Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days (30711 Views)

Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / Do I Have To Pay Rent After Being Issued A Quit Notice?” / Sudden One Month Quit Notice: Please We Need Advice On Solution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by AuroraB(f): 8:04am On Jun 26, 2016
motoyo:
I want to believe your Landlord knows very well the implication of what he is doing because by Lagos state tenancy law, as a fixed term tenant payment you're given six most months then seven days after if not the case will not hold water in court except you're not telling us the full story. Also look at the letter very well to call calculate tg Number of days in the seven days notice given to you as most ignorant or quacks made mistakes of six days for seven days and should that be the ase get yourself a good lawyer to write the landlord telling him about date and a possible meeting with the landlord lawyer or the landlord but my brother the man (your landlord) has madeup his mind to have you out of is house so start packing your things in style because if it ends in court case then you'll pay for all the days you spend in that house an you'll still leave I not you lose your property in the process of fighting it out with him in the court. Go and beg him... Ooo

Say what
Op, lawyer up! Yes, you will leave but not in this manner. Do it so he doesn't do this to someone else angry. Be not afraid but be wise.
Remember, let your reply to this letter come from a Lawyer angry
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by flyingdutchman(m): 8:06am On Jun 26, 2016
Naaa. Contact a lawyer. A good one. By law, the minimum stipulated time is THREE MONTHS - SIX MONTHS.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Rasheed02(m): 8:06am On Jun 26, 2016
purplesummer:
Allow him to serve you the court summons then you meet him in court. Notice to Quit and an Owner's Intention to Apply to Recover Possession (otherwise called 7days notice) are two separate documents which should be served separately. From the snapshot, I can see he merged both the quit notice and 7days notice together. That is very wrong.

By the way, did you sign any tenancy agreement before you moved in? If so, did you read the terms of the agreement?
You are very right, imagine the lawyer does not even know that notice to quit and intention to recover possession are two different documents. I guess he is one of those old-school lawyers who wasn't privileged to take Practical lawyering skills while in school and he probably crammed to pass in law school. Well, in order not to be a "all-mouth" critic, I think the OP should check his tenancy agreement once more to see if there is the presence of the word TERM CERTAIN or not. Lawyers surely knows how to take advantage of loopholes. I can't wait to graduate!
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by bastien: 8:07am On Jun 26, 2016
Enyimbamercedes:

Did you see the part where the address was in Nasarawa state?
nope..... I skipped it grin
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by inspiredlegal: 8:09am On Jun 26, 2016
If there is no more to the story as related above, it null and void in law. Meanwhile you contact me if you need more advice. Thanks.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Shedysworld(m): 8:13am On Jun 26, 2016
purplesummer:
Allow him to serve you the court summons then you meet him in court. Notice to Quit and an Owner's Intention to Apply to Recover Possession (otherwise called 7days notice) are two separate documents which should be served separately. From the snapshot, I can see he merged both the quit notice and 7days notice together. That is very wrong.

By the way, did you sign any tenancy agreement before you moved in? If so, did you read the terms of the agreement?
My Senior Lawyer
Purplesummer how are you?
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by pappilo(m): 8:17am On Jun 26, 2016
Bloody slowpoke of a tenant. No landlord takes this step if the tenant is not a bloody ingrate.

You are more than likely a perennial debtor who doesnt pay rent on time and is in arrears.

Leave the mans house and go and die!

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Rainmaker69(m): 8:18am On Jun 26, 2016
elbukaze:
Good Evening fellow Nairalanders, my
Landlord gave me 7 days quit notice to vacate his
building a day after my house rent expired, I
was hoping to renew the rent on Monday,

Please I want to reply him telling him that I
pay rent annually and therefore can't be given
a week to vacate his building, please can any
lawyer in the house help me to compose such
a letter.

Thank you.

1. The letter is not dated.
2. The letter is issued by the law firm (through the court), but signed by the alleged owner.
3. The term of a tenancy in Nasarawa is approximated to the end of the month. If you pay rent 1st January or 30th January, then you have till 31st January to pay.
4. By asking for arrears from 22 June-30th June, the letter acknowledges that your rent is fully paid up to 22 June, 2016.
5. If (4) above is correct, you are first entitled to 6 months notice before the notice to recover possession.
You should brief a lawyer in person. Don't reply on your own. Get professional advice and services.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by muganbo1(m): 8:19am On Jun 26, 2016
bastien:
Go alausa go complain
tozo alausa for nasarawa #malu
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by cnsprince76: 8:21am On Jun 26, 2016
Let's take a look at the signature column. The letter was signed by the landlord instead of the lawyer. Get a lawyer to advise you better; it seems your landlord has a case of forgery and impersonation to answer.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by InvertedHammer: 8:21am On Jun 26, 2016
/
Get a good lawyer...get a good lawyer.

Calculate your rent. Add lawyer's fees. Then decide if it is worth it. Good lawyers are not cheap.

My point: You are screwed.

You missed the part about what transpired between you and the landlord from the time your rent expired till now.
\

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by pappilo(m): 8:26am On Jun 26, 2016
All you clowns saying get a lawyer. Do you think this broke azz tenant who cant pay N200,000 annual house rent will be able to afford any lawyer let alone a decent one?

If I was the landlord I would send goons to beat you up. If you still dont do the needful I'll ask them to give you the final treatment.

Bloody lazy tenants living free in another mans property. Onyeochi!

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by souljaboi51(m): 8:32am On Jun 26, 2016
RichYoungNigger:
Without reading the story i knew it was in Nigeria.

Here, it takes 1 year and 2 months to evict a tenant from your house, and those 1 year and 2 months is without rent.

Telling your tenant to vacate within 1 week only happens in a lawless country
this is true
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Nobody: 8:34am On Jun 26, 2016
Do you owe your landlord rent?
Do you always pay your rent on time?
Do you always pay the rent in one lump sum or do you pay in in bits
Do you get on with the other tenants in the property if any

4 very crucial questions before you go off and pay for expensive lawyers

One of our tenants always pays late and when he does pay its always less than what he owes and takes 6 months to complete the payment. The wife is also always at loggerheads with everyone.
When we have his time he is leaving but I am sure when it comes to it he will complain, but he forgets the number of times he has breached his own tenancy agreement terms.

Landlords rarely just chase tenants out for no good reason because it is stressful for them and it is expensive to repair and renovate the property back in good shape and looking for another suitable tenant that will fit into the existing dynamics of the property.

There are many people looking for houses but as a landlord unless you want trouble everyday you have to be careful who you pick and landlords know this, so if you are a good tenant its unlikely that your landlord will give you a quit notice just for the fun of it

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by gabbytabby: 8:36am On Jun 26, 2016
If your rent is due you need to pay it before due deadline date or approach your landlord well before to provide explanation and get agreement. It is totally disrespectful and irresponsible to take credit that you have not been granted.

When you pass deadline date and still not pay your rent chances are your landlord will respond to the insolence.

A seven days notice is what you get for s year certain tenancy.

1 Like

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Nobody: 8:42am On Jun 26, 2016
souljaboi51:

this is true

Where is this please?
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Teespice(f): 8:44am On Jun 26, 2016
kai.

this is a badly drafted letter na.

this is a notice to quit and an intention to recover the premises which are supposed to be two separate documents.

document in question should be signed by the lawyer and not the landlord.

all this quack lawyers that I am sure crammed the entire books just to pass bar finals. smh.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by bastien: 8:48am On Jun 26, 2016
muganbo1:
tozo alausa for nasarawa #malu
#bozo
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by shosky1794: 8:51am On Jun 26, 2016
A 7-day notice to quit can be served on an annual tenant if he is in arrears of 1 year rent. Likewise a tenant with rents paid every 6 months will be served a 7-day notice to quit if he is in arrears of 6 months rents. People should understand this. Maybe this guy is in arrears or his rents payment is very much irregular
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Kay17: 8:57am On Jun 26, 2016
Mitsurugi:
Hello, please check your Tenancy Agreement. If it has the words TERM CERTAIN then I'm sorry by law all the landlord is required to give you is seven days. If the words don't feature then as a yearly tenant you are entitled to six months notice. Even if you are a tenant at will. There are decided cases up to the Supreme Court on this issue. You should have had a lawyer read your agreement before signing. It's usually a land mine set by lawyers for ignorant tenants. I rescued a lady recently from signing such an agreement recently. The best you can do is plead with your landlord for an extended time which he may generously give. If not he is backed by law. Check your Tenancy Agreement.

Term certain merely ensures it's not a yearly tenancy but a fixed tenancy upon its Iapse leaves the tenancy as one at will or statutory tenancy.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by charles01: 8:58am On Jun 26, 2016
Go to www.paradelaw.com, you will get a lawyer that will respond to your request and advise you asap.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by teeiabee: 9:15am On Jun 26, 2016
I am a lawyer and you can hire my services. Call me on 08186401446..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by chigoizie7(m): 9:18am On Jun 26, 2016
elbukaze:
Good Evening fellow Nairalanders, my
Landlord gave me 7 days quit notice to vacate his
building a day after my house rent expired, I
was hoping to renew the rent on Monday,

Please I want to reply him telling him that I
pay rent annually and therefore can't be given
a week to vacate his building, please can any
lawyer in the house help me to compose such
a letter.

Thank you.

Tell us ur own side of the story.

A landlord u are in good terms with can not come and give only u a quit notice of just 7days, u are not the only person living in his property, why only u?

Some tenants are in the habit of behaving anyhow or unruly in people's property all in the name of "after all, I pay him rent" without even considering the terms and conditions u agreed to b4 u packed into the said house.

Brother, tell us, what did u do to the landlord, lets know who is @ fault here.

Besides, what terms of contract did u sign with him b4 packing into the said house? because he might capitalise on that b4 giving u that 7days notice.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Compliant(m): 9:18am On Jun 26, 2016
nyabingi:
The Lagos state tenement law prohibits such.

OP RESIDE IN NASARAWA STATE
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by jayriginal: 9:30am On Jun 26, 2016
RichYoungNigger:

Here, it takes 1 year and 2 months to evict a tenant from your house, and those 1 year and 2 months is without rent.

Sounds like a lie to me. Where in the world does a tenant stay free of charge (for 14 months no less) because the landlord is evicting him?
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by histemple: 9:40am On Jun 26, 2016
RichYoungNigger:

Please keep your disgusting and unnecessary denigration of the Nigerian state to yourself. I don't know why you feel your country has laws that protects her citizens more than Nigeria. Have you read our tenancy laws before regurgitating this preposterous absurdity to a whole country? And I hope you are not writing from the immoral United States of GAY practitioners?

Lawlessness happens anywhere in the world when the unscrupulous elements decides to take advantage of the ignorant. Even in your country not every citizen/resident knows ALL their rights------although there are greater awareness in some countries than others.

In Nigeria, a yearly tenancy is entitled to a period of 6 months quit notice. Any notice issued to a yearly tenant that is less than 6 months is invalid and not legally enforceable.

In the instant case, I will advise the tenant to disregard the poorly constructed "love letter" (PROVIDED HE HAS HIS LAST RECEIPT OR EVIDENCE OF RENT PAYMENT) sent to him until the devil pushes the landlord to forcefully eject him before 6 months.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Skyloloprince(m): 9:50am On Jun 26, 2016
07088161201 will help you
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by Kobicove(m): 9:52am On Jun 26, 2016
OP, I have a feeling you have not told us the full story here... sad

It appears you and your landlord have been having a running battle otherwise if you were in good financial standing with him I see no reason why he would go to the extent of getting a lawyer to write you officially.

I am not saying what the landlord did is necessarily right I'm just trying to 'see' things from his perspective.
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by adecares(f): 10:13am On Jun 26, 2016
bastien:
Go alausa go complain
se alausa dey nasarawa ni?
Re: Help Needed. I Was Given A Quit Notice To Vacate Within Seven Days by WiseFool2(m): 10:13am On Jun 26, 2016
The lawyer that's representing that landlord is a learner. You are on an annual tenancy, so the required duration of notice of quitting the property is 6 months. Even a monthly tenancy can't be one week. It's only when you have defaulted and you owing rent in arrears that the notice would be shortened.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Important Documents In Land Transactions. (must Read) / Storey Building Collapses At Sabo Yaba (photos) / Partially Demolished Daula Hotel Collapses In Kano.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.