Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,042 members, 7,825,308 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? (15203 Views)

Landlady Allegedly Fixes Sharp Iron Nails In Front Of Her House In Lagos (photos / Lagos Landlady Fixed Nails In Front Of Her House To Hinder Unwelcome Guests / My Landlady And Nepa Bill Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by calitobrigonte(m): 11:10am On Jun 28, 2016
My rent expired on the 31st of May 2016. I have been away for sometime. So I went to move my things on the 26th of June 2016. I met a chain and padlock at my apartment. She hasn't given me an eviction notice! Honestly, I have not paid the electricity bills for about 4-5 months because there was an outstanding debt of 25k on the meter accrued by the last tenant, which the power company insisted must be cleared first. I plan to give her what I owe! Is she right to lock the apartment? What course of redress should I take? Pls if u must insult or call me names, make sure you also give a constructive advice. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by UndisputedBosom(m): 11:14am On Jun 28, 2016
Ur story is not comprehensive enough.,

so i reserve my comment.....

3 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by calitobrigonte(m): 11:43am On Jun 28, 2016
UndisputedBosom:
Ur story is not comprehensive enough.,

so i reserve my comment.....

Let me b concise. My rent expired last month. I went to move my things on Sunday evening (2 days ago) but I met the chain and padlock dat u see in d pix. All I owe is about 6k 4 electricity bill. Is it proper 4 her 2 lock d apartment? What should I do?

Note that she didn't give any eviction notice!

2 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by ugo99: 12:02pm On Jun 28, 2016
If your rent expired last month why didn't you pack out when your rent expired, you knew you were moving out and yet was still waiting for quit notice. So because you are away, you deserve free rent abi ? Biko
Its tenant like you wey get fault for hand, and then you make landlord look evil. the issue of the meter, why didnt you get this sorted all along

Also your story no complete.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by brag3: 12:11pm On Jun 28, 2016
Some more infomation needed here.
Are you saying that your rent expired since end of May 2016 and you have had not communication with your land lady?
I am pretty sure that before rent expired some communication must have occured. I doubt she will just lock you out without any prior communication but I may be wrong.

The picture you paint looks a bit fussy.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by pato231(m): 12:56pm On Jun 28, 2016
The likes of you make the sweat of landlords and landladies almost go in vain. You planned moving so why did you not do so before the expiration of your bill? Also you refuse paying Electricity bill, alas you complain about the previous tenant owing 25k. Won't your own bill have doubled that existing bill. This is simple, play her the rent and all bills owed. When you become a landlord, pray you don't get treated this way.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by UndisputedBosom(m): 4:05pm On Jun 28, 2016
calitobrigonte:

Let me b concise. My rent expired last month. I went to move my things on Sunday evening (2 days ago) but I met the chain and padlock dat u see in d pix. All I owe is about 6k 4 electricity bill. Is it proper 4 her 2 lock d apartment? What should I do?

Sorry if i may still seem "inqusitive", but what i find diffcult in understanding is the fact that "you went to move your things" (as in pack out or what) when she did not even give you eviction notice, that is what i need clearification on.

Beside 6k that you owe her can not warrant her to lock the door to your house with chain.

So there is something you're not telling us here

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by emmaak2(m): 6:29am On Jun 29, 2016
..... cool
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Lexusgs430: 6:30am On Jun 29, 2016
Go to rent tribunal/ court. The landlord would regret this action

2 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by kayojosephy(m): 6:30am On Jun 29, 2016
This is complicated, you both need to discuss this and settle it...

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Letsgoandfuck(m): 6:30am On Jun 29, 2016
A guy was advised to build his house her. He did, now he's happy.
Go and build yours too

6 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by iamdotune(m): 6:32am On Jun 29, 2016
Tell her Fashola is the minister for housing.. She has no right cheesy

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by eleojo23: 6:32am On Jun 29, 2016
Hmmm..OP, you are at fault too.

Did you tell her that you will be away till the 26th of June knowing that your rent will expire in May?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by dammytosh: 6:32am On Jun 29, 2016
Engage her first.

Report to the police and remove the lock.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by omusiliyu(m): 6:33am On Jun 29, 2016
Some landlords and landladies behave as if they will take their buildings along with them when leaving this world.

BTW, OP patronize us, we can borrow you money.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by iamdotune(m): 6:35am On Jun 29, 2016
veekid:
She must be Yoruba
I see you everywhere
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by tunapawizzy: 6:36am On Jun 29, 2016
Please let's be analytical n logical here....u paid phcn bill untill about 4 to 5 months ago........u stopped paying becos of 25K backlog....but the outstanding 25K accrued by d last tenant (as u claim) was there when u paid bills for about 7 months before u stopped paying. How come it's towards d end of ur tenancy agreement that u deem it fit to stop paying because of d outstanding. Besides it doesn't make logical sense to me that u stopped paying ur bills cos of outstanding debt. Why not pay ur own bills at least there s a column that shows current charge on d bill.......oga tell us some more things....don't blame d landlord abi u expect her to watch u pack out so ur own 6months bill will be added to d last irresponsible person dat left 25K for him?
Ur landlord is a very wise woman and I commend her for taking this kind of proactive measure

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by eleojo23: 6:37am On Jun 29, 2016
veekid:
She must be Yoruba
The OP did not ask us to help him identify the tribe his landlady is from, so your comment is off-point.

21 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Nobody: 6:39am On Jun 29, 2016
calitobrigonte:

have you contacted the landlady? what did she say?
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by zazua: 6:40am On Jun 29, 2016
Bros. Pls just walk upto d landlady n discuss wt her bc I don't believe she will lock up ur flat for just 6000.do u know what people may have said to her abt u? Pls see. Trouble no go
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by sulakishop(m): 6:40am On Jun 29, 2016
You should have indicated your interest to pack out and bargain for few weeks stay. Simple dialogue would have solved this problem. However, try consult a property lawyer for help. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by telemapreye1(f): 6:40am On Jun 29, 2016
calitobrigonte:
My rent expired on the 31st of May 2016. I have been away for sometime. So I went to move my things on the 26th of June 2016. I met a chain and padlock at my apartment. She hasn't given me an eviction notice! Honestly, I have not paid the electricity bills for about 4-5 months because there was an outstanding debt of 25k on the meter accrued by the last tenant, which the power company insisted must be cleared first. I plan to give her what I owe! Is she right to lock the apartment? What course of redress should I take? Pls if u must insult or call me names, make sure you also give a constructive advice. Thank you.
You didn't pay electricity bill for 5months but you were enjoying the light...
I don't pity this kind of tenants, coming here to seek pity but we all know that you must haven done something wrong.
Go and pay up your debts.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by nigerianngo: 6:41am On Jun 29, 2016
Your rent expired on the 31st of May.
You went to pick your things the 26th of June.

Between the 31st of May and the 26th of June did you pay rent or communicate with her. I think she is right to lock the apartment.

You should have made an agreement with your landlord that you would be coming later (26th of June) to pick your things.

Solution: speak with your landlord and let her know why you did not completely pack out on the 31st of May. If your reasons are good, I'm sure she will understand.

6 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by diportivo: 6:43am On Jun 29, 2016
She has seen the handwriting on the wall

That u will come like a thief in the night and move ur things.... And leave the outstanding NEPA bill unpaid tongue

Same thing the previous occupant did

Go and settle ur bill....cos if u were actually willing to,u wld av gone to her first after noticing d padlock and not nairaland..... undecided

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by tonio2wo: 6:48am On Jun 29, 2016
Did u explain to her or tell her to give u time to pay or move out after ur rent was due?
Where u paying ur current light bill? Or u haven't had light for d 4-5 months u owe?

If you did not do any of this, then she has d right to do what she did.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Skain(m): 6:48am On Jun 29, 2016
Some landlords sha...
How much does she want to collect for 1month now, she should even be happy you're moving out after just 1month.

Op go and meet her and explain your situation with her she might pity you afterall.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Nobody: 6:53am On Jun 29, 2016
calitobrigonte:

If you had taken time to read your tenancy agreement you wld have noticed a clause in in stipulating that at in the event you intend to move out of the said apartment a minimum of a month notice should be given to your landlord or the proprietors of the housee before the expiration of your rent.

That wld have saved you this embarrassment now.

However after all said, seek an audience with your landlord and try to redress the situation.

However, positively seek out to become a landlord of your own with as little as 100k monthly, contact me for details.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Slymonster(m): 6:53am On Jun 29, 2016
One thing is that I like your honesty,some will not say the truth of why they lock up there home but OBOI go and pay ur debt.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Transcorp Building Intact, The Building Beside It Was The One Affected / Affordable Modern House Plans/designs By Kenoman / 4 Bedroom Duplex At Agege, Design & Constructed By Archaran Construction Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.