Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,453 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today (21492 Views)

Lagos Starts Total Evacuation Of Tankers On Apapa-oshodi Expressway / Fayose To Inaugurate EGEM, Ekiti Grazing Enforcement Marshalls Against Fulani / Ban On Hawking: Traders Arrested In Lagos (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by tizblink: 8:43am On Jul 04, 2016
oloworulz:
there is no alternative. let the Igbo boys pack their load and return to their state

Omoh vhis talk just doesn't make sense

Hian
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by Baroba(m): 8:44am On Jul 04, 2016
mrkayusfit:
Even tho the policy sounds elitist, it's a welcome development. We all envy the progress of the Western world but we frown at policies that can make our society be like theirs. No street hawker in London, nobody sells sausage in newyork traffic. I think it's time people start realizing that lagos is like a country in Nigeria where other vices in other states will not be tolerated. Nigeria has 36 states and as a citizen you are free to live in any of the remaining 35 States if hawking is your destiny. Most people living in Lagos have no business there. Most Nigerians see lagos as a greener pasture or mini London hence they relocate there with little money and resources with which they can thrive in more economic friendly cities to suffer for nothing. How do you explain youths leaving the southeast en-mass with the hope of selling gala and lacasera in traffic all in the name of living in Lagos? How do you explain northerners leaving there states only to come to lagos with the hope of begging and sleeping under bridges? Go back to your state if you can't cope with the directives of the lagos state government. For the fact that your parents raised you to become a doctor through selling wares on the streets doesn't make Street hawking right. No sane society allows such menace to thrive. If the hawker that was crushed by a BRT bus happened to be your family member, i guess you won't fault this policy. Living in Lagos is not by force, go back to wherever you come from. undecided

You forgot to mention the Yoruba s that migrate from other Yoruba states en mass to Lagos, you cant eat your bloody cake and have it, its one Nigeria, freedom of movement is allowed, Deal with it!! Northerners and Igbos aint going anywhere soon, you better get use to it..

4 Likes

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by Dilidee(m): 8:45am On Jul 04, 2016
ArmedRobber:

Let iya afeez and iya monsura find attachment in the street and leave highway ,
They re not used to highway selling until igbo boys influenced them.
They will surely find their way out,this is child's play compared to what fashola did to iyalojas.
They still survive by attaching to those that have shops arround.
Highway hawking should be scrapped.
If you want be sincere 2 urslf..visit ojota to ikorodu u'll c the wonders yoruba women do with lacassera,botle water nd gala hawking..and how d housa's level speed with vehicles trading yam,tomatoes etc.

3 Likes

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by tizblink: 8:45am On Jul 04, 2016
sinistermind:

You just had to be tribalistic because you saw "uche". What of the Yoruba woman and her kids hawking pure water at Ketu? What about the Hausa man selling tomatoes on Mile 12 bridge? It is really saddening the way some of you reason.

Gbam baba
Thank you

I saw the post and got numb
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by Nobody: 8:46am On Jul 04, 2016
When election is approaching,those who are enforcing the ban on street trading will be withdrawn by this same enforcer.Bunch of hypocrite.
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by Owliver(m): 8:46am On Jul 04, 2016
it's funny how people here are quick to agree with the government on this issue.

go close to those guys you'll understand their pains. no choice. man must eat.

may we not experience hunger.
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by niyot124: 8:47am On Jul 04, 2016
oloworulz:
there is no alternative. let the Igbo boys pack their load and return to their state

Stop being so tribalistic now.

Don't worry I am not igbo.
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by naptu2: 8:48am On Jul 04, 2016
Confessionary??
Confessionary??

Do they mean confectionery?

1 Like

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:49am On Jul 04, 2016
When will they ban okada on our expressway
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by tizblink: 8:50am On Jul 04, 2016
Adaure4ever:
Not just Lagos, Street hawking should be ban in almost all State Capitals..
A mini low cost shops should be built to accomodate these street hawkers.

Sure but these shops should already be in place before total ban.

Just like when motorcycles where banned, hire purchase cars were made available
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:51am On Jul 04, 2016
madridguy:
Ambode Plz don't add to people suffering. No one is happy doing street/highway hawking but man must chop. Don't just ban street hawking provide alternative.

I stand with the masses.

mention the alternatives.
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by Baroba(m): 8:51am On Jul 04, 2016
Apostlevincent:
LETTER TO LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT ON
ABROGATION OF STREET HAWKING : CONSEQUENCES
AND DANGER AHEAD BY OMORILEWA TOMILOLA
Your Excellency Sir,
I appreciate your concern towards the betterment of life of
every Lagosian; your performance within the few months of
assumption as the Lagos State Governor is an assurance of
a better life for Lagos and Lagosians in years to come. I
say more powers to your elbow sir!
It no longer a news that the Lagos State Government under
your instructions has abrogated street hawking in Lagos
State, yet, I hope you would reverse your decision after
reading my passionate Letter as a child who had the
opportunity of Tertiary Education through hawking
enterprise.
Hawking is a common phenomenon among petty traders
who vend and offer goods for sale via advertisement-by-
shouting. In some major cities of Nigeria, it has become an
Enterprise or a Craft through which poor people get their
daily meals. Indeed, I would have supported your opinion to
abrogate hawking, especially when we consider the risk and
danger attributed to underage hawking in Lagos. It is true
there had been occurrences where young hawkers were
kidnapped for ritual purposes, where female hawkers were
raped, where some were killed by hit-and-run vehicles on
the highway, where some had been used in syndicate
crimes, etc. Yet, it must be said that Hawking is an oxygen
through which some people live, remove it and so many
people will die; so many destinies will shatter. Ironically,
there are so many great people in power today who have
been clamouring for the abrogation of street hawking, who
were trained to greatness by their hawking parents.
Government can not provide everything for the people. It
should be noted therefore that the people also have
responsibilities to sustain themselves. Take for example,
Education has become expensive; it is even more expensive
now as against the assurances of free education and
scholarship we anticipated. And now that it is clear that
the Government is not interested in providing support
services for the people, won't it be tantamount to a sin if
the other means of livelihood of the people who wishes to
be educated is taking away from them?
If i may ask these few questions sir:
1. What other alternative means of living have you devised
for these hawking-dependants?
2. What palliative measures have you put in place for these
hawkers to cushion down the consequential effect of your
decision sir?
As we all know, high cost of living in Lagos-Nigeria has
astronomically gone up. Life in Lagos has become so costly
and the class of frustrated poor hawkers in Lagos may
begin to seek solace in illegality if you refuse to reverse and
modify your decision or if quick measures are not put in
place to pacify them sir.
I humbly urge you to quickly check into this matter before it
boomerangs Your Excellency.
Finally, let me suggest the following as ways forward:
1. Rather than totally abrogating the hawking enterprise in
Lagos State, the State Government can insist on the
prohibition of underage hawking while the adults can
continue with their petty businesses and means of
livelihood.
2. The Lagos State could bring up an agency such as the
Lagos State Agency on Vending and Hawking (LASAVAH).
This agency shall be saddled make policies and regulatory
laws on conduct and activities of the vending Hawkers in
Lagos.
3. The Lagos State Government can also embark on
Hawkers Census through which it could have the statistical
index of all hawkers in Lagos State, their data and location.
It is my belief and conviction as young student of
governance and public policy that these suggestions will in
no small measure assist the Lagos State Government and
the congregation of poor Lagos State Hawkers too.
God bless you
OMORILEWA VINCENT TOMILOLA
00 LEVEL STUDENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE
EKSU, NIGERIA
7AB17784

There is still hope for this nation with folks that reason like you, well articulated bro..

1 Like

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by anigbajumo(m): 8:51am On Jul 04, 2016

Ambode has been impressive so far but this decision is completely out of sense.Listen to radio Lagos nd I realized how poor people laments about this barbaric act.

Lot's of graduate find this as means of feeding themselves,graduates,family men, women nd immigrants from other state just for them to meet their daily bread.

The question is which work did Ambode provide or wat did u want them to do in other to meet their daily target as usual??

In this present Economy of this country where the Average Nigerian that works effectively can't even feed themselves as they like.......

Ambode should expect increase in crime rate in Lagos any moment from now if the law is implemented.

2 Likes

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by anonimi: 8:51am On Jul 04, 2016
kygo:
Its a welcomed development... We want to be like Europe but can't accept the terms and conditions....though its gonna affect a lot of people,but of you ain't stepping on toes,you definitely ain't doing the right thing........make una follow me jor kiss lipsrsealed sad angry

The terms and conditions of "beautiful" Europe is based on education, education and more education.
Something that Awolowo understood
but those claiming to be his political heirs do not. Definitely portrays them as bastards who have ruled ruined Lagos state since 1999.

Babasessy:

Awo Family Without An Awo By Sam Omatseye (The Offensive Article)

The Awolowo rebirth in the Southwest has inspired gongs, songs and rhetoric of sorts. But they have missed one point.

It occurred to me in Abeokuta last week amidst the big crowds and euphoria of the swearing-in of Senator Ibikunle Amosun as governor. In all the states from Lagos to Edo, where Awo has witnessed ideological resurgence, hardly a single family member has played a role.

So we have an Awo family without an Awo. That is an irony. But history overwhelms us with this sort of twist. Obafemi Awolowo toiled for his reputation. His roots were lowly, he toiled to school both home and abroad, launched into careers in law, business, journalism and eventually politics. He carved a niche for himself, and became the first methodical and charismatic leftist in our history.  Other leftists abounded but they did not inspire comparable drama and following.

He faced tribulations, went to jail, failed in elections, won a few, but he imprinted his ideas and legacy in the country, and no single mortal has beaten him in the history of this country. His greatest achievement was in the area of ideas, and that was how he fashioned a family. Most families are born of biology but his issued from ideology. That family suffered with him.

In a spoof of Jesus Christ, these were the men who followed him in his teachings, and endured with him in his temptations. So he formed a kingdom for them in the Southwest, in the old Western Region, presiding over his projects, his legacies and people.

In all of these, the family he had was not his flesh and blood. In another spoof of Christ, who were his family anyway? Those who were with him must be counted as his family. So, I combed in the ambience of Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN), and I found none. I went to Ogun, I frisked the crowd under Amosun’s bower, hardly any. Around Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola in Osun, I could not lay a finger. With Governor Kayode Fayemi in Ekiti, where are the forbears of Awo? Yet, I can hear the chants of Awo. Hardly in any of the inaugural speeches or any of their other public intervention would you miss the philtre and filter of Awo from these gentlemen. To parody Novelist Joseph Conrad, they are the sparks from Awo’s sacred fire, the messengers of the might within the man.

Already all of them are pursuing the legacy ideas of Awo: free education, free health services, infrastructural development, urban renewal and economic engineering.

Lagos has posted itself as the John the Baptist. The others are putting up valiant efforts, and the world of course is watching to see how well they will perform. It will call for great work, resourcefulness and cooperation. They are the real Awoists, and Awo was a man of rigour and vigour.

The Awo son that many expected to take after the father was Olusegun, who unfortunately died in a car crash. We shall never know if he could have pulled it off.  But the others have not shown much of the paterfamilias’ brio and depth. In the past decade, under this republic, they have blended with the wrong crowd. Even H.I.D, hobnobbed with Alao-Akala, who brought illiteracy to governance; with Oyinlola who turned the grace of office into a hell-hole of despots; with Daniel who could not arrest his quick fall into megalomania.

I wrote once that this woman whom Awo once described as the jewel of inestimable value has lost value to his cause. If he came back to life, he would have committed the extraordinary act of divorce after death. Even his newspaper, The Tribune, has so stumbled and fallen that it swims in Awo’s vomit.

Groucho Max, one of the funniest satirists in American history, said of a man that he got his looks from his father. Then he quipped, “He was a plastic surgeon.” That means the son is not his real son, or he did not inherit his natural looks. Ideologically, when we talk of Awo’s family, the chief inheritor is Asiwaju Bola Tinubu as the leader of all the others. He was the one who stuck his neck out. He could have lost his life or ended his career in politics. The so-called real Awolowos who bear his surname cannot come up for mention. They are Awolowos but not Awoists. They stabbed their father in the back. They have committed ideological parricide.

The only person that made a real try was Awolowo-Dosunmu in the early 1990s and she lost roundly. She was accused of trying to ride her father’s coattail. Political families are good for democracies. They can exemplify the high ideals of diligence, dignity, ideas, character. We have seen these in such families as the Kennedys, the Adamses, the Roosevelts, the Ghandis. They just don’t claim family. They appeal to the high ideals that endeared the families to their societies.

It’s also an irony that these families are falling into twilight. Some of them have vanished. Enoch Powell, a British MP, once gave us the famous line: “All political lives, unless they are cut off midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure because that is the nature of politics and human affairs.”

Columnist Ambassador Dapo Fafowora adverted to this idea in a recent outing, and I debated it with him afterwards. I don’t believe that a political life should be judged by how it ends but what it means. The quote is often missed by many who mistake “careers” for “lives.” A political life should be judged by its legacies. If we judged Awo by how he ended, we would look at him only as the loser to Shagari. That is why I see an intrinsic mischief in Enoch’s quote. But I would agree that political families end also in failure if you judge how they peter out and not the legacy.

Awo’s legacy is alive and well. Members of other families in flesh and blood can carry on. Immediate families tend to suffer from what an author, Noemie Emery, describes as dynastic curse. The children tend to be intimidated by the standards set by the fathers. So they just don’t want to try. They feel they cannot match them or come even close.  The problem probably comes from the fathers themselves. The Adams, who produced important presidents, later gave birth to moral vagrants and drunks. The Bush daughters showed themselves as party girls when their father was contesting the political battle of his life.

But Joe Kennedy groomed his sons assiduously, and they excelled in politics. They also had a fair share of tragedies. Ted Kennedy regained his sobriety and voice in America after a season of debauchery. In Nigeria, we are seeing the Sarakis fade. A Saraki – Bukola - is wiping out the Sarakis from politics. It is a classic case of oedipal tragedy, something I predicted earlier this year on this page.

It is not late though for the flesh-and-blood Awolowos to join their father’s fold. But they must be genuine. Awo was the most important Yoruba personage in history after Oduduwa. They had stellar men like Oranmiyan, Balogun Latosa, Lisabi, Sodeke, et al. None of them had the unifying vision and organisational acumen that Awolowo gave the race. The wife, children and grandchildren should not watch others glow in his jewel without them.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/columnist/monday/sam-omatseye/index.1.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by omojeesu(m): 8:52am On Jul 04, 2016
Anti-people anti-poor policy!
God will always defend the powerless.
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by RichieDaVinci01(m): 8:53am On Jul 04, 2016
TheNewIbadan:
[size=18pt]Ibos, you've been warned. Enough fanyogo street hawking. Yorubas, if you buy from them, you buy time.[/size]
so iz only yoruba's that buy fanyogo you need rehabilitation
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by wristbangle: 8:54am On Jul 04, 2016
Beremx:
There we go again! So it was Igbo boys who hawk on the road influenced yoruba people to hawk? I give up on your reasoning.

No mind the shallow reasoning dude
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by anonimi: 8:54am On Jul 04, 2016
omojeesu:
Anti-people anti-poor policy!

God will always defend the powerless.

Can you please explain HOW God will defend the powerless when he has given them power but they refused to use it?
Thanks.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3084794_DumbPeople_jpg287f2b4d3ead2f536f99f92cbca9c590

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by ikorodureporta: 8:54am On Jul 04, 2016
They shld explain d type of street hawkers. Is it just traffick hawkers? What abt agege bread sellers, abboki cloth seller, abboki fruits & foodstuff wheel barrow sellers, GSM sellers,..... & Olos undecided
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by ehissi(m): 8:56am On Jul 04, 2016
mrkayusfit:
Even tho the policy sounds elitist, it's a welcome development. We all envy the progress of the Western world but we frown at policies that can make our society be like theirs. No street hawker in London, nobody sells sausage in newyork traffic. I think it's time people start realizing that lagos is like a country in Nigeria where other vices in other states will not be tolerated. Nigeria has 36 states and as a citizen you are free to live in any of the remaining 35 States if hawking is your destiny. Most people living in Lagos have no business there. Most Nigerians see lagos as a greener pasture or mini London hence they relocate there with little money and resources with which they can thrive in more economic friendly cities to suffer for nothing. How do you explain youths leaving the southeast en-mass with the hope of selling gala and lacasera in traffic all in the name of living in Lagos? How do you explain northerners leaving there states only to come to lagos with the hope of begging and sleeping under bridges? Go back to your state if you can't cope with the directives of the lagos state government. For the fact that your parents raised you to become a doctor through selling wares on the streets doesn't make Street hawking right. No sane society allows such menace to thrive. If the hawker that was crushed by a BRT bus happened to be your family member, i guess you won't fault this policy. Living in Lagos is not by force, go back to wherever you come from. undecided

At least sausages/hot dogs/papers are sold on the sidewalk even in newyork!!

No be the same ambode whey buy roasted corn for road na dey ban trading.

E fit be say na hawking whey e mama use take train am oooh!! Whey e dey government house dey talk rubbish.

Make all the traders chill till 2019 jare! As e take do okada na so e go take do una for election weather.......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by dave1614: 8:56am On Jul 04, 2016
oloworulz:
guy forget you are **** callous.
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by Jamean(f): 8:56am On Jul 04, 2016
wristbangle:

Where were u when lagos state announced last week that agberos, touts and omo oniles will be apprehended henceforth? sad

I was in the kitchen doing my laundry undecided
Henceforth ko, already ni.

They are hard on the hawkers because they know that they are helpless unlike the agberos and other nuisance that have societal figures as their patriarch, they are aware it won't be an easy fit to get rid of them.
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by anonimi: 8:57am On Jul 04, 2016
kushkingstalin:
Tell the cowardic and loose mouthed bastardic yolubaaaas
Yolubas are not trustworthy
Cowards!
What was mr Watermelon head thinking when he endorsed the ban?
Most of the hawkers can't even afford a kiosk...do you pro-ambode bastards think these hawkers are proud walking under the steaming sun daily to make ends meet?
Most walking piece of cow droppings here are pointing fingers to the yeeeboos as the starters of hawking...
Ain't y'all a shame to ya mama womb...
Ass*Holes
Ahllahu Akbar!

Is this not also happening in other parts of our country?
Are the politicians in your corner not going back on their promises and shortchanging those they courted in order to get into power?
I hope that you can answer honestly.
I hope.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3043814_facebook20151105005801_jpeg1027baba4e35e791f3661e85d47d5487

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by redcliff: 8:57am On Jul 04, 2016
madridguy:
Ambode Plz don't add to people suffering. No one is happy doing street/highway hawking but man must chop. Don't just ban street hawking provide alternative.

I stand with the masses.

what alternative is there to provide for something that was not meant to be in the first place?

1 Like

Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 04, 2016
oloworulz:
Wetin consign igbo for dis mata? Or na only dem dey hawk for Lagos?
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by idesylvester(m): 9:01am On Jul 04, 2016
My problem is the Law Enforcement who by themselves can still break d law

Those guys sayin igbo pack n go think again, nt only igbo's r hawkin , if u must knw igbo's r leadin in d market places n also promotin lagos cos we're all one
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by nwatiti(m): 9:01am On Jul 04, 2016
no matter how u treat them they will still excel ,even the devil knows it....igbos are more than creative
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by just2okworld(f): 9:02am On Jul 04, 2016
madridguy:

I stand with the masses.

I hope this gets to him n he understands that some people just need survive
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by Abodunrin07(m): 9:02am On Jul 04, 2016
How will they survive
Re: Enforcement Of Ban On Hawking In Lagos Starts Today by fixmykey(m): 9:03am On Jul 04, 2016
What about Agboro? which is more offensive, street trading and agbero's?
This is not a priority for now. Let me first stop agbero and other illegal task collectors

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fulfill Your Promise To Nigerians – Atiku Tells Buhari / Nigeria-Niger Mega Rail Project Threatened, Over 1,000 Trucks Trapped / APGA Campaign Tour In Nnewi Today(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.