Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,665 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) (2944 Views)

Messi, Ribery & Ronaldo On 23-man Ballon D'or Shortlist / Mourinho Is Unfair To The Current Real Madrid Coach. / For Your Viewing Pleasure- R. V. Nistelrooy Vs T. Henry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by gaby(m): 12:52pm On Nov 29, 2006
Thierry Henry has failed to make the final shortlist for this year's Fifa World Player of the Year award.

Three-time winner Zinedine Zidane, 2005 winner Ronaldinho and European Player of the year Fabio Cannavaro were named as the three remaining candidates.

But Arsenal striker Henry missed out despite being the only player to make it to the finals of both the Champions League and the World Cup last season.

The winner of the prestigious honour will be revealed on 18 December.

The award is voted for by the coach and captain of all 207 national teams, who each pick their top three players of the year.

Italy and Real Madrid defender Cannavaro will be confident of ending the year in style after picking up the Ballon D'Or award this week.

Meanwhile, Barcelona and Brazil forward Ronaldinho is once again a frontrunner after winning it for the last two years.

Zidane, who retired from football following his red card in the World Cup final last summer, could pick up the award for a fourth time, having claimed it in 2003, 2000 and 1998.

In the women's award category, USA's Kristine Lilly, Germany's Renate Lingor and Brazil international Marta have all been shortli
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by kitaun(m): 12:59pm On Nov 29, 2006
Bunch of bastards they are!
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by mukina2: 1:08pm On Nov 29, 2006
gaby now you want anti-henry to crucify him here sad

no need namimg names but they'l turn this thread into something else soon undecided
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by kitaun(m): 1:12pm On Nov 29, 2006
Let them start! Its so obvious that the EPL might never produce a World f/baller of d year
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by gaby(m): 1:15pm On Nov 29, 2006
, lol mukina and kitaun,

I've long lost all confidence in both CAF and Fifa a long time ago, hell buncha idiots they are
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by mukina2: 1:17pm On Nov 29, 2006
kit
i dnt want them to start it might end in blood undecided
some guys are masters in incitin others angry

@Gaby . .i hope mr drogbabetterthanhenry wins caf grin grin he'll weep again they'll give eto kiss
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by kitaun(m): 1:34pm On Nov 29, 2006
@Mukina,

w-h-a-t-e-v-e-r!

In a world cup year that Dinho was that anonymous and u still shortlist him? angry

I would even have chosen Kaka and Pirlo head and shoulder above him! lipsrsealed

They are only displaying their ineptitude by denying Henry his right, posterity would judge right or wrong their actions cry

i believe the youngman is even less concerned about all these shyte,
like we all know "some things aren't bound 2 happen" cool
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by mukina2: 1:38pm On Nov 29, 2006
i wonder what dinho did during the wc . .maybe he scored invinsible 50 goals grin

fifa never plays fair
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by amodu(m): 1:40pm On Nov 29, 2006
Lets keep hoping that a player from the EPL will win the award, it might be Henry.

cool
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by mukina2: 1:44pm On Nov 29, 2006
e don come again grin tongue

get behind me satan
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by kitaun(m): 1:53pm On Nov 29, 2006
@Amodu, for which year? this year?
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by gaby(m): 2:05pm On Nov 29, 2006
mukina, i truly hope they give that of caf to didier or else there will be whinnings and grinnings, but still i tip eto'o for that,

@Kitaun,

Honestly speaking if i were Henry i wouldnt allow any of these shytes bother me one bit cos its all just too obvious that fifa and all those casting their votes fail to even understand the basis for choosing who's the best in any season,
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by gaby(m): 2:11pm On Nov 29, 2006
wenger's comment on Henry losing out on the European footballer of the year, (Balon d'or)

It is being reported that, once again, Thierry Henry has been overlooked as European Player of the Year.

Spanish and Italian press have suggested that the Balon d’Or for 2006 has gone to Italy defender Fabio Cannavaro. The Real Madrid defender has had an excellent 2006 but, according to Arsène Wenger, his protégé’s continual disappointment over major awards is baffling.

“If that's the case then congratulations to Cannavaro,” said the manager on Friday, “but for me there's only one candidate this year and that's Thierry Henry.

"He was the top goalscorer in England, the best player in England and the second-highest goalscorer in Europe behind Luca Toni.

"He played in the Champions League Final and the World Cup Final. He lost one on penalties and he lost the other in the last few minutes with 10 men.

"It's unfortunate and it's not right that he does not have the recognition.

"When you look at what this guy has achieved in his career as a player I can tell you there are some players in the Balon d'Or who have a lot to answer for when you compare them to Thierry Henry.

"For me the only one in contention with him was Samuel Eto'o, who won the Champions League and the Spanish Championship. He is the only one who could fight with Thierry this year.”
Paddypower.com Bet of the Week
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by gaby(m): 2:18pm On Nov 29, 2006
How can a man of this calibre be constantly overlooked, His records speaks volume of him ,

Season 2003 - 04 Competition Apps Gls
League 37 30
Europe 10 5
FA Cup 2+1 3
League Cup 0 0
Com. Shield 1 1
Total 50+1 39

Season 2004 - 05 Competition Apps Gls
League 31+1 25
Europe 8 5
FA Cup 1 0
League Cup 1 0
Com. Shield 1 0
Total 41+1 30

Season 2005 - 06 Competition Apps Gls
League 30+2 27
Europe 10+1 5
FA Cup 0 0
League Cup 1 1
Com. Shield 1 0
Total 42+3 33
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by amodu(m): 2:25pm On Nov 29, 2006
@Amodu, for which year? this year?

Not this year anymore may be next year or the other, just keep hoping.
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by kitaun(m): 2:33pm On Nov 29, 2006
I wonder why others have kept quiet over this! cool

@Amodu

I choose to ignore your obvious ignorance as usual
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by gaby(m): 5:59pm On Nov 29, 2006
@Kitaun,

They are quiet over this because it is obviously shocking to all lovers of this beautiful game called foot-ball even when you are not attaching any sentiments to it,

HENRY AND GUNNER 4 LIFE, YOU ARE JUST TOO PHENOMENAL
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by Jackal(m): 6:08pm On Nov 29, 2006
Henry did not make this list because he didn't deserve to be there.
Lets analyse schitzo here without being biased?
What did Henry win this year to be in that FIFA's list?

Cannavaro inspired Italy to win the World Cup.
Ronaldinho worked his socks off to lead Barca to the 2nd La Liga title and the UEFA champions league.
Zidane's exploits at Germany 2006 eliminated Brazil and Spain and he single-handedly led France to the finals.

Henry played in the 2 finals of the biggest soccer events in the year.
On both occasions, he did not score and he didn't win any title.
Can someone now tell me why Henry should have been short-listed?

The only thing Henry can lay claims unto is the EPL's golden boots.
If we are to use that as a criteria then Luca Toni, Samuel Etoo and Huntelaar should be short-listed as well.
This is not about any discrimination to the EPL.
Had Arsenal won the UEFA title Henry would have been short-listed but they didn't.
U don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that there's no bigger occasion than the world cup so i think Cannavaro or Zidane might beat Ronaldinho to it this term.
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by kitaun(m): 6:20pm On Nov 29, 2006
Absolute Crap!!! sad

Meeeeeeeeeeeen undecided

Am still too disappointed to even conjure words to reply you with but definitely you just had to come up with something to justify the unjustifiable angry
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by justkunmi(m): 6:28pm On Nov 29, 2006
iu really think henry has worked his ass off to at least be shortlisted even if he doesn't win.
he has really done a lot for arsenal.

one thing i know that puts him at a disadvantage is that he does not perform well for country like he does club. zidane, ronladinho and cannavaro all play well for both club and country but henry plays better under wenger.

Another minus to henry is the plain fact that he has not won any major trophy and this is one major thing FIFA considers when shortlisting candidates.

Henry is really unlucky just like okocha is.

maybe if he moves to a bigger club. . . . . . . .
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by marlet01(m): 6:40pm On Nov 29, 2006
Henry was always know as a killer in Arsenal but in home colors was a total wreck,
In the just concluded world cup in Germany, the man was on fire for france and he well should have deserved that prestigous trophy, but he fell for it once again, what a pity, his football days are gradually coming to an end and sometimes i begin to wonder if he will ever win that trophy. sad sad
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by Jackal(m): 6:48pm On Nov 29, 2006
@ Justkunmi,

Thanx for hittin the nail on the head.
Henry hasnt won anything for Arsenal.
The 1st time he featured in UEFA finals was last may and he lost.

Had Henry won UEFA in 2003/04 season when Arsenal went unbeaten for a whole season he might have won World best player then.
Unfortunately, Chelsea knocked em out but Henry later went on to win the Prem.
Later that year, Henry did not perform for his country as France was kicked out of EURO 2004 earlier than what people had expected.

2006 was another year Henry could have won it if he had led Arsenal to clinch the UEFA champions on the heels of his EPL golden boot.
I can remember AKOLA(Chelsea Veteran) launching a thread here on Nairaland that this might be Henry's last chance to win the award if he leads Arsenal to European glory but our dear Thierry was even the architect of Arsenal's loss by missin chances after chances.

He is just an unlucky player because things just don't happen for him at the biggest platforms.
he needs to move on and stop sucking on Wenger's cock.
Henry didnt play exceptionally well at the World Cup and Zidanve was the inspiration that pushed France to the finals.
France lost because Zizou copped a red card and as i watched Zizou left the pitch that night i knew he took France's luck out of the pitch.
Henry should tighten his belt this season and re-apply for 2007.
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by justkunmi(m): 6:58pm On Nov 29, 2006
i really think the club thing also has a lil part to play.

i ain't saying arsenal is a bad club but i totally believe he should leave arsenal for a better place where he has a higher chance of winning a trophy before the end of his career.

henry is too big a player to be rubbing shoulders with the likes of adebayor and hleb. (pls dont quote me) he needs a new challenge.
nowadays,he plays without zest. like he is tired or something.
he is like a big shark in a swimming pool. . . . he needs greater opportunities to win gret trophies and i dont see him doin that while at arsenal . . .no offence please
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by lalaboi(m): 7:16pm On Nov 29, 2006
B4 d award, he sed he doesnt care about d awards! D guy knws he's unda a curse!. Final!!! Lol.
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by kitaun(m): 7:28pm On Nov 29, 2006
@Justkunmi

Did i hear you mention rubbing shoulders with the likes of Hleb, you will need to tell me how many players in the EPL OR EVEN ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD CAN HOLD ON AS BRILLIANTLY WELL AS HLEB TO THE BALL WHEN THEY HAVE IT  
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by Jackal(m): 7:35pm On Nov 29, 2006
Alexander Hleb?
U gotta be kidding me.

Who the Bleep is Hleb?
I will choose Oruma as a manger before Hleb.
Arsenal fans always amaze me with their comments.

@J/K
Henry loves being the biggest fish in a small river.
He had the chance to join Barca in the summer but he backed off cos he was scared of the challenges.
Michel Platini even criticised Henry's decision to stay at Arsenal where things dont happen.
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by kitaun(m): 7:43pm On Nov 29, 2006
You are the one that amaze tremendously with your obviously blighted view about anything Arsenal, am not just ready to start all these baseless arguments

ORUMA VS HLEB

Atimes i wonder why you allow your sentiments to overrride your conscience

Answer the Q and stop beating about the bush, how many players can get away from defenders/markers as brilliantly as Hleb?
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by Jackal(m): 7:44pm On Nov 29, 2006
Kitaun,

I can name 20 different players better than Hleb in the EPL.
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by kitaun(m): 7:47pm On Nov 29, 2006
And has that answered my question?

Hell NAH grin grin

THE QUESTION IS HOW MANY PLAYERS IN THE EPL CAN GET AWAY SO BRILLIANTLY AWAY FROM MARKERS AS COOL ENOUGH AS HLEB WOULD DO IT?

e.g Ronaldo
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by gaby(m): 7:49pm On Nov 29, 2006
@Jackal

Your analysis and comments are really worth nothing but laughter,

On Hlep pls jackal kindly start naming them plsss
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by gaby(m): 7:51pm On Nov 29, 2006
Kitaun Abeg make we leave these people boooohh
Re: Henry Misses Fifa Award Shortlist (this Is Just Unfair To Henry) by Jackal(m): 7:53pm On Nov 29, 2006
Ronaldo

Robben

Ryan Giggs

Rooney

Joe Cole

Robbie Keane

Shawn Wright Phillips

Boa Morte

Etherington(West Ham)

El-Hadji Diouf

Henri Camara

Benny McCarthy

Craig Bellamy

Dirk Kuyt

Stevie Gerrard

JS Park

Damien Duff

Obafemi Martins

Kanu Nwankwo

Romanus Lua Lua

Yakubu Aiyegbeni

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Green Gooner - An Arsenal Blog / Liverpool(2) Vs Chelsea(0) On Sunday 1st February / Manchester City Vs Man United [0 - 0] On Wednesday 10th November 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.