Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,804 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:35 PM

See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? (15180 Views)

Landlady Allegedly Fixes Sharp Iron Nails In Front Of Her House In Lagos (photos / Lagos Landlady Fixed Nails In Front Of Her House To Hinder Unwelcome Guests / My Landlady And Nepa Bill Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by specialpolice: 7:55am On Jun 29, 2016
lol!!! guy, abeg, no murder me with jokes!!!! for the record, u should paste it on his door just for the record!!!!
nextstep:

And when the tenant disappears without a trace for who-knows-how-long... who do you serve the quit notice? At least now the tenant is forced to say "hello" instead of silently clearing all his things out like the previous guy...
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Paentera(m): 8:02am On Jun 29, 2016
linearity:
By law, she can not eject you without a valid order from the rent tribunal.

Until that happens, she can't lock you out or padlock your gate as you are still the legally recognized owner of the house.

You can break the locks and move your things and she will not have any legal cause of action, but she might want to start a physical altercation if she walks in before you finish moving your things or if someone informs her and she comes around.

Right now, she is in violation of the law by locking you out without due process of the law and she is also causing you undue hardship by denying you access to you properties, look for a charge and bail lawyer, put small something in their pocket and they will write her a strongly worded letter to give you access to the house within 48hrs, else she will be sued and if she refuses, sue her and bring her to court and make sure you ask for damages and award.

You will end up not paying the light bill or June and July rent, and in addition to that, she will end up paying you to kill the case.

BTW: You are in the wrong for not taking care of your responsibilities, but the Landlord should have followed the right legal process...two wrongs does make it right.

Oga counsel, I pray same type of tenant befalls you soon and that they successfully put your source of income into jeopardy. Amen.

Mr Tenant. Your landlady locked your door because she knows you will have to meet with her before taking the lock off. It is a simple strategy in the obvious situation that your past actions of non settlement of your bills has established a pattern she has dealt with before - accumulate the bills towards the end of the tenancy, then bail.

I cannot tell if she's been trying to reach out to you without success however locking your apartment up signifies a lack of communication between her and yourself for an extended period of time.

Ideally where you have any issues with your bills, approach your utility company to discuss and put your landlord, landlady or their agents in the know so they are aware of the moves you are making to sort these issues out. Ideally, where bills crystallize and go unpaid by tenants, it becomes the responsibility of the owners of the property, hence why madam landlady has taken this step.

Take responsibility and do the right thing - settle your outstanding bills.

3 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Paentera(m): 8:07am On Jun 29, 2016
thunder74:
I read some of the comments here and they are off the point or at best moral advice which is different from the position of our laws.

You did not tell us your location but let me assume that you are in Lagos. Your remedy is already captured by the Tenancy law which placed a fine of N250k or three months imprisonment on any landlord that uses self-help in ejecting his/her tenant.

If you have the money and the time, file a criminal complaint at the nearest police station for it to be taken up from there.

Your landlady should have served you six months notice and after its expiration, give you 7 days owner's intention to apply to recover possession. Then if you still refuse or ignore to give possession, she can then approach court to get a valid order to eject you. We should stop celebrate illegality on the alter of sentiment, whatever you permit will increase.

Kindly take note also that you will also pay for every other days you stay in the house after 31st of May and also pay for all the utility bills.

One woman tried this with one of my clients, she will never try it again in her life after I was through with her.

In the case where the poster never mentioned ejection, how did you come to that conclusion that this is the reason the gate was locked?
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by thunder74(m): 8:14am On Jun 29, 2016
Paentera:

In the case where the poster never mentioned ejection, how did you come to that conclusion that this is the reason the gate was locked?
What does it mean to lock one out of his apartment? Whether temporary or permanently, he has been temporarily ejected as at the time he was writing the complain. He can't enter, sleep in the house or take anything from his apartment. He was disposesed of his occupation at the time of the report.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Oblongata: 8:15am On Jun 29, 2016
hardbody:

The fact your rent expired does other warrant that constructive eviction. As it is, you are entitled to 7 seven days notice of owners intention to possess. Thereafter a writ of eviction filed, served on you and argued in court before you can be evicted by the court. You can dismantle that lock and access your house when you remain a statutory tenant until lawfully evicted. You can also go to court seek injunction restraining the landlord from unlawfully evicting you. Your lawyer should also seek declaration that you are entitled to requisite notice before eviction and the fact that such a lockout was a continuing breach of your rights to peaceful accommodation.

While at it, you should also pay in the outstanding bill into the court.

Be certain to protect yourself and additionally get the police involved by claiming threat to life. That way your landlord will be made to sign that he will be of good behaviour and will not take steps that will jeopardise your life.

Finally, be ready to move and make arrangements to procure alternative accommodation as you can no longer stay there after all these.

Alternatively, go and beg your landlord and pay him/her.
i was silently reading all comments hoping i would get to read a mature and reasonable comment and here i am...
most of the other comment (before urs) dont even know tenancy rules or agreement. sadly many people who have never even dreamt of renting a house all by themselves would still rush to contribute their stupid comments.

from what i deduce, the 25k that was on the light bill was from the previous tenant, it did not matter to this new tenant (probably) until now; when PHCN has decided to come convert their post meter into prepaid. and with this you need to offset the previous balance, either spread out monthly or outrightly.
it is wrong for the landlord to lock a tenant's house, without recourse to law. unless an agreement was not attained.
after 7 days notice of owners intention, op still has 6 months to use to search for alternative accommodation after being served quit notice.

my 2 cents.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by hardbody: 8:20am On Jun 29, 2016
Oblongata:
i was silently reading all comments hoping i would get to read a mature and reasonable comment and here i am...
most of the other comment (before urs) dont even know tenancy rules or agreement. sadly many people who have never even dreamt of renting a house all by themselves would still rush to contribute their stupid comments.

from what i deduce, the 25k that was on the light bill was from the previous tenant, it did not matter to this new tenant (probably) until now; when PHCN has decided to come convert their post meter into prepaid. and with this you need to offset the previous balance, either spread out monthly or outrightly.
it is wrong for the landlord to lock a tenant's house, without recourse to law. unless an agreement was not attained.
after 7 days notice of owners intention, op still has 6 months to use to search for alternative accommodation after being served quit notice.

my 2 cents.

I am humbled sir. Thank you.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by amazingspiderma: 8:20am On Jun 29, 2016
I can't get my head around the fact that you travelled,within that period your house rent expired. You didn't even bother to call your landlady before leaving or by phone after you left.
If that was a mistake, it was a an expensive one.
You can't win any case against her,let no one deceive you. You are clearly the offender here. You should find a good negotiator to find a middle ground.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Oblongata: 8:21am On Jun 29, 2016
thunder74:
I read some of the comments here and they are off the point or at best moral advice which is different from the position of our laws.

You did not tell us your location but let me assume that you are in Lagos. Your remedy is already captured by the Tenancy law which placed a fine of N250k or three months imprisonment on any landlord that uses self-help in ejecting his/her tenant.

If you have the money and the time, file a criminal complaint at the nearest police station for it to be taken up from there.

Your landlady should have served you six months notice and after its expiration, give you 7 days owner's intention to apply to recover possession. Then if you still refuse or ignore to give possession, she can then approach court to get a valid order to eject you. We should stop celebrate illegality on the alter of sentiment, whatever you permit will increase.

Kindly take note also that you will also pay for every other days you stay in the house after 31st of May and also pay for all the utility bills.

One woman tried this with one of my clients, she will never try it again in her life after I was through with her.
am happy with this comment, so we still have some mature people here on nairaland who know what they are saying (not some small kids rushing to comment without knowledge). in Nigeria landlady cannot kick you out without recourse to court, and quit notice (which would still give the tenant 6 months to comply). thank you sir!!!
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 29, 2016
Hmmmmmm
Do unto others o!
Thats all I will say
The people shouting sue, lawyer, live rent free etc will one day become landlords and they will know how it feels & is not a curse, some people will never be landlords because of the way they have lived their lives. Its just Karma.

Anyway landlords are getting clever too
In my city, 20 people are clamouring over one property but by the time they have brought employer reference, guarantor, credit check, immigration status check and other documents only a few will pass the stringent checks.
Landlords are now only selecting the best tenants and so there are homeless people all over the place & I don't blame the landlords one bit.

OP go and speak to your landlord. Apologise for leaving your property in her/his house rent free for the month and agree to pay the rent for the one month that your stuff has been in her house and move on.
Its a very small world and you never know when/where/how you can meet again.

3 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by aalangel(f): 8:25am On Jun 29, 2016
calitobrigonte:
My rent expired on the 31st of May 2016. I have been away for sometime. So I went to move my things on the 26th of June 2016. I met a chain and padlock at my apartment. She hasn't given me an eviction notice! Honestly, I have not paid the electricity bills for about 4-5 months because there was an outstanding debt of 25k on the meter accrued by the last tenant, which the power company insisted must be cleared first. I plan to give her what I owe! Is she right to lock the apartment? What course of redress should I take? Pls if u must insult or call me names, make sure you also give a constructive advice. Thank you.

My dear, according to Land Law which I was very good in in school, you still have up to six months grace in that house after your rent expired. You can send me a mail to link you with a good lawyer.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 29, 2016
aalangel:

My dear, according to Land Law which I was very good in in school, you still have up to six months grace in that house after your rent expired. You can send me a mail to link you with a good lawyer.

Well done
Are you a home owner?
Would you be happy if someone lived rent free for 6 whole months in a property that you used your sweat and hard work to build?
Please be honest

Most landlords are decent people and if you behave, they have no reason to react
Usually its the tenant that moves the goalpost and that causes a reaction from the landlord

What if this landlord was expecting to use this rent to pay his/her kids school fees?
or is a pensioner whose pension has not been paid and is relying on this rent to eat?

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Peacefulgold(m): 8:32am On Jun 29, 2016
If u meant moving ur tins as in packing out den I advice u to break d key and pack ur tins out...but if u want to pay ur rent and continue staying den approach ur landlord..settle ur debts and get d house reopened or betastill if u don't have d money to pay now but u still have intention of staying den go thrash tins out wit her and tel her wen u will pay,I believe she will understand,I believe she locked it cos she didn't see u around and there was no way to communicate wit u or even give u d notice,so she believes seeing ur house under lock and chain will make u come to her...

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Paentera(m): 8:43am On Jun 29, 2016
thunder74:

What does it mean to lock one out of his apartment? Whether temporary or permanently, he has been temporarily ejected as at the time he was writing the complain. He can't enter, sleep in the house or take anything from his apartment. He was disposesed of his occupation at the time of the report.

I can bet that you can't prove in court that he was ejected from his accommodation.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by eleko1: 8:55am On Jun 29, 2016
U are @ fault here.Go and meet the Landlady,apologise to her and pay ur Nepa bill.I believe she locked up ur flat due to Nepa bill not house rent.She locked the flat so dat u too won't disappeared into thin air. Dnt follow the advice of those irresponsible touts" break the Padlock/contact a lawyer" they won't be there with u for ur case. Nor bi Lawyer build her house for her. Be a gentleman,do the needful Abeg

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by basadenet: 8:59am On Jun 29, 2016
Since you are not given a quit notice, why do you want to move your things? From look of things, it seems you wanted to play a fast one on your landlady but she was faster than you. My advise, if you have any outstanding, sit together with her to resolve it. Now as for locking your apartment. It is illegal, so report to the police. And Make sure you keep the scene picture for evidence in future.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Patented: 9:27am On Jun 29, 2016
Is it proper to overstay your rent?

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by pato231(m): 9:29am On Jun 29, 2016
thunder74:

I only offered pro bono professional advise. I was not advising him as his pastor ma. Check my signature.
Are you a Landlord?. When you do become one if not yet one, i hope you would not mind this same scenario playing out at yoir property with you being at the receiving end. These properties are investments for crying out loud, just the way we complain when our salary dont get paid. Home owners need their money to survive.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by olaremint(m): 9:35am On Jun 29, 2016
Call this no and let us use the law to teach your landlady a lesson, 08066451167.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by pato231(m): 9:36am On Jun 29, 2016
specialpolice:
that's what u get when old-pretending-young hag happens to be your landlady. so i suggest u break the lock asap and move your tins!!!! like this, i owe my landlord by tomorrow 4months (48k) though hoping to pay by weekend but if he try such, hmmmm, well, he know that the outcome wont favour him!!!!!!
Channel this your gra gra into acquiring a parcel of land and building at least one room on it, only then can you flex your muscle and brag about possessing super hero or extra terrestial powers to deal with your landlord after defaulting in paying rent. Shame Shame Shame

3 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by thunder74(m): 9:50am On Jun 29, 2016
pato231:

Are you a Landlord?. When you do become one if not yet one, i hope you would not mind this same scenario playing out at yoir property with you being at the receiving end. These properties are investments for crying out loud, just the way we complain when our salary dont get paid. Home owners need their money to survive.
As I write this, I have many tenants that are owing rent and I did not kill them but only showed understanding. Some pleaded for more time that the country is hard. More so, the guy's tenancy and renewal was only due less than a month. The place was locked up before the arrival of the guy. We should not encourage lawlessness, we have procedures and that should be followed.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by pato231(m): 9:55am On Jun 29, 2016
Oblongata:
am happy with this comment, so we still have some mature people here on nairaland who know what they are saying (not some small kids rushing to comment without knowledge). in Nigeria landlady cannot kick you out without recourse to court, and quit notice (which would still give the tenant 6 months to comply). thank you sir!!!
Daddy mature,Nobody here supports his apartment being locked but lets face it he was about to run with the rent and electricity bill, this would have doubled the existing one owed by the previous tenant.
Same way tou have shops to sell wares and turn over profit, this is exactly the same way these home owners need the rent to recoup their investment. When and if you do own a property, please let your tenants live rent free but until then advise your cohort to pay up his bills and clear any outstanding.

2 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by pato231(m): 10:02am On Jun 29, 2016
thunder74:

As I write this, I have many tenants that are owing rent and I did not kill them but only showed understanding. Some pleaded for more time that the country is hard. More so, the guy's tenancy and renewal was only due less than a month. The place was locked up before the arrival of the guy. We should not encourage lawlessness, we have procedures and that should be followed.
I will never support lawlessness, but sometimes have to go the way of morals to set things straight and right.
Good you said your tenants pleaded with you for more time and you oblidged. I do not think he did that, also the crux of the lock up might even be the Electricity bill because she would not want the same thing that happened with the previous tenant repeat itself.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by alujonjonkijon: 10:02am On Jun 29, 2016
my brother,the supreme court of Nigeria however recognizes the right of your landlady to use some other means means to get you out of the premises.

NNAEMEKA AGU J.S.C. in the case of African Petroleum Ltd v. Owodunni (1991) 8 NWLR (Pt.210)391 endorsed he landlord's lawful act of forcible entry, when a legal tenants hold over the premises beyond the contractual tenure by this statement
"Now, a tenancy at sufferance is one in which the original grant by the landlord to the tenant has expired, usually by effluxion of time, but the tenant holds over the premises. In such a case the tenant's right to occupation of the premises to which he had come in upon a lawful title by grant is at an end but, although he has no more title as such, he continues in possession of the land or premises without any further grant or agreement by the landlord on whom the right to the reversion resides. One necessary pre-condition of such a tenancy is that the tenant must have come upon the land or premises lawfully. Though he no longer, strictly, has an estate, the law will deem his right to possession to have continued on the same terms and conditions as the original grant till possession has been duly and properly wrested from him by the landlord or reversioner. It is a form of tenancy which, as it were, depends upon the law and not the agreement of the parties and can only be determined either by the landlord's lawful act of forcible entry, where it is still possible, or by a proper action for ejectment after due notices as prescribed by law."

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Arabs999: 10:07am On Jun 29, 2016
calitobrigonte:
My rent expired on the 31st of May 2016. I have been away for sometime. So I went to move my things on the 26th of June 2016. I met a chain and padlock at my apartment. She hasn't given me an eviction notice! Honestly, I have not paid the electricity bills for about 4-5 months because there was an outstanding debt of 25k on the meter accrued by the last tenant, which the power company insisted must be cleared first. I plan to give her what I owe! Is she right to lock the apartment? What course of redress should I take? Pls if u must insult or call me names, make sure you also give a constructive advice. Thank you.

... The wisest thing for u to do is to find a way to settle with ur landlady. Otherwise, ur problem and unnecessary expenses will increase.

2 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by pato231(m): 10:11am On Jun 29, 2016
olaremint:
Call this no and let us use the law to teach your landlady a lesson, 08066451167.
All this power and connection, you should be a Minister or Ambassador...lol

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Compliant(m): 10:22am On Jun 29, 2016
Skain:
Some landlords sha...
How much does she want to collect for 1month now, she should even be happy you're moving out after just 1month.

Op go and meet her and explain your situation with her she might pity you afterall.

pity what ? if i am the owner of the house , i will arrest him immediately i set my eyes on him

op is a trouble maker from his post for sure

rent expired on 31st of May 2016 and went to move his things on 26th of June 2016 WITHOUT INFORMING THE LANDLADY ?

LANDLADY IS 1000% RIGHT TO DO THAT

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by alujonjonkijon: 10:25am On Jun 29, 2016
the
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by cityAdventures: 10:35am On Jun 29, 2016
Some landlords wicked sha. My rent expired dec 15, 2014 and i stayed till begining of june dis montg. And my annual rent was 1m plus d half year i stayed for this year.

Yet i packed quietly after a negotiated settlement wit landlord on hw he will get his balance of rent.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Oblongata: 10:57am On Jun 29, 2016
pato231:

Daddy mature,Nobody here supports his apartment being locked but lets face it he was about to run with the rent and electricity bill, this would have doubled the existing one owed by the previous tenant.
Same way tou have shops to sell wares and turn over profit, this is exactly the same way these home owners need the rent to recoup their investment. When and if you do own a property, please let your tenants live rent free but until then advise your cohort to pay up his bills and clear any outstanding.
pls i did not quote you, and from your comment you lack objectivity. you are talking from the landlord's perspective and i am talking of the real world. that is the reality and law out there. the rent owed is just 1 month and from all indication, the light bill owed is by previous tenant; he just owes 6k. please mr immature how can sum1 run away from 1 month owed rent? (where people way dey owe 1 year sef still dey kampe)? the law supports tenants in Nigeria, and before you start sentiments about the landlord , go and make your research on tenancy contract (google is ur friend)and make meaningful contribution or ask your uncles, thanks.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by lakefist(m): 11:02am On Jun 29, 2016
You need to take the matter to Police.She doesn't have the right to lock you outside for whatever reason. Even if your rent expired she can still give you 3months or maximum 6 months to get things in order before moving out. That is what the law states. Abeg no mind all these f00ls still eating in their parents house.

Report the case to Police asap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Asphalt And Bitumen Supply Per Tonne And Road and drainage construction / Uncompleted Two Wing Duplex With (C Of O ) For Sale.(pictures) / Transcorp Building Intact, The Building Beside It Was The One Affected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.