Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,011 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade (7412 Views)

Coalition For Nigeria: Obasanjo Mobilizes 7 Governors, 20 Senators To Remove PMB / APC Senators To Ekweremadu: Defect Or Be Booted Out Of Office / PDP Only Needs Three Senators To Produce Senate President - Yerima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by falconey(m): 6:22am On Jul 02, 2016
The Senate has reiterated its commitment to remove any form of monopoly that can impede the development of private and public free trade zones in Nigeria.
Speaking after inspecting facilities at the Lagos Deep Offshore Logistics (LADOL), members of the Senate Committee on Trade and Investment led by its chairperson, Senator Fatimat Raji-Rasaki said, the fact-finding tour would enable the senate gather needful informa-tion to aid its review of existing laws.

According to Raji-Rasaki who was accompanied by Senators Effiong Nelson and Yusuf Abubakar Yusuf, the senate has shown commitment towards creating a conducive environment that would move the economy of the nation forward by strengthening the laws governing operation of free trade zones.
Speaking further, Raji-Rasaki said, the committee would also visit similar projects in Calabar and Kano.

The Senate Committee on Trade and Investment, according to Senator Effiong Nelson had already commissioned a team of consultants to work with it in looking at 45 laws that would among other things look at the issue of monopoly and waivers from an all-inclusive view.
The issue of monopoly which gives undue advantage to a particular company has been on the front burner of discourse at the free trade zone fora. Other contentious concerns include legislative provisions pertaining to taxes, levies, duties and foreign exchange which border on the viability of the free zones.

The Chairman of LADOL, Mr. Ladi Jadesimi while thanking the committee for the visit said he hoped that it would convey a different perception of what Nigerians are capable of doing and pleaded with the legislators to create a conducive business environment devoid of policy somersault that could send wrong signal to investors.
It would be recalled that, President Muhammadu Buhari recently commended the unique contribution of the Lagos Deep offshore Logistics base (LADOL) as one of the strategic investments in the country that currently drives the nation’s economy.

Buhari made the statement when he opened proceedings at the sixth African Petroleum Congress and Exhibition (CAPE VI) in Abuja organised by the African Petroleum Producers Association (APPA).
The President, who was represented at the event by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo (SAN), identified LADOL, which has invested over $600million in private investment, as one of the companies that currently adding the most value to the Nigerian economy through their ingenious investments.
While lauding the efforts of the indigenous organization in building economic growth, the President similarly gave accolades to Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI), which is currently building one of the world’s largest oil platforms at the LADOL base in Tarkwa Bay, Lagos.
The LADOL/SHI project commonly referred to as Egina Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) platform valued at $3.8billion, is said to be first of its kind to be built in the sub-Saharan Africa.
According to the President who urged other investors to emulate the LADOL example, African countries should develop ingenious ways of promoting value addition and investments through sustainable policies in local content.

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/senators-vow-discourage-monopoly-free-trade/

Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by Barackmeringo: 6:33am On Jul 02, 2016
angry angry angry angry angry

stewpid senators, don't even know why they are vexing me sef
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by Histrings08(m): 6:42am On Jul 02, 2016
Pfft
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by luiginho2xl(m): 7:44am On Jul 02, 2016
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by falconey(m): 7:46am On Jul 02, 2016
Barackmeringo:

because they gave you reason to vex

3 Likes

Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by ademusiwa12: 7:48am On Jul 02, 2016
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by donbenedict(m): 7:49am On Jul 02, 2016
Lwkmd
Barackmeringo:
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by tonio2wo: 7:51am On Jul 02, 2016
Are they indirectly poking dangote?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by tonio2wo: 7:52am On Jul 02, 2016
Barackmeringo:

They are not stewpid, they are wise rogues.
Its the people that vote them in that are stewpid!
Make I join u vex angry

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by honsaint(m): 7:53am On Jul 02, 2016
Story that touch
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by aimuan(m): 7:55am On Jul 02, 2016
Dangote comes to mind.
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by 2emgee(m): 7:56am On Jul 02, 2016
Exactly what's on my mind. I hope this won't affect the smooth relationship between federal Government and Dangote group of companies?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by Toluwani113: 7:58am On Jul 02, 2016
Does that makes Naira to strenghen against dollar sad shocked undecided lipsrsealed
Check my Signature!
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 02, 2016
Poke whoever you will, monopoly is sh*t.
Competition puts em companies on their toes.

1 Like

Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 02, 2016
In other words, they're coming for Dangote.
When you read the headline it fills you with optimism, however when you go ahead to read the context in which it was said (something many of us fail to do), you would just hiss, knowing that it's merely a political statement which carries no weight.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by SincereBigot: 8:07am On Jul 02, 2016
2emgee:
Exactly what's on my mind. I hope this won't affect the smooth relationship between federal Government and Dangote group of companies?
and if it does

1 Like

Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by edbor(m): 8:15am On Jul 02, 2016
Who are they trying to deceive. . who are the real owners of the companies?
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by cirmuell(m): 8:19am On Jul 02, 2016
Yeah right...believe these people at your own peril. undecided
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by falconey(m): 8:23am On Jul 02, 2016
edbor:
Who are they trying to deceive. . who are the real owners of the companies?

they are silent partners earning millions
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by obaino860: 8:31am On Jul 02, 2016
falconey:

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/senators-vow-discourage-monopoly-free-trade/

Nigerian government complaining about monopoly but practising it....
May I ask........why is dangote alone given license for cement and sugar, why da consistently fight against ibeto.....
Again,why is porthacout,calabar,warri,eket seaport not functional only Lagos.....
Even d two times commissioned Onitsha river port is been abandoned....
Oya,answer me
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by falconey(m): 8:34am On Jul 02, 2016
obaino860:

Nigerian government complaining about monopoly but practising it....
May I ask........why is dangote alone given license for cement and sugar, why da consistently fight against ibeto.....
Again,why is porthacout,calabar,warri,eket seaport not functional only Lagos.....
Even d two times commissioned Onitsha river port is been abandoned....
Oya,answer me

uh?

mr obiano you know our system , citizens are like sheeps and the FG is shepherd .

Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by Caseless: 8:37am On Jul 02, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by lonelydora: 8:48am On Jul 02, 2016
Okay
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by AleAirHub(m): 8:51am On Jul 02, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by persius555(m): 9:07am On Jul 02, 2016
Opposite of the attached image comes to mind. Seriously, on the long run, monopoly doesnt help a budding economy like ours.

Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by falconey(m): 9:15am On Jul 02, 2016
persius555:
Opposite of the attached image comes to mind. Seriously, on the long run, monopoly doesnt help a budding economy like ours.
well quite
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by Thobiy(m): 9:40am On Jul 02, 2016
Let see if it is discourage
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by edbor(m): 10:01am On Jul 02, 2016
falconey:

they are silent partners earning millions

Exactly my point, humility is lost in the society
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by falconey(m): 10:06am On Jul 02, 2016
edbor:

Exactly my point, humility is lost in the society

it hurt me that most of us know this but we can't do anything about it because of corrupt judiciary system .
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by edbor(m): 10:18am On Jul 02, 2016
falconey:

it hurt me that most of us know this but we can't do anything about it because of corrupt judiciary system .

yeah, and we were taught we have three independent arm of government, even the judges are thieves themselves, but who am i to judge

It's to do the little we can when we have the power to do so
Re: Senators To Discourage Monopoly In Free Trade by kokoA(m): 10:19am On Jul 02, 2016
I don't know why anytime I hear senators are involved in something I feel that thing has already failed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kano In Its Dark Hour Remembers President GEJ / Nigeria’s Debt Stock To Hit ₦34 Trillion With New Loans / Sunday Igboho At The Sight Of The DSS - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.