Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,402 members, 7,812,181 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. (15532 Views)

Is It A Sin To Use An Old Or Dirty Money As Offering? / Student "Kills Senior Prefect With Mysterious Ring" In Onitsha / Matthew, Mark, Luke And John - Are They Old Or New Testament ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by jidsoon(m): 10:06am On Dec 01, 2011
The wedding ring comes from paganism. It cannot be found in the Old or New Testaments. There was no practice among early Christians to wear finger rings as a sign of marriage or an engagement. Pope Gregory 1, in 860AD decreed that as a required statement of nuptial intent, the groom to be had to give his intended an engagement ring. He further decreed the ring be of gold to signify financial sacrifice. The first diamond engagement ring is the one given by King Maximillian in 1477 to Mary of Burgundy. Wedding rings can be traced to idols and heathen religions. It is not just the image of the idol we are commanded not to possess, but rather any part of the idol itself. Thus, to make ones self after the image of the idol is to practice idolatry. All images of false gods and goddesses show the use of earrings, finger rings, bracelets, nose rings, and other jewelry. Where do we find this same practice associated with the God of the Bible? Did Jesus wear jewelry? Did the Apostles and early Christians? The answer is no!

The wedding ring is first a circle which is said to mean eternal or unending. Marriages were never eternal in the Scriptures but rather until death. Afterward a spouse could be married again. The idea then of eternal marriages symbolised by the ring is not Biblical. This meaning of the ring is false. So the ring gives a false testimony. The wedding ring then is not representative of the true union of the bridegroom and his bride. The home of the couple is more a witness and testimony of marriage then a wedding ring. For it is in the home the marriage is honored and sustained.

The wedding ring originated in Babylon, the cradle of civilization. The most ancient ring discovered there is in the shape of the eternal serpent. The image of the serpent biting its tail to form the circle of the ring is an ancient satanic symbol (***satanic ouroboros) . The same symbol is used by the Theosophy Cult. Satan as the serpent, that great dragon of Revelation 12, has by this symbol joined a man and a woman under his cult. God is not the serpent symbol of any wedding ring, nor is he the symbol of the wedding ring in any fashion. We may trace the ring not to the God of the Bible but to the accuser of the brethren. Where is there any ring that symbolizes God? Did God provide wedding rings for Adam and Eve? Remove this idolatrous symbol from the Church and the Pastor is accused of being legalistic, against marriage, incouraging adultery and lust. The Pastor's Church is labeled a cult. The fact is, over 70% of married spouses who commit fornication do not remove their wedding rings prior to the act, during the act, or after the act. Wedding rings have not stopped one act of adultery. Not one husband or wife has said: "I cannot commit adultery because I have my wedding ring on."

The pagan origin of the wedding ring raise questions about its adoption by Christians to represent the marriage union. The value of symbols is determined by their origin and meaning. The Menorah, the Cross, the Lord’s Passover emblems of bread and wine with footwashing, and baptism, are all acceptable symbols, because they have been established by God to help us understand spiritual truth. Their value is derived from their divine origin and not from man-made paganism. By contrast, the meaning of the wedding ring as a symbol of marriage commitment finds its origin not in Scripture, but in pagan mythology and superstitions. To give a pagan superstitutious symbol a Christian meaning leads to perversion of the right ways of God. The fourth finger DOES NOT contain a special nerve to the heart. It is superstitutious to believe if a person removes their wedding ring that evil will befall the marriage. Did a ring join them together or was it GOD? When a ring is made to join two people, God is CAST OUT and replaced by a piece of jewelry. This is exactly what has happened with the use of the wedding ring, superstitution is believed and this is borderline witchcraft. Many claim they need to wear the ring to ward off men or women who might think they are otherwise available. This is not true, the man or woman who is married will not be a flirt, will not entice lust, and will come out plainly and say "I am married." There is no need to allow a pagan superstitutious symbol say what should be said with lips and conduct.

Christian religions that originally rejected wedding rings: The Methodist followed the teachings of John Wesley that wedding rings were pagan and should not be worn. Mennonites likewise rejected the wedding ring as pagan. All early Baptist in America rejected use of the pagan wedding ring. The original Seventh Day Adventist abstained from use of the wedding ring because of its pagan origin. All the holiness movements, including the more devout Apostolic Pentecostals rejected wedding rings as pagan. There was a time in America when the majority of Christians did not wear jewelry of any kind including earrings and wedding rings. But this was to change when Pastors wanted their Churches to be more world friendly. The theory behind this relaxation was that Christianity was more then holiness and wearing of jewelry. The emphasis on personal holiness fell into decline in the later 1800s and from that time wedding rings became more and more accepted.
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by God2man(m): 4:08pm On Dec 01, 2011
During my wedding, i decided not to consent with the idea of wedding ring and my wife supported me. My church also agreed to the decision. We used the Bible. The word of God, that will stand the test of time. Atimes,If you want to make heaven, you have to stand alone, dare to be a Daniel. It is difficult to sing solo. However, i do not judge those who are using wedding ring. This post may be an eye opener to the demerit of using wedding ring. God bless you. God2man.
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by OgaMadam(f): 4:28pm On Dec 01, 2011
Its a shame that the very people who are close to the bible take it so literally they forget to understand the history behind it.

If you study the history of the bible you will see that there was nothing wrong with wedding rings.

The Old Testaments and its Covenants dictated that a few things be done before initiating a friendship/marriage for life.

*The Shedding of Blood (or cutting a scar) or Killing a goat/sacrifice of an animal
*The Breaking of Bread (or eating food together)

and other things.

After cutting each other, there is a scar. Nowadays we dont need a physical scar to prove the friendship.

A ring is a symbol of this scar.

Read your Old Testament.
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by Joagbaje(m): 3:14am On Dec 02, 2011
People wore rings in the bible days , both jews and heathen. Rich men and rulers and others weore rings for fashion.

Luke 15:22
22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:

So God is not against wering rings. The idea of 2 people exchanging rings is based on the principles of covenants. In covenant there is exchange. David and Jonathan had exchange. It's like saying "all that is mine is yours and what is yours is mine"

John 17:10
. . all mine are thine, and thine are mine. . .

If you do a study on covenants ,it's always acompanied with exchange of gifts. Which symbolises union. But I agree with you that exchange of rings is a modern thing. But not evil. Because ring or no ring . The exchange has always been a principle in covenants.
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by honeyfave: 4:03pm On Dec 02, 2011
Thanks for d write up. Till now CAC does nt use wedding ring
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by Joagbaje(m): 7:41pm On Dec 02, 2011
^^*
So what do they use to exchange in CAC ?
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by EvilBrain1(m): 8:00pm On Dec 02, 2011
OP is absolutely right. Moreover, further investigation by me has revealed that there are no cars, computers or internet forums in the bible either. These things must be demonic creations by western mystic devil worshippers allied to the illuminati.

We must all abandon these devilish instruments and return to our previous righteous stone-age way of life.
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by preselect(m): 9:38pm On Dec 02, 2011
Evil Brain:

OP is absolutely right. Moreover, further investigation by me has revealed that there are no cars, computers or internet forums in the bible either. These things must be demonic creations by western mystic devil worshippers allied to the illuminati.

We must all abandon these devilish instruments and return to our previous righteous stone-age way of life.

Quite true!
As a matter of fact, my further investigation showed that there was no bible in the bible. Jesus never read the bible. He read the scriptures written in Hebrew which can still be found in Israel today in scrolls.
Moses never read the new testament. Moses never ended or started his prayers with "in Jesus name". He never did that.
None of them spoke English not to talk of reading English scripture or some book with many scriptures called bible.
Remember it was that "foolish gentile" King James of England who even without gods authority, gave orders for the Latin bible to be translated to English and printed in quantities and "foolishly" authorized common human beings to own their own bibles in an era where only the catholic church had the power to own bibles or interprete it. And the church kept the bible only in Latin.

So let's all go to Israel and get the original scrolls and read them. Throw away your bibles pls

Oops I forgot, Moses never went to church. And Jesus never went to church too. They may have gone to temple or synagogue. So let's all destroy these churches we built(except may be some synagogue somewhere in lagos grin)

What a thread!!
Hisssssssss
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by OgaMadam(f): 9:57pm On Dec 02, 2011
pres - elect

you just not normal

grin
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by preselect(m): 10:05pm On Dec 02, 2011
OgaMadam
How I go do na? Religion no go kill person for this world. E be like say any person wey wan open church, e go find something peculiar take surround him "vision".

Of all the moral problems facing Nigeria( make we pretend say the economic problems no concern church), so of all our moral problems: fornication, adultery, greed, selfishness, pride, hypocrisy, lying, divorce, poor parenting, etc, na wedding ring be this guy problem grin

I've been to a wedding where the local officials after wedding my people asked them if they had any ring. No be by force to wear ring. Lol cheesy
If you no like am as a symbol of marriage, then take it as fashion or jewelry. If you no like am, no buy am. Change topic. We have bigger problems to talk about. Sogbo!
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by plappville(f): 1:35am On Dec 03, 2011
I agree with u in a way, its true that couple could go on well without the ring. The reason scripture would forbid wearing ring would be if the "object" becomes an idol used for worship like stated in,  (1 Corinthians 10:14) or if the wearer is consumed with how the jewelry made her/him. I will also say that, not every couple who put Wedding rings love the ideal, some do it due to few reasons u gave below. Take example, getting married in church , no biblical authourity on it. but almost everyone, both unbelievers marry in the church. if u feel u do it to Gods glory good. I believe, every Christian has to seek God's approval in all he does. If it is not clearly qouted in scripture whether a practice is lawful or edifyin" then D practice is one better left to each person’s conscience. If your heart does not welcome ring in your wedding?, abide to your heart.  Some verses that told use about the used of Gold in the bible. It wasn't totally condemed as we take it to be, the people God call his choosen once are people that uses God etc, yet God di not depart from them for tgis reason, until they made evil out of it. See in next page (just to share).
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by plappville(f): 1:41am On Dec 03, 2011
(Exodus 32:2-4) 2 Aaron answered them, “Take off the gold earrings that your wives, your sons and your daughters are wearing, and bring them to me.” 3 So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. 4 He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods,[b] Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.”
(here Gold was used for a sinful purpose," idol"wink

Song of Solomon 1:10-11 (KJV)
 10Thy cheeks are comely with rows of jewels, thy neck with chains of gold.
 11We will make thee borders of gold with studs of silver.

(Gold was a good symble by Solomon in his song)

(Judges822-26) 22 The Israelites said to Gideon, “Rule over us—you, your son and your grandson—because you have saved us from the hand of Midian.”
 23 But Gideon told them, “I will not rule over you, nor will my son rule over you. The LORD will rule over you.” 24 And he said, “I do have one request, that each of you give me an earring from your share of the plunder.” (It was the custom of the Ishmaelites to wear gold earrings.)

25 They answered, “We’ll be glad to give them.” So they spread out a garment, and each of them threw a ring from his plunder onto it. 26 The weight of the gold rings he asked for came to seventeen hundred shekels,[a] not counting the ornaments, the pendants and the purple garments worn by the kings of Midian or the chains that were on their camels’ necks.

(Gideon used Gold to make an e'phod)

(Exodus 35:22NIV)
22 All who were willing, men and women alike, came and brought gold jewelry of all kinds: brooches, earrings, rings and ornaments. They all presented their gold as a wave offering to the LORD.

(gold as offering to surport the lords, moses made good use of Gold here)

(Timothy2:9-10)
“I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God” 

(even as there is no specific counsel in the Bible about earrings, rings, bracelets etc, Paul ve general things to say about jewelry when he advised Timothy on worship within the local church: he seems telling us that Jewlry has some bad influence in our Christian life or so.
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by honeyfave: 3:08pm On Dec 03, 2011
Joagbaje:

^^*
So what do they use to exchange in CAC ?

We use Bible. i joined CAC after my wedding so i still put on my wedding ring. But if God minister to me to stop using it i will definitely comply.
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by Malstrom(m): 5:54pm On Dec 03, 2011
Babylon was not the cradle of civilisation, Africa was, and Babylon was not in Africa.

The snake biting its tail is a very old symbol for eternity from various ancient African cultures most predominately Egypt. It does not come from Europe or from Satan-worship.

The cross is a Christian symbol only because of the circumstance that at that time, criminals were put up on crosses to die. It could have been something else,

The wedding rings does not come from Christianity but from old European cultures. I do not see anything wrong with wedding rings as long as you don't buy blood diamonds or buy something you can't really afford.
Re: There Is No Wedding Ring In The Old Or New Testaments. by Oba234: 8:12pm On Dec 03, 2011
There
pres-elect:

Quite true!
As a matter of fact, my further investigation showed that there was no bible in the bible. Jesus never read the bible. He read the scriptures written in Hebrew which can still be found in Israel today in scrolls.
Moses never read the new testament. Moses never ended or started his prayers with "in Jesus name". He never did that.
None of them spoke English not to talk of reading English scripture or some book with many scriptures called bible.
Remember it was that "foolish gentile" King James of England who even without gods authority, gave orders for the Latin bible to be translated to English and printed in quantities and "foolishly" authorized common human beings to own their own bibles in an era where only the catholic church had the power to own bibles or interprete it. And the church kept the bible only in Latin.

So let's all go to Israel and get the original scrolls and read them. Throw away your bibles pls

Oops I forgot, Moses never went to church. And Jesus never went to church too. They may have gone to temple or synagogue. So let's all destroy these churches we built(except may be some synagogue somewhere in lagos grin)

What a thread!!
Hisssssssss

LMAO, I had a good laugh with this. Honestly there are so many things that we do now that is not written in the bible and doing it does not make it wrong. Using your theory, everything we do now will probably be wrong because it ain't in the bible. If you are living in this world, you have to accept that the world is constantly changing. What was acceptable as symbols of marriage 500 yrs ago is not the same as now. You know why? because culture evolves, people change. Get with the program or go back to Israel and start reading the scrolls not this modern bible put together by Constantine at the Council of Nicaea and find yourself some robes because I am pretty sure they weren't wearing trousers or skirts then, discard of your technological gadgets and some learn Hebrew or greek.

(1) (Reply)

Anytime I Pick Up My Bible To Read , I Always Feel Sleepy / Jehovah Witness Teaches That God Stole The Body Of Jesus / Why Do People Get Scared Of Ember Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.