Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. (15612 Views)

4 Attitudes That Can Increase Your Chances Of Landing The Job / What's The Time Limit For Getting A + Feedback From A Company After Interview / Please Assess My Self-constructed CV And Pls Give Me A Feedback On Its Quality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 29, 2016
To get a feedback after applying for a job online is not the most difficult thing on earth, but of course it's not the easiest.

Allow me share with you how I have applied online and interviewed without knowing anyone at some decent companies.

Procter & Gamble, Aroish, General Electric, Maersk, Consultants Collaborative Partnership, Transport services Limited, Sifax, Sevan construction, Concept Group, First Freight Logistics, Accessbank, NBC, EPCM, Weam and Company Limited, and Baker Hughes are all companies I have applied online and Interviewed. So please loose that Nigerian mentality.

Oh boy...it's quite a long list

Interviewing is never is never in itself an achievement, getting an offer is! Let's keep that in one hand wink.
I thought there was a need to create this topic as many complain on daily basis how they have applied for a thousand (1,000) jobs and gotten no feedback.

Back to the topic.

Like I said, to get a feedback is not the most difficult thing on earth, and you don't necessarily need luck.

Below are five (5) things you need to get feedback more often.

1. A good CV

Yes, you need a good CV content and format. Forget the lies Jobberman and many CV Review platforms have filled you with, they are all trying to survive (and maybe take advantage of you.....LOL). Emphasis should be placed on your CV content not format. When you give your CV to CV Reviewers, they check it, make some corrections, additions and they present you with a CV sharper than a 2-edge sword. A CV that will conquer the world? No.

I am not saying your CV should look horrible, all I'm saying is that a good layout, font, simplicity, grammar and content is all you need. Remember, by a good CV I mean good CV Content!

The second twist is this, a good CV is always relative when applying for a Job. A good CV for Job a may be an horrible CV for Job B.

Before you apply for a Job, you must read and understand the job requirements. This is very important because it is with this that you will be able to understand who and what skill set the employer/recruiter wants.

If you apply for a Graduate Trainee position at say Julius Berger and NLNG with the same CV, you just ruined your chances cry

So my advice, get a good CV Format (edit the format if you have to) and stick to it. Focus more attention to adding value to your CV. It's that simple.

2. A better Cover

When you apply for a JOB, The chances of your CV or application getting opened/reviewed at all is very low. Why?

You cannot come and kill the employer. SIMPLE.

A recruiter hoping to recruit say 2 People may at the end of the First day of advertising receive a thousand applications! shocked. To screen the many applications become rather unnecessary. It's gospel truth.

So employers are quick to throw your CV to the trashcan once they can't find a cover. It's that Bad. To keep yourself in the race, try and follow all application instructions. Always send your CV with a Cover except stated otherwise.

3. Speed

I always say something. As Job seekers, we have come to a time where getting a Job is in itself a Job. You have to take that Job seriously, unless you have other plans.

If you have some millions in your account or say your dad is the MD of Shell, you really can't afford to be "passively" looking for a job. It will cost you BIG. Yes it will.

It's unbelievable how Laziness has made many graduates passive job seekers. You tell them a Firm is recruiting and they reluctantly apply some days or a week later. Some wouldn't even bother. It's so unbelievably popular.

Guys, let's take our Job search more serious. Be the first to know when a firm is recruiting, be the First to apply! Unless you have other plans!

4. The right Job Boards

This is probably the most important point of all as most of the Job boards you surf may have been hijacked by fraudsters.

In my opinion, all the others are learner. I may be right I may be wrong, just be sure your choice of Job board(s) is(are) good.

5. LinkedIn

If you are not on (or using) LinkedIn, you are missing a great deal. LinkedIn is only the world's largest professional networking platform.

You won't get an offer the minute you sign up. It takes a little more than that...LOL

On LinkedIn you establish contacts, join conversations, meet people, share thought and all that. Plus you also get to apply for jobs, get first hand info from Recruiters, send direct messages to your contacts.....and so on. The possibilities are just there.

So you may want to try LinkedIn, it's worth it.

There you go 5 things you need to get feedback more often
A quick recap.
1. A good CV
2. A better Cover
3. Speed
4. The right Job Boards
5. LinkedIn

https://taiwolusol./2016/06/29/5-things-you-need-to-apply-for-a-job/

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by davide470(m): 11:29am On Jun 29, 2016
FTC. cheesy

SHOUTOUTS!

To Mr. Campos, my Chemistry teacher in High School who made sure i was versatile in Economics and Sexuality grin

To "The Master", Prof. S.N. Omorodion, Foremost Professor of Chemical Engineering.. This is for you Sir grin

To Iya Taofeek and Iya "Amala-SkyeBank-Bodija", women who always prayed for me back then in IB (NYSC) to get a job.. wink..

To Seun, baba how far na. The economy ain't smiling for your brother grin

To everyone, it's not easy to be FTC.

Now back to the topic, these 5 clever steps actually works.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Stevostical(m): 1:12pm On Jun 29, 2016
That's a good one, STC. I will be back to give my shout outs like Dave said.
Tent pitched. Caveat Emptor!

CC: All Joblanders.

1 Like

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by slaknoah(m): 10:21am On Jul 01, 2016
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Dottore: 10:22am On Jul 01, 2016
Though all these are good, I know many who had gotten well paying jobs without any of those.

5 Likes

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Evergreen4(m): 10:22am On Jul 01, 2016
Nice one op. Above all, God and connection works faster

4 Likes

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by abumeinben(m): 10:25am On Jul 01, 2016
Many of these .... and more.

There are people who do all these and more....yet nothing so far.

What could be the remedy?

Obviously the more problem is job availability, and then less who you know.

Like a case where a lawyer is chosen to occupy the position of Head of Electrical Dept in a country instead of an Electrical Engineer.
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by serverconnect(m): 10:25am On Jul 01, 2016
i will be going for interview tomorrow on hotel, i need interview tips, pls.
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 01, 2016
good..
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Olasco93: 10:26am On Jul 01, 2016
smiley
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Daslim180(m): 10:26am On Jul 01, 2016
Ok
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Guyman02: 10:28am On Jul 01, 2016
Nigeria seems like the only place where you apply for an OIL company job, get called for an interview and you go there wearing your best suit that you have spent your last N500 to dry-clean. You spend many nights memorizing the questions you think they will ask you and how you will answer them, you imagine yourself as an employee of shell and what you can do with over a million Naira salary every month.

On the d-day, you get to the venue early and you are invited to meet the interviewers and the first thing you hear is 'this job we are offering you is more than OIL company, otio! you will become your own BOSS and money will work for you and not you working for money, they tell you that the richest man in the world Bill Gates said that the best job a man can do is NETWORK business and that is why GNLD is giving you this opportunity to become a distributor of our product, you will grow your up line and become a Diamond distributor and you have a chance of being rewarded with a BMW X7 with an apartment at Banana Island and holiday trip to Hawaii''

While they are still talking and telling you about the beauty of GNLD, Forever Living product, Alliance in motion etc, na so bell go dey ring for your head and you will be asking yourself, na who I go sell this products to, is it to my papa? but the man just called me to send money yesterday, is it to my next door neighbour, ah, the guy just come borrow me from me to bail his wife out from hospital.
How do I go home from this place, do I enter Keke or Okada which is cheaper, I never chop lunch and I am hungry, should I buy rice without meat for N100 if so will the balance be enough to take me home.
How did Oil company become GNLD or Forever Living Product?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by CHANNELStv2020: 10:28am On Jul 01, 2016
Guy for Nigeria with the best cv u are still jobless.

1 Like

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by mary60(f): 10:28am On Jul 01, 2016
sadTank u
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by ksstroud: 10:29am On Jul 01, 2016
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
smiley smiley smiley smiley
smiley smiley smiley
smiley smiley
smiley

TAIWOLUSOL ..........
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by ebonytarki(m): 10:29am On Jul 01, 2016
Nice one OP.....educative enough.....i'm on linkedin,bt neva really used it.now I knw beta hw 2 use it.
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by StepTwo: 10:30am On Jul 01, 2016
nice one
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by casttlebarbz(m): 10:30am On Jul 01, 2016
May God av mercy

1 Like

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by deymoh(m): 10:31am On Jul 01, 2016
cool
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 01, 2016
true, some idiotic friends I have who are always online on bbm nd twitter. will tell u dey didnt see d advert. how u go see am. ode

1 Like

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by epospiky(m): 10:32am On Jul 01, 2016
NOTED
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by MrLittleFinger1(m): 10:32am On Jul 01, 2016
More like what everybody now know....yet, they still mess it up.
God bless your heart; OP. Nice job.
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Nobody: 10:45am On Jul 01, 2016
Employee referral should come first.

1 Like

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 01, 2016
majekdom2:
Employee referral should come first.

I'm doing an article on that. Will copy you when it goes live.
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by ugoshevy(m): 10:58am On Jul 01, 2016
Guyman02:
Nigeria seems like the only place where you apply for an OIL company job, get called for an interview and you go there wearing your best suit that you have spent your last N500 to dry-clean. You spend many nights memorizing the questions you think they will ask you and how you will answer them, you imagine yourself as an employee of shell and what you can do with over a million Naira salary every month.

On the d-day, you get to the venue early and you are invited to meet the interviewers and the first thing you hear is 'this job we are offering you is more than OIL company, otio! you will become your own BOSS and money will work for you and not you working for money, they tell you that the richest man in the world Bill Gates said that the best job a man can do is NETWORK business and that is why GNLD is giving you this opportunity to become a distributor of our product, you will grow your up line and become a Diamond distributor and you have a chance of being rewarded with a BMW X7 with an apartment at Banana Island and holiday trip to Hawaii''

While they are still talking and telling you about the beauty of GNLD, Forever Living product, Alliance in motion etc, na so bell go dey ring for your head and you will be asking yourself, na who I go sell this products to, is it to my papa? but the man just called me to send money yesterday, is it to my next door neighbour, ah, the guy just come borrow me from me to bail his wife out from hospital.
How do I go home from this place, do I enter Keke or Okada which is cheaper, I never chop lunch and I am hungry, should I buy rice without mean for N100 if so will the balance be enough to take me home.
How did Oil company become GNLD or Forever Living Product?
Chief you are too much. You have made my day...you just described one of the worst days of my life before I got a job. After all the hustling...I got an Interview in PH. I did all these....and it seems as if na u even plan me sef. That day I almose get high BP. I just dey curse dem dat day dey swear 4 dem 4my mind. I almost cried

1 Like

Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by MVLOX(m): 11:00am On Jul 01, 2016
By cover do u mean cover letter?
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by bless2tom(m): 11:33am On Jul 01, 2016
nice one.....Op
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 01, 2016
MVLOX:
By cover do u mean cover letter?

Yes I mean a cover letter.
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 01, 2016
serverconnect:
i will be going for interview tomorrow on hotel, i need interview tips, pls.

Just be relaxed and calm.

Don't be tensed and don't talk too much. Just be yourself or at least pretend to be cool (if you're not).
Re: Job Application: 5 Clever steps to increase your Chances of a Feedback. by Emeka71(m): 11:46am On Jul 01, 2016
Good tutorial.

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Ways To Gain A Job Experience Before Your First Job / N-power What Date Did You Receive Your Last Payment / Should I Go For M.Sc Or A Level 12 Job In A Private University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.