Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,309 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? (15542 Views)

Prophet Jacob Mackenzie's Shoes & Feet Worshipped By Church Members / Gloria And Mike Bamiloye, Their Children, Damilola, Joshua & Gift Bamiloye Photo / Mike And Gloria Bamiloye Pictured With Their Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by charlsecy(m): 6:08pm On Jul 03, 2016
Zico5:
Their is nothing bad in Jacob....If one of the greatest apostles of Jesus christ can carry the name without fear and intimidation from christ then the name is good.
Which of the apostles?
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Mecoy(m): 6:21pm On Jul 03, 2016
Ever heard 'God of Abraham, God of Isaac and God of Jacob' (Matthew 22:32). God still recognises the name 'Jacob'. Actually, it is about the person, not the name.

But sadly, the way we take religion nowadays, we are always trying to make the other person feel wrong. That is the only reason why you will have a problem with what someone names his/her child
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by ucee64(m): 6:22pm On Jul 03, 2016
The name Jacob is nt good it means deceit that's why God gave him a new name Israel
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Godyke(m): 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2016
Reason is, God himself never condemned the name. Because even after the encounter that brought about the change of name, the LORD still told Moses to introduce him to the children of Israel as the God of their fathers Abraham Isaac And Jacob. This is even long after many generations has passed.
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by miqos02(m): 6:28pm On Jul 03, 2016
Drabeey:
Genesis 35:10

I see people dont name their son judas but people still name their child Jacob. Why is this happening. God changed Jacob name to Israel... He knew its not a befitting name, yet people still name their own Jacob. Why?

Nairalanders, please come and explain this to me.

Happy sunday to y'all.

nothing is bad with the name jacob

ask jacob zuma,olu jacobs
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Proffdada: 6:28pm On Jul 03, 2016
ucee64:
The name Jacob is nt good it means deceit that's why God gave him a new name Israel
In the Old Testament, Jacob (later called Israel) is the son of Isaac and Rebecca and the father of the twelve founders of the twelve tribes of Israel. He was born holding his twin brother Esau's heel, and his name is explained as meaning "holder of the heel" or "supplanter".

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by miqos02(m): 6:29pm On Jul 03, 2016
ucee64:
liar, his mother will know that and name him that name? common

do u know more than his mother?
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by tosinjay(m): 6:33pm On Jul 03, 2016
The fact that God changed his name doesn't mean it had a bad meaning or anything bad about the name to attract the change but that he had a more purposeful name for him. People tend to abandon names because of historical happening and all that, as Judas ended badly, Jezebel ended badly meanwhile the name Jezebel itself isn't even a name is bad meaning. There's nothing wrong with the name and for Judas, no one wanna associate with such a name because of how Judas ended.
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by miqos02(m): 6:43pm On Jul 03, 2016
jojosweet:
now the bible did not codemn delilah, jezeebel or judas either but there actions where truly condemned which make for this day reasons why people rarely ever give their kids such names.Now Jacob had such history and a very bad personality but he loved God hence the need for God to give him a new start with a new name because once name is his identity. What baffles me though is how commo Jacob is but not hard working Esau that was hurt.*shrug*
lies, the name change happened in order to activate the covenant God had with Abraham, God promised to make him into a great nation hence the change of name, and it also occurred after an experience with God

Jacob is an individual, Israel is a nation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Ajalekoko76(m): 6:54pm On Jul 03, 2016
What about Esau? Y are people not bearing the name now?
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by VictorRomanov: 7:01pm On Jul 03, 2016
Drabeey:

I see people dont name their son judas but people still name their child Jacob. Why is this happening. God changed Jacob name to Israel... He knew its not a befitting name, yet people still name their own Jacob. Why?

Happy sunday to y'all.

So change of name now signifies a bad thing? Do u know that even after changing Jacob's name to Israel, that God still referred to him as Jacob? Read pls. Isaiah 2:3, Micah 4:2, Malachi 3:6, Psalms 146:5.

So I don't see the need why people shouldnt name their children Jacob and why you should criticise those who do.
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Taiyescott(m): 7:14pm On Jul 03, 2016
d names we bare alwayz telz on our lyf, jacob was changed 2 israel, meaning jacob isnt a gud name.. d name was wat was affecting his lyf and it was until it got changed b4 he progressed..
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by aribisala0(m): 7:17pm On Jul 03, 2016
This is why it is dangerous to worship foreign gods. Many people believe their bible was written in English. It was not. When Jesus was alive no one would have called him Jesus because that word simply does not exist in his language.
The Hebrew Yaakov is the same as the anglicized form James and was the name of one of the brothers of Jesus,

In the Greek language that the NEw Testament is written in it is
Iakobos( son of Mary) Which is pretty much the same as Yakub or Yakubu
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by jacobs85: 7:47pm On Jul 03, 2016
There is nothing wrong or bad with the name JACOB.

If you read and study you Bible well,you will notice the same God that renamed Jacob to Isreal still preferred to be called God of Abraham,Isaac and JACOB.

I am proud to be called JACOB
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by jojosweet(f): 7:48pm On Jul 03, 2016
miqos02:
lies, the name change happened in order to activate the covenant God had with Abraham, God promised to make him into a great nation hence the change of name, and it also occurred after an experience with God

Jacob is an individual, Israel is a nation
we can keep going at this if u want! First when God made a covenant with Abram he changed it to Abraham, God could have Unchose*thisworddontexist* Jacob like he did Saul but like david,jacob asked for mercy and blessing and God created Isreal! Understand ur bible
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Mekurexx: 7:53pm On Jul 03, 2016
There is nothing wrong with the name. If you read the scriptures well, you find out that Jacob had a twin named Esau, and it was written that the younger will be greater than the elder. Esau sold his birthright for a morsel of meat and then God made Jacob prosper. Rebecca named her son Jacob (which means Sub-planter) due to the circumstances at that time but the word of God prevailed and he was great. In this world there are the Esau's & Jacob's. Esau was only worried about the ''Now''. He gave up his birthright because he was hungry, demeaning the rights and power of a first born just because he was hungry. Jacob was smart. Through the help of his mother, he perceived the importance of having the birthright, after his mother told him what the Lord spoke to Isaac. An example of an Esau is Nigeria. We have the raw materials and mineral resources (crude oil etc) but our greedy leaders are only interested in the $$$ and end product. Is it not crazy that a country that has the reserves of crude oil, drills it and exports it to other countries to be refined, and then pays higher to import it after it has been processed into an end product (JetA1, kerosene, PMS etc) May God help us all!
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by miqos02(m): 7:55pm On Jul 03, 2016
jojosweet:
we can keep going at this if u want! First when God made a covenant with Abram he changed it to Abraham, God could have Unchose*thisworddontexist* Jacob like he did Saul but like david,jacob asked for mercy and blessing and God created Isreal! Understand ur bible
did God's promise to Abraham came to pass during Abraham's lifetime? no

it was activated during jacob's lifetime
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Thobiy(m): 7:56pm On Jul 03, 2016
Ajalekoko76:
What about Esau? Y are people not bearing the name now?
U can add it to your name
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by jojosweet(f): 8:24pm On Jul 03, 2016
miqos02:
did God's promise to Abraham came to pass during Abraham's lifetime? no

it was activated during jacob's lifetime
yes it did God gave him Isaac
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by saintkel(m): 8:48pm On Jul 03, 2016
Drabeey:

Happy sunday to y'all.

u didn't know Judas and Jude r d same? One is hebrew n d other aramic or greek
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by miqos02(m): 9:04pm On Jul 03, 2016
jojosweet:
yes it did God gave him Isaac
no, the promise of making him into a nation
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by thorpido(m): 9:13pm On Jul 03, 2016
Zico5:
Some people are ignorant of the bible. Their is nothing bad in Jacob, I am Jacob right from the birth and I confidently carry the name. If one of the greatest apostles of Jesus christ can carry the name without fear and intimidation from christ then the name is good.
Bro,it's the name you were gi ven and it's hard for you to let go of it but still doesn't make it right.
You're the one walking in ignorance here.Jacob was a swindler,a usurper,a 419 in Nigerian parlance and that was why God changed him name to Israel.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by thorpido(m): 9:30pm On Jul 03, 2016
VictorRomanov:

So change of name now signifies a bad thing? Do u know that even after changing Jacob's name to Israel, that God still referred to him as Jacob? Read pls. Isaiah 2:3, Micah 4:2, Malachi 3:6, Psalms 146:5.

So I don't see the need why people shouldnt name their children Jacob and why you should criticise those who do.
Yes,even after God changed his name,he was still addressed as Jacob.
What I learn't from my biblical study is that when he is called Israel,it is to speak about his spiritual lineage but when addressed as Jacob,it deals with his ancestral lineage.
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by saintneo(m): 9:59pm On Jul 03, 2016
Drabeey:

Happy sunday to y'all.

Jacob, Yacob, Yakubu, Jakob, Jacobian, Jacobean, Jacobson are not bad names.

Judas, Yudas, Jude, Yude, Yudah, Judah are not bad either; just that Judas Iscariot popularised it negatively.
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by whitecloth: 10:33pm On Jul 03, 2016
Jacko01:
I dont see God condemning the name Jacob

To me he just realigned Jacob name to setup something greater

As Israel later became rhe name of a nation and people

Jacob is a great name......if the name was condemned.... Provide thw bible passage
That's the most sensible answer I've seen so far.
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Ranchhoddas: 10:36pm On Jul 03, 2016
Fussbot:
If dem name you suraju you will know Jacob is bae
...or Mumuni, Musbau, Mukaila
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Funkybabee(f): 10:42pm On Jul 03, 2016
there is nothing happened to Jacob name,Jacob means one hearted man I mean caring heart,its after when Jacob collect his brother birth right that a curse is place on his name,it's not as if the curse is on that name as at the beginning. so there is nothing happened to it.
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Deilluminator(m): 11:11pm On Jul 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:
How do you know Jacob is a bad name ??

Oh, you heard the story of Jacob in the bible ??
Who wrote that Bible sef ?? God ??

When was the bible written ?? 40,000 years ago

Religion is worst that drugs, it can ferment your brain
I initially thought you missed road but I later discovered that you're in the right place.
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by agborodun: 12:14am On Jul 04, 2016
Even joseph's father was also jacob. Check out the bible verse.
There are so many good lawrence after the death of lawrence anini.

Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Nobody: 1:25am On Jul 04, 2016
Fussbot:
If dem name you suraju you will know Jacob is bae
only if u know d real pronunciation "suraj" and d meaning of "suraj"
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Nobody: 6:18am On Jul 04, 2016
I'll name my Son Jacob. Jake is such a cool name.

The fact that it'll piss off Nigerians = bonus grin
Re: Why Do People Name Their Children 'jacob'. Is The Name Even Good? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 04, 2016
Did the meaning of Jacob emanate after or before Jacob deceived his brother?

If before, why would a sane mother name his child a deceiver?
If after, what was its meaning before he deceived his brother?

Same applies to Judas.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Heated Argument, Note: This Could Shake Your Belief (photos) / There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. / The Six Kinds Of People You Will Find In A Church In Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.