Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid (10265 Views)

Five Simple Things To Do When You Lose Your Brakes While Driving / What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive / 5 Most Important Things To Do When Your Car Brakes Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by autojosh: 10:21am On Feb 14, 2018
One of the most scaring thing about driving is your car not stopping when you want it to stop. Same scare arises when it can not slow down when you desire. If you’re not a professional or advanced driver who has lots of experience, you might not be able to handle the adrenaline rush.

No matter how sophisticated and powerful a car is, brake is still the most essential part of the car. When it comes to brakes, proper care should be given to it, else, it is prone to disappoint you.

Your brakes need to be in good condition, no matter what type of car you drive. You and those who are driving around you are always at the mercy of your vehicle’s braking system. Your brakes are a matter of life and death.

A lot of people still get some things wrong about the brakes and how they work; some of these misconceptions and their corresponding corrections.

1. Some think unless you hear grinding noise, your break is fine:
If you start hearing grinding noises from your brakes, something must be very wrong somewhere. This can finally result to brake disc damage if care is not taken.

When there is reduced responsiveness during braking, vibrations or a pulling to one side while braking, ensure you have your brakes checked.

It’s advisable you have your brakes checked every 6,000-7,000 miles to help you avoid the danger and expense of damaged brake discs.

2. It is normal for brake fluid to go below normal from time to time:
The break fluid won’t go low if everything about the brake is normal. Your brake might be working properly for a while and won’t lose its stopping power immediately.

When there is constant or time to time decrease in the brake fluid level, it can mean your brake pads or master cylinder need to be fixed. It could also mean that there’s a leak in the brake lines. It also good you know a small leak of brake fluid today might be a disaster tomorrow.
Get it fixed!!!

3. Some think wet roads will cause your brakes not to work well:
A good set of braakes should work fine regardless of the weather condition. Hydroplaning and skidding are not caused by good brakes, though they may be the result of driver errors.

it is important to have your brake system inspected if it hasn’t been checked in a while and you know that severe weather is imminent.

4. You can use any brake pad sold out there:
It is not every brake pad that you buy is good for your vehicle. All brake pads does not have the same quality.

Whether replacing brake pads yourself or leaving it up to a qualified mechanic, it’s vital to make sure any part you use is reputable and sound.

https://autojosh.com/car-brakes-misconceptions-fluid-pads/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by izzou(m): 10:25am On Feb 14, 2018
When the roads are wet,its likely that your brakes may not function properly

For example,if diesel was spilled on the road and the rain falls, if you like drive a brand new 2020 model of any car, the brake must malfunction when it gets there

9 Likes

Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by cyborg123(m): 10:14pm On Feb 14, 2018
autojosh, is it necessary to top the brake fluid as the level goes down due to brake pad wear?
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by leonn(m): 10:24pm On Feb 14, 2018
Well when it rains no matter your car make or brake design one is expected to take caution while driving
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by autojosh: 10:55pm On Feb 14, 2018
cyborg123:
autojosh, is it necessary to top the brake fluid as the level goes down due to brake pad wear?

Sure, you have to top it after replacing the brake pads.
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by cyborg123(m): 11:09pm On Feb 14, 2018
autojosh:

Sure, you have to top it after replacing the brake pads.
Okay. But what of before replacing the pads?
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by autojosh: 6:49am On Feb 15, 2018
cyborg123:

Okay. But what of before replacing the pads?

I would top it if the brake pads are not worn out, not due for change or temporarily before fixing the issue. Note: The most important thing is to determine the cause of the shortage and decide if and when it has to be fixed.
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by cyborg123(m): 6:56am On Feb 15, 2018
autojosh:

I would top it if the brake pads are not worn out, not due for change or temporarily before fixing the issue. Note: The most important thing is to determine the cause of the shortage and decide if and when it has to be fixed.
Ok. Thanks
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by Yewandequeen(f): 7:09am On Feb 15, 2018
Just observing
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by SIRKAY98(m): 7:10am On Feb 15, 2018
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by Mrkumareze(m): 7:35am On Feb 15, 2018
izzou:

For example,if diesel was spilled on the road and the rain falls, if you like drive a brand new 2020 model of any car, the brake must malfunction when it gets there

Brake works in both cases the only thing is that the tyre fails to grip

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by hisgrace090: 7:38am On Feb 15, 2018
Break pad a very vital component of the car, handle with care.
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by Uzzie: 7:42am On Feb 15, 2018
izzou:

your brakes will work, you will probably loose traction because of the road condition. There are two different things

4 Likes

Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by femi4: 7:52am On Feb 15, 2018
What about those using soapy water instead of brake fluid
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by femimighty(m): 8:02am On Feb 15, 2018
Autojosh,I observed that my engine oil is slightly below the required level.
Do I have to top it now or wait till when next I'm servicing the car in another 1 month.
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by Rexnegro(m): 8:23am On Feb 15, 2018
True but disagree about the wet road own
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by ceejay675(m): 8:28am On Feb 15, 2018
Nice one OP. Guys how often do u think one shd change their brake pad? Secondly any idea of the best brake pad currently in the market?
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by eTECTIVe(m): 8:34am On Feb 15, 2018
Abeg help me tell our Naija drivers dat use Omo and water
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by Sirkelvin: 9:11am On Feb 15, 2018
ceejay675:
Nice one OP. Guys how often do u think one shd change their brake pad? Secondly any idea of the best brake pad currently in the market?
I don't have a car yet but I think it depends on how you use your car. You may not expect an interstate driver to compare his with a private owner who rarely drives within a city.
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by autojosh: 9:27am On Feb 15, 2018
femimighty:
Autojosh,I observed that my engine oil is slightly below the required level.
Do I have to top it now or wait till when next I'm servicing the car in another 1 month.

I will drive it that way since it's slightly low but you need to top it up if it goes down to the minimum bar.
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by autojosh: 9:38am On Feb 15, 2018
ceejay675:

@ Sirkelvin is right. It depends on several factors including the type of brake pads you use.

You only need to inspect the brake pads at regular intervals and change them when they have reached their wear limits. The best brake pad to use is OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). The one manufactured or recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. You can also get more information from your manual.

1 Like

Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by Ochima75(m): 9:56am On Feb 15, 2018
Brakes!
Brakes!!
Brakes!!!

Another clue, anytime u change ur brake pads always rmmbr to bleed properly be4 u couple completely...
If not... Heheheheheheheheheh
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by MrJames007: 10:32am On Feb 15, 2018
Ochima75:
Brakes!
Brakes!!
Brakes!!!

Another clue, anytime u change ur brake pads always rmmbr to bleed properly be4 u couple completely...
If not... Heheheheheheheheheh
Most cars don't require any bleeding. I didn't bleed mine after replacing the pads.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by consultancy: 10:50am On Feb 15, 2018
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by Chuochajc: 11:28am On Feb 15, 2018
Thanks for this helpful piece, autojosh. Please, in a condition where the break pedal leaks air when one applies the break, what should one do?
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by ebuka1511(m): 11:45am On Feb 15, 2018
Nice writes up OP, but i would want to disagree on number one where you stated that;
([b]It’s advisable you have your brakes checked every 6,000-7,000 miles [/b]to help you avoid the danger and expense of damaged brake discs.)

This thinking and thought in fleet management needs to change. Aging in brake pads of vehicles varies, this is as a result of use, the road condition, the weight of the vehicle, the traffic situation and many more other factors. The best practice on brake pad to me, still remains Bi Monthly Physical checks of your brake pads. Nothing beats it. When you get to physically have your brakes checked in a workshop twice a month, there is no how you will not know when the brake is due to be changed assuming all other factors like brake fluid leakages and others are fine.

I have managed Soft Vehicle and AVs and have come to understand that using the traditional Mileage method exposes you risking your brake discs. I have changed a brake pads from a vehicle that just covered less than 2000km , Had i Left it to cover the traditional 5000km, imagine what will happen to the Disc and also the safety part of it.

To me, the best Practice is always conducting a weekly vehicle checks that incorporates the wheels, Oil Check, Filter Checks and other fluid level check.
Nice writes up OP, keep it coming.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by SoldierBoy1(m): 1:29pm On Feb 15, 2018
Proud to be a Mechanic .

1 Like

Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by SoldierBoy1(m): 1:32pm On Feb 15, 2018
ebuka1511:
Nice writes up OP, but i would want to disagree on number one where you stated that;
([b]It’s advisable you have your brakes checked every 6,000-7,000 miles [/b]to help you avoid the danger and expense of damaged brake discs.)

This thinking and thought in fleet management needs to change. Aging in brake pads of vehicles varies, this is as a result of use, the road condition, the weight of the vehicle, the traffic situation and many more other factors. The best practice on brake pad to me, still remains Bi Monthly Physical checks of your brake pads. Nothing beats it. When you get to physically have your brakes checked in a workshop twice a month, there is no how you will not know when the brake is due to be changed assuming all other factors like brake fluid leakages and others are fine.

I have managed Soft Vehicle and AVs and have come to understand that using the traditional Mileage method exposes you risking your brake discs. I have changed a brake pads from a vehicle that just covered less than 2000km , Had i Left it to cover the traditional 5000km, imagine what will happen to the Disc and also the safety part of it.

To me, the best Practice is always conducting a weekly vehicle checks that incorporates the wheels, Oil Check, Filter Checks and other fluid level check.
Thanks for this Bro cos in my workshop, we still use the traditional mileage method which I've cautioned against a lot until few days ago when we had to change the Brake pads of a two month old Ford Ranger,that was when others started to agree with me on the danger of the mileage method.

1 Like

Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by nemynely(m): 4:03pm On Feb 16, 2018
Power is disastrous without control. In addition, pay attention to the ABS indicator.
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by nemynely(m): 4:12pm On Feb 16, 2018
ebuka1511:

Even Caucasians don't do this kind fortnightly check you propose. Please ensure that service parts (brake pads inclusive) are of high quality. More expensive? Yes, but guarantees 99% peace of mind.
Re: 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid by nemynely(m): 4:12pm On Feb 16, 2018
ebuka1511:

Even Caucasians don't do this kind of fortnightly check you propose. Please ensure that service parts (brake pads inclusive) are of high quality. More expensive? Yes, but guarantees 99% peace of mind.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Most Nigerian (AC)Technicians & Mechanics are Quacks >:( / Refitting Deployed Airbags! Who Knows How? / Is It Legal To Drive Right-hand-drive (RHD) Vehicles In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.