Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,704 members, 7,831,206 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says (14575 Views)

Rats Invasion: Buhari Is The Worst President Ever - Mike Ozekhome / How Osinbajo ‘goofed’ On Nigeria Remaining Together – Niger Delta Monarch, Ayemi / Absolute Immunity Is No Longer Allowed Under The Law- Falana Tells Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 12:10pm On Jul 04, 2016
anonimi:

I am not asking about speculations on why.
No.
I am asking whether we should be CONCERNED.
Thanks.

I wish another person takes that case up.

The certificate of the president is not a personal matter.

We all deserve to know where it is if it exist at all.

When Trump Challenged Obama on his Birth Certifcate , he released it for all to see.

Even if the certificate is lost or stolen. Photocopy of the original sheet showing other candidates would have helped.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by PhilemonObende: 12:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
Falana will go down in history as the yoruba charge-and-bail man who tried to convince ua that it cheaper and more sensible to employ 16 SANs to go speak long grammar in court than to simply tender a common WAEC certificate. What a buffoon!

grin grin grin
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by tee10: 12:19pm On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

You can keep asking again and again.

I have answered you unless in your opinion Tax Forgery Case against Ikpeazu is not Criminal.

If immunity covers that circumstance, the charges would be automatically suspended till the end of his tenure.

The case a Ikpeazu is not criminal. I see the source of ur confusion now.

The planitiff only advers that a criminal offience was commited in d processing of electoral process

Individuals don't institute criminal proceedings in Nigerian

The STATE/ DPP/ EFCC or other agents of state does! U goffed

Its purely an election matter: ie whether an individual was validly elected Governor
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by ransomed: 12:24pm On Jul 04, 2016
Certificated Liars that some people nickname lawyers are the major problems of this country. They run to court to get Restraining orders, injuctions and "touch not my corrupt clients" pronouncements from kowtowed Judges at the detriment of the nation and suffering masses. Lawyers, judges and politicians are operating like occultic group to decieve Nigerians from time immemorial. It is written that : woes are for Lawyers. Check Luke 11 : 46, before you crucify me. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by popsonbj: 12:25pm On Jul 04, 2016
IMMUNITY tends to corrupt,
ABSOLUTE immunity CORRUPTS
absolutely!

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by tee10: 12:27pm On Jul 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

The case against Tinubu thrown out, was it an electoral fraud case? Answer the question and understand AntiWailer's point.

It was a civil case. Thrown out based on Section 308

By d way all lawyers and even a 200 level law student know u can sue a Governor based on electoral matters

So stop been clever by half!

Issue can d EFCC freeze a Governor acount in light of section 308?

Fayose may be a criminal, but u can't turn d law upside down in ur attempt to bring him to justice!
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by popsonbj: 12:29pm On Jul 04, 2016
tee10:

Unless you have a problem with comprehension

Electoral matters are generic, mick and falana and I agree on that!

That you can sue a governor on electoral matters is settled LAW!

Question is: can u maintain a criminal charge against a sitting Governor giving d express provision of Section 308 of 1999 constitutions as amended?

You are diverting this debate to another realm entirely.
Fayose is NOT being prosecuted BUT being
INVESTIGATED. So, please do not misform the public about
the the issue at stake!

2 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:32pm On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

I wish another person takes that case up.

The certificate of the president is not a personal matter.

We all deserve to know where it is if it exist at all.

When Trump Challenged Obama on his Birth Certifcate , he released it for all to see.

Even if the certificate is lost or stolen. Photocopy of the original sheet showing other candidates would have helped.

What else did the Certificate people want? I remember during the election people contacted the Examination body in England and they confirmed Buhari wrote the exam.

The exams was ages ago and the format, is different. The fact is that he wrote his exam.

The results, obtained exclusively by PREMIUM TIMES Wednesday, confirm Mr. Buhari’s claim that he undertook the University of Cambridge West African School Certificate Examinations and obtained five credits in English Language, Geography, Hausa Language, History, and Health Science.

PREMIUM TIMES obtained the computer printout from Cambridge University as well as a statement of result, signed by the current principal of Katsina College, dated January 21, 2015.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/175384-breaking-katsina-college-releases-buharis-%E2%80%8Bwasc-results.html

Note, PremiumTimes obtained a printout from Cambridge University.
Go to the link, you will see a computer printout from Cambridge University.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:34pm On Jul 04, 2016
tee10:

By d way all lawyers and even a 200 level law student know u can sue a Governor based on electoral matters

You that is clever by full, what is your point again. Are you saying Femi Falana is right or wrong?
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:39pm On Jul 04, 2016
tee10:

The case a Ikpeazu is not criminal. I see the source of ur confusion now.

The planitiff only advers that a criminal offience was commited in d processing of electoral process

Individuals don't institute criminal proceedings in Nigerian

The STATE/ DPP/ EFCC or other agents of state does! U goffed

Its purely an election matter: ie whether an individual was validly elected Governor

FayOle's investigation is purely electoral because the money was used for electoral fraud. That is why there is no Absolute Immunity. When the crime is linked to Electoral fraud, it becomes a purely electoral case.

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by DobleO7: 12:42pm On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

See forget Politics .

FALANA is very correct. Without just ranting, let me explain with examples.

One of his point is that the immunity does not cover electoral crimes.

Check meaning of Absolute first before you jump on the argument.

Synonyms of ABSOLUTE It is not a law term it means
synonyms: complete, total, utter, out-and-out, outright, entire, perfect, pure, decided;

Try not to see everything in the prism of PDP so that whatever analogy you present is assimilated by readers without sensing bias. Someone might similarly say that Falana is an APC lawyer, therefore his submission tilts in favour of APC. This is my humble "LOKOMAPI".

The above makes the STATEMENT a STATEMENT of FACT.

1. Buhari was in court for his certificate issue cos it affects his election.

2. Ikpeazu was in court because of tax papers that affect his election

3. Gani Fawehinmi took Tinubu to court independently over Toronto Certificate forgery.

4. Sitting governors are tackled from Tribunal to supreme Court despite immunity.

1, 2 and 3 are not electoral petitions. They are suits against people who enjoy immunity but the suit was entertained because it can be categorised as an electoral crime.

So we dnt need a PHD in Law before you know WHAT falana is saying is simply the truth.

"No absolute immunity in our Law. If there is, Ikpeazu wont be running helter skelter, looking for court injunction"

Mike is a PDP lawyer and infact he is currently defending Fayose.

So I dnt expect him to take another position.

It is only victims of headlines that will scream.

2 Likes

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:43pm On Jul 04, 2016
tee10:

Issue can d EFCC freeze a Governor acount in light of section 308?

Fayose may be a criminal, but u can't turn d law upside down in ur attempt to bring him to justice!

Who is turning the law Upside down? FayOle used embezzled money to give himself an unfair advantage in election. He is being investigated based on that. No immunity protects him from an electoral investigation. So no Absolute Immunity. Very simple.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by july66: 12:43pm On Jul 04, 2016
Ozekhome is a sound lawyer. I respect him anytime, anyday. Falana was good but his views now have partisan finishing. Remember he was among those short-listed for AGF by PMB. The lecture referred to by Ozekhome was delivered at an event for Edo SSG, apc man.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by tee10: 12:46pm On Jul 04, 2016
popsonbj:

You are diverting this debate to another realm entirely.
Fayose is NOT being prosecuted BUT being
INVESTIGATED. So, please do not misform the public about
the the issue at stake!

Certainly Governors don't have immunity from investigation!

However I will remind u dt a certain Governor's bank account has been frozen?

The line between investigation and persecution is not very distinct now

Fayose may be guilty and may be a criminal but turning law upside down as been opined by my learned slick does not serve the interest of justice

Let's learn to do the proper thing, no matter how difficult
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by slimfit1(m): 12:51pm On Jul 04, 2016
ReabridCharles:
Simple and comprehensive roar from Mike Ozekhome.

Falana was a man I really respected his sense of jurisprudence, how he changes is what surprises me.

If those who interpret the law be divided, what hope is there for the common man?

God! Nigeria! Where is the future you promised us?

Fayose is morally bankrupt if not he shouldn't have come out in public to shout. We and some families have lost members as a result of our military men not performing their duties because of fund diversion and substandard equipment.
At a time that we need our country to be well secured some people are engaging in looting how do you call that patriotic.
We are talking about a constitution that people didn't even bother to go through before calling it constitution.

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by tee10: 12:51pm On Jul 04, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Who is turning the law Upside down? FayOle used embezzled money to give himself an unfair advantage in election. He is being investigated based on that. No immunity protects him from an electoral investigation. So no Absolute Immunity. Very simple.

At this point I say no more.

The case is in court, let both parties test there views in court.

Let me remind u the case against fayose rest on money laundary and not “electoral fraud” thay u hang on to
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by pedrilo: 12:57pm On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

See forget Politics .

synonyms: complete, total, utter, out-and-out, outright, entire, perfect, pure, decided;

3. Gani Fawehinmi took Tinubu to court independently over Toronto Certificate forgery.

4. Sitting governors are tackled from Tribunal to supreme Court despite immunity.

*1, 2 and 3 are not electoral petitions. They are suits against people who enjoy immunity but the suit was entertained because it can be categorised as an electoral crime.*

So we dnt need a PHD in Law before you know WHAT falana is saying is simply the truth.

"No absolute immunity in our Law. If there is, Ikpeazu wont be running helter skelter, looking for court injunction"

In ur quest to promote the argument put forth by ur master, u kowtowed the same margin of error by deliberately avoiding the above quote from Ozekhome "Election petitions are generic, they are generic because they are in a class of their own. They are a hybrid, neither civil or criminal procedures. That is why *it is the CONSTITUTION itself that GIVES the RIGHT for a governor to be sued* *when they are CHALLENGING his MANDATE*, it is not the lower laws like an Act of parliament like EFCC. “EFCC is an act of parliament which is millions of miles lower than the provisions of the constitution".

from the above clarifications, kindly juxtapose the bolded with the suit filed against Fayose by EFCC and tell me if it has anything to do with his MANDATE/election as Gov of Ekiti state.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Cotton(m): 1:06pm On Jul 04, 2016
from the above clarifications, kindly juxtapose the bolded with the suit filed against Fayose by EFCC and tell me if it has anything to do with his MANDATE/election as Gov of Ekiti state.

Has a suit been filed against Fayose by the EFCC?

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 1:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
pedrilo:

In ur quest to promote the argument put forth by ur master, u kowtowed the same margin of error by deliberately avoiding the above quote from Ozekhome "Election petitions are generic, they are generic because they are in a class of their own. They are a hybrid, neither civil or criminal procedures. That is why *it is the CONSTITUTION itself that GIVES the RIGHT for a governor to be sued* *when they are CHALLENGING his MANDATE*, it is not the lower laws like an Act of parliament like EFCC. “EFCC is an act of parliament which is millions of miles lower than the provisions of the constitution".

EFCC did not file any suit against Fayose and suit filed by Fayose is different and has nothing to do in this context.

Fayose is under investigation and not under prosecution.

Accounts under investigation can be frozen to aid investigation.

The constitutionality of that is very clear. Even though, debatable in the court of law just like A murderer will have a lawyer defending him too

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by tete7000(m): 1:17pm On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

On your first line, adding abuse to your argument does not make u appear smarter.

ANS to your question : Yes you can. Forgery against Ikpeazu which is still fresh is criminal and also affects the selection process before elections.

Provided you can establish that it gave him undue advantage during election or selection process.

That is why electoral fraud was singled out.

Absolute is synonymous to : complete, total, utter, out-and-out, outright, entire, perfect, pure, decided;

Case :

1. Buhari in court

2. Ikpeazu's tax clearance case

As far as I know electoral matters and all relating to it have to be defended at electoral tribunal up to supreme court level. Once that it has been decided I don't agree such a governor can be taken to court again. Ikpeazu case is still at tribunal level, so it is understood why he still in court. Outside of electoral tribunal, can a sitting president or governor be taken to court except on cases like Buhari's certificate which predates his election and can thus not be suspended? I doubt. Is Fayose's case as to do with electoral tribunal? No! Can EFCC institute such legal case against him as a sitting president? I disagree. If his election has already been challenged at the tribunal up to supreme court and he has been vindicated, no more can be done against him until he leaves office. If they have those allegations of money laundering against his election, they should have taken it to the tribunal. Of course we know the tribunal itself has a time limit beyond when you can't sue again.

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by Surfboard(m): 1:42pm On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

It was entertained because it has to do with election.

With immunity, all cases are automatically suspended irrespective of the time it started. That is what Ikpeazu was claiming Uche Ugah was trying to do because of his ongoing forgery trial.

So immunity is NOT ABSOLUTE.

Can you state the part of the law that says cases against elected officials must be suspended when they assume office? Maybe that will help clear the air.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:43pm On Jul 04, 2016
tete7000:

As far as I know electoral matters and all relating to it have to be defended at electoral tribunal up to supreme court level. Once that it has been decided I don't agree such a governor can be taken to court again. Ikpeazu case is still at tribunal level, so it is understood why he still in court. Outside of electoral tribunal, can a sitting president or governor be taken to court except on cases like Buhari's certificate which predates his election and can thus not be suspended? I doubt. Is Fayose's case as to do with electoral tribunal? No! Can EFCC institute such legal case against him as a sitting president? I disagree. If his election has already been challenged at the tribunal up to supreme court and he has been vindicated, no more can be done against him until he leaves office. If they have those allegations of money laundering against his election, they should have taken it to the tribunal. Of course we know the tribunal itself has a time limit beyond when you can't sue again.

Without the Investigation, how can the Court determine if FayOle commited an Electoral crime? EFCC are within their rights to investigate if FayOle commited an Electoral crime.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by pedrilo: 1:46pm On Jul 04, 2016
EFCC cud nt freeze fayose's account without approaching the court!
and u can not approach the court to investigate a sitting governor in NIGERIA except issues relating to electoral matters
that is the crux of the matter c'mon!

AntiWailer:

EFCC did not file any suit against Fayose and suit filed by Fayose is different and has nothing to do in this context.

Fayose is under investigation and not under prosecution.

Accounts under investigation can be frozen to aid investigation.

The constitutionality of that is very clear. Even though, debatable in the court of law just like A murderer will have a lawyer defending him too
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 1:59pm On Jul 04, 2016
pedrilo:
EFCC cud nt freeze fayose's account without approaching the court!
and u can not approach the court to investigate a sitting governor in NIGERIA except issues relating to electoral matters
that is the crux of the matter c'mon!

Go online, you will see the court order obtained to freeze the account.

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by nortcentrallord(m): 2:10pm On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

See forget Politics .

1, 2 and 3 are not electoral petitions. They are suits against people who enjoy immunity but the suit was entertained because it can be categorised as an electoral crime.

What have you said that is different from what Mike said? Quit trying to confuse light feather minds. You are trying so hard and it's obvious.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 2:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
nortcentrallord:

What have you said that is different from what Mike said? Quit trying to confuse light feather minds. You are trying so hard and it's obvious.

A valid statement when you have nothing to contribute to the discussion.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by nortcentrallord(m): 2:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
8BitGee:
Ozekhome lacks credibility. He is one of the hand for hire lawyers, others being Ricki Tarfa, Joseph Daudu.

The Constitution does not guarantee immunity from electoral crime. There have been supreme court interpretations in the past about why absolute immunity in this case can lead to anarchy.

If the constitution guarantees absolute immunity, what is the role of electoral tribunals?

Did you even read the thread?

Please let's hear you definition of electoral crime?

What a shame!
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
nortcentrallord:

Why not state why you think FayOle's lawyer is correct?
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by nortcentrallord(m): 2:17pm On Jul 04, 2016
AntiWailer:

A valid statement when you have nothing to contribute to the discussion.

I didn't expect more... judging from your earlier comment. it's a shame.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by AntiWailer: 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2016
nortcentrallord:

nortcentrallord:

I didn't expect more... judging from your earlier comment. it's a shame.

The shame is on you.

Read the topic and read your 2 submissions.
Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:28pm On Jul 04, 2016
nortcentrallord:

Did you even read the thread?

Please let's hear you definition of electoral crime?

What a shame!

There are crimes like Kidnap, murder, Theft, that the Section 308 protects Government officials.

Then we have electoral crimes (Illegal Interference of electoral process) that the Section 308 does not cover the Government Officials.

What Falana is saying is that if crimes like Murder, Theft can be linked to helping the government official win an election, then investigation and further prosecution can happen.

Which means the Immunity is not absolute.

1 Like

Re: Falana Goofed On No Absolute Immunity Submission, Ozekhome says by ReabridCharles(m): 2:38pm On Jul 04, 2016
slimfit1:

Fayose is morally bankrupt if not he shouldn't have come out in public to shout. We and some families have lost members as a result of our military men not performing their duties because of fund diversion and substandard equipment.
At a time that we need our country to be well secured some people are engaging in looting how do you call that patriotic.
We are talking about a constitution that people didn't even bother to go through before calling it constitution.

I would now and always not call looting patriotic. But also, I am not a fan of ambivalence from the high and all mighty political elite.

I only speak against the double standard and impunity of the present administration. Nobody is above the law but clearly some persons are, not of cus because they enacted those laws which also in my point of view makes a poor argument, but because they are affiliates of a particular political party.

All politicians have skeletons in der cupboard. But we must as a people call for the doctrine of necessity and equity. Like as posited "he who comes to equity must come with clean hands"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N317m For Feeding Of Dogs, Horses Ahead Of 2019 Elections- Police, Civil Defence / 3,000 Ondo APC Members Decamp To PDP: 'Hunger, Hardship, APC Like Occult Group' / Appeal Court Nullifies ₦20 Billion Damages Against DSS For Igboho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.