Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) (31586 Views)

Female Fraudster Who Lures Victims To Native Doctor With 'Dollar' Busted / RSS Arrests Man Who Uses Nude Pictures Of Female Victims To Blackmail Them / I Love Caressing My Victims Breasts Before Robbing Them- Robber Confess (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by dre11(m): 7:29am On Jun 26, 2016
•I’m troubled by my conscience… but I have to live

Written by: Oluwatoyin Malik

A 39-year-old welder, Taiwo Lawal Egbebi, who decided to seek short cut to quick wealth bowed his head in shame on Thursday, June 23, at the premises of the headquarters of the Oyo State Police Command, as his victims hollered at him, screaming and clapping: “Oju ole re, ole! (Behold the face of a thief and a fraudster)!”

But before they had the opportunity of shaming him publicly, Egbebi had caused untold silent pains to each of his victims by sending them to prisons in Nigeria and abroad over crimes they did not commit.

Crime Reports’ investigation revealed that the suspect’s stock-in-trade was to deceive innocent victims into making them believe he was a businessman, after which he would offer them the job of a sales girl. At other times, he would tell those in business that he could take them to countries where they could get goods at cheaper prices. He would thereafter take them on such business trips and swindle bureau-de-change operators and merchants, leaving his innocent ‘sales girl’ or ‘business partners’ to face the music of the crime committed by him.

The Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Leye Oyebade, who spoke with Crime Reports on the arrest of the suspect, said Egbebi usually introduced himself to people as Alhaji Kazeem Ade-Alaso and Ade-Gold, making them to believe he was into the sale of clothing materials and gold.

One of the victims, Ajani Adunola, who spoke with Crime Reports, said: “The suspect cajoled me and another lady, Ismail Saidat, to follow him for business in Lome, Republic of Togo, in November 28, 2012, saying goods were cheaper there. In the guise of changing naira to CFA, he stole from the money given to him by the bureau de change operator we went to and disappeared, leaving us behind.

“The money he stole was seven million CFA which is N2.1million. Because of this, we were arrested and were in prison for 17 months. We were sentenced to 20 years imprisonment but after we paid the money, we were released.”

On how she came across Egbebi, the lady said she and Saidat were in the same vehicle with him on their way to Cotonou in a commercial bus. “I was discussing on phone with a customer who wanted me to buy some kegs of vegetable oil for her. After finishing the call, the suspect told me that he was a vegetable oil merchant in Lome.

“That was how I fell into his trap. He told me that vegetable oil was cheaper in Lome, saying I should go with him. He asked for the money for the business and I told him that I had already changed the currency to CFA. He approached some bureau de change operators in Togo and told them that he had dollars, displaying a bag. After collecting the cash, he left his bag and went out. When he did not return, the bag was searched and we discovered he stuffed it with vegetables and rags.”

Lending her voice to her friend’s narrative, Saidat said: “My friend and I were on our way to Cotonou to buy vegetable oil, shoes and bags for sale, but the suspect convinced us to follow him to Togo. Along Cotonou and Togo highway, police stopped us and he cajoled me into borrowing him some money, saying he had only dollars. After the police released us, he took us to Lakoji area and people told us that it was Ghana border with Togo.

“The suspect approached a Hausa man for CFA. When the man went to bring the money in a Ghana-must-go bag, I asked the suspect to bring out his dollars but he warned me that we needed to be careful, as the Hausa people were wicked and could disappear with the dollars. He had earlier collected N42,000 from us.

“As we were counting the money, he smartly removed seven million CFA, after which he said he wanted to charge our phones for us. That was the last we saw of him. The Hausa man said the money he brought was no longer complete. We searched for the suspect but he had already disappeared with our phones and money.

“We were confused: They didn’t understand Yoruba or English and we could not speak French. It was a Yoruba man who was nearby that told the Hausas not to beat us, as he could understand what we were saying.

“Police were invited and we were taken to police station. After the third day, we were taken straight to the prison. We spent 17 months in the prison, hired a lawyer and paid back the money the suspect stole before we were released. Our families had to sell properties to get us out because we were given 20 years imprisonment.”

Crime Reports also gathered that Egbebi was once arrested at State Criminal Investigation Department, Iyaganku, but was released on bail when he was down with tuberculosis.

Another victim, Yusuf Mujidat (22), also narrated her ordeal thus: “A friend introduced the man to me when he said he needed a sales girl. He said he had shops at Gbagi, Agbeni and Ogunpa. I said I would do the job and he promised to pay N15,000 monthly, N200 daily transport allowance and N250 travelling allowance.

“He showed me a shop at Agbeni but because it was a Thursday, he said the shop would not be opened until 10a.m. He took me to Asaba in Delta State on April 7, 2013. He bought gold worth N1,046,400 and disappeared on the pretence that he wanted to buy a drink, leaving me behind.

“I spent seven days in the police station in handcuffs, and spent one month and three days in prison. My parents spent a lot of money to get me bailed. We paid for surety in the sum of N300,000, a lawyer collected N170,000 as charges, and I still paid back the gold money.”

Staring straight as he spoke with Crime Reports, Egbebi confessed: “it is true that I defrauded people and also put my victims in trouble. I learnt welding as a vocation but there was no one to help me set up the business through the purchase of necessary equipment. I started defrauding people in 2012 to make some money but stopped in 2014. I picked it up again in 2015 when survival became difficult.

“What I usually did was to tell people that I needed a sales girl. I would go to a shop, pick my phone and start talking to no one that I needed a sales girl. Such people would recommend known persons to me and they were the ones I was using.

“Typically, on her first day of resumption, I would ask the sales girl to follow me to other parts of Nigeria to buy goods. Sometimes, I would stop at a bureau de change to change non-existing dollars to naira. In the process of counting the money, I would remove some and leave the sales girl to count the rest, saying that I wanted to buy a drink or ease myself. I would disappear with the money that way. Sometimes, it was goods such as gold jewellery. The sales girl would be held instead of me.”

Egbebi said he was arrested in 2014 but was released due to ill health. One of the vehicles he brought from the dubious business transactions was however impounded and is still at the Iyaganku Division.

When asked whether he was never pricked by his conscience, the suspect said he was, but since he had no means of repaying what he had taken, he later ignored victims’ families’ calls. He said he built a house and bought two vehicles, one of which he had sold. He said the total money he collected was about N4 million, though the Commissioner of Police put the money at over N5 million.

Other victims are Arije Olabisi who was taken to Kano State; Hamzat Abiodun whom the suspect took to Owerri in Imo State; and Iyabo Owolabi who was taken to Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, and remanded in prison for three weeks.

The Commissioner of Police said that the suspect would be arraigned in court after the conclusion of investigations, while he urged other victims to come forward for more evidences to be taken against him.

http://tribuneonlineng.com/confession-of-international-fraudster-•how-i-sent-my-victims-to-prison-in-togo

Pics: The suspect. INSET: Some of Taiwo Egbebi’s victims. From left: Ajani Adunola, Ismail Saidat, Yusuf Mujidat and Iyabo Owolabi

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by AlPeter: 7:37am On Jun 26, 2016
That nigger bad damn. He should be consciouslessly jailed. Anu ofia

10 Likes

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by YourMajesty(m): 7:54am On Jun 26, 2016
Taiwo Lawal Egbebi

Reporting live from the Creek.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by cassidy1996(m): 7:58am On Jun 26, 2016
jail straight......

2 Likes

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by Fimfam(f): 12:24pm On Jun 26, 2016
Kai, the wickedness of man
Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by psychologist(m): 12:25pm On Jun 26, 2016
Cc Nairaland association of name checkers
food Don don oo

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by bigerboy200: 12:26pm On Jun 26, 2016
So many members of NCA from the south west chapters won't show face on this thread ohhh grin grin

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by orijintv(m): 12:27pm On Jun 26, 2016
Oshe !! CEO Nairaland Name Checkers Association (NNCA) is Here !! Whr Are My Members ??

Good News To My Igbo Brothers !! The Suspect Is A Full Grown YORUBA MAN

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by Fmdipo(m): 12:28pm On Jun 26, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by SamMilla1(m): 12:29pm On Jun 26, 2016
Too bad.

Can we just forget about the section of the country where he came from?
He is a Nigerian with green passport.

If you were happy when we won the 1996 Olympic, then this man is your brother.

If you were happy when we won 2013 nations cup, this man is your brother.

If you were angry when Boko Haram started, this man is your brother.

So no matter the name he bears, it changes nothing because the moment your green passport hits an international airport outside Nigeria, nobody cares whether you are Taiwo or Chinedu, all they see is a suspect from Nigeria.

If we really want to make Nigeria good, avoid name checking here today and build yourself from there. Who knows, this may be the moment we have all been waiting for.

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by Middlefinger1: 12:30pm On Jun 26, 2016
bigots e don done

4 Likes

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by MadCow1: 12:30pm On Jun 26, 2016
Taiwo Lawal Egbebi..

grin

Verified.

37 Likes

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by HAH: 12:30pm On Jun 26, 2016
God will judge you, name checkers onitsha branch over to you.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by jneutron4000: 12:32pm On Jun 26, 2016
Taiwo Lawal, na we we grin

6 Likes

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by orijintv(m): 12:32pm On Jun 26, 2016
F
Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by savio93(m): 12:36pm On Jun 26, 2016
This guy is badht, no conscience.he deserves beating before Being jailed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by orijintv(m): 12:36pm On Jun 26, 2016
D
Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by Tonymegabush1(m): 12:36pm On Jun 26, 2016
nawa oooo.... u scam someone and made away with the person money.. while u are celebrating ur tricks the victim is licking his/her pain and lost.. time to ave a rethink

4 Likes

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by oladam93: 12:37pm On Jun 26, 2016
Law of kama
Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by Nigga44: 12:38pm On Jun 26, 2016
Taiwo Somebody

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by InfomejobsN: 12:40pm On Jun 26, 2016
Am here to Check Names

Check My Signature for Daily Job Info

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by Tunami(m): 12:40pm On Jun 26, 2016
Although am not part of the NCA but i know if it was to be an ibo person this thread would have been flooded by my brothers.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by amiibaby(f): 12:41pm On Jun 26, 2016
ok

1 Like

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by DaBullIT(m): 12:41pm On Jun 26, 2016
God dey o

1 Like

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by casttlebarbz(m): 12:43pm On Jun 26, 2016
...I just hate fraudsters with passion, including G-boys
Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by sosanova: 12:45pm On Jun 26, 2016
[size=13pt]
grin grin grin

Taiwo Lawal .....Na Yo-robber man
Reporting for Name Checkers Association Niger Delta Creeks
[/size]

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by whitemask(m): 12:45pm On Jun 26, 2016
I will appreciate if the NPF explain how the hood-winker was apprehended, Of course they wouldn't because other fraudsters will be one step ahead of their dumb ass. When I watch crime shows on Investigation Discovery (DSTV), all I do is smh for the NPF.

NPF, dumber than the average civilians since 530BC.

7 Likes

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by ucee64(m): 12:46pm On Jun 26, 2016
wastes!!!! ur brother have done it again!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Sent My Victims To Prison In Togo - Fraduster Confesses (pics) by rhektor(m): 12:46pm On Jun 26, 2016
bigerboy200:
So many members of NCA from the south west chapters won't show face on this thread ohhh grin grin

grin grin grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Security Group Pours Pepper Into Sales Girls’ Private Parts / 28-year-old Man Stabbed To Death During Argument With Keke Rider In Otukpo / 22-yr-old Surrenders To Police After Killing Cousin Over Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.