Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,431 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano (44186 Views)

My Abuja – Kaduna Train Experience; A Sweet Bitter Pill - Man Recounts. Photos / Woman Prays For Grandson In Rivers, Washes His Head, Feet Ahead Of Visit To Kano / A Nairalander's Experiences On The Train From Port-Harcourt To Kano In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by elGrande001: 6:02pm On Jul 05, 2016
can I get a train from Ibadan to calabar?
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Emmaesty(f): 6:02pm On Jul 05, 2016
@ Hybeenoni. Hello, which one is better? Road or Train?
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by litaninja(m): 6:07pm On Jul 05, 2016
@OP: We use Diesel Locos on old tracks, I promise you, you can't move fast enough the the speed would cause blurriness.
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by SCHOOLDROPOUT(m): 6:07pm On Jul 05, 2016
hybeenoni:
So I decided to go by train to kano due to my bitter experience the last time I tried going to kano from Ibadan by road ( The Young Shall Grow Motors).

Enjoy

Please, Where's the station in Ibadan?
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 05, 2016
Lol!
KELVIN086:

Are you allowed to climb on top the train , like the way we see it in the movies.
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by gbenga4my(m): 6:10pm On Jul 05, 2016
yoged:
I once traveled by train from Ilorin to osogbo. Really worth the experience and there wasn't really much delayed . With my calculation , it was faster than ever boarding a bus from ilorin to osogbo due to nothing like hold up, police check point and so on.. but not sure I can withstand the long distance if it .
you are sighted oged, was that not 2013?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by AdaAnambra: 6:12pm On Jul 05, 2016
otokx:
Thank God for safe journey.
Nice one, good job you did
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jul 05, 2016
Impressive cool
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Sanchase: 6:19pm On Jul 05, 2016
What a third world country, 29 hours for this trip, this is a risk of human lives. You are lucky armed robbers didn't jump out from bush to attack.

I would rather go by foot.

8 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by emillionaire: 6:21pm On Jul 05, 2016
nice one
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by seyoops4u: 6:22pm On Jul 05, 2016
I want our government to improve this rail system. It would be smth nice if one can travel on holidays/weekends to other part of the country.

But, Iayam afraid the Government won't improve on it. Why, u may ask ?

They knw the problems of the country but they can't not help joor... If the rail system is effective, u'll agree with me that most people won't go to office with their cars (thereby not buying fuel ) - that's bad market for the oil sector(government).

And It faster....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by jesuspikinjp(m): 6:24pm On Jul 05, 2016
na wa ohh so na pen den still dey use write the train schedule long way to go but we go still reach there one day

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by hybeenoni: 6:41pm On Jul 05, 2016
jobgbemi:
How about feeding? was it provided or you pay by urself?

@ jogbemi u feed urself either by patronizing their restaurant or buying foods during stop overs.
Their restaurant try sha, coz u can get nicely prepared noodles, rice and swallow.
@ the bar, u can also get beer to cool urslf with their music, even though I don't drink, I spent some time there enjoying nice music.

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Adortem: 6:41pm On Jul 05, 2016
hybeenoni:
@ kaduna nw
Where exactly did you board the train in Ibadan? And can one get the ticket the day of travel?
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by hybeenoni: 6:42pm On Jul 05, 2016
[quote author=Sanchase post=47238549]What a third world country, 29 hours for this trip, this is a risk of human lives. You are lucky armed robbers didn't jump out from bush to attack.

I would rather go by foot.

@ sanchase, armed police were provided

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by hybeenoni: 6:45pm On Jul 05, 2016
Adortem:

Where exactly did you board the train in Ibadan? And can one get the ticket the day of travel?

@ Dugbe just opposite Nipost filling station, and yes u can ticket same day, but try do that b4 12noon b4 u r told that first class ticket is finished

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by whizqueen(f): 6:47pm On Jul 05, 2016
Eghosa1 comman share wink
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Kennykenty(m): 6:48pm On Jul 05, 2016
Intresting and educative post. I seriously love it even if it was....... , sorry my respect
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Adortem: 6:49pm On Jul 05, 2016
hybeenoni:

@ Dugbe just opposite Nipost filling station, and yes u can ticket same day, but try do that b4 12noon b4 u r told that first class ticket is finished
Thanks,would I get Abuja there?
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by hybeenoni: 6:51pm On Jul 05, 2016
[quote author=Emmaesty post=47238035]@ Hybeenoni. Hello, which one is better? Road or Train?

@ Emmaesty it depends on ur choice and urgency of ur travel.

If you considering speed, then road is better, but if it's for adventure, education and fun, then go by train.
Mind u, sometimes, passengers by road spend more than 30hrs by road when their bus get spoilt on the way, plus train gives you rest of mind.
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by hybeenoni: 7:00pm On Jul 05, 2016
Adortem:

Thanks,would I get Abuja there?

P Adortem, it doesn't stop at Abuja, rather, u cn stop at minna
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by danberg: 7:00pm On Jul 05, 2016
Thanks for this educative thread OP. A little disappointed though, my thinking was that there would be foldable/portable beds for 1st class passengers. That was what I was told by a NRC ticketing officer at their Ebutte Meta Terminus.

Why journey in a train for so long if there are no sleeper cabins/coaches for 1st class passengers at least?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by DisGuy: 7:03pm On Jul 05, 2016
Thanks for sharing @ hybeenoni

The govt will continue to fund and manage our railway for the foreseeable future as rail system is very capital intensive. the current set up is not viable for any businessman to invest in considering the stocks are old and dilapidated and routes are limited.

private management will probably help until the standard gauge (fast rail) are ready with more routes and more coaches

if any private company takes over now they will just be milking the govt whilst not investing their own money a bit like whats happening in the electricity sector- tariff increased x5. no smart meter. no light.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Adortem: 7:07pm On Jul 05, 2016
hybeenoni:

P Adortem, it doesn't stop at Abuja, rather, u cn stop at minna
Ok,do you think it is safer to travel by train than by road? Armed robbery attacks,terrorist etc what do you think?
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Lovine: 7:09pm On Jul 05, 2016
I hope there are secirtity operatives in case.....
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Lovine: 7:10pm On Jul 05, 2016
I hope there are security operatives in case.....
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by Highvotage: 7:10pm On Jul 05, 2016
@Op, does is mean that you would have spent like 25hours if there was no delay at all?
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by hybeenoni: 7:16pm On Jul 05, 2016
@ Danberg, yes there is portable and foldable bed as u said, it's in a different coach though not ours and mind you, that coach is more expensive than ours,
I prefer normal first class coach with just seat coz it affords me the opportunity of meeting new friends, gisting and watching movies from fellow passenger's laptop if you didn't carry urs along.

Hp u understand my little explanation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by hybeenoni: 7:20pm On Jul 05, 2016
@ Highvoltage, yea something like that.
Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by zealousB(m): 7:27pm On Jul 05, 2016
I understand that their are three classes on the Nigerian Train- the First Class Seater, the Sleeper and the Economy. Was it the first class seater that had air condition facility during your ride or the sleeper.Kindly reply because i intend to travel to Minna via Train and also share my experience with lovely Nairalanders

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Train Experience From Ibadan To Kano by hybeenoni: 7:30pm On Jul 05, 2016
@ ZealousB all first class coaches are fully air-conditioned including those with sleepers, that's a fact. It even got to a point that we has to plead with their staff to put off the AC coz the cold was too too much.
Just go with a cardigan if u intend to book first class coach.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ongoing Anambra International Airport City Project: 3-D / Austin Umweni: Hit-And-Run Driver Kills Popular Pharmacist In Edo (Photo) / Why I Dont Like Calling My Friends & Family In Nigeria - UK Based Lady (pic/vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.