Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,288 members, 7,842,849 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana (1172 Views)

Senators Vote YES for Immunity for NASS members / Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says / Absolute Immunity Is No Longer Allowed Under The Law- Falana Tells Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by shotin(m): 9:18am On Jul 03, 2016
Foremost human right activist and Senior
Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Femi Falana, yesterday
carpeted agitations in some quarters over the
freezing of the personal account of Ekiti State
governor, Ayo Fayose, and the current
prosecution of the leadership of the Senate over
allegation of forgery.
Speaking on the topic “Limit of executive
immunity” at an event in Benin City to mark the
60th birthday of the Secretary to the State
Government (SSG), Professor Julius Ihonvebere,
Falana said there are Supreme Court decisions
that said immunity for president, vice president,
governors and their deputies cannot be extended
to certain criminal acts.
He said the Supreme Court has also ruled that the
Attorney General of the Federation can direct the
Attorney General of a state to investigate
allegation of public money being stolen in states,
even if the money belongs to the state, as
according to him, the Supreme Court said at that
time, the issue is about public fund that has been
stolen.
“Apart from the President of our country, the vice
president, governors and their deputy, who are
protected under immunity in Section 308 of the
constitution, others are now insisting that
immunity be conferred on them. In particular, the
legislators in our country are asking for immunity,
but unfortunately, this is not the best time to
make that request because right now, some of
the leaders of the parliament in our country are
standing trial for false declaration of assets, for
forgery and conspiracy and some are even under
threat of possible deportation to the United
States to stand trial for rape and other related
offences.”
He continued; “The governor of a state came and
called Nigerians to join him to challenge the
temerity of the EFCC for seizing an account that is
suspected to belong to the governor. The EFCC
has quietly traced some stolen funds from Abuja
and about N1.3b of that fund was traced to an
account in Ekiti State with Zenith Bank. All that the
EFCC did, when it got information that this
particular governor has surrounded the bank with
armed gendarmes to forcefully remove whatever
was left of that money from the account, was sent
an order to the bank seizing the account and the
EFCC went to court to obtain an order to
legitimise the seizure of the account. As soon as
the governor learnt that the account has been
frozen, he challenged that action of the EFCC on
the ground that as a sitting governor, he enjoys
absolute immunity from arrest, investigation and
prosecution and argued that the action of the
EFCC was illegal and unconstitutional.
“I referred the governor to the judgment of the
Supreme Court involving Fawehinmi and the
Inspector General of Police. In the judgment
delivered by Justice Uwaifo (rtd.), My lord
subjected Section 308 of the constitution to a
serious intellectual scrutiny and concluded that
the immunity conferred on the President and
governors by the constitution cannot be extended
to investigations, if they are alleged to have
committed criminal offences and of the three
examples given by my lord, money found in an
account of a governor was one of them.He simply said supposed a sitting governor is
accused of corrupt practices and money has been
traced to an account, which is suspected to have
been stolen, if it’s not investigated and the
account cannot be touched, the money is likely to
be moved and by the time he is out of office, the
money would have disappeared. He went further
that if a governor has his own car and that car
killed somebody and you say that he cannot be
investigated, the car might have been sold before
the expiration of the term of office of the
governor. Therefore, investigation shall be
conducted. The report may be sent to the House
of Assembly for impeachment or the report may
be kept until the governor will be out of office and
he can be prosecuted.
“The governor said, “Zenith Bank gave me the
money for my election. If he maintains that
position, he will be guilty of committing many
offences under the law. N1.6b was taken from
Abuja in cash. Nobody can take more than N2m
cash around. So, that is against Section 1 of the
Money laundering Act. Number two, if he says
that a bank gave him money to campaign, that
means the bank stole depositors funds and
laundered it for a campaign.
Again, that is a serious offence under the
company and allied matters Act because it
specifically provided that no company or
corporate body should deploy funds of the
company for politics. So, if the governor
maintains that, he will also contravene section 90
of the Electoral Act, which provides the no
corporate body shall contribute more than N1
million to anybody for political campaign.”
He said just like the case of Abia State, where
immunity could not save the governor who was
removed, and that of President Muhammadu
Buhari over his certificate, there are certain
category of offences that a sitting chief executive
of the country or the state would not enjoy
immunity.”
On the issue of the forgery in the Senate, Falana
said the action of the Attorney General of the
federation was right in prosecuting the officials.
“Section 4 of the Legislative Houses Powers and
privileges Act forgery of the documents of the
House of the Senate is a serious offence.
The Senate president or the Speaker is required
under that law to report any forgery to the
Attorney General of the federation, but because it
was not done in this case, the Attorney General
has decided to try them under the penal Code
applicable in the FCT. But what was the reaction
of the Senate? It said this is political victimisation,
but has not said there is no forgery.”
Governor Adams Oshiomhole, Pastor Usani
Uguru, Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, who was
the chairman of the occasion, Elizabeth Ativie,
Speaker of the State House of Assembly and other
members of the state Executive Council were all
at the occasion.
https://www.today.ng/news/national/146888/absolute-immunity-nigerias-constitution-falana#
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by SeverusSnape(m): 9:20am On Jul 03, 2016
Because it involves Fayose they are saying 'no absolute immunity', But there is absolute immunity for Aishaliburton, For Buratai and for dullardeen.

Kontinu.

1 Like

Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by asitis752: 10:10am On Jul 03, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Because it involves Fayose they are saying 'no absolute immunity', But there is absolute immunity for Aishaliburton, For Buratai and for dullardeen.

Kontinu.
did you read that thing at all?
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by SeverusSnape(m): 10:32am On Jul 03, 2016
asitis752:
did you read that thing at all?
Yes sir, I did. Though half way, You should know this was targeted at governor Fayose, Is it not the Falana I know?

1 Like

Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by id911(m): 10:34am On Jul 03, 2016
Anything coming from Femi Falana should be thrown into the trash bin. The double-mouthed, bias and integrity challenged political lawyer is shameless.

I will forever miss you Chief Gani Fawehimi

2 Likes

Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by OLADD: 10:44am On Jul 03, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Kontinu.

Good talk. Has this double-mouthed chameleon ever heard talking about Buhari's WAEC Certificate debacle? Look at how he is twisting facts to justify his mischief. The constitution does not prevent investigating public officials (including governors) but it frowns at taking any action that leads to prosecutions including freezing of assets. Just because it's Fayose today, these politicians who parade themselves as social critics and democracy activists would turn our laws upside down in order to hang perceived enemies. Falana should just put on a full regalia of a politician instead of deceiving the nation in the name of legal luminary.

3 Likes

Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by Abeymills(m): 10:51am On Jul 03, 2016
Pls shut up already dis hypocrite shameless zombie

Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by asitis752: 10:51am On Jul 03, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Yes sir, I did. Though half way, You should know this was targeted at governor Fayose, Is it not the Falana I know?
I am from ekiti. I dont belong to any political party cos I hate politics. I just use my common sense when it comes to political issue. I am not also interested in who is targeting who. It's only people like you that are interested(zombies and wailers). There are a lot of senses in wat I read up there. You steel money that is meant for 170million people and you are talking about immunity. One of his sons is drivin range rover sport while my friend dropped out of university becos he couldn't pay d fee for part2. There are so many Nigerians without brain I swear

2 Likes

Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by SeverusSnape(m): 11:20am On Jul 03, 2016
asitis752:
I am from ekiti. I dont belong to any political party cos I hate politics. I just use my common sense when it comes to political issue. I am not also interested in who is targeting who. It's only people like you that are interested. There are a lot of senses in wat I read up there. You steel money that is meant for 170million people and you are talking about immunity. One of his sons is drivin range rover sport while my friend dropped out of university becos he couldn't pay d fee for part2. There are so many Nigerians without brain I swear
You're from Ekiti and so what

His son is riding range rover... Do you know what Buhari's children are cruising?... The expensive schools they attend in London?... Buhari is also a thief, He has immunity. Of course, there are many Nigerians (zombies) without brain.
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 03, 2016
Falana don chop big bribe (YAM) grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by asitis752: 11:57am On Jul 03, 2016
SeverusSnape:

You're from Ekiti and so what

His son is riding range rover... Do you know what Buhari's children are cruising?... The expensive schools they attend in London?... Buhari is also a thief, He has immunity. Of course, there are many Nigerians (zombies) without brain.
dats d problem I hav with you brainless wailers and zombies. Hav you visited ekiti state before? If yes you will discover dat over 60percent are government workers of which fayose hasnt paid their salaries for abt six months now which means most ekiti people hav not eaten today while fayose is having billions in his account. Ekiti workers are now calling their children dat are still in school to send money to dem to eat. Wot is my business with Buhari and his children? We are talking abt confirmed fraudulent life of fayose but you are diverting my attention to another fraudulent person but dat hasn't been confirmed. Do you now know dat it's not only zombies dat are brainless but including you the wailers?
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 03, 2016
When Fayose's Immunity expires in 2018 we will watch with glee while the government hounds the thug behind bars. Immunity only lasts for a maximum of 8 years
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by ASL33: 12:05pm On Jul 03, 2016
asitis752:
dats d problem I hav with you brainless wailers and zombies. Hav you visited ekiti state before? If yes you will discover dat over 60percent are government workers of which fayose hasnt paid their salaries for abt six months now which means most ekiti people hav not eaten today while fayose is having billions in his account. Ekiti workers are now calling their children dat are still in school to send money to dem to eat. Wot is my business with Buhari and his children? We are talking abt confirmed fraudulent life of fayose but you are diverting my attention to another fraudulent person but dat hasn't been confirmed. Do you now know dat it's not only zombies dat are brainless but including you the wailers?
All you wrote is applicable to almost all states in Nigeria
Governors and president hide under immunity to loot the country dry. Immunity need to be removed and if we can't remove it then we should live with it and obey it.
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by SeverusSnape(m): 12:13pm On Jul 03, 2016
asitis752:
Seriously, You're saying trash.

No need for long talks, What is your business with Buhari's own?, Is he not your president?, Fayose is owing workers, yes, Is he the only governor owing?...Go and attack him, He's your governor.

He has billions in his account, Please how did you know this?, Are you his account officer?... See, Fayose is not a saint, as a matter of fact no Nigerian politician is, My only grouse is trying to pull down one and exonerating another while at it.
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by asitis752: 12:25pm On Jul 03, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Seriously, You're saying trash.

No need for long talks, What is your business with Buhari's own?, Is he not your president?, Fayose is owing workers, yes, Is he the only governor owing?...Go and attack him, He's your governor.

He has billions in his account, Please how did you know this?, Are you his account officer?... See, Fayose is not a saint, as a matter of fact no Nigerian politician is, My only grouse is trying to pull down one and exonerating another while at it.
where is d glaring fraudulent case against Buhari? I created a thread not long ago and talked about the only people with common sense in Nigeria which happens to be the people that do not support any political party so no need to argue much with you cos ur brain has been rewired for apc and pdp politics.d fact still remain dat fayose must not go wit dat money
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by SeverusSnape(m): 12:27pm On Jul 03, 2016
asitis752:
where is d glaring fraudulent case against Buhari? I created a thread not long ago and talked about the only people with common sense in Nigeria which happens to be the people that do not support any political party so no need to argue much with you cos ur brain has been rewired for apc and pdp politics.d fact still remain dat fayose must not go wit dat money
... Must not go with which money?. I laugh. Go and stone him because he's acting as opposition to your president.
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by asitis752: 12:31pm On Jul 03, 2016
ASL33:
All you wrote is applicable to almost all states in Nigeria
Governors and president hide under immunity to loot the country dry. Immunity need to be removed and if we can't remove it then we should live with it and obey it.
did tou read d story at all? If yes did you read the part where justice uwaifo delivered a similar case in supreme court and where he said there is nothing like total immunity in Nigeria? Or you just rushed here to comment?
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by asitis752: 12:49pm On Jul 03, 2016
SeverusSnape:

... Must not go with which money?. I laugh. Go and stone him because he's acting as opposition to your president.
I know dis will be ur last resort. Because I am against fayose for being one of many Nigerians dat hav looted Nigeria and increased d level of poverty has automatically turned me to Buhari's supporter. Why are many of u fooolllish? How many people in ur town/city/village hav eaten today when someone is collecting 1.3billion for himself, wife and children without doing anything? Instead of you zombies and wailers to come together and tackle all the politicians without bias you are busy playing politics with the future of ur unborn children

1 Like

Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by SeverusSnape(m): 12:51pm On Jul 03, 2016
asitis752:
I know dis will be ur last resort. Because I am against fayose for being one of many Nigerians dat hav looted Nigeria and increased d level of poverty has automatically turned me to Buhari's supporter. Why are many of u fooolllish? How many people in ur town/city/village hav eaten today when someone is collecting 1.3billion for himself, wife and children without doing anything? Instead of you zombies and wailers to come together and tackle all the politicians without bias you are busy playing politics with the future of ur unborn children
Be against all of them, Buhari and APC looters inclusive. Not Fayose alone. You support your looters, allow me to support mine. No one, I repeat, No one is a saint.
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by blackpanda: 12:57pm On Jul 03, 2016
asitis752:

Why are u wasting your time with severussnape Thats like beating a dog for eating shit. Some people cant help but show their true nature by always supporting corruption
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by blackpanda: 1:00pm On Jul 03, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Be against all of them, Buhari and APC looters inclusive. Not Fayose alone. You support your looters, allow me to support mine. No one, I repeat, No one is a saint.

Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by SeverusSnape(m): 1:04pm On Jul 03, 2016
blackpanda:

Why are u wasting your time with severussnape Thats like beating a dog for eating shit. Some people cant help but show their true nature by always supporting corruption
See this liar who claimed to be Igbo yesterday, Don't you support corruption?... Yesterday, you were all over the place supporting the dullard's sectarian appointments, and you're saying another person supports corruption. Will you still run away today like you did yesterday??
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by shotin(m): 1:18pm On Jul 03, 2016
The recent misconduct of some
state governors has generated.
growing concern among Nigerians
on the need to amend the
constitution and remove the
immunity clause thereby exposing
the governors and even the
president to civil and criminal
prosecution while in office. The
removal of immunity clause, it is
hypothesized, will check executive
lawlessness, promote responsive
and responsible leadership by the
executive branch of government.
However, this argument is trumped
by the impeachment clause and
suffers from a serious flaw, hence;
the National Assembly should
exercise restraint in rushing to any
emotional calls for the amendment
of the constitution. Laws are never
passed by emotions; otherwise its
consequences will further
exacerbate the very problem it is
intended to cure.The
point of immunity is to enable the
president and the Governors to
perform their designated functions
effectively without fear that a
particular decision or action may
give rise to criminal personal
liability. And because of the singular
importance of the duties, diversion
of their energies by concern with
lawsuits would raise unique risks to
the effective functioning of
government. The concern of the
framers of the Constitution is the
chilling effect that civil or criminal
liability would impose on the
performance of executive duties.... the immunity clause should be reviewed and check, nigeria politicians are using it as a guide to loot a lot of money believing they can hide under it. It is high time we stop deceiving ourself and face the reality...
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jul 03, 2016
asitis752:
I am from ekiti. I dont belong to any political party cos I hate politics. I just use my common sense when it comes to political issue. I am not also interested in who is targeting who. It's only people like you that are interested(zombies and wailers). There are a lot of senses in wat I read up there. You steel money that is meant for 170million people and you are talking about immunity. One of his sons is drivin range rover sport while my friend dropped out of university becos he couldn't pay d fee for part2. There are so many Nigerians without brain I swear
if you like come from Jupiter,it makes no difference.

Falana is a worse hypocrites.why didn't he ask buhari to step down and face his forgery issue?rather he went on to defend him.shameless tinubu boy claiming social critic.
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by asitis752: 3:53pm On Jul 03, 2016
SeverusSnape:

and who told you I'm supporting any of dem? Give me a clear case of fraud against any of dem and I go against you immediately. I will say I'll go with pdp if it's a must for me to join any of dem cos my uncle is now d spokesman for pdp and also a close pal of fayose but dat doesn't stop me to apply sense.
Re: No Absolute Immunity In Nigeria’s Constitution – Falana by asitis752: 3:56pm On Jul 03, 2016
frankline5:
if you like come from Jupiter,it makes no difference.

Falana is a worse hypocrites.why didn't he ask buhari to step down and face his forgery issue?rather he went on to defend him.shameless tinubu boy claiming social critic.
falane being a hypocrite is another point entirely

(1) (Reply)

Edo APC Is Offering #5000 Each Against Tomorrow Campaign Rally In Benin / Hilarious:: Even Goats Are Angry With This Guy. / PDP Wins Mimiko's Ward

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.