Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? (1180 Views)

7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” / 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by ministeriallist: 10:00am On Jul 03, 2016
I have heard so many friends and associates claiming to speak in tongues. In fact I have a neighbour who just finished committing adultery with an Olosho, only to hear him and his wife speaking in tongues the following day when his wife returned from a journey.
I read through the Bible and discovered that the first record of speaking in tongues is found in Acts of Apostles chapter 2. Then, people from distant lands were surprise to hear Peter and other disciples speak their own language and they were amazed that these people are Galileans, but each one of the visitors could hear them speaking their own language. Act 2:7-11.

But am surprised the way speaking in tongues in being done today - uttering unintelligible words.

Back to the question: what does it mean to speak in tongues?
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by funnynation(m): 10:04am On Jul 03, 2016
just following...
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by Dottore: 10:04am On Jul 03, 2016
I am still surprised that no one since after biblical record of Acts chapter 2, has been able to achieve the feat of speaking in other tongues they didn't have prior knowledge of. Upon all the Born again and heavy radical dangerous 'anointing' being claimed everywhere.
Ordinarily there wouldn't be need for interpreters.

What you hear these days are some verbose cacophony from every quarter during prayers and all claim it's heavenly language that edifies their spirit. The major aim of speaking in tongues is to preach the gospel to people the way they will understand it.

I really mean no harm, neither am I making an attempt to criticize anyone but I feel it's a challenge to anyone who claims to be born again.
How can you claim to be:
an English teacher when you don't know parts of speach
A doctor but you don't know symptoms of diseases
A mechanic but you don't know components of a vehicle. And so on

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by Flexherbal(m): 10:23am On Jul 03, 2016
It means : speaking the language the devil does not understand. For you speak not unto men but unto God.
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by ministeriallist: 7:42pm On Jul 03, 2016
Flexherbal:
It means : speaking the language the devil does not understand. For you speak not unto men but unto God.
Read Acts chapter 2
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by elroyale(m): 7:56pm On Jul 03, 2016
Jude 1:20
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by shadeyinka(m): 8:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
Hi
There are two kinds of tongues:

1. Glossa: When by faith you speak as it is put in your mind the syllable's put in your mind by your Spirit. Usually, no one understands this except God and whomever the Holy Spirit ministers the meaning to through Word of Knowledge, Interpretation of Tongue etc. ..my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.

2. Dialectos: When supernaturally your utterances whether in your language or in Glossa is translated:
a. You actually speak a real language to the benefit of a person or groups of persons.
b. Your words are interpreted i.e. You speak for instance in English language but your hearer(s) hear in their own language (Berom, Chinese, Malay etc). This was what took place in the book of Act2:

Dialectos is not common because it functions mainly in the mission fields where language barrier is a problem.

ministeriallist:
I have heard so many friends and associates claiming to speak in tongues. In fact I have a neighbour who just finished committing adultery with an Olosho, only to hear him and his wife speaking in tongues the following day when his wife returned from a journey.

It is very possible to be in sin and still pray in tongue just as it is possible to be living in sin and pray in understanding.

Finally, praying in tongue is NOT superior to praying in your understanding.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by MuttleyLaff: 12:56am On Jul 04, 2016
[size=3pt]Gombs - LOL ooo ybɒɘɿ ƨi booʇ ubudO ʇo idO[/size]
ministeriallist:
But am surprised the way speaking in tongues in being done today - uttering unintelligible words
You have every legitimate reason to be surprised because the way speaking in tongues is being done today - church folk, 21st century believers uttering unintelligible words is bable, confused noise made by a number of voices
This is not speaking in tongues (i.e. not speaking in a foreign language) but is mere babbling by unintelligible utterraces

It is the end time deception of the demonic spirit in Rev 16:13-14, symbolised as three unclean spirits that looked like frogs
And how do frogs catch their prey? Yes, using tongues to snare believers with their false speaking in tongues deception

ministeriallist:
To speak in tongues means audibly saying something out or make sounds with your voice to express your thoughts and feelings in a structured, conventional, intelligible and understandable way

Speak in tongues is language (i.e. tongues of man=human language)
and has the same meaning with mother tongue, native tongue, dialect, vernacular etcetera
For example, you can speak in vernacular, can speak in your local dialect, might speak in a native tongue or speak in your mother tongue

Dottore:
I am still surprised that no one since after biblical record of Acts chapter 2, has been able to achieve the feat of speaking in other tongues they didn't have prior knowledge of. Upon all the Born again and heavy radical dangerous 'anointing' being claimed everywhere.
Ordinarily there wouldn't be need for interpreters.
There is a time and a place for everything. Also there is always a reason for everything that happens or why it does not happen
Things do happen for a reason and what took place in Acts Chapter 2 happened importantly because of Acts 2:5
Place Acts 2:5 close together with Matthew 10:5-6, Matthew 15:24, Romans 1:16, especially for a comparison or contrast effect

1 Corinthians 14:22 confirms that, what took place in Acts Chapter 2, was for the benefit of any unbelieving Jews at Acts 2:5
The Jews (i.e. all adult Jewish men) thousands of them from different nations dispersed to or from where they are scattered to, would travel to Jerusalem for this pilgrim festival called Feast of Weeks or Pentecost to celebrate the giving of the Law to Moses at Mount Sinai

What took place in Acts Chapter 2, was for the benefit of the lot in Acts 2:5 and nothing to do for and/or with the lot in John 10:16

Dottore:
What you hear these days are some verbose cacophony from every quarter during prayers and all claim it's heavenly language that edifies their spirit.
ROTBL. You havent heard anything yet, you will fall off the chair if you are shown ''praying in tongues'' typed on Facebook

Dottore:
The major aim of speaking in tongues is to preach the gospel to people the way they will understand it.
Yes, absolutely, and it was apart from being a sign, was for the benefit of the unbelieving lost tribe of Israel pilgrim to the festival, who incidentally were always at the top of Jesus' list of priorities.

Dottore:
I really mean no harm, neither am I making an attempt to criticize anyone but I feel it's a challenge to anyone who claims to be born again.
How can you claim to be:
an English teacher when you don't know parts of speach
A doctor but you don't know symptoms of diseases
A mechanic but you don't know components of a vehicle. And so on
What has born again got to do with speaking in a different language
If you see the Kingdom of God, then you are born again.
Please carefully revisit John 3:1-15 (i.e. the conversation between Nichodemus and Jesus) to get the low-down on born again

Flexherbal:
No. Haba Chief, you've turned 1 Corinthians 14:2 on its head ooo

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God:
for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries
- 1 Corinthians 14:2 KJV

Here is an illustration of what 1 Corinthians 14:2 is saying:
If you speak and understand only Ibo, but I, bilingual in Ibo and Hausa, start to speak, preach or pray in Hausa
Then the Hausa tongue or language would be unknown to you, you wouldnt understand what I said, preached or prayed in Hausa
I wouldnt be communicating with/to you, as it all be mysteries to you what I said, preached or prayed in Hausa
Only God will understand what I said, preached or prayed in Hausa, not you, as God understands all languages or tongues

ministeriallist:
Read Acts chapter 2
Yep if it was me I'll seriously go brush up my Bible, Acts Chapter 2 and all, to prevent truth decay

shadeyinka:
Hi
There are two kinds of tongues:

1. Glossa: When by faith you speak as it is put in your mind the syllable's put in your mind by your Spirit. Usually, no one understands this except God and whomever the Holy Spirit ministers the meaning to through Word of Knowledge, Interpretation of Tongue etc. ..my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful
I throwe salute ooo but Glossa and Dialectos are interchangeable words because they literally mean the same thing (i.e. means language)

Anyway, one is not even meant to continue speaking in tongues if there are no interpretations or audience that understands what are being said, as the main reason for speaking in tongue or in a foreign language, is a sign, not for believers (i.e. sign not for church people) but for unbelievers (e.g. for atheists, agnostic, pagan etcetera)

shadeyinka:
2. Dialectos: When supernaturally your utterances whether in your language or in Glossa is translated:
a. You actually speak a real language to the benefit of a person or groups of persons.
b. Your words are interpreted i.e. You speak for instance in English language but your hearer(s) hear in their own language (Berom, Chinese, Malay etc). This was what took place in the book of Act2:
What took place in Acts 2, was the Apostles were actually speaking in the individual languages or dialects of the visiting Jews and each of the pilgrim Jews present, without need of interpretation, heard and understood the preaching

shadeyinka:
Dialectos is not common because it functions mainly in the mission fields where language barrier is a problem
It's so infrequent because it's original and primary purpose was for the benefit of the unbelieving lost sheep of Israel at Acts 2:5 and elsewhere before it got passed down to the church

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by RoyalBoutique(m): 5:39am On Jul 04, 2016
It means not speaking with your lips ... eg pronouncing some letters of the alphabet that requires only the tongue ... c, d, l, n, r, s, t, z.
So, it you can construct words with those alphabets, you have spoken in tongue.
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by blueAgent(m): 5:35pm On Jul 19, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
[size=3pt]Gombs - LOL ooo ybɒɘɿ ƨi booʇ ubudO ʇo idO[/size]You have every legitimate reason to be surprised because the way speaking in tongues is being done today - church folk, 21st century believers uttering unintelligible words is bable, confused noise made by a number of voices
This is not speaking in tongues (i.e. not speaking in a foreign language) but is mere babbling by unintelligible utterraces

It is the end time deception of the demonic spirit in Rev 16:13-14, symbolised as three unclean spirits that looked like frogs
And how do frogs catch their prey? Yes, using tongues to snare believers with their false speaking in tongues deception

To speak in tongues means audibly saying something out or make sounds with your voice to express your thoughts and feelings in a structured, conventional, intelligible and understandable way

and has the same meaning with mother tongue, native tongue, dialect, vernacular etcetera
For example, you can speak in vernacular, can speak in your local dialect, might speak in a native tongue or speak in your mother tongue

There is a time and a place for everything. Also there is always a reason for everything that happens or why it does not happen
Things do happen for a reason and what took place in Acts Chapter 2 happened importantly because of Acts 2:5
Place Acts 2:5 close together with Matthew 10:5-6, Matthew 15:24, Romans 1:16, especially for a comparison or contrast effect

1 Corinthians 14:22 confirms that, what took place in Acts Chapter 2, was for the benefit of any unbelieving Jews at Acts 2:5
The Jews (i.e. all adult Jewish men) thousands of them from different nations dispersed to or from where they are scattered to, would travel to Jerusalem for this pilgrim festival called Feast of Weeks or Pentecost to celebrate the giving of the Law to Moses at Mount Sinai

What took place in Acts Chapter 2, was for the benefit of the lot in Acts 2:5 and nothing to do for and/or with the lot in John 10:16

ROTBL. You havent heard anything yet, you will fall off the chair if you are shown ''praying in tongues'' typed on Facebook

Yes, absolutely, and it was apart from being a sign, was for the benefit of the unbelieving lost tribe of Israel pilgrim to the festival, who incidentally were always at the top of Jesus' list of priorities.

Please carefully revisit John 3:1-15 (i.e. the conversation between Nichodemus and Jesus) to get the low-down on born again

If you speak and understand only Ibo, but I, bilingual in Ibo and Hausa, start to speak, preach or pray in Hausa
Then the Hausa tongue or language would be unknown to you, you wouldnt understand what I said, preached or prayed in Hausa
I wouldnt be communicating with/to you, as it all be mysteries to you what I said, preached or prayed in Hausa
Only God will understand what I said, preached or prayed in Hausa, not you, as God understands all languages or tongues

Yep if it was me I'll seriously go brush up my Bible, Acts Chapter 2 and all, to prevent truth decay

I throwe salute ooo but Glossa and Dialectos are interchangeable words because they literally mean the same thing (i.e. means language)

Anyway, one is not even meant to continue speaking in tongues if there are no interpretations or audience that understands what are being said, as the main reason for speaking in tongue or in a foreign language, is a sign, not for believers (i.e. sign not for church people) but for unbelievers (e.g. for atheists, agnostic, pagan etcetera)

What took place in Acts 2, was the Apostles were actually speaking in the individual languages or dialects of the visiting Jews and each of the pilgrim Jews present, without need of interpretation, heard and understood the preaching

It's so infrequent because it's original and primary purpose was for the benefit of the unbelieving lost sheep of Israel at Acts 2:5 and elsewhere before it got passed down to the church

Nice one. Speaking in tongue ,was a gift of the holyspirit to help spread the gospel in different languages ,not speaking or making unintelligent sounds. people read the Bible literally without understanding its meaning.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by MuttleyLaff: 11:13pm On Jul 20, 2016
blueAgent:
Nice one
The thing tire we ooo

blueAgent:
Speaking in tongue,
was a gift of the holyspirit to help spread the gospel in different languages,
The fascinating eye-openers are knowing who were originally to benefit from speaking in tongue (i.e. speak in a foreign language)
Why was it necessary to be speaking in tongue (i.e. speak in a foreign language)
Why did Cornelius' household speak in tongue that without interpretation was understood by the present audience?

What are the two common denominators in the case of tongue speaking on Pentecost and at Cornelius' household?
The exhibits and evidences are clearly there on display...

blueAgent:
not speaking or making unintelligent sounds
You havent seen unintelligent and unintelligible yet
Do you know, one time ago, a certain lady penterascal had the nerve to try typing praying in tongues on Facebook?

blueAgent:
people read the Bible literally without understanding its meaning
Also such people like coveting parts in the bible that arent theirs or necessarily is for them
The Bible is a book of division, with parts to the relevant.
and that is why the advice to:
Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by blueAgent(m): 2:25pm On Jul 22, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
The thing tire we ooo

The fascinating eye-openers are knowing who were originally to benefit from speaking in tongue (i.e. speak in a foreign language)
Why was it necessary to be speaking in tongue (i.e. speak in a foreign language)
Why did Cornelius' household speak in tongue that without interpretation was understood by the present audience?

What are the two common denominators in the case of tongue speaking on Pentecost and at Cornelius' household?
The exhibits and evidences are clearly there on display...

You havent seen unintelligent and unintelligible yet
Do you know, one time ago, a certain lady penterascal had the nerve to try typing praying in tongues on Facebook?

Also such people like coveting parts in the bible that arent theirs or necessarily is for them
The Bible is a book of division, with parts to the relevant.
and that is why the advice to:
Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

People just don't read their Bible. they depend on others to read and interpret the Bible for them.A lot of things we have believed over the years both in the Circular world and in christaindom are all lies.
No wonder God called the Devil father of lies.
the Bible prophised that even the Elect( those who honestly serve God will be decieved)
◄ Matthew 24:24
King James Bible
For there shall arise false Christs, and false
prophets, and shall shew great signs and
wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by Whizzdom(m): 6:09pm On Jul 23, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
[size=3pt]Gombs - LOL ooo ybɒɘɿ ƨi booʇ ubudO ʇo idO[/size]You have every legitimate reason to be surprised because the way speaking in tongues is being done today - church folk, 21st century believers uttering unintelligible words is bable, confused noise made by a number of voices

Sir, what about tongues of the Spirit, the Holy Spirit, are you saying that there is nothing like heavenly language?
1Corinthians 14:23 - 24 says that:

23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all,

25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

and I quote: So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?

again I quote: will they not say that you are out of your mind?

Why would Paul say that: will they not say that you are out of your mind? he said that because the person is not speaking a language that the non-believers or the outsiders hears, that is the reason it was said, will they not say that you are out of your mind?, cos they wouldn't say you are out of your mind if you are speaking a language they understand. e.g. You are an Ibo man, you only understand igbo language, you now attend a church (for the first time) that speaks only Hausa language, you would recognise the language as Hausa, you wouldn't say they are out of their mind. but when you attend a church that the worshippers speaks in an unknown tongues, you would say that they are crazy. In the case of prophecy, you are speaking a language that both the believers and unbelievers understands.
Re: What Does It Mean To Speak In Tongues? by MuttleyLaff: 6:05pm On Jul 24, 2016
Whizzdom:
Sir, what about tongues of the Spirit, the Holy Spirit, are you saying that there is nothing like heavenly language?
Instead of answering your: ''are you saying that there is nothing like heavenly language?'' question,
I am going to reply first, by saying 1 Corinthians 14:23-24 doesnt have anything to do with any heavenly language

Now my second reply is that, the ''mysteries by the Spirit'' in 1 Corinthians 14:2 is not tongues of the Spirit
Seems someone has have taken in, 1 Corinthians 14:2, its context and other verses elsewhere, in a wrong sense, to equal to ''tongues of the Spirit'' or mean ''heavenly language''

We know that often when heaven communicates with us, its often not audible,
and even if or when it is audible, it is going to be in a human form of language
(i.e. always in a language we understand, and if not, then interpretation will follow)

Watch this, when a football team or any other sporting team plays in the spirit to win, did the team spirit that made them win communicate with the players audibly?
No, they were moved by the power of the team spirit, when every team member gelled and tuned in

My third reply would have been over tongues of the Spirit, the Holy Spirit,
but then you have tongue in plural, (i.e. tongues) so suggesting there are more than one languages of the Holy Spirit

I am trying to prevent an information overload, so will pause at this juncture for now, and wait for you to come back

(1) (Reply)

Empowerment For Successful Breakthrough / Prayer Is The Cause Of Nigeria's Backwardness! / Why Do Christians Discriminate White Garment Churches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.