Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,156 members, 7,845,810 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage (953 Views)

61-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 40 Years In Marriage. Photos / Six Ways Men Can Escape Poverty / Photos: 11 Bad Habits Of Children Caused By Their Parents Unknowingly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage by badohemmy(m): 9:41pm On Jun 29, 2016
By Igbekeleoluwa Salawu:
A man earns 20, 000 monthly. For no other reason
than the fact that he has turned thirty and some in
his age bracket are getting married, he begins to
thirst for marriage and children. Those around him
humour rather than undeceive him. ‘Go on,’ they egg
him on. ‘Maybe it is the orί (head/luck/destiny) of the
woman that will unlock the door of the wealth you
have been praying for. Besides, it’s not befitting you
raise children in your forties or fifties; that is when
they should have become mature enough to care for
you financially. Don’t you want to jẹun ọmọ before
you die?’
He gets married and the orί (head/luck/destiny) of
the woman gradually unlocks the door for three-five
children. When he laments, they console him, ‘Maybe
it’s the orί (heads/luck/destinies) of the children that
will unlock the door of the wealth you have been
praying for. He waits, salivating, and before long, the
orί (heads/luck/destinies) of the children unlock the
door to endless fees, bills and needs, from school
fees to foodstuffs, exam fees, wears and uncountably
more, and of course the 20, 000 could barely cater for
the foodstuffs alone.
One day, that man will kneel desperately in front of
his pastor who will arduously pray in a bid to cast out
a demon of poverty. If anything needs to be cast out,
it is planlessness, stupidity and bandwagonism (I
must do this because people around me are doing it).
Poverty is more often caused by this planless and
superstitious mentality.
Which is better: a poor but young father or a rich but
middle-aged father? Who will bless and who will curse
their parents: the children of the former or of the
latter?
Who says children born when the father is forty or
even fifty will not fare well? And who says children
born in poverty will eventually become financially well
off to take care of their parents?

http://karifest..co.id/2016/06/by-igbekeleoluwa-salawu-man-earns-20.html?m=1
Follow us on
Twitter @KARIFEST1

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage by pharmagba: 10:27pm On Jun 29, 2016
This is indeed a serious matter. If you are not a Nigerian and probably from the south west you may not understand
Re: How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage by badohemmy(m): 10:58pm On Jun 29, 2016
true talk, it is serious, but wetin South West get to do wt am? @Pharmagba
Re: How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage by pharmagba: 11:21pm On Jun 29, 2016
badohemmy:
true talk, it is serious, but wetin South West get to do wt am? @Pharmagba

This superstitious and erroneous belief is common there. I even remember my situation because I'm not married, a nurse whose mother asked my dad to look for job for her was called one day that a work is available.
The work according to my dad is to nurse his son and care for him that the blessing comes when a man is married

I have been privileged to travel round Nigeria and there is no where I her this more
Re: How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage by onegig(m): 6:13am On Jun 30, 2016
pharmagba:

This superstitious and erroneous belief is common there. I even remember my situation because I'm not married, a nurse whose mother asked my dad to look for job for her was called one day that a work is available.
The work according to my dad is to nurse his son and care for him that the blessing comes when a man is married

I have been privileged to travel round Nigeria and there is no where I her this more

...stop making statements without fact. Poverty induced by making bad decisions based on societal pressures cuts across all nationalities and race. I guess to you the word rat race is a word coined in the SW?

The op has stated the basic fact that cultural and societal pressure is keeping most in poverty and it seems like a cycle. Just check societies with large populations world over and you would discover that they have the most level of poverty. The reason is not far fetched. Kids are huge liabilities and when you have them unplanned and without backup funds and insurance you would be wrecked financially and swim in poverty.

Any sane mind would know that if you have an income of 20k and someone gives you a G wagon that takes 50k to fuel per month, 100k per month to service and other associated unexpected expenses; you would run bankrupt before the end of 30days

The old ways of having lots of kids should be over by now as it does not give you any financial advantage in the society like in the past where they can help you in the farm and thus cut down labour costs and generate more income. Kids are very huge liabilities and if you're not buoyant enough trust me you would transfer that poverty to the next generation.

However, i slightly disagree with the opinion that young people shouldnt be encourage to get hitched. We should infact encourage them to marry but not with these our mindset of getting knocked up immediately and giving births to offspring when you aren't steady on your own. The premise of encouraging them stems from the fact of preventing them from engaging in immoral acts and the understanding that two good heads is better than one.

Wealth is created when you carve a part of your income and invest it into profitable ideals. It is easier for two people to pool resources together and make it a success than for one person to go it alone. A man who's married would definitely cut his cost in terms of feeding as it is more cheaper to cook healthy food at home than to buy unhealthy 1500 food from a retail outlet. He also has more productive time chasing other things instead of being bogged down by daily house chores as this responsibility is "SHARED" with his partner. Same way a lady who is married would not need to pay for yearly house rents, utility bills and other since she shares one with someone and these freed up funds can be used to invest in something and generate more income and thus MAY spun wealth. But the society comes in again and demands elaborate wedidings which infact most times set up the young couple to fail even before they get a chance to starting their lives.

5 Likes

Re: How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage by Nobody: 7:31am On Jun 30, 2016
true. family and societal pressure is rift. they wud tell a wive whose is a victim of domestic violence not to leave
Re: How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage by vague: 7:49am On Jun 30, 2016
If Nigerian women start looking for well off guys you will make another thread again? undecided
Re: How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage by pharmagba: 8:30am On Jun 30, 2016
onegig:

...stop making statements without fact. Poverty induced by making bad decisions based on societal pressures cuts across all nationalities and race. I guess to you the word rat race is a word coined in the SW?

The op has stated the basic fact that cultural and societal pressure is keeping most in poverty and it seems like a cycle. Just check societies with large populations world over and you would discover that they have the most level of poverty. The reason is not far fetched. Kids are huge liabilities and when you have them unplanned and without backup funds and insurance you would be wrecked financially and swim in poverty.

Any sane mind would know that if you have an income of 20k and someone gives you a G wagon that takes 50k to fuel per month, 100k per month to service and other associated unexpected expenses; you would run bankrupt before the end of 30days

The old ways of having lots of kids should be over by now as it does not give you any financial advantage in the society like in the past where they can help you in the farm and thus cut down labour costs and generate more income. Kids are very huge liabilities and if you're not buoyant enough trust me you would transfer that poverty to the next generation.

However, i slightly disagree with the opinion that young people shouldnt be encourage to get hitched. We should infact encourage them to marry but not with these our mindset of getting knocked up immediately and giving births to offspring when you aren't steady on your own. The premise of encouraging them stems from the fact of preventing them from engaging in immoral acts and the understanding that two good heads is better than one.

Wealth is created when you carve a part of your income and invest it into profitable ideals. It is easier for two people to pool resources together and make it a success than for one person to go it alone. A man who's married would definitely cut his cost in terms of feeding as it is more cheaper to cook healthy food at home than to buy unhealthy 1500 food from a retail outlet. He also has more productive time chasing other things instead of being bogged down by daily house chores as this responsibility is "SHARED" with his partner. Same way a lady who is married would not need to pay for yearly house rents, utility bills and other since she shares one with someone and these freed up funds can be used to invest in something and generate more income and thus MAY spun wealth. But the society comes in again and demands elaborate wedidings which infact most times set up the young couple to fail even before they get a chance to starting their lives.
I gave my opinion and you said I don't have facts
All this epistlle you wrote are they fact or your opinion?
The ops was trying to capture the paradox of our society in which I concur.
Re: How Poverty Is Caused In Marriage by ifyjohnson(f): 9:07am On Jun 30, 2016
onegig:

Well you have said it all. A lot of things need to be addressed in our society today. In short you have said it all

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Just Saw A Mother Stealing Her Daughter's Money. Should I Report It To Her? / It's Takes A Lot To Build A Successful Marriage.......... / Secret Control Over Your Marital Inadequacies...[ Direct Link]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.