Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,245 members, 7,815,351 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says (14546 Views)

Rats Invasion: Buhari Is The Worst President Ever - Mike Ozekhome / How Osinbajo ‘goofed’ On Nigeria Remaining Together – Niger Delta Monarch, Ayemi / Absolute Immunity Is No Longer Allowed Under The Law- Falana Tells Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by deantimes(m): 6:35am On Jul 04, 2016
A Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Mr. Mike Ozekhome, has said the human rights activist , Mr. Femi Falana, was wrong on his position that the Nigerian constitution cannot guarantee absolute immunity against criminal prosecution for governors, deputy-governors, president and vice-president in the country.

Falana had, during a paper entitled: The Limits of Immunity Clause’, he delivered at the sixth birthday of the Edo State’s Secretary to Government (SSG), Professor Julius Ihonvbere, said that the money Laundering Act and Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Act as well as the international criminal court laws do not give absolute immunity to governor Fayose against criminal prosecution, adding that the EFCC was toeing a legitimate path by freezing the governor’s accounts and thereafter obtain an court order against his bank. But Ozekhome said Falana goofed on these areas and defended his position accordingly.

The senior advocate who heads governor Fayose’s legal team against the EFCC at the Federal High Court, Ado-Ekiti, spoke to journalists yesterday in Ado-Ekiti, saying: “Falana made three points on the matter and I totally disagree with him. He said that you can institute a legal process against governors because they are also sued during election petitions.

“And I disagree with him on that because election petitions are generic, they are generic because they are in a class of their own. They are a hybrid, neither civil or criminal procedures. That is why it is the constitution itself that gives the right for a governor to be sued when they are challenging his mandate, it is not the lower laws like an Act of parliament like EFCC. “EFCC is an act of parliament which is millions of miles lower than the provisions of the constitution.
And any provision from the EFCC Act or money laundeiring Act which is inconsistent with the provision of the constitution is null and void by nature of section 1, sub-section 3 of the same 1999 Constitution, “ he said. Arguing further, he said: “It is the same constitution in section 308 that says that when it comes to civil or criminal procedure, you can never sue the governor and such should not be entertained in any court of law.

“Falana also said that the Money Laundering Act can also apply against a sitting governor, that is wrong. The Money Laundering Act is an act of the parliament which is as low as the EFCC Act and the two of them must bow down to the Kabiyesi (Lord) of our laws which is the 1999 constitution (as amended in 2011) And that constitution in its section 308 says that whether under the money laundering Act or the EFCC Act, you cannot move against Fayose or any other governor, vice-president or President or deputy-governor.

“The third point by Falana that immunity is not total has been debunked because section 308 of the constitution overrides all the Acts of parliament such as the Money Laundering and EFCC Act. He also said that governors of Nigeria are not immune from the procedures of the international criminal court, of course that is outside the jurisdiction of Nigeria. “So, none of all the arguments Falana has canvassed therefore can show that immunity can be watered down.

http://.com/freezing-of-fayoses-account-falana-goofed-on-no-absolute-immunity-submission-ozekhome-says/

5 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Wizzyblack3(m): 6:36am On Jul 04, 2016
Happy nEW wEEK to you guys, wish everyone a very lovely and fruitful week ahead.

4 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by ReabridCharles(m): 6:41am On Jul 04, 2016
Simple and comprehensive roar from Mike Ozekhome.

Falana was a man I really respected his sense of jurisprudence, how he changes is what surprises me.

If those who interpret the law be divided, what hope is there for the common man?

God! Nigeria! Where is the future you promised us?

65 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by ckmayoca: 6:42am On Jul 04, 2016
Na old age oh and spirit of partisanship.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by kcnwaigbo: 6:45am On Jul 04, 2016
We already know Falana is demented so there is nothinhg new

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by freeze001(f): 6:46am On Jul 04, 2016
Falana sha!! I wonder what drives him. It's way more than greed. There's some serious enslavement here and maybe d government of the day has something major against him hanging over his head so he's forced to say and do things contrary to equity, good conscience and public policy.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by omogin(f): 7:01am On Jul 04, 2016
Falana works for his belly. Gani's shoes can't be filled by his likes

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by SeverusSnape(m): 7:15am On Jul 04, 2016
omogin:
Falana works for his belly. Gani's shoes can't be filled by his likes
How I wish Gani Fawehinmi is still around.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 7:37am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:

Falana was a man I really respected his sense of jurisprudence, how he changes is what surprises me.

If those who interpret the law be divided, what hope is there for the common man?

See forget Politics .

FALANA is very correct. Without just ranting, let me explain with examples.

One of his point is that the immunity does not cover electoral crimes.

Check meaning of Absolute first before you jump on the argument.

Synonyms of ABSOLUTE It is not a law term it means
synonyms: complete, total, utter, out-and-out, outright, entire, perfect, pure, decided;

"Falana said that immunity did not also extend to electoral fraud.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/absolute-immunity-no-longer-allowed-law-falana/"

The above makes the STATEMENT a STATEMENT of FACT.

1. Buhari was in court for his certificate issue cos it affects his election.

2. Ikpeazu was in court because of tax papers that affect his election

3. Gani Fawehinmi took Tinubu to court independently over Toronto Certificate forgery.

4. Sitting governors are tackled from Tribunal to supreme Court despite immunity.

1, 2 and 3 are not electoral petitions. They are suits against people who enjoy immunity but the suit was entertained because it can be categorised as an electoral crime.

So we dnt need a PHD in Law before you know WHAT falana is saying is simply the truth.

"No absolute immunity in our Law. If there is, Ikpeazu wont be running helter skelter, looking for court injunction"

Mike is a PDP lawyer and infact he is currently defending Fayose.

So I dnt expect him to take another position.

It is only victims of headlines that will scream.

58 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by ReabridCharles(m): 7:46am On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

See forget Politics .

FALANA is very correct. Without just ranting, let me explain with examples.

One of his point is that the immunity does not cover electoral crimes.

1. Buhari was in court for his certificate issue cos it affects his election.

2. Ikpeazu was in court because of tax papers that affect his election

3. Sitting governors are dropped from Tribunal to supreme Court despite immunity.

1 and 2 are not electoral petitions. They are suits against people who enjoy immunity but the suit was entertained because it can be categorised as an electoral crime.

So we dnt need a PHD in Law before you know WHAT falana is saying is simply the truth.

Mike is a PDP lawyer and infact he is currently defending Fayose
So I dnt expect him to take another position.

It is only victims of headlines that will scream.

Wow!!! Impressive... You knowledge on the sibject runs deep I presume. Guess you're a lawyer, probably one of the SAN Buhari chose to defend him.

Electoral crime, we need to start from your mentor (oga at the top) then...

Good riddance to bad rubbish....

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 7:47am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:

Wow!!! Impressive... You knowledge on the sibject runs deep I presume. Guess you're a lawyer, probably one of the SAN Buhari chose to defend him.

That is typical of anybody who has nothing to say.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by freeze001(f): 7:48am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:

Lol...ds ur brand of sarcasm no be here. I was about commenting on that post but I got tired and deleted d entire thing I'd written. It is not everything one must respond to cos d kind of ignorance I see here sometimes is depressing.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Nobody: 7:49am On Jul 04, 2016
Falana has become a great shame to legal luminary.

Is this how a man can destroy the reputation he built for years?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by ReabridCharles(m): 7:54am On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

That is typical of anybody who has nothing to say.

On the contrary, it proves exactly as stated and not folks like you who hide under self denial and pity to the obvious....

I pray your double standard doesn't make you hypertensive....

Did you read that phrase that said "what is good for the good is good for the gender?"

It is easier to fool a person than to convince him he has already been fooled.

That explains your self-denial

Good day!!!

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 7:58am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:

On the contrary, it proves exactly as stated and not folks like you who hide under self denial and pity to the obvious....

I pray your double standard doesn't make you hypertensive....

Did you read that phrase that said "what is good for the good is good for the gender?"

It is easier to fool a person than to convince him he has already been fooled.

That explains your self-denial

Good day!!!

You are still not making any iota of sense.

What is the goose and gander ?

BUHARI's certificate suit continued despite his immunity until the guy withdrew the case.

So what is goose and gander ?

Did Gani Fawehinmi not get court injunction for Tinubu to be investigated despite his immunity as Governor of Lagos state ?

Please step forward with facts not just all this irrelevant cryptic submissions.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Luckylife(m): 8:19am On Jul 04, 2016
frankline5:
Falana has become a great shame to legal luminary.

Is this how a man can destroy the reputation he built for years?
it a shameful thing that a SAN of his calibre will sell his profession at the alter of insensitive government and shamefully try to interpret the constitutions of a democratic government wrongly for his selfish and material interesting from this administration. He forgets that good name is better than wealth and no administration states forever.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 04, 2016
That falana of a guy is just a joke;
By the time he fall into the hands of rampaging militants in his home town, then he will channel his anger to bubu and stop directing his frustration toward Fayose.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by 989900: 8:38am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:

[s]Wow!!! Impressive... You knowledge on the sibject runs deep I presume. Guess you're a lawyer, probably one of the SAN Buhari chose to defend him.

Good riddance to bad rubbish....[/s]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by 8BitGee(m): 8:44am On Jul 04, 2016
Ozekhome lacks credibility. He is one of the hand for hire lawyers, others being Ricki Tarfa, Joseph Daudu.

The Constitution does not guarantee immunity from electoral crime. There have been supreme court interpretations in the past about why absolute immunity in this case can lead to anarchy.

If the constitution guarantees absolute immunity, what is the role of electoral tribunals?

7 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Evathyst(f): 10:54am On Jul 04, 2016
Anyone who still doesn't know that Mike Ozekhome lacks credibility, such a person should have his head checked.

First, he was the one misinterpreting the constitution during the Fayose's EFCC probe. Now, he's switched allegiance over to the most crookish Senate President Nigeria has ever had; Bukola Saraki. undecided undecided

I wonder how some people still manage to sleep at night after telling such blatant lies. Kai! Humans have really surpassed the devil himself in evil deeds. undecided undecided

11 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Proffdada: 10:55am On Jul 04, 2016
He's intoxicated by fresh palm wine grin

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Okijajuju1(m): 10:57am On Jul 04, 2016
Falana I Know... Who is Mr. Mike Ozekhome?

Who Mr. Mike Ozekhome epp?

Ehn don Baff?

Who E Serve?

2 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Nobody: 11:01am On Jul 04, 2016
You Can't Party With The Apc-led Government And Have Integrity

6 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by vakabinto(m): 11:06am On Jul 04, 2016
Am snooring#takenote
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by OHIsIManuEL(m): 11:06am On Jul 04, 2016
we aff heard
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by repogirl(f): 11:07am On Jul 04, 2016
See as Falana has embarrassed himself. Such a shame!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by ojuu4u(m): 11:07am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:

Lawyers do not interprete do laws o but argue it. Only judiciary that interpretes the laws

2 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by ojuu4u(m): 11:07am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:

Lawyers do not interprete do laws o but argue them. Only judiciary that interpretes the laws

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by plusmekus: 11:08am On Jul 04, 2016
Falana should go and sue Fayose.

Falana is losing every credibility. Lawyer for paper

4 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Okijajuju1(m): 11:09am On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:

I am one who is up for a good debate based on actual points and not attacks on the personality of the debaters.

So far, you have said absolutely nothing to counter the points made by AntiWailer.

If you have any actual points to make on the subject or the points raised by AntiWailer, now would be a good time to present it.

Below is Section 308 of the Nigerian Constitution for reference..

308. (1) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Constitution, but subject to subsection (2) of this section -

(a) no civil or criminal proceedings shall be instituted or continued against a person to whom this section applies during his period of office;

(b) a person to whom this section applies shall not be arrested or imprisoned during that period either in pursuance of the process of any court or otherwise; and

(c) no process of any court requiring or compelling the appearance of a person to whom this section applies, shall be applied for or issued:

Provided that in ascertaining whether any period of limitation has expired for the purposes of any proceedings against a person to whom this section applies, no account shall be taken of his period of office.

(2) The provisions of subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to civil proceedings against a person to whom this section applies in his official capacity or to civil or criminal proceedings in which such a person is only a nominal party.

(3) This section applies to a person holding the office of President or Vice-President, Governor or Deputy Governor; and the reference in this section to "period of office" is a reference to the period during which the person holding such office is required to perform the functions of the office.

Lets Debate this amicably..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:09am On Jul 04, 2016
It's Ozakhome that goofed, not Falana.

7 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by tomakint: 11:11am On Jul 04, 2016
This Ozhekome of a dude is fast losing it, this is plain silly of him as a SAN undecided Falana was clearly right based on his crystal clear interpretations. It is too clear that absolute immunity clause will not blow us any good wind especially at this time of crusade war against corruption. I wondered why many youths here are not seeing this light.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Disowns Group That Accused Osinbajo Of Manipulation. / Buhari At 76: Reno Omokri Asks Buhari About The 76 Soldiers Lost / Sanusi To Nigerians: We Must Suffer To Get Things Right, Stop Cursing Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.