Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,727 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? (16399 Views)

Onitsha, Nnewi, Others To Enjoy 16hrs Steady Electricity Daily -obiano / How Steady Electricity Will Change Our Behaviour Pattern And Culture / Steady Electricity.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by egobetatoday: 11:01am On Jul 02, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
Yes, as soon as terrorist stop vandalising pipeline.
as far as I 'm concerned they havent even done anything yet. Pls where are these people who call themselves NDA?

I heard about the recruitments in CBN.
i heard about the recruitments in FIRS.
I heard about the rectuitments in NIGERIAN PRISONS.
And more to come because we in CHANGE
Pls, pls and pls, NDA keep vandalising pipelines. We all need to join hands together with Buhari to bring this country to a halt quickly.

1 Like

Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by OjukwuWarBird: 11:08am On Jul 02, 2016
shamecurls:

Almost achieved what?

Stop telling lies please

Didn't electricity supply increase under Jonathan.? True or False
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by 0ubenji(m): 11:09am On Jul 02, 2016
Ofcuz itz very possible..nothing is impossible
It'll only be a possiblity tho...not a reality..
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by ghboy: 11:21am On Jul 02, 2016
actually it is possible but will it be done? my Ghana for instance had stable power. but reliance on the unpredictable hydro toppled with the connection of more towns to the national grid started our power woes. drastic and expensive thermal measures needed to be taken. luckily we discovered oil n gas with the later used to fuel some of the thermal plants. still not enough the government went extra by adopting short term measures buy purchasing 2 emergency power barges from turkey and some power generators from the middle east. one barge has been received and connected to the grid. currently Ghana has a generation capacity more than demand. however, the lights go off once in a while in the big cities due to inadequate gas or the shut down of plants for maintenance. more options like coal n wind are being considered. a little of solar and sea wave tech are being undertaken. the country wishes to be a net exporter of power by 2020! However all these came at a cost. subsidies on utility tariffs have been removed and an increase in power tariffs in January went up about 58%! the average Ghanaian cannot bear the hustle. at certain places water n electricity bills are higher than rent.
It possible in Nigeria especially when you have so much gas to power thermal plants
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by mrvitalis(m): 11:31am On Jul 02, 2016
crixtex:

We will... if we start.putting death sentence on looters in the Law....not ds charade we are doing, dat looters will forfeit 60% and anoda person will reloot...
Its a gradual step... and yes a lot of education to the masses about electricity and patriotism
Bro our capital expenditure is less than 10 billion dollars... So what are u saying
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 02, 2016
It's not rocket science, is it?
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by iamord(m): 11:40am On Jul 02, 2016
Africans are just lazy to a fault and have no grand vision. That's why all this matters arise... The money being stolen here runs in to billions. With an annual budget of $1.2billion we can add up to 1000mw through the use of gas which is being flared. yearly and the $200m will be used in improving transmission across States and aiding in proper revenue collection. In the space of 10 years you have over 10000mw.. This is for only thermal energy. Not even to talk of renewable energy like solar and bio mass.. To achieve this there is need more massive pm involvement and no government interference. But the investment will only come to a stable clime with good business policies to favour business. Alot needs to be in check. Do the maths and see that we are selfish and not using out brains
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by iamord(m): 11:46am On Jul 02, 2016
ghboy:
actually it is possible but will it be done? my Ghana for instance had stable power. but reliance on the unpredictable hydro toppled with the connection of more towns to the national grid started our power woes. drastic and expensive thermal measures needed to be taken. luckily we discovered oil n gas with the later used to fuel some of the thermal plants. still not enough the government went extra by adopting short term measures buy purchasing 2 emergency power barges from turkey and some power generators from the middle east. one barge has been received and connected to the grid. currently Ghana has a generation capacity more than demand. however, the lights go off once in a while in the big cities due to inadequate gas or the shut down of plants for maintenance. more options like coal n wind are being considered. a little of solar and sea wave tech are being undertaken. the country wishes to be a net exporter of power by 2020! However all these came at a cost. subsidies on utility tariffs have been removed and an increase in power tariffs in January went up about 58%! the average Ghanaian cannot bear the hustle. at certain places water n electricity bills are higher than rent.
It possible in Nigeria especially when you have so much gas to power thermal plants
in ghana's it was just corruption and not being proactive. Nkrumah saw all this and had the game plan down. Only a few African leaders have achieved such feat. But we coming out of the recession and will get there. Currently there is a project called project ten. That would be a game changer and help Ghana become a new exporter of energy.
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by patrickkkk: 11:52am On Jul 02, 2016
adegeye38:
NIGERIA IS THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WITH OUR RESOURCES AND INCOME THAT HAVE POWER ISSUES, MOST COUNTRIES IN AFRICA HAVE STEADY ELECTRICITY ITS A NORMAL THING, IT ONLY IN NIGERIA THAT ITS ROCKET SCIENCE, DUE TO THE CORRUPTION AND STUPIDITY OF THOSE IN POWER, THE OBVIOUS SOLUTION IS THAT, NEW POWER GENERATION PLANTS SHOULD BE BUILT, POWERED BY COAL, NUCLEAR AND RENEWABLE ENERGY LIKE WIND TURBINES AND SOLAR, SOUTH AFRICA GENERATE 30,000 MEGAWATTS OF ELECTRICITY FOR A COUNTRY OF 50 MILLION PEOPLE, USA GENERATES 120,000 MEGAWATTS MOSTLY FROM COAL, GERMANY GETS MOST OF THEIR POWER FROM RENEWABLE ENERGY, SO ELECTRICITY GENERATION ITS NO BIG DEAL, ITS ONLY THOSE IN POWER THAT MAKE IT SEEMS SO, IMAGINE A COUNTRY OF OVER 170 MILLION PEOPLE GENERATING A MEAGER 5000 WATS MAXIMUM AND YET WE EVEN FAIL TO MAINTAIN THE POWER PLANTS WITH MOST OF THEM FALLING INTO DISREPAIR AND NOW WE ARE CURRENTLY GENERATING 1000 MEGAWATS, WHEREAS MOST COUNTRIES IN AFRICA HAVE 24/7 ELECTRICITY!, IT IS SHAMEFULL.

please don't go near that of nuclear for Nigeria because it is not ripe or mature security wise for now. Just imagine how important documents could get missed in the senate house that the nuclear power plant would not be blown up by one aggrieved militant when built.
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by ikbnice(m): 12:00pm On Jul 02, 2016
sweatlana:

Daddy retired... I got married here at home.
eyah! Sweet home. No place like home.
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by IstandWitBuhari: 12:10pm On Jul 02, 2016
DeRay98:

WARNING: Haters are liable to die young...quit hate and live long. cool
Define hater
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by NOETHNICITY(m): 12:12pm On Jul 02, 2016
egobetatoday:

as far as I 'm concerned they havent even done anything yet. Pls where are these people who call themselves NDA?

I heard about the recruitments in CBN.
i heard about the recruitments in FIRS.
I heard about the rectuitments in NIGERIAN PRISONS.
And more to come because we in CHANGE
Pls, pls and pls, NDA keep vandalising pipelines. We all need to join hands together with Buhari to bring this country to a halt quickly.
Going by Ur moniker its obvious u re either still in the job market or still looking for a better way out of ur current situation whatsoever. Nevertheless, here u re praying for the country to economically grind to a halt hoping that ll spite PMB. Delta state governor during the week cried out that he is nolonger able to pay salaries due to this very problem! He(Delta gov) noted that even the states IGR has hit record low given that pple nolonger meet up with their tax expectation since money is nolonger in circulation within the state. What this mean is that pple like u e.i the poor in the society, will continue to be poorer.
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by TheAlchemist: 12:13pm On Jul 02, 2016
theophorus:
Power supply problem in Nigeria is Multifaceted.

1. Generator importers don't work it solve.
2.Gas(Petrol) seller don't want it solve.
3. Think about the immediate effect of constant Power supply on the finance of Generator technician's
4. Think of the CORRUPTION factor.
5. The staff don't want it to work (why won't they supply prepaid meters)
6. Think about the Nigeria Factor.

...#ProblemAreMeantToBeSolved.

why also can't the federal government allow each state to generate, distribute and transmit its electricity needs. ?
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by fOFT: 12:28pm On Jul 02, 2016
mrprezident007:
With what we have been through as a country, the power sector alone have consumed more money than any other sector, but little or no result have been achieved. I was even hoping that this new FG administration will be different but so far it seems we are going back to 1830 when we had 0MW throughout Nigeria. I had tthis argument with someone on Palmchat but I would like to know what you NLs have to say. Do you think Nigeria can have steady power supply in the next say 10yrs.

Dear OP,
From my 18months experience in the power industry (The Grid) where we control, stabilize and sanction all the generating plants in the country, I believe 10 years from now, It is practically impossible because of the following:
1. We are still re-commissioning most power plants OBJ built(90% completion)
2. The rigid people benefiting from importation of Generators will not allow it to happen and keep in mind that they're circle of friends with our politicians
3.When Late Bola Ige became the power and Steel minister during OBJ's tenure, he fumbled on 'Tuesday Live' anchored by Cyril Stober that within 6months, there will be constant electricity.
4.There is a need for us to be really serious if we want to have constant electricity in 10years and we are yet to start the foundation.
5.In a sane society, the industries take their problems to research/Universities to solve their problem. In Nigeria, almost all our system has failed us.
6.Finally, Truth is: "reliable, efficient and constant" are 3 very distinct qualities,that will not arrive at the same time. It's an arguable proposition whether quantity is less important than. Because demographics change constantly, any targets would also change.Rather than set a "when" target, I'd set a baseline customer perception index, review how that moves and deliver. Carrots and sticks to Discos based on what that Index tells me about their performance.
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by egobetatoday: 12:37pm On Jul 02, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
Going by Ur moniker its obvious u re either still in the job market or still looking for a better way out of ur current situation whatsoever. Nevertheless, here u re praying for the country to economically grind to a halt hoping that ll spite PMB. Delta state governor during the week cried out that he is nolonger able to pay salaries due to this very problem! He(Delta gov) noted that even the states IGR has hit record low given that pple nolonger meet up with their tax expectation since money is nolonger in circulation within the state. What this mean is that pple like u e.i the poor in the society, will continue to be poorer.

i just laugh at your stupidity... honestly, i laughed. So in your myopic mind you think you can guess peoples lives from their monika? As much as i dont want to reiterate on how stupid you are, i just have to say this... that moniker was created one morning when i was thinking of going out on marketing AS A MARKETER IN A BANK WITH INTERNATIONAL PRESENCE and earning Mmm, mmm.XX... hiohiohiohiohio Dear, you need not feel too bad about your guess, some people are naturally stupid. I guess you now know who 'people like you i.e the poor in the society' is. And may you continue to be poorer in Jesus name ( like you said) AMEN. God has already gone before you this morning, my prayer was i will continue to be among the highest while people who wish me evil will take that same place they wish me. grin
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by TheAlchemist: 12:37pm On Jul 02, 2016
emi14:
What is actually wrong with Nigeria as people and country. Why can't we have electricity? I am right now in Uganda graded as one of the poorest country in the world. Indeed they country is poor but enjoys 98%steady electricity. What is wrong in my country?.

Say hello to a wonderful lady that lives in Uganda... Phiona Mutesi, i recently read her life story in the book "The Queen of Katwe".... Quite inspirational!

Back to the topic at hand: Until all Nigerians start seeing each other as one with one common destiny, we would fail to get it right in all sectors!

1 Like

Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by dantori(m): 12:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
kushkingstalin:
Bloody APC scouts every where
Go and jump into the lagoon :p
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by sunny442: 12:43pm On Jul 02, 2016
jayblaze001:
It can only be possible if our leaders are sincere, I've worked in one of our Generation stations and I'm currently working @ a transmission station. Since Buhari became president , we've had about 5 system collaps on the National Grid, electrical system operators will understand this beta . All our Generating stations are working below installed capacity and the worst of all safety is not there priority. If we must achieve steady power supply here we've got to switch over to HVDC system and also utilize the power of the Sun.
am particularly happy to be speaking with someone like you, the HVDC u just mentioned does Fashola know about it? Being an experienced hand apart form system colarpse affecting the power sector in general, what is the govt in this current administration doing differently to solve the power crisis, by this I mean are they signs of genuine intent to change things in that sector that you can attest to?
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by dantori(m): 12:44pm On Jul 02, 2016
kushkingstalin:
Bloody APC scouts every where
Go and jump into the lagoon :-p
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by obailala(m): 12:47pm On Jul 02, 2016
obicentlis:

You are not sincere about the cost of 1000mw.

If you want to know the cost Of gas powered plant, research abt South Sudan electricity projects and cost.

Btw, i used presidency travels as an instance that money isn't the problem of power outage.
Please kindly state what you think is the cost of a 1,000mw gas power plant based on your South Sudan instance?

By the way, the president travelling is a poor example because the cost of a power plant is roughly 1,000 times the cost of the travelling. How can you compare an ant with an elephant?...Are you suggesting that because I can buy a handful of cars costing few millions, then it means money shouldnt be a hindrance if I am required to buy a plane worth a billion?... What exactly are you about? undecided
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by optimised: 12:49pm On Jul 02, 2016
jayblaze001:
It can only be possible if our leaders are sincere, I've worked in one of our Generation stations and I'm currently working @ a transmission station. Since Buhari became president , we've had about 5 system collaps on the National Grid, electrical system operators will understand this beta . All our Generating stations are working below installed capacity and the worst of all safety is not there priority. If we must achieve steady power supply here we've got to switch over to HVDC system and also utilize the power of the Sun.
HVDC = High Voltage Direct Current. It has advantages & disadvantages among which expensive converting systems (substations) to transform the Direct Current to Alternating Current, it may being fresh issues.
I am sure that for now the encouragement of embedded systems (whereby localised electricity is generated and fed in local municipalities without feeding it via national grid - to compliment the supply from the national grid can quicken things up in the interim)
No one is mentioning a critical factor: estimated billing.
DISCOS make so much money from estimated billing such that further investment in power sector development does not make sense at all. It is economically stupid for then to commit serious capital funds to investment when the revenues are flowing -in in unimaginable proportion. Solution: let consumers of electricity be metered or in villages where there is no house enumeration, the community transformers be metered so that this biggest armed robbery in the country be brought to an end
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by Walexsammy(m): 12:56pm On Jul 02, 2016
buskie13:
an area u said...that's like 20% out of 100...we talking about this big nation called Nigeria that is blessed with bad leaders
yeah I do understand you. Honestly itz really annoying. will have to pack my gadgets to charge there.....i really envy them. still confused on the actual grid they're using cuz everyone is moving there
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by NOETHNICITY(m): 1:09pm On Jul 02, 2016
egobetatoday:

i just laugh at your stupidity... honestly, i laughed. So in your myopic mind you think you can guess peoples lives from their monika? As much as i dont want to reiterate on how stupid you are, i just have to say this... that moniker was created one morning when i was thinking of going out on marketing AS A MARKETER IN A BANK WITH INTERNATIONAL PRESENCE. hiohiohiohiohio Dear, you need not feel too bad about your guess, some people are naturally stupid. I guess you now know who 'people like you i.e the poor in the society' is. And may you continue to be poorer in Jesus name ( like you said) AMEN. God has already gone before you this morning, my prayer was i will continue to be among the highest while people who wish me evil will take that same place they wish me. grin
I guessed right. Look at a bank marketer thinking he is importantly employed. Now I know I am right. The poor will alws think like the poor that they re. U ve completely gotten u situation twisted
. Is bank marketing a job?
The 1st interview I ever attended was a bAnk job. I performed so well that I was told there and then that I already had the job. Was sent a text msg to resume the following week but I didn't. Not bragging man but I can't work in a bank much less a marketer.
As a bank marketer praying in support of pipeline vandalisation goes to show why u remain in such despicable position of employment given that u re suppose to understand that low financial inflow will directly affect u one way or another. Banks in Nigeria today re one of the most hard hit already, little wonder they re already threatening to lay u guys off.
My advice 2 u is, get more education and be removed from this despicable precarious position of employment. Secondly, u need to start praying for things to get better, otherwise u shall soon get laid off, although that is not my prayer for u.
Good day to u and may God bless u.
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by seunpaul85(m): 1:34pm On Jul 02, 2016
mrprezident007:
It is possible, but is 10yrs too close?
it's totally possible within 3 years, infact 2 years. If they're determined against all odds to fulfil that promise.
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by egobetatoday: 1:37pm On Jul 02, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
Look at a bank marketer thinking he is relevant. Now I know I am right. The poor will alws think like the poor man that u re.
The 1st interview I ever attended was a bAnk job. I performed so well that I was told there and then that I already had the job. Was sent a text msg to resume the following but I didn't. Not bragging man but I can't work in a bank much less a marketer.
As a bank marketer praying in support of pipeline vandalisation goes to show why u remain in such despicable position of employment given that u re suppose to understand that low financial inflow will directly affect u one way or another. Banks in Nigeria today re one of the most hard hit already, little wonder they re already threatening to lay u guys off.
My advice 2 u is, get more education and be removed from this despicable precarious position of employment. Secondly, u need to start praying for things to get better, otherwise u shall soon get laid off, although that is not my prayer for u.
Good day to u and may God bless u.

Now i know you situation is worse than i thought. A POOR man will always think everybody is as poor as he is. He was offered a bank jobgrin ...He passed so wellgringringrin...He had to quickly add that he isnt bragging. If a bank job is such a despicable job why say you are not bragging? That only shows its a 'Brag-able' job (even akpos is laughing at you now, him too don senior pessin). I used the bank job as a stepping stone... You shouldnt ask me where I am presently cos it would blow your mind. Take your advice and get more education. Obviously, you need it more than i do. Also never judge a book by its cover and learn not to be the first to wish people evil . Good day to you too and dont pretend to be friend (the prayers) when you are a foe.
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 02, 2016
dantori:

Go and jump into the lagoon :-p
With ya momma . .. grin
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by ediscuss: 2:50pm On Jul 02, 2016
mrprezident007:
With what we have been through as a country, the power sector alone have consumed more money than any other sector, but little or no result have been achieved. I was even hoping that this new FG administration will be different but so far it seems we are going back to 1830 when we had 0MW throughout Nigeria. I had tthis argument with someone on Palmchat but I would like to know what you NLs have to say. Do you think Nigeria can have steady power supply in the next say 10yrs.
SP= f(L) where SP=steady power
L=leaders
Nigeria can even sell power if they want to.
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by tripoli007(m): 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2016
mrprezident007:

Its not possible .. Have you ever seen a Virgin prostitute ?
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by NOETHNICITY(m): 3:27pm On Jul 02, 2016
egobetatoday:

Now i know you situation is worse than i thought. A POOR man will always think everybody is as poor as he is. He was offered a bank jobgrin ...He passed so wellgringringrin...He had to quickly add that he isnt bragging. If a bank job is such a despicable job why say you are not bragging? That only shows its a 'Brag-able' job (even akpos is laughing at you now, him too don senior pessin). I used the bank job as a stepping stone... You shouldnt ask me where I am presently cos it would blow your mind. Take your advice and get more education. Obviously, you need it more than i do. Also never judge a book by its cover and learn not to be the first to wish people evil . Good day to you too and dont pretend to be friend (the prayers) when you are a foe.
Mr Banker,stop glorifying banking job. Banking jobs lost its prestige a very longtime ago. Only those without choice chose to remain. Now leave me alone and face ur job.
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by Lovelynature(m): 3:27pm On Jul 02, 2016
galadima77:
If it's possible, we would have had it...

I dare any government to prove me wrong!!!

Steady power supply is not possible in Nigeria. Countries where such is possible, have it already!
Guy you dey vex oocheesycheesycheesy

true sha, until any government proves otherwise. It's obvious
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by chicoMX(m): 3:28pm On Jul 02, 2016
sixtus3606:

I concur with what you've just said.
But my question is....under which party?? hysterical look*
I don't think "The party" is actually the problem, It's the people that make up the party...*straight face*
Re: Is Steady Electricity Possible In Nigeria? by 19naia(m): 3:30pm On Jul 02, 2016
I used to think it was possible until i saw the topic posted about a man who was caught digging up underground electrical cables in Abuja and cutting portions to stow in the boot of his car.

Chaii! wiarisgod Oooo? If the power infrastructure cannot even find safety hiding underground, there is no safety for it any where.

Nigerians will continue to chop away at Nigeria's progress in every level, from those living in the gutter to those living in Aso rock.

Maybe Its a sign of hope that the cable thief was caught in Abuja. Maybe hope will come when people take seriouspy to catch all of those destroyers of Nigeria's progress. embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Inaugurates NEC, Asks Them To Focus On Economic Development / Ngige: IPOB Can’t Attack Me Outside Nigeria / Suspend Services In Lagos - NUPENG Orders Tanker Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.