power stations and it dropped to about 4 hours per day. December, here we come.
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by blackmann(m): 3:33am On Sep 03, 2009
na so dem dey always talk. until i see it happen, i won't believe it.
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by AloyEmeka6: 3:50am On Sep 03, 2009
PapaBrowne:

There is no way our demand is just 5100MW.
In layman terms, the equivalent of that is just sixty thousand 100Kva generators,
We surely do need more than that.
Let the bring the 5100mw first at a constant rate.
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by zmurda(m): 8:56am On Sep 03, 2009
How come I believe him?
grin cheesy
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by 9ijaprince(m): 9:15am On Sep 03, 2009
Thats d joke of the century.
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by faoni572(m): 11:05am On Sep 03, 2009
Power: Minister Refutes 24-hr Supply Report

Minister of Power, Lanre Babalola, yesterday refuted report quoting him  to have promised that the nation will have 24-hour power supply by December.
A release signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mrs. Olubunmi  Badejo,    stated that what the minister said was that  a  study showed that the country’s current demand was in the range of 5,100megawatts.
Badejo noted that, "the crux of the matter is that with current demand estimated at 5,100mw, (i.e. those already connected to the grid), according to a recently concluded national demand study, and projected supply of 6, 000mw, the Ministry is confident that power supply will increase substantially.”
The statement said further: "The Minister, knowing these facts and figures, could not and would not make such statements, given the fact that  only about 50 per cent of Nigerians have access to electricity, coupled with this, is the fact that there is so much suppressed demand in the system.
"The erroneous statement credited to the  Minister is most unfortunate and regrettable, as it belittles our collective efforts and raises false hopes and expectations. 
“The Ministry will like to assure Nigerians that with Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) working assiduously hard to rehabilitate plants, and improve operations, the commitment by  relevant bodies to ensure adequate gas supply and the unflinching commitment of the Federal Government, we are optimistic that power supply will substantially improve.," she noted.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=153492
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by Jakumo(m): 11:35am On Sep 03, 2009
There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with a combination of strategic prayer, fasting, speaking in tongues and of course, Juju sacrificial rites utilizing carefully selected house-pets.

So, without further ado let us pray, fast, speak in tongues and sacrifice Fido to the God of Iron, who will then ensure that electrical power matrializes on schedule, even in the complete absence of any infrastructural refurbishment, and despite all funds allocated for the task being comprehensively looted by God-fearing politicians.  Praise the Lord !
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by MrCrackles(m): 11:41am On Sep 03, 2009
24hr power supply by december shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by Wilfem(m): 12:01pm On Sep 03, 2009
It's a pure misconception by the media and the Power Minister himself had refuted the media reports.
Uninterrupted power supply in Nigeria is far more deeper than anyone would think. I'm not saying that we cant achieve it, but there's a whole lot more to it than what many people think it is. It is something that'll take us a longer time
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by chamotex(m): 12:03pm On Sep 03, 2009
Lies
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by muhsin(m): 12:11pm On Sep 03, 2009
LOL grin

Naija and propaganda.
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by salinco(m): 12:22pm On Sep 03, 2009
nex:

i used to be among the selected few that got more than 12 hours electricity daily till mid august when the Urhobo Youths blew up a gas pipeline supplying one of the major power stations and it dropped to about 4 hours per day. December, here we come.

my guy, u dey enjoy ooooo.
for my side in Lagos i enjoy 4hrs light for GOOD 1 MONTH

Is that not wonderful! grin grin grin
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by spikedcylinder: 12:39pm On Sep 03, 2009
If he said:

According to a new statistic released yesterday by Minister of Power, Dr. Rilwan Lanre Babalola, the nation's total demand is currently 5,100 mega watts, instead of about 15,000mw long held as the current requirement. He however, put the current available capacity at “just over 4,000mw."

Then how comes:

He said, "in our aspiration to be one of the top 20 economies by 2020, the nation will require a minimum 25,000mw. This will require effective management of our assets and judicious use of our resources.”
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by Ibime(m): 12:48pm On Sep 03, 2009
spikedcylinder:

If he said:

Then how comes:

I guess for industrialisation.

@ Post,

Ill believe it when I see it. December is not far away.
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by spikedcylinder: 12:55pm On Sep 03, 2009
So in calculating the average requirements of power supply in Nigeria, he originally excluded the needs of the industries?
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by Sauron1: 12:56pm On Sep 03, 2009
Jakumo:

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with a combination of strategic prayer, fasting, speaking in tongues and of course, Juju sacrificial rites utilizing carefully selected house-pets.

That was that obnoxious pig called Obasanjo said when he was asked what could be done to the epileptic power supply in Nigeria.
Nigeria is cursed.

So, without further ado let us pray, fast, speak in tongues and sacrifice Fido to the God of Iron, who will then ensure that electrical power matrializes on schedule, even in the complete absence of any infrastructural refurbishment, and despite all funds allocated for the task being comprehensively looted by God-fearing politicians.  Praise the Lord !

I cannot count the number of times we have been promised 24-hr supply by these lunatics in agbada.
They are all lies. . . . . . .One must be a complete dork to believe it.
The same Nigeria where major suppliers of generator bribe NEPA Officials to blow up transformers so that their generators can sell?
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by nex(m): 1:07pm On Sep 03, 2009
@spikedcylinder

current requirement is different from 2020 requirement.
Re: Power Minister Statement On Power Supply by AloyEmeka6: 2:31pm On Sep 03, 2009
~Sauron~:

I cannot count the number of times we have been promised 24-hr supply by these lunatics in agbada.

They are all lies. . . . . . .One must be a complete dork to believe it.
The same Nigeria where major suppliers of generator bribe NEPA Officials to blow up transformers so that their generators can sell?
That was before but its true this time around.

(1) (Reply)

Online Condolence Register For Late Chief Gani Fawehinmi / Akingbola Involved In £10m Money Laundering, Says Efcc / How Are Bills Passed In The Nass?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.