Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years (22280 Views)

The Golden Eaglets Of Nigeria Thread: U-17 World Cup (India 2017) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! / President Jonathan Congratulates The Golden Eaglets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by dayokanu(m): 1:02am On Sep 05, 2009
That Canada 87 I cry so tay.

In the finals the Russians were more efficient the Nigerians were playing more with the ball, On the balance of play we might say we were lucky it got to penalties
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by candylips(m): 12:10pm On Sep 05, 2009
cry c cry
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by DrKitaun(m): 6:34pm On Sep 05, 2009
@Dayokanu

u think say na only u cry ?

I cry so tay I no fit chop . . .

CAN U IMAGINE THIS TEENAGER CALLED SHARON CLAIMING PHILLIP'S SURNAME IS OSUNDO ? shocked
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by dayokanu(m): 7:03pm On Sep 05, 2009
Kitaun,

For that 1987 na everybody for house dey beg me make i no cry again. the following day on my way to church i still dey cry. I dey cuss the referee like say he kill person
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by candylips(m): 9:37pm On Sep 05, 2009
undecided
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 06, 2009
dayo,
No be only you cry.
I still saw that game last year,and i can't believe how we lost.After the Russians scored,we were all over them.
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Daare: 3:14pm On Apr 06, 2011
Canada 87 Squad was the best, I will never forget Baba Jibrin and Taiwo Enegwea, Philip Osondu and not Osundo was the Most Valuable Player of the Tournament,
I will not forget Andrea Bianchi , In all the Russsians where just beyond other teams, It was a tough final, I can remember Dimeji Lawal and Christopher Nwosu making good runs through the flanks creating chances that were wasted all the the game before the penalties, Lemmy Isa proved himself, but the Russians carried the day
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Bash92(m): 7:35pm On Apr 12, 2013
@all Watch out 4 dis 2013 eaglet. They ar going places,played 27 matches, won 26,drew 1, scoring 121 goals conceding 15.

1 Like

Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by megastu(m): 1:25pm On Apr 14, 2013
Please how can i get to see these games?
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by deor03(m): 3:34pm On Apr 14, 2013
megastu: Please how can i get to see these games?

Me too, I need to see these games again.

Lemmy Isa was very good, as i remember
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by luvinhubby(m): 12:03pm On Aug 11, 2015
good
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Icon4s(m): 3:47pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hmmmm, this memorable thread has found itself back.
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Widall: 3:33pm On Oct 21, 2015
UAE 2013
Goalkeepers
1 Dele ALAMPASU
16 Abdulazeez ABUBAKAR
21 Francis UZOHO
Defenders
2 Musa MUHAMMED
3 Samuel OKON
5 Denis NYA
6 Aliyu ABUBAKAR
14 Chidiebere NWAKALI
15 Raymond JAPHET
19 Zaharaddeen BELLO
Midfielders
4 Akinjide IDOWU
7 Habib MAKANJUOLA
8 Abdullahi ALFA
11 Musa YAHAYA
12 Chigozi OBASI
13 Saviour GODWIN
20 Baba SALIHU
Forwards
9 Success ISAAC
10 Kelechi IHEANACHO
17 Chidera EZEH
18 Taiwo AWONIYI
Coach
GARBA Manu
My favourite team
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by icon4ss: 4:14pm On Oct 21, 2015
Safarigirl, TheSuperNerd, TheGoodJoe, Joseph1013, Bascovanveli and other comrades u may want to view this thread from d past.U may find it interesting.
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by icon4ss: 4:25pm On Oct 21, 2015
dayokanu:
That Canada 87 I cry so tay.

In the finals the Russians were more efficient the Nigerians were playing more with the ball, On the balance of play we might say we were lucky it got to penalties

I will never forget that game. Nigeria was the better side. Demija Lawal, Christ Nwosu and Philip Osondu were all over the Russian defence. The Russians were more tactical while d Nigerian boys were having an exhibition game. I saw d best of Dimeja Lawal dat dey.

I will never forget d penalty shoot out where I think only only Dimeji Scored his penalty through a trickery move.

My elder brother and I were un-consolable. We wept that night that our eurs were still red on sunday morning which was next. The Canada 87 boys are only next to 1993 & 2013 set. Those boys were good.

Thank God we avenged that lose 2 yrs later at Damam in Saudi Arabia in 1989 (miracle of Damam)

Those were d golden days of our youth football.Nigeria ruled d world at youth levels in the mid to late 80s. But I think we are back dominating again (U17s only) for the past 8yrs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:55pm On Oct 21, 2015
I think we judge team by the number of top flight superstars they produced. So far I think the best team was the 1993 U17 side. With Kanu Nwankwo who was rated among the top 10 players in the World, Oruma who was part of a strong Marceille squad, Celestine Babayaro who was a key man for Chelsea, Pascal Karibe Ojigwe who played for Bayer Leverkusen when they boasted of the likes of Ze Roberto, Lucio, Ballack, Kristen, Basturk, Neuville etc.

I think that set was the best. Their 4-0 demolition of Argentina in that tournament in 1993 is unforgettable.
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Icon4s(m): 6:31am On Oct 22, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
I think we judge team by the number of top flight superstars they produced. So far I think the best team was the 1993 U17 side. With Kanu Nwankwo who was rated among the top 10 players in the World, Oruma who was part of a strong Marceille squad, Celestine Babayaro who was a key man for Chelsea, Pascal Karibe Ojigwe who played for Bayer Leverkusen when they boasted of the likes of Ze Roberto, Lucio, Ballack, Kristen, Basturk, Neuville etc.

I think that set was the best. Their 4-0 demolition of Argentina in that tournament in 1993 is unforgettable.

1993 was unarguably the best crop.
I also particularly like the 1989 boys. Though dey lost to eventual winners-Saudi Arabia in d QF.Up till d 1993 set emerged most peeps believed they were our best crop. That set produced players like: Victor Ikpeba, Benedict Akuegbu and Godwin Okpara all of whom featured prominently for d Super Eagles in the 1990s up to 2000. Some of d boys like Kayode Keshinro, Bobo Idom, John Zaki, Jide Oguntunwase did so well at dat U17 bt nothing was heard of them later except John Zaki dat featured prominently for ASEC Abidjan in d early 90s bt could nt break into d stars studded Super Eagles team.

Anyways, it is a common trend all over the world. Even the bests of U17 teams dnt produce more than 3-5 players dat will break into d senior team.
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:16am On Oct 22, 2015
I knew John Zaki of Asec Mimosa. Fantastic player. He plays a lot like Daniel Amokachi. Thanks for the lesson. That must have been a very good squad.

Icon4s:

1993 was unarguably the best crop.
I also particularly like the 1989 boys. Though dey lost to eventual winners-Saudi Arabia in d QF.Up till d 1993 set emerged most peeps believed they were our best crop. That set produced players like: Victor Ikpeba, Benedict Akuegbu and Godwin Okpara all of whom featured prominently for d Super Eagles in the 1990s up to 2000. Some of d boys like Kayode Keshinro, Bobo Idom, John Zaki, Jide Oguntunwase did so well at dat U17 bt nothing was heard of them later except John Zaki dat featured prominently for ASEC Abidjan in d early 90s bt could nt break into d stars studded Super Eagles team.

Anyways, it is a common trend all over the world. Even the bests of U17 teams dnt produce more than 3-5 players dat will break into d senior team.

1 Like

Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Hausa(m): 8:54am On Nov 22, 2020
I enjoyed and really appreciated reading every bit of comment here.

There were players indeed. And I'm glad people still remember them for something good.
Nigeria has real talented footballers. We have a long way to go.
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 22, 2020
Sauron1:

Dr. Kit. . . . . .His name is Phillip Osundo.

Exactly ma sentiment. . . . . .Phillip Osundo and Peter Ogaba were teenagers in 1987.
.His name is actually Philip Osondu (except if he used the wrong name in the tournament).
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 22, 2020
vikiviko:
The Scotland 1989 Squad of Victor Ikpeba, Kayode Keshinro, Segun Fetuga, Godwin Okpara etc is reputed to be the best set of Eaglets though they didn't win the championship.

Only Ikpeba and Okpara played at the highest level.

Do you guys remember John Zaki ? what a great Player he was then, go watch Mauritius 1993 you'll appreciate John Zaki, Precious Monye, Jide Oguntuase and even JJ oKocha was part of that illustrious team.

Lest i forget Patrick Mancha he did wonderfully well with the BCC Lions of Gboko side that won the Cup of Winners in the 90s.

Where is Victor Brown and Femi Opabunmi of Trinidad 2001 ?

That Mauritius 93 team flopped big time. Didn't even qualify from the group stages iirc. Though the team had very good players. The real deal was James Peter's team in Cairo 91 All African games (including Amunike and Tijani Babangida). They lost to Cameroun 0-1 in the semis in one of the unluckiest games I've ever seen a team lose. They besieged the Cameroun goal area and lost chance after chance. That team was something else.
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 22, 2020
dayokanu:
Osondu teenager?

I still remember the 1987 final with Lemmy Isah in goal Dimeji Lawal was called Dimeji Mohammed.

The wing play of Dimeji Lawal and Tony Emodofu can spill defences like hot knife on butter. Bawa Abdulahi, captain I didnt know Segun Fetuga was in the 1987 squad. I also used to think Baba Jibrin a substitute in the finals was a son to Jubril Aminu mister of Education cool cool cool cool

The 1987 finals was the last time I cried because of a football game because I felt we were robbed.

I remeber Lemmy Isahs goal kicks were not going beyond the center line, Our defenders actually cleared a Russian (CCCP) ball off the line, A Nigerian player dribbled his way into the Russian 18yard box when the ref blew offside,

The match went to penalties and we lost. I cried so tay cool cool cool cool

Was the only time my mom joined us in watching football, even showing serious interest.
It was Dimeji Lawal that dribbled into the USSR box. The ref didn't blow for offside. He called play back to give Nigeria a free kick instead of playing advantage.
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 22, 2020
Sauron1:
The golden Eaglets didn't really play well in the Canada 87 final against the Russians.
Although, they shoulda won it but they bottled the shoot-out.
I think the best under 17 match i saw then was Nigeria Vs Italy when a certain Cappellini made Nigerian players look like amateurs.
He was immense and Lemmy Isa took everything the tall Italian threw at him.

Mario Cappellini even scored twice but was disallowed. He was a terror all through the match. Lemmy Isa made two glorious saves in that match, smiling after each save. And Nigeria played well in the final against USSR. The team was just unlucky (even hitting the post with the Russian keeper glued to one spot).
Re: Remembering The Golden Eaglets Of Yester Years by robosky02(m): 4:07pm On Nov 22, 2020
2015 Nigeria u17 team

1 GK Akpan David Udoh 18 July 1999 (aged 16) Nigeria Remo Academy

2 DF Lazarus John 6 June 1998 (aged 17) Nigeria Fosla Academy

3 DF Tobechukwu Ibe. 17 June 1998 (aged 17) Nigeria Siaone Academy

4 MF David Enogela 4 February 1998 (aged 17) Nigeria Young Stars FC

5 DF Lukman Zakari 23 December 1998 (aged 16) Nigeria Unity Academy

6 MF Kingsley Michael 26 August 1999 (aged 16) Nigeria Abuja

7 FW Funsho Bamgboye 9 January 1999 (aged 16) Qatar Aspire Academy

8 MF Samuel Chukwueze 22 May 1999 (aged 16) Nigeria Diamond Academy

9 FW Victor Osimhen. 29 December 1998 (aged 16) Nigeria Ultimate Strikers FC

10 MF Kelechi Nwakali 5 June 1998 (aged 17) Nigeria Diamond Academy

11 MF Chinedu Madueke 5 August 1998 (aged 17) Nigeria Virgin Kids FC

12 MF Chukwudi Agor 26 November 1998 (aged 16) Nigeria ASJ Academy

13 MF Joel Osikel 17 June 1998 (aged 17) Nigeria Young Eleven FC

14 DF Ejike Ikwu 15 February 1999 (aged 16) Nigeria Starplus FC

15 FW Udochukwu Anumudu 9 October 1998 (aged 17) Nigeria Enyi Academy

16 GK Amos Innocent Benjamin 22 December 1998 (aged 16) Nigeria Abuja

17 FW Christian Ebere 4 April 1998 (aged 17) 2 Nigeria ASJ Academy

18 MF Edidiong Essien 26 November 1999 (aged 15) Nigeria Rapture Academy

19 FW Sunday Alimi 7 October 1999 (aged 16) Nigeria Topworld FC

20 FW Orji Okwonkwo 19 January 1998 (aged 17) Nigeria Abuja

21 GK Chisom Chiaha

Head coach: Nigeria Emmanuel Amunike

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obafemi Martins 36th Birthday: NFF, FIFA Celebrate Ex-Eagles Star / Mikel Obi Says He's Surprised The Referee Refused To Award Them A Penalty / Tobi Amusan Breaks 20-year-old African Games Record

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.