Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times (36981 Views)

8-Month-Old Indian Girl Weighs 10lbs, Craves For Food & Eats Like An Adult (Pics / The Stress Of Having Your Nigerian Mother Buy Clothes For You / How Have You Been Able To Survive This Unfavorable Economy? Share Your Experienc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Rayhutar(m): 2:00pm On Jul 02, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Venezuela's problem was that

1.They were importing food they should be producing , even things like meat.

2.Crucially, govt in Venezuela runs all the farms. That means reduced productivity because of lack of profit motive. Of course, when oil prices were high, the government could over import. When the prices were low.....revenue fell....and problems start.

3.Oil rich countries are really poor countries, because their wealth depends on the unstable oil price. No defense of buhari....but we would have had this same problem if GEJ was in charge.

Dutch disease/resource curse. Nigeria had this problem from 1982-1991 and then from 1991-2003. All because of falling oil prices.
Zombi, why is it that we did not have this hardship during GEJ tenure, oil is selling above $50 now, Gej tenure oil prices fluctuate, sometimes it sells at $70, when you have incompetent leader that did not have a common WEAC certificate, what did you expect Some Nigerians choses an un-educated warn out old man over a young PhD holder and the result is what they are getting, shove yours excuses!!!!

11 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Skain(m): 2:00pm On Jul 02, 2016
I pray things get better very soon.

1 Like

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 02, 2016
excess4luv:
Nigerians will definitely appreciate GEJ, despite the perceived looting there was plenty in the land for the ordinary Nigerian on the street.
Money was always floating and businesses thrived, living cost was affordable, there were government incentives in agriculture, companies were employing, and there was food. Today, the reverse is the case.
We will soon hear of high rate of robbery, fraud, and all other forms of crime previously rare.
APC and Buhari has got no blue print in developing the economy of this country.
Now they say there is no corruption yet they can't fund any program to alleviate hunger, employment is only for the selected few (prisons, FIRS, CBN and counting) companies are laying off employees in droves....

Today is it crystal clear that APC NOR BUHARI can't handle Nigeria.

proudly 5%

I could say the same thing you said about GEJ's regime for the Gowon, Obasanjo and Shagari';s regime up to 1982.

That ie because of high oil prices....there appeared to be plenty for all.

But GEJ's prosperity.....and the prosperity of the Gowon, Obj 's first coming and Shagari was that it was dependent on high commodity prices.

Or why would Okonjo Iweala be telling people in 2015 that even in the event of a GEJ win......there would be hardship.

I hate to break it to you.....but GEJ's regime was a failure. It did not rid us of our dependency of oil It did not tell Nigeria the truth...that we were really a poor nation posing with money we did not have. And PMB too should wake up to that reality.....and force Nigeria on the path that serious nations have gone through.

The path of industries and freedom from oil dependency.(Not car assembly plants that drain our oil revenues).

Oil is not our friend.

3 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by MrEverest(m): 2:01pm On Jul 02, 2016
dynamite11:
It breaks my heart whenever I remember we still have 3 more years with this government, the past 1 year have been so bad it's like 1 million years in the eyes of the masses
Dont worry, in the interim, we are already sending distress calls to the UN, UNICEF & other world bodies about the emergency situation of things in Nigeria. Any further delay could lead to the death of millions & worsen security in the Sahel region. I just got exclusive info that Ban Ki Moon just called for a meeting to address the hunger problem in Nigeria. Its like a war zone, God help us all!!!

2 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jul 02, 2016
...& the self-serving daura demon i voted/canvassed votes for DON'T GIVE A DAMN!...Buhari, cursed was the day i voted you & your heartless cohorts!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Sultanchidi(m): 2:03pm On Jul 02, 2016
And who do we blame,surely d gods ar not to blame

2 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Obiwiz(m): 2:03pm On Jul 02, 2016
You can hate the messenger, but you can't take away the validity of a truthful message. Nigerians were warned... prejudice, sentiment etc has lured them into the pit.

6 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by SeverusSnape(m): 2:03pm On Jul 02, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Snapers, a little secret.

Even if we had gone with PDP.....the same issues would have happened.

Our wealth, such as it is, is dependent on the rise and fall in oil prices. Which is why we are in this trouble....and which is why PDP winning in 2015 won't have made things better.

The thing is....Nigeria should have, and should be.....going through a period of hardship while we make the necessary spending in power, education, and transport to become a manufacturing power. Not using oil money to over-import (PDP style) or waiting for oil to rise again (APC style).

Food prices are high because for the sixteen years PDP was in power, they were able to hide the food gap we had in this country by importing. Even then, we still had the same issues in the time of plenty. Now....oil prices have fallen....and the truth is revealed....we were never ever rich.

You can call me a APC stooge, and a Zombie.....but I would be glad if you chewed on this before you start.....rich nations are not dependent on oil money....or on money from exporting raw materials and agric productis....but by innovation innovation. High time this government realized that....and I expect you the Opposition to tell them that. Oil is a burden....not a blessing.
You must be the guy with that 'bushdoc' moniker, Anyways, I know one thing and one thing only; The hardship being experienced by Nigerians is as a result of Buhari's nonsense economic policies, incompetence, and stupidity. Please don't blame it on oil price. Besides, Didn't he promise to stabilize oil price?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by SeverusSnape(m): 2:05pm On Jul 02, 2016
Seenyo:
...& the self-serving daura demon i voted/canvassed votes for DON'T GIVE A DAMN!...Buhari, cursed was the day i voted you & your heartless cohorts!
*crying* francizy dearpreye, please console our brother. Modath Progressive01 Beremx your guy is leaving your coven o. Do something, mayday!... Mayday!!!

Cc: Gbawe

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by ghostmist: 2:05pm On Jul 02, 2016
omojoshy:
Na Buhari cause am?

Very soon, when Rain no gree fall, people go still drop the blame @ Buhari's door steps.

When the past regimes were busy SHARING the Excess Crude Oil money, nobody cares about the future.

Now that most states can not pay salaries, Buhari is the scape-goat.

No!
na me cause am...Zombie!

5 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by otokx(m): 2:06pm On Jul 02, 2016
Tell Nigerians to have 1 birth per family they will not agree yet they go about shouting Buhari no money.

2 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by SeverusSnape(m): 2:06pm On Jul 02, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

[s]I could say the same thing you said about GEJ's regime for the Gowon, Obasanjo and Shagari';s regime up to 1982.

That ie because of high oil prices....there appeared to be plenty for all.

But GEJ's prosperity.....and the prosperity of the Gowon, Obj 's first coming and Shagari was that it was dependent on high commodity prices.

Or why would Okonjo Iweala be telling people in 2015 that even in the event of a GEJ win......there would be hardship.

I hate to break it to you.....but GEJ's regime was a failure. It did not rid us of our dependency of oil It did not tell Nigeria the truth...that we were really a poor nation posing with money we did not have. And PMB too should wake up to that reality.....and force Nigeria on the path that serious nations have gone through.

The path of industries and freedom from oil dependency.(Not car assembly plants that drain our oil revenues).

Oil is not our friend.[/s]
You keep typing rubbish epistles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by daisidgreat(m): 2:08pm On Jul 02, 2016
it is better to suffer for a few time and enjoy later than to suffer a little and enjoy less all in the name of corruption. Feeling for the victims anyway but the best is yet to come.
My opinion anyways.
Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by egobetatoday: 2:08pm On Jul 02, 2016
In the market yesterday, a lady came to collect the Ugwu (leaves) thrash from the seller. She was obviously going to salvage what ever she can from the thrash *shaking my head*. Sometime ago, my neighbour came home from a trip to meet that someone had sneaked into his home. He discovered that the person watch movies with his laptop while relaxing with a plate of rice made from the rice he had at home. There was some left over in the pot in the kitchen. But he met his laptop where the person used it. obviously its easier to get food than sell a laptop in this hard times.

4 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by sambluesky(m): 2:09pm On Jul 02, 2016
Slymonster:
I probably wanted to say it's a lie but when I realised even I living a good life still experience some hard times more less those that don't even have..May God protect us all
. D story is not far-fetchhed as I met a man few weeks ago who told me he is looking for sm1 to borrow him money to start a busines as he has been layed off frm work and he is willing to leave one of his children wit anyone who can borrow him d littlte mone to start his business. D reality is dat sm poor economic countries always hurt d economy to feed his ppl. Go to all dis central african countries and see hw even d poorest man feeds well, cos food are made cheap in those countries. Sm1 should tell buhari dat food is an essential human need for survival n itsnxt to water

2 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 02, 2016
Rayhutar:

Zombi, why is it that we did not have this hardship during GEJ tenure, oil is selling above $50 now, Gej tenure oil prices fluctuate, sometimes it sells at $70, when you have incompetent leader that did not have a common WEAC certificate, what did you expect Some Nigerians choses an un-educated warn out old man over a young PhD holder and the result is what they are getting, shove yours excuses!!!!

It is incorrect to say that oil prices were as low as 50 dollars during GEJ's time in office.....they were always higher than $80 and from 2011-14 were never below $100 per barrel.Buhari met oil at 70-60 dollars....and it went down to below 30 dollars for severalmonths....before it rose to 50 dollars.

Even at 50 dollars.....Nigeria needs oil to be at 123 dollars per barrel to balance the books. It was around that level for most of GEJ;s regime...that is why we were able to stay ''rich''

(And by the way, zombies do not exist. Stop watching those American B-movies. Can be bad for the ocular health and all that).

One other thing about oil (resource) dependency.....you keep spending money....even during times of plenty. To the point that you even take the loans like a sinking man both before and after the oil prices drop.

My point is.....Nigeria is not a rich nation....and our leaders, APC or PDP better face this fact by getting us off oil.

4 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 02, 2016
SeverusSnape:

You keep typing rubbish epistles.

May God bless you and your family this afternoon.

1 Like

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by egobetatoday: 2:11pm On Jul 02, 2016
for the foolish, history always repeat itself.

WHAT HAPPENED IN 1982 IS HAPPENNING AGAIN!

4 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by SeverusSnape(m): 2:11pm On Jul 02, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

May God bless you and your family this afternoon.
Amen

1 Like

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by jrusky(m): 2:13pm On Jul 02, 2016
Jaideyone:
mumu comment. every oil dependent country has been battling fund shortage since the drop in oil price. how exactly do you expect the president to handle the situation? states can't pay salary, companies are retrenching workers, businesses are folding up. all these started as far back as 2014 and they are the results of years of mismanagement that dates way back even before Jonathan. our leaders failed to develop other sectors apart from the oil sector. how exactly is that big mistake buhari's fault?

Bros APC stop defending your party failure I beg your pardon please what is the matter with you APC guys Can't you see Can't you feel Oh my good God so all is well in your world with Nigeria now under your party God please help some people in Nigeria their is something wrong somewhere honestly still seen people like you amazed me.

So to you as a sane man 2014 and from May 2015/16 look same according to your statement Ok nah. I presume you are likely going to be one of those still systematically milking the little left over secretly that is why you are defending this failures Lairs, Mr blammers bloody criers. Bye

4 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Proffdada: 2:14pm On Jul 02, 2016
Obago1000:
Dey there dey defend buhari very soon you will swap your data and fone for a plate of rice. Hypnotised zombie
when I'm not from ekiti grin

1 Like

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Dmes(m): 2:14pm On Jul 02, 2016
God Will Help.

1 Like

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Rayhutar(m): 2:14pm On Jul 02, 2016
otokx:
Tell Nigerians to have 1 birth per family they will not agree yet they go about shouting Buhari no money.
Na one child be Nigeria problem Obasanjo met less than $5 billion and manage it well, run an inclusive government with low oil prices; he did well some how atleast, GEJ run an inclusive government and hunger did not kill people, Buhari is running a Northern government,he met more than $30 billion dollars and he cannot coordinate and have a bearing, running up and down policies with his northern cabals that have been holding Nigeria down since military era.

3 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by bamasite(m): 2:15pm On Jul 02, 2016
Simply read Deuteronomy 15:11!
The only question is: HOW DO I PREVENT MYSELF FROM BEING ONE OF THEM??
Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jul 02, 2016
SeverusSnape:

You must be the guy with that 'bushdoc' moniker, Anyways, I know one thing and one thing only; The hardship being experienced by Nigerians is as a result of Buhari's nonsense economic policies, incompetence, and stupidity. Please don't blame it on oil price. Besides, Didn't he promise to stabilize oil price?

Snapers, you did not get me fully.

I wrote what I wrote not as a defense of Buhari...but as an explanation of our economic problems....and as a means to point out that even if we get oil prices to rise to $123 dollars per barrel..which is where we need it at to be rich....it does not mean that we are a successful nation.

Thing is....whoever took over in 2015...should have done the following....told us we are poor.....increased spending on power, education and transport....and cut spending elsewhere (including state house)..and cut costs elsewhere....then after five years....given loans and grants to people willing to set up industries....which would be made possible with improved power and transport.....

Anything to get us off oil .

3 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 02, 2016
#NO BOAST...even if a loaf of bread costs a thousand naira, i can a conveniently afford it, but the level of poverty/squalor on the street brings tears to my eyes!..d rate @ which people beg me for money these days is appauling!

2 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by pymseun: 2:17pm On Jul 02, 2016
guys no be only north the thing dey happen,na lagos worst pass as i dey now na red garri i ask my wife make she put inside water make i drink. Only the affected know themself. the keke(maruwa) way i dey drive na hunger drive me go collect installment, all the money i dey see na agbero an feul dey collect am. every blessed morning na porporf till night bcus of installment hooo. All the way we dey thank God steady say we still dey alive to withness today.

9 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Jaideyone(m): 2:18pm On Jul 02, 2016
jrusky:

Bros APC stop defending your party failure I beg your pardon please what is the matter with you APC guys Can't you see Can't you feel Oh my good God so all is well in your world with Nigeria now under your party God please help some people in Nigeria their is something wrong somewhere honestly still seen people like you amazed me.

So to you as a sane man 2014 and from May 2015/16 look same according to your statement Ok nah. I presume you are likely going to be one of those still systematically milking the little left over secretly that is why you are defending this failures Lairs, Mr blammers bloody criers. Bye
I was going to give you a robust reply but you said THE LITTLE THAT IS LEFT. that little one is what the country is living on right now and it is not enough

1 Like

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by MrEverest(m): 2:20pm On Jul 02, 2016
omojoshy:
Na Buhari cause am?

Very soon, when Rain no gree fall, people go still drop the blame @ Buhari's door steps.

When the past regimes were busy SHARING the Excess Crude Oil money, nobody cares about the future.

Just Gerarehia men! Such insensitivity!! Okay Buhari did not cause it, so who did? Okay GEJ as usual right? Well Karma is viscious & merciless, keep defending the dullard until it hits you.

4 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 02, 2016
One more thing, before i go....I advise people to read this quote...

The Dutch disease occurs when the traditional export (tradable goods) sector is crowded out by the booming export sector and the non-tradable goods sector. The lagging traditional tradable goods sector may include cocoa, palm produce, cotton, rubber, coal, copper, textiles and some manufactured goods while the booming export sector may be crude oil, coffee, gold, etc. The non-tradable (non-export) goods sector covers all those goods that are produced for domestic consumption only, e.g. staple food items, clothing, building materials, locally-assembled cars. Where crude oil (and gas) is the booming export sector, the non-oil export sector may be crowded out by the oil sector and the non-tradable goods sector of the economy.

This can happen when the oil revenue windfall increases domestic demand for non-tradable goods and pushes up domestic prices leading to an appreciation of the real exchange rate which in turn reduces the competitiveness of the non-oil export sector. This will in turn lead to a reduction in non-oil exports in both quantum and value terms. The oil windfall may also lead to movement of the factors of production in the economy. For instance, capital and labor (and land) may shift from the non-oil export sector to the oil sector (in order to maintain or increase reserves and production) and the non-tradable goods sector (to take advantage of the growing domestic demand). This explains why the increase in oil prices and the subsequent oil revenue windfall in many oil-exporting countries have tended to depress their non-oil export sector while at the same time generating a boom in both the oil and the non-tradable goods sectors.

With capital and labor shifting from the non-oil export sector to the oil-sector and non-traded goods sector, firms in the non-oil export sector are forced to either close down or reduce their scale of operation. The boom in the oil and non-traded goods sector increases the demand for imported goods. This may not be a problem in the short-term so long as the country has enough foreign exchange to pay for the imports. The depression in the non-oil export sector and the boom in the other two sectors have medium to long term implications for the economy because the oil windfall will not be permanent given the volatility, unpredictability and exhaustibility of crude oil.

For instance, if there is a decline in oil prices and oil revenue, the lagging and collapsing non-oil export sector will not be able to compensate for the drop in oil revenue while domestic demand for the non-traded goods and imports remain sticky. Consequently, the country will be forced to borrow from the international financial market to compensate for the decline in oil revenue. Over time, external debts will increase and so will the debt service obligations. Even when oil prices go up later and there is another round of oil windfall, it is difficult to correct the earlier damage or distortions created by the initial or previous oil windfall. In some cases, the oil exporting country may be forced to adopt some form of structural adjustment program (SAP) to correct such distortions or imbalances. Some of these SAPs are painful and may increase the prevalence, depth and severity of poverty.

Source:here

1 Like

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by dROC1: 2:25pm On Jul 02, 2016
I was almost moved to tears reading this article. This story is very real and yes, Nigeria has gotten to this level. Someone I know with 7 kids distributed his kids amongst relatives months ago in the guise of summer holiday and has refused to come get them several despite calls and ultimatums from relatives yet the dude is still playing hide and seek with his kids to ease the financial burden of feeding them daily.

In a country where petty criminals get burnt alive for steal maggi cubes is it not justifiable that our politicians should be the ones at the recieving end? The story of the woman that stole baby food from an upscale supermarket to feed her starving baby some weeks ago comes to mind. This is not what life is supposed to be and Nigerians need to demand more from their leaders and hold them accountable.

How a sitting president will be traveling all over the place and jailing the opposition yet turn a blind eye to the hunger ravaging his country is beyond my imagination. One thing is for sure, at this rate It will be several years before APC wins another presidential election....Nigerians cannot be fooled again. Enough is enough.

5 Likes

Re: People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times by forray(m): 2:26pm On Jul 02, 2016
omojoshy:
Na Buhari cause am?

Will you guys stop with this lame excuse....six month into Buhari'd government, we understand, not almost a year and half u are still giving this pathetic excuse. Do u know how much this country is worth? Do u know how much is generated daily from crude oil sales and IGR daily for the past 365 Plus days? And u are here spewing jargons while people are starving. What has this government done or sacrifice for the masses, instead they continued the same extravagant life style like all other previous government.

Somebody said above that if the is no corruption, there will be no suffering. So the increased suffering going on right now wld give you an idea of the level of corruption going on in this current administration. We shld stop defending the indefensible and say the truth when we need to.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Creative Maternity Shoot Of Husband Putting A Pregnancy Into His Wife (Pics) / A 13-Year-Old Boy Gives Part Of His School Fees To Ice Cream Seller (Photos) / Having A Timetable For Sex Can Boost Your Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.