Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days (30618 Views)

Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / Do I Have To Pay Rent After Being Issued A Quit Notice?” / Sudden One Month Quit Notice: Please We Need Advice On Solution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Ojolseth(f): 7:05am On Jun 26, 2016
DesChyko:
You didn't give details of your tenancy agreement. Was there any clause like 'one-year certain' or 'eviction if you do so-so'?

If there isn't, you have a case. Reply the lawyer, telling him that under Tenancy Laws, you are entitled to six months notice as long as you pay yearly. If he plays stubborn, get a lawyer.
Oh, interesting
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by beesammy(m): 7:05am On Jun 26, 2016
In property law, it's valid. Your tenancy expired and you're yet to renew, which means you're a 'tenant at will'. This is different from the statutory Notice to Quit. If you don't pay up by the expiration of the 7 days notice to quit served on you, expect another notice - 7 days owner's intention to recover possession. If this expires and you have not paid, they have the necessary documents to file a case (rent default) in the court of law. Though, our judiciary system favors the tenants more and the magistrate/judge could keep on adjourning the hearing till thy kingdom come. Eventually, if the case is decided, you will still have to pay what is called mesne profit - that's for the overstayed period after your tenancy expired.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by loluharmony(m): 7:05am On Jun 26, 2016
oga don't disturb yourself in fact just pretend as if you don't see anything if possible go and buy new electrical appliance let him see it when u will Cary it inside and wait for his new action but you need to be prayerful sha, because people like that can go extraordinary way to send you out with Juju

2 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by lagosrd: 7:06am On Jun 26, 2016
I just feel you don't need all this. Perhaps its time to move on with your life. Why feel too comfortable in someone else's property. Guy God will provide urs for you.

Hire a lawyer and he will make sure that you wouldn't be able to pay the rent again by depleting your hard earn rent in your possession.

Report the man i.e landlord then he will surely device another means of getting you out or his property. And guy it may not be as funny as you expect.

My advice is that just look out for another apartment get extra money to pay the agent beg your landlord for a month extension to move out. Remember pursue peace with all men.

N.B to teach that lawyer that served you that kind of notice a lesson report him to NJC Nigerian judicial council in writing stating how he is tarnishing the image of the profession and dragging it into disrepute.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by purplesummer(f): 7:07am On Jun 26, 2016
uchpanila:

all they will do again is get another court order from the court to throw the guy out and police will do the rest. that's Nigeria for you, very lawless
No bro, no court has jurisdiction to make an order of possession based solely on the document above.
If a court does that, the decision will be quashed on appeal.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Goodeeman: 7:07am On Jun 26, 2016
I guess may be the 7 days notice is predicated on what is contained in the tenancy agreement being that it is a lawyer that issued same.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by ohbejay(m): 7:08am On Jun 26, 2016
Don't panic is never don'e..... The purported letter claimed it was from the lawyer but signed by your landlord, they have failed from the very begining the quake lawyer just wanted to create fair in your Heart though they have achieved that but u been smarter than them by asking for help in Nairaland. Even if u have the money on Monday don't pay yet..... U will never be pushed out... U can enjoy free housing for Atleast good three month. Just go to high court in your location on Monday, meet any of the court clerk tell them what happened they will give u good lawyer with little month. Enjoy ur day bro.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by bastien: 7:09am On Jun 26, 2016
joceey:

Alausa ke angry that is Nasarawa state not Lagos state oga
sleep still dey ma eyes, I no get time to check the letter, but make him still come alausa sha grin

2 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by beesammy(m): 7:10am On Jun 26, 2016
Just saw the attachment. The notice served on you is faulty. It's not valid to serve both 7 days Notice to Quit and 7 days owner's intention to recover possession at the same time. The former precedes the latter. The lawyer is obviously a charge and bail unseasoned one. Between, when did your tenancy expire, OP?
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by balash(m): 7:11am On Jun 26, 2016
Elinob:
Pls if jux ave sum cash jux locate urself

That's how u just wakeup one day and relocate abi? If u dnt have good advice go back to bed, he obviously can't move out that's why he came seeking advice

2 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by bellville: 7:14am On Jun 26, 2016
Get a lawyer to write his lawyer. If you write it yourself it won't carry much weight. It's a lawyer's job. No lawyer would give you a template to write it yourself. We paid a lot of money at the law school to learn that.
elbukaze:
Good Evening fellow Nairalanders, my
Landlord gave me 7 days quit notice to vacate his
building a day after my house rent expired, I
was hoping to renew the rent on Monday,

Please I want to reply him telling him that I
pay rent annually and therefore can't be given
a week to vacate his building, please can any
lawyer in the house help me to compose such
a letter.

Thank you.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Phelicx(m): 7:15am On Jun 26, 2016
What are you waiting for? Get de heck outta his house joor tongue

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by motoyo: 7:16am On Jun 26, 2016
I want to believe your Landlord knows very well the implication of what he is doing because by Lagos state tenancy law, as a fixed term tenant payment you're given six most months then seven days after if not the case will not hold water in court except you're not telling us the full story. Also look at the letter very well to call calculate tg Number of days in the seven days notice given to you as most ignorant or quacks made mistakes of six days for seven days and should that be the ase get yourself a good lawyer to write the landlord telling him about date and a possible meeting with the landlord lawyer or the landlord but my brother the man (your landlord) has madeup his mind to have you out of is house so start packing your things in style because if it ends in court case then you'll pay for all the days you spend in that house an you'll still leave I not you lose your property in the process of fighting it out with him in the court. Go and beg him... Ooo

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by paulibling(m): 7:16am On Jun 26, 2016
In posts like this please if are you not a lawyer or does not have a technical answer please do not comment. the poster needs help but all i can see is usual nairaland gimmicks which explains nothing except one or two learned replies.

Sometimes i feel disgusted reading useless replies but what can i do--nothing, cos in naija we are used to taking poo and nobody will give a bull about it.

5 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by ciscoxx(m): 7:16am On Jun 26, 2016
Guy pls tell us the truth did u tell the landlord u wil pay him on Monday 4 of July? Or because 4 a good landlord to Gv u letter.. May b u a silent to him since ur house rent due..
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by joansteff(m): 7:20am On Jun 26, 2016
Sorry oo what ur landlord did is the right and legally permissable by de Rent Contro And Recovery of Premises Laws, a yearly tenant is entitled to a 6 months notice, and afterwards A Notice Of Owner's Intention To Recover Possesion, but de supreme court in a plethora of decided cases has said dat a tenant whose rent has elapsed by affluxion of time becomes a Tenant At Will and deserves only a week's notice. I've advised u proffessionally.

3 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Elinob(m): 7:20am On Jun 26, 2016
balash:

That's how u just wakeup one day and relocate abi? If u dnt have good advice go back to bed, he obviously can't move out that's why he came seeking advice
mr adviser pls advice well oo.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by beesammy(m): 7:20am On Jun 26, 2016
Contrary to the 'general' belief, that a tenant has the right to overstay in a premises for a certain period of time after expiration, IT IS WRONG and NOT IN ANY TENANCY LAW. The lawful thing for whomsoever wishes to determine a tenancy contract is to give the statutory prior notice of 6months (in a yearly tenancy), a 3 month notice before expiration suffices IF it's clearly stated in the tenancy agreement. You must deliver vacant possession of the premises not later than the tenancy expiration. All damaged fittings and fixtures to be fixed or replaced, APART from normal wear and tear that might have set in due to use over the period. You're not expected to leave the property far worse than you met it. If a refundable caution deposit was made ab nitio, fine, the landlord/agent can fix the house from it, so far it's will accommodate the impending repairs.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 26, 2016
All these charge and bell Lawyers can't even advice their Landlords or principals...
That's why Estate Management Firms are the best.. We will write you 6months before expiration to ask if you have intentions to renew tenancy, then after that we will serve you another one 3months before expiration "NOTICE of Quit", then by the 3months we assume that you must have made arrangements for your shelter elsewhere...
LAWLESS LEGAL PRACTIONERS..

2 Likes

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Arabs999: 7:36am On Jun 26, 2016
driand:
since you are ready to pay your rent on Monday, meaning you have the cash with you I believe you can get another apartment withing another one week if you get an agent instead of paying a lawyer or digging it out with your landlord... Just get another apartment and leave peacefully and I assure you as you leave you leave all your pains and sorrows behind, it's well.....

.. Very intelligent advice !!!
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by swagzofroyalty(m): 7:38am On Jun 26, 2016
elbukaze:
Good Evening fellow Nairalanders, my
Landlord gave me 7 days quit notice to vacate his
building a day after my house rent expired, I
was hoping to renew the rent on Monday,

Please I want to reply him telling him that I
pay rent annually and therefore can't be given
a week to vacate his building, please can any
lawyer in the house help me to compose such
a letter.

Thank you.

Call me on 08058284552
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by alobright17(m): 7:39am On Jun 26, 2016
The Op is no where to be found at least to clear the air on some questions asked.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Nobody: 7:41am On Jun 26, 2016
1 week, that landlord is dam wicked
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by driand(m): 7:43am On Jun 26, 2016
Arabs999:

.. Very intelligent advice !!!
just my humble opinion,... Who am I?
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 26, 2016
Where r d lawyers
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Enyimbamercedes: 7:45am On Jun 26, 2016
bastien:
Go alausa go complain
Did you see the part where the address was in Nasarawa state?
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Codes151(m): 7:47am On Jun 26, 2016
Sometimes u don't have to blame this landlords. Same situation I am in. My rent expired on 20th. I wanted to pack on Wed. Which is three days from today! But landlord got money from a dude already and been putting pressure on the man even as far as asking for refund last night. And the landlord (igboman) don use the money. So he comes this morning to ask me to pack. Where I am from we rent houses too. Normally 3 weeks or 1 month is given to evacate. But he came, we talked and I understand his position. So as am typing am packing up!

If u wanna renew ask or write him with deadlines to and if he accepts it ok. If he doesn't, make provisions to move on agreed deadlines. No need to go far.
Also, it's always better to involve a lawyer before renting so when issues like this occur it's easier...

Goodluck!
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by eldoradoxx: 7:47am On Jun 26, 2016
purplesummer:
Allow him to serve you the court summons then you meet him in court. Notice to Quit and an Owner's Intention to Apply to Recover Possession (otherwise called 7days notice) are two separate documents which should be served separately. From the snapshot, I can see he merged both the quit notice and 7days notice together. That is very wrong.

By the way, did you sign any tenancy agreement before you moved in? If so, did you read the terms of the agreement?
You pass bar final joor! That notice is completely defective. Whereas the letter claimed that the Solicitor was acting for the landlord, however at the space for signature, it was signed by the landlord himself.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by bedfordng(m): 7:50am On Jun 26, 2016
what a landlord
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by sainty2k3(m): 7:50am On Jun 26, 2016
it seems u are in the north. if your landlord want u to leave , you better leave the house and forget the law. to avoid story that touch the heart o.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Nobody: 7:52am On Jun 26, 2016
Mitsurugi:
Hello, please check your Tenancy Agreement. If it has the words TERM CERTAIN then I'm sorry by law all the landlord is required to give you is seven days. If the words don't feature then as a yearly tenant you are entitled to six months notice. Even if you are a tenant at will. There are decided cases up to the Supreme Court on this issue. You should have had a lawyer read your agreement before signing. It's usually a land mine set by lawyers for ignorant tenants. I rescued a lady recently from signing such an agreement recently. The best you can do is plead with your landlord for an extended time which he may generously give. If not he is backed by law. Check your Tenancy Agreement.
is it true dat landlord can now serve tenants 6 months quit notice even if d tenant has 6 more months before his rent expires
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by ifaomo: 7:58am On Jun 26, 2016
The seven days notice is d first step b4 d law to evict u from d premises. After d expiration of d seven days u would be summon to court and u would surely be heard from in court. So just know u must pay ur rent and be ready 2 give dem specific date u could likely pay ur rent. The court itself has an human face depending on hw u coduct ur self and ur intentions.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Building Behind Zenith Bank In Lekki Currently On Fire (Photos) / Massive Fireworks Fire Destroys Buildings On Lagos Island. / Two Dead As Gas Explosion Rocks Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.