Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

Why Is It That Most Pentecostal Ministers Focus On The Old Testament ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is It That Most Pentecostal Ministers Focus On The Old Testament ? (1494 Views)

Pentecostal Pastors Are Satanic Agents - True worshipers Be Very Careful! / Apostle Chibuzor Gift Chinyere: A Homeless Man Turned General Overseer / Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That Most Pentecostal Ministers Focus On The Old Testament ? by chidebe: 10:52pm On Nov 30, 2006
Re: Why Is It That Most Pentecostal Ministers Focus On The Old Testament ? by Aggressa(m): 12:36am On Dec 01, 2006
@chidebe,
The body of your post contradicts the question topic: but I think I might know what you are asking is why "most pentecostal pastors focus on the new testament with little or no attention given to the old testament."? Right?
If so, I think you might be generalising a little with the saying of "most pentecostal pastors"; did you conduct a survey?, if so how many pastors were included in your survey? How many times did you observe them? Do you think your observation could be confounded or influenced by the pastors you observed? This because I can also say the pastors I observe teach and seek relevant scriptures from both the old and new testament; then it becomes your word against mine. grin
I think what I am driving at is do not make a generalisng statement like that. However, I can say that pentecostal pastors that I observe refer to the relevant part of the Bible, OT and NT, depending on the topic they are teaching or depending on their audience. For example, if you audience are mainly new converts or those who still do not know Jesus as their personal Lord and Saviour, the New Testament is a very good and appropriate place to start teaching them from so as to know about the free gift of salvation, and christian living. On the other hand, if your audience are matured 'church' folks, then references could be made from the old testament to support, yes! to support, the new testament. If you have a mixed audience as in most cases, then teaching could come from anywhere as the Pastor is led.
The theme of the entire Bible is about Jesus Christ: from the promise and prophesies of the coming of Jesus Christ in the old testament; to the revelation of the birth, life, ministry, crusifixion, resurrection and ascencsion in the gospels; further teachings on Jesus's messages in the epistles; and the coming again of the Lord in the book of Revelations. So whether old or new testament, it's all about Jesus Christ, brother.
Re: Why Is It That Most Pentecostal Ministers Focus On The Old Testament ? by chidebe: 3:13am On Dec 02, 2006
Hello Havila,
Thanks for highlighting the contradiction. You are quite in order.
And many thanks for your response to my post. Your view was quite informative.
Re: Why Is It That Most Pentecostal Ministers Focus On The Old Testament ? by TayoD(m): 3:52am On Dec 02, 2006
@Chidebe,

I noticed the contradiction in your post as well and couldn't respond because I really didn't know what you were seeking for. At the same time, it appears we are yet to clear the confusion. Like Havila, my initial thought is that you probably felt that Pentecostal Pastors focus more on the New Testamen than the Old. However, you have now changed the topic to mean that the Pentecostal Pastors focus more on the OT than the NT. What exactly is your opinion or should I say question? Please clear this up.
Re: Why Is It That Most Pentecostal Ministers Focus On The Old Testament ? by chidebe: 5:14am On Dec 02, 2006
Re: Why Is It That Most Pentecostal Ministers Focus On The Old Testament ? by TayoD(m): 12:49pm On Dec 02, 2006
@Chidebe,

In my humble opinion, I have come to observe the opposite of what you have said. Pentecostal Ministers, compared to their Othodox ones spend more time in the NT than the OT. Now, this is assuming you are doing a comparison betweens the Preachers.

On the other hand, if you are not doing any comparison, then I agree that more time needs to be spent in the NT than the OT. Since we live in the NT, most of the time should be spent in the NT while the OT just serves as a corroboration to the NT. I believe the reason why many do not teach the NT as mush is plainly because they do not even understand it.

(1) (Reply)

The Value Of Philosophy (1) / An Incredible Story Of Triumph And Faith @ De Atheists / Does God Exist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.