Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law (33776 Views)

Edward Lametek Adamu Appointed As CBN Deputy Governor By Buhari / Aishah Ahmad Appointed As New CBN Deputy Governor By Buhari / Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor By Law, Says Agbakoba, Falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by deantimes(m): 11:35am On Jul 02, 2016
Former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Dr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN) stated that Mr. Okezie Ikpeazu is no longer the Governor of Abia State in the eyes of the Law.

[img]http://.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/olisa-agbakoba.jpeg.jpeg[/img]

This Senior Advocate of Nigeria stated this while lending his voice to the controversy trailing the sack of governor Ikpeazu by a Federal High Court, Abuja.

Justice Okon Abang, in his judgment of Monday, June 27, 2016 in a suit filed by Uche Ogah, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) member held that Ikpeazu does not possess the requisite qualifications to contest the election as governor, in that he did not furnish credible evidence of payment of tax, to the Abia State Government.

The judge ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to declare Ogah who came second in the PDP primary, as the elected candidate.
In the suit, Ogah had contended that Ikpeazu evaded tax prior to his election and as such was not qualified to hold elective office.

Agbakoba said by Law Ikpeazu has been removed by the court and he is no longer the governor of Abia State.

“The court has removed him as governor but the problem is that there’s a transition period. But the court has removed him as governor and there’s a new governor-elect who is yet to be sworn-in. and that is why I think there’s a major political vacuum. Clearly, the Ikpeazu is no longer the governor by Law.

“I don’t know the grounds which the other order from Abia State was obtained by one of the parties. But I do know that a judgment was given and a certificate of return was issued by INEC in Abuja. If they want to stay that order they have to go to the very court that passed the judgment.

“It is procedurally wrong towant to arrest that judgment us- ing another court of coordinate jurisdiction. The order of the Federal High Court in Abuja should be obeyed.

“A Notice of Appeal is clearly not a Stay and INEC has broken no Law in issuing Certificate of Return to Ogah. But they should have relied on the prudential principle by cautioning themselves, giving the fact that they have received a Notice of Appeal, which in itself, does not constitute a stay of execution of the order of the court. However INEC has broken no law by issuing the certificate of return to Ogah,”Agbakoba said.

Another Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr. Femi Falana also stated that INEC had done the right thing by obeying the order of the Federal High Court.

“Federal High Court ordered that Uche Ogah be issued with Certificate of Return and should be sworn in as governor of Abia State. INEC complied with the order. The order exparte issued by a judge in Abia State High Court is illegal and contemptuous. The Abia State High Court cannot sit on appeal over the order of the Federal High Court as it is a court of concurrent jurisdiction,” Falana stated.

In his reaction, the President of Nigeria Bar Association, Austin Aleghe, stated that while he was not fully briefed on the issue, the position of the law is that when a stay of execution and a notice of appeal has been filed, it is incumbent on all parties to stay action to avoid a situation where one’s interest will be rendered nugatory.

He however, stated that he cannot say for certainty that a stay of execution was filed and INEC put on notice.

Yesterday, INEC confirmed that it received notice of appeal but was not accompanied by stay of execution from Ikpeazu’s lawyers and that a notice of appeal did not amount to stay of execution.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/07/02/ikpeazu-no-longer-abia-governor-by-law-says-agbakoba-falana/

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by ramdris(m): 11:38am On Jul 02, 2016
What's the new IG waiting for na? He should act by removing his security details since the court has nullified his election... Must dey die in power? I hate our kind of politics jare angry

BTW: If na other Nairalanders dem go dey shout FTC! Shey una see as me just chill abi?

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by ever811(m): 11:39am On Jul 02, 2016
but the people said its him they voted for naa..so which one come be,make him respect himself comot for the seat wey him people give am kwa? we get laws for Nigeria,na him our condition dey like this? nnanawaoooo

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by Immatex(m): 11:40am On Jul 02, 2016
So you expect this man to go without a fight

If na you, you go gree, abi.

14 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by Nkem4040: 11:42am On Jul 02, 2016
Hypocrites...where were they when 3 judges ruled that Nnamdi Kanu should be freed unconditionally? They only speak out when they have been bribed. We all know Buhari is behind this ruling to cause choas in SE and bring in military...martial law!

80 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by AtlanticBreeze: 11:43am On Jul 02, 2016
In his reaction, the President of Nigeria Bar Association, Austin Aleghe, stated that while he was not fully briefed on the issue, the position of the law is that when a stay of execution and a notice of appeal has been filed, it is incumbent on all parties to stay action to avoid a situation where one’s interest will be rendered nugatory.
Falana is a zombie lawyer, Falana may be one of the APC zombies on nairaland... I don't understand why agbakoba is trying to rubbish his name with this pedestrain opinion... I had better gone with the opinion of an authority which is the NBA president

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 02, 2016
These legal titans have clarified the grey areas, but resignation is an anathema to many Nigerian politicians. They would rather be forced out than leave honourably. I don't see the governor quitting office without a fight. He is going to throw enough punches until he loses his strength.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by Trut(m): 11:47am On Jul 02, 2016
Uche Ogah is the authentic governor of Abia state, no more no less.

In Osho's voice, Ikpeazu should Go and Di€.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by id911(m): 11:50am On Jul 02, 2016
Falana, the double-mouth integrity challenged political lawyer. Please ignore Falana, his views are not important

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by Fanirandele: 11:50am On Jul 02, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

Falana is a zombie lawyer, Falana may be one of the APC zombies on nairaland... I don't understand why agbakoba is trying to rubbish his name with this pedestrain opinion... I had better gone with the opinion of an authority which is the NBA president
undecided
Of course you know better than these 2 esteemed lawyers undecided calling Agbakoba's opinion pedestrian , you're a joke grin

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:51am On Jul 02, 2016
The law must take its course. Though Ikpeazu should have approached the same court for a stay of execution pending the outcome of his appeal at the Appellate Court.

I don't think an Abia High Court can override the order of FHC Abuja.

I have to admit that Ikpeazu is on a very thin rope

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by sarrki(m): 11:52am On Jul 02, 2016
He be like say ikpeazu don finally enter one chance bus

3 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by felicitywe(m): 11:54am On Jul 02, 2016
Inec has been denying every point substantied by d abia state gvt by shifting frm one position to another.Abia gvt has furnished d world copies of their submission of Notice of appeal&stay of execution to inec nw inec is saying it s frm a state high court.If i may ask,are there two courts in nigeria?According 2 Agbakoba evry tin is procedural so evryone shud maintain their status quo.D governor has said dat he wrkd 4 d state gv during those period,if any infraction d state BIR shud be made to clear itself.Abia state is too big&peaceful 2 b put in disarray by any personal interest.historically what troubles abians r social vices nt d kind of tins we r seeing.

4 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by AtlanticBreeze: 11:54am On Jul 02, 2016
Fanirandele:

undecided
Of course you know better than these 2 esteemed lawyers undecided calling Agbakoba's opinion pedestrian , you're a joke grin
Well you want to go with the opinion of APC's paid to comment Falana while I choose to go with the opinion of the NBA president.. Whats your headache?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 02, 2016
Africans and sit tight leadership. Very bad.

7 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by jlinkd78(m): 11:55am On Jul 02, 2016
Drama, intrigues, suspence etc.
Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by unitysheart(m): 11:56am On Jul 02, 2016
Very logical inferations

3 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by Progressive01(m): 11:59am On Jul 02, 2016
Nkem4040:
[s]Hypocrites...where were they when 3 judges ruled that Nnamdi Kanu should be freed unconditionally? They only speak out when they have been bribed. We all know Buhari is behind this ruling to cause choas in SE and bring in military...martial law![/s]
Stop foaming in the mouth and spitting all over the place. This is about Abia state governor and not one Red Albino Monkey being ravaged in Kuje.

Ikpeazu should respect himself and vacate the office because before the law right now he's an imposter. Uche is the governor recognised by the constitution and anyone who conducts government business with Ikpeazu does so at the own risk.

Ikpeazu should go pursue his case in court but while he does so, government activities can't be suspended. The position isn't an inheritance.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by kcnwaigbo: 12:00pm On Jul 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
The law must take its course. Though Ikpeazu should have approached the same court for a stay of execution pending the outcome of his appeal at the Appellate Court.

Nonsense both you and the useless APC lawyer Falana can go to hell.There is a notice of appeal and a valid court order keeping Ikpeazu in office

The Abia state CJ is also law abiding and will not disobey a valid court order.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by AtlanticBreeze: 12:02pm On Jul 02, 2016
Progressive01:
Stop foaming in the mouth. This is about Abia state governor and not one Red Albino Monkey being ravaged in Kuje.

Ikpeazu should respect himself and vacate the office because before the law right now he's an imposter. Uche is the governor recognised by the constitution and anyone who conducts government business with Ikpeazu does so at the own risk.
Uche is not even qualified to be governor having not participated in any electoral process according to the electoral act.. Ikpeazu is governor until the judgement options are exhausted.. Buhari and his gang are trying to bring back coup to Nigeria...

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:04pm On Jul 02, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

Nonsense both you and the useless APC lawyer Falana can go to hell.There is a notice of appeal and a valid court order keeping Ikpeazu in office
The Abia state CJ is also law abiding and will not disobey a valid court order.
E be like you get comprehension problem my oga

16 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by Progressive01(m): 12:06pm On Jul 02, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

Uche is not even qualified to be governor having not participated in any electoral process according to the electoral act.. Ikpeazu is governor until the judgement options are exhausted.. Buhari and his gang are trying to bring back coup to Nigeria...
There has been no order for stay of execution or vacation of the judgement passed by the Federal High Court so your argument holds no water whatsoever.

In addition, you can get emotional all you want and blame Buhari (after all, he's been your ace bogeyman from day1) for even the grades you made in elementary school- the law is blind to all that- EVIDENCE and sound argument/persuasion is what matters.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by Abagworo(m): 12:07pm On Jul 02, 2016
Ikpeazu should obey the law and ask his people to stop the threat. Peter Obi was once replaced by Etiaba but still bounced back because he followed due legal process. Hopefully Ikpeazu will be back for justice demands Abia Governorship come from Ngwa, Asa or Ndoki sub ethnic groups.

11 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by deantimes(m): 12:07pm On Jul 02, 2016
Lalasticlala, mynd44
Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by AtlanticBreeze: 12:10pm On Jul 02, 2016
Progressive01:
[s]The has been no order for stay of execution of the judgement passed by the Federal High Court so your argument holds no water whatsoever.

In addition, you can get emotional all you want and blame Buhari for even the grades you made in elementary school- the law is blind to all that- EVIDENCE and sound argument/persuasion is what matters.[/s]
so you are now getting emotional because I mentioned that Buhari has returned to his coup plotting elements? hehehe... Abia state government has severally said they have served a notice of appeal to all concerned but then you choose to believe whatever you want.. Anyway, hurry up and go and swear ucher ogar in grin grin grin

15 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by AtlanticBreeze: 12:13pm On Jul 02, 2016
Abagworo:
Ikpeazu should obey the law and ask his people to stop the threat. Peter Obi was once replaced by Etiaba but still bounced back because he followed due legal process. Hopefully Ikpeazu will be back for justice demands Abia Governorship come from Ngwa, Asa or Ndoki sub ethnic groups.
how are the two cases related? Peter obi was impeached.. How are the cases related? SMH

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by asha81: 12:18pm On Jul 02, 2016
Agbakoba is a constitutional lawyer who is very versed in constitutional matters. I think Ikpeazu should vacate immediately to avoid further embarrassment.

11 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by Progressive01(m): 12:19pm On Jul 02, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

so you are now getting emotional because I mentioned that Buhari has returned to his coup plotting elements? hehehe... Abia state government has severally said they have served a notice of appeal to all concerned but then you choose to believe whatever you want.. Anyway, hurry up and go and swear ucher ogar in grin grin grin
Errrm, think you missed me somewhere...

See how excited you look because I responded to you today.. I know that feeling---- after months of fruitless mentions. smiley

6 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by kahal29: 12:19pm On Jul 02, 2016
AtlanticBreeze:

You detest Agbakoba because he told you the truth. Here him again :

“A Notice of Appeal is clearly not a Stay and INEC has broken no Law in issuing Certificate of Return to Ogah.

12 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by kahal29: 12:21pm On Jul 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Barca my bro I hail you sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by AtlanticBreeze: 12:23pm On Jul 02, 2016
Progressive01:
Errrm, think you missed me somewhere...

See how excited you look because I responded to you today.. I know that feeling---- after months of fruitless mentions. smiley
I think this is the first time, I have ever mentioned you unless you can prove otherwise.. SMH... Progressive indeed.. lol

3 Likes

Re: Falana, Agbakoba: Ikpeazu No Longer Abia Governor by Law by kahal29: 12:24pm On Jul 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

E be like you get comprehension problem my oga

Hahaha... My people no they like hear the truth that is why they argue blindly Most times

5 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BREAKING: AlphaBeta MD Dapo Apara Blows Whistle Accuses Firm Of Money Laundering / Sister To Dead Aaron Douye-Audu Mourns Heavily (Photos) / Present Pdp Spokesperson Indicted Atiku In 2006

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.