Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,683 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think (33965 Views)

DESOPADEC Workers Strip Unclad To Protest Non-Payment Of Bonuses (Pics) / Kogi: Children Of ‘big Men’ Among 18,471 Ghost Workers‎ – Report / Helmet Colours And Categories Of Workers That Wear Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 05, 2016
luckynzo:

Without mincing words, this is a very irrational post.
Are you kidding me? Do you know how many people will kill to have an oil job.
All that money and they choose to live a lavish and reckless lifestyle?
Any oil worker that finds him/herself in the situation you've just painted will be in the same situation even if they're Bill Gates. The money will never be enough because the more money they make, the more lavish their lifestyle
People are crying for a $5000 annual income and somebody with a $40000 -$120,000 annual income is crying.
Oya na. Let's switch places. I make N100k monthly and I still have dependents.

Irrational? Nice. You will permit me if I will not respond to this part. I was properly bred and I mindfully appreciate issues before commenting.

1st paragraph I stated facts that we all thought we will be different until we started earning it and found ourselves still struggling with the rat race. 2nd, I talked about cooperative interests. 3rd, I said those getting the jobs should plan their lives. 4th I talked about what we all go through. We start out looking fly and we "clean-out",but latter we have to cut our excesses to meet our responsibilities as we take solace in the fact that we sacrificed for people/dependents. 5th, I supported having multiple income streams.

So how you jumped out with this conclusion is strange. I am guessing you work in a particular industry known for such outbursts.

That The Rich also cry is fact. No one told you not to go seek for the job. Please do and good luck. Infact my prayer is that all those waiting to get it, do so.

You earn 100k, good. Does it satisfy you? If it does then YOU do not need my job. Stay put with the financial discipline. Don't look for better pay. IT IS MAINLY BECUASE OF A HIGHER PAY, that we change jobs here. But If your 100k does not satisfy you given your "100K per month taste", why then do you think 1 million will satisfy you with your "1m per month taste"? People demand from you based on what they feel you earn, 100K. People demand from us based on what they think we earn, "Oyel Compin Moni".

We did not say do not get the jobs. Please do. But note that like everything, the discontentment comes. As you earn, so do your expenses increase in a strange matching manner. Your taste also increases. I hold my view point that after that, after you get the job, you will still notice it is not all rosy and that you are many times broke and in debt.

Does that mean you should quit? Of course not. However it does not remove fact- that your tastes increase, dependents increase, taxes increase, charges on services increase, even union dues increase, you see old classmates today exchange numbers and tomorrow they tell you they need money to complete their house rent, these things are real.

Finally, I am not complaining. We are just saying that the job is good, the conditions of service good, pay/money is good just as responsibilities are high up there and tastes and expectations also. You can either strike a good balance by watching your taste for the ostentatious and unnecessary, and/or get other income streams.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by chachanga: 5:02pm On Jul 05, 2016
And so what; had to stop reading after the 6th paragraph sef!

All I saw was the an account of the demented misadventures of a lost generation.

Folks blessed with great opportunities, sorrounded by great expectations but unable to manage their own sentimentality, vanities and prodigality!

This oil comp job is the same some guys got and bettered their own lives and the lots of their peeps forever, sit down there. And be forming and typing lies for us that the "Oil Comp jobs are not all that grand"! Folks know your type & ur password dey wella!

If you get a Chevron appointment, change ur sim card, lock ur doors & chop alone so that all the witches in ur family & the hired assassinsassassins can await your return the day you eventually decide to visit the village.

Anybody who would elect to end a well-paid career in an oil company heavily burdened with loans and debts or underachievement should be terned a "Useless b@$tard ingrate"! Simple!!
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by hadura29(m): 5:02pm On Jul 05, 2016
joedams:

Yeah, everyone does. But then, there are so many other silent money spinning jobs out there.

Please kindly list them... thanks..

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by golddeejay(m): 5:48pm On Jul 05, 2016
yea...almost all employees go through this. An author called it rat race. the more you earn, the bigger your problems (self made problems)...dats due human's want which is unlimited (I call it greed). So the situation of the oil workers described by d op is a good position to be considering the situation of the country. most people out there will give 'anything' to walk in dat shoes.
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by baba11(m): 6:08pm On Jul 05, 2016
Jarus:
I have worked in the oil and gas sector all my post-NYSC career of over 8 years. I think what the OP said is largely true.

A number of points I want to make

1, There is tendency to be ostentatious among oil and gas workers to live up to societal expectation of "oyel" worker. But personal discipline makes a difference. I have a junior colleague that was earning less than me and living in a 2.5m rented apartment in Lekki Phase 1, while I lived in a 500k per annum house in inner Ajah while doing projects.Although we can argue these are personal choices, convenience comparison etc. Unfortunately, the friend was affected by a recent job cut.

2, There is pressure from friends and family, but this is the case for every working person irrespective of sector. In fact, maybe bankers even have more pressure (well, until recently).

3, Banks chase you with personal loans because they know you have a means to pay back.

4, Many oil and gas worker feel too arrogant to engage in side businesses. I spent the first 6 years of my career having that mentality too. It was only recently that I converted. Despite earning a seven digit figure per month, I run 2 small businesses (career consulting and a barbing salon), whose combined annual turnover is less than my 2 months salary. But I know I have something by the side.

Many oil workers "pity" me. A colleague, an HR person that knows my pay, reading my personal text (on my career consulting) saw where I sent sms to someone to pay 3k for CV review service and was shocked. She doesn't know what the little drops from side business can do.

Overall, I think if you get a good job in an oil and gas company, especially upstream, with proper discipline, you can do wonders with your life in few years. To God be the glory, in just 8 years of work, I'm a proud owner of 2 houses.
Nice one.....
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Jarus(m): 6:43pm On Jul 05, 2016
Ralphlauren:

you are always 'dropping' your salary at any given opportunity. alfa, who asked you how much you earn grow up dude. this is getting boring.

i was expecting you to come and fart on this thread and you didnt dissapoint.

Even though you're a long time stalker, with intention that are far from corrective, I stand corrected.

3 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Nakarey(m): 7:07pm On Jul 05, 2016
Jarus:

Even though you're a long time stalker, with intention that are far from corrective, I stand corrected.

please any oil and gas person should help me out here... how much does welding engineers earn in an oil and gas servicing company, entry level??I am having an interview soon. thanks
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by joseph1013: 7:33pm On Jul 05, 2016
Ralphlauren:

you are always 'dropping' your salary at any given opportunity. alfa, who asked you how much you earn grow up dude. this is getting boring.

Jarus, please ignore. Pull-Down mentality. Na your salary e mention? Stop feeling intimidated, dude.

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 05, 2016
Ralphlauren:

Bad belle!

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by charlove(m): 8:58pm On Jul 05, 2016
if illusion means i have land in lekki
cars, wife and girlfriends
omo, i want am oooo

3 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Afritop(m): 9:09pm On Jul 05, 2016
charlove:
if illusion means i have land in lekki
cars, wife and girlfriends
omo, i want am oooo
grin

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Afritop(m): 9:13pm On Jul 05, 2016
CzarChris:
I was smiling as I was going through the tread smiley. The best decision I made was leaving a oil industry after 5years of working with a multinational(as a contract staff) I had opportunities of renewing my contract or even being made a full staff when life got a bit tough, but I stood my grounds.

Now... Life keeps getting better and better. grin
An illusionary comment

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by CzarChris(m): 10:21pm On Jul 05, 2016
Afritop:

An illusionary comment
Well, young man, I have absolutely nothing to prove to you, but my record in less than 1 year of service in SPDC is still there(probably beaten by now, but the record is still there). I run an engineering consultancy firm now and lecture in a Federal University.
So not everybody on nairaland is your mate.

1 Like

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Mypeople2(m): 11:27pm On Jul 05, 2016
Kakamorufu:
Why should i spend 5million bills on wedding? Where am from, 100k is enough if you plan well, no be by force to make noise for weddings abeg.

And, if i can be earning 1 million naira per month, i will have no second tought about obtaining loan from anybody, i knw the way i manage and spend the little i have for now, not to talk of millions.
In the end, with my savings, its to start my own bussiness and make more cash
My guy,your money never long that is why. When your money done long, by the time u finish spending that 5million, you won't know. You will be the one telling people, "I don't want to spend much "… ..after u have finished spending the millions

2 Likes

Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:20am On Jul 06, 2016
joedams:
The life we’re made to live, the perception friends and even foes have of us is an illusion, the more you look, the less you see. Those were the words of Rachael Kada as I asked about her job and monthly earnings in one of Nigeria’s foremost multinational Oil and Gas companies.

Irrespective of being a mid-management staff of a renowned multinational Oil and Gas company, Rachael is a restless entrepreneur with 3 flourishing small businesses and intent to invest in more. For what we know or perceive of the average Nigerian oil worker, they are comfortable enough to avoid the headaches of the entrepreneurial life. Depending on the company, average industry salaries starts at $45,000 to $140,000 per annum, this is enough to make them an envy in a country like Nigeria.

For so long, Nigerian Oil and Gas workers have been the uber-loved citizens of any Nigerian community or city, they are our favorite aunty and uncles, the ones whose advice our parents will gladly take at the expense of their own wisdom, their children were a delight to the teachers in school, they are seen as the most enlightened in our villages, benevolent spirits, they paid the fees of most members of their extended family, every one looked up to them for survival and livelihood, they received the most respect, were accorded highest privileges and positions in churches. They were easily accorded the positions of deacon and deaconess in church than other members, donation and fund raising events usually would be put off if they happened to be unavailable. They lived the good life everyone else desired, they are the ones who fly abroad often for vacation, their kids attended the best of schools, when they die, everyone who crossed their path during their lifetime ensures to attend their funeral. Even in death, they enjoyed the privileges of reverence.

Somehow they happened to live longer and healthier than anyone else, they stayed longer on their jobs, some putting in twenty five to thirty years before retiring. Job security is usually guaranteed or so we were made to believe.

Rachael thinks those were the good old days, she says everything we think or know about the current generation of Oil workers is a hoax. “They rather envy you and would love to be in your shoes, hustling with certainty that it’s your money at the end of the day”. She argues that this current crop are not staying longer on their jobs because of Job security but because they are bound by loans that need many years to service, they no longer interact freely or even let you know where they work because they are burdened with outstretched arms asking for support from their salaries. They no longer want to be the benevolent spirits we once knew and here is why:

You get this job, everyone thinks it’s fantastic. It actually is, especially if you look around you and consider the economic situation and unemployment rate but its only fantastic for the first 5 years so you start out, making millions every year, opportunity to travel the world, free food from the office cafeteria. For men; girls following you, for women; men afraid to follow you.

You have this career built up in your head, and you plan on working hard to achieve it, then your family members start making demands, you have social, community and even spiritual demands etc. Cost of living continues to build up (only for you), you get married, have children and need a good car for yourself, wife and a good house that befits your ‘status’ and dreams

Then you notice you cant cough out 15 million to buy a land to build house because even if your salary is N1m per month and allowances are another 6 to 8m annually, you have living expenses and so you don’t have bulk money.

This is the point where cooperatives and banks cash in on you. They tell you to take loans to achieve these dreams, Don’t forget, the guy that married needed to spend at least N5m on the wedding, he needs to set up a business for his wife, have girlfriends with expenses in addition to having a wife.

Back to the issue of housing, you finally get the loan to buy a land and you are under pressure to build. Don’t forget that you also need to rent an apartment, pay for 2 years and furnish. Suddenly, you realize that to buy a car for yourself and your wife plus build up the house, you need a second loan probably more than N15m so you try to get N30m so u can build, furnish and buy cars. Your parents and siblings will possibly be on standby with problems and most times, their problems will eat into these loans or your salary, then you have your church and social commitments always on standby.

At this point you are indebted to a bank and Coop for a total of 50m which will take you at least 5 to 7 years to pay off if you are strict (with an Interest rate of 20%.)

With this, you have a picture of the first 10 years of the life of an oil worker, let’s move on to phase two.

THE POINT OF NO RETURN

Just when you think you are about to rest, you have to make bigger commitments. You may be transferred to another city and may need to get a house there. Some may want to build in the village, others want to invest in properties etc, and so you take the next set of loans… another 8 to 10 years hustle.

After 15 to 20 years, you suddenly realize that you have only been working to pay off loans and live an average life. If you want to travel abroad on vacation, that’s another topic.

You remember that career I told you about? The initial plan?

At this point you realize that the kind of politics you need to play to get it may overwhelm you or even change you to someone else. You may also need to spend some more money and invest a lot of emotions and still will not get there. All these while, you were boxed into a small community, an illusion, thinking you’ve attained elite status, cut off from the reality of the outside world, 20 years after, you realize you will soon retire but then your kids start getting into college so you have to double up, you start getting frustrated.

For most people, it always ends like a sad movie, you turn to look around you and your friends on the outside who hustled for the first 10 years of his or her life can afford to give you a loan, they’re more relevant in their communities than you are, better satisfaction and fulfillment because they are in touch with reality. There is a high probability that we die soon after we retire due to our inability to readjust to a normal life.

This is the life of today’s ‘oil worker’, it’s the reason I’m neck deep in running small businesses aside my job in a multinational.

*Rachael Kada: Real names substituted to conceal her identity.

http://thenerveafrica.com/7491/the-illusion-of-big-pay-nigerian-oil-gas-workers-aint-exactly-what-you-think/
this Rachael is an idiot
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by Kakamorufu(m): 4:55am On Jul 06, 2016
Mypeople2:
My guy,your money never long that is why. When your money done long, by the time u finish spending that 5million, you won't know. You will be the one telling people, "I don't want to spend much "… ..after u have finished spending the millions
even make d money long, except am stinkingly rich. As a normal worker, 5m is too much naw
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by emwye(m): 5:31pm On Jul 06, 2016
Na wa oh, see as peope just scatter this Rachael. Make the money na make we see as you spend am. Shiooo!!!
Look, everything in life is relative. The more you make, the more you spend. The same people making noise that they would do wonders with the 1m a month are either not being honest with themselves or disciplined beyond what i see in the life of the average nigerian. Spare me the bullcrap, our lifestyle, culture and general perception of issues is not one that shows financial discipline. Think about it, weddings, funerals, random people asking for money just because they can ask. What about the way the rich flaunt the wealth in the presence of the poor. Look at our infrastructure - how does that demonstrate how disciplined we are. Look at the average student - learning just for what the certificate would do. My rant is not about Rachael but about the nitwits that come online an talk nonsense about discipline which the society at large lacks. PLEASE LOOK INWARD AND SHUT THE HELL UP!
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by ewa20buredi100: 12:27pm On Jul 10, 2016
CzarChris:
Well, young man, I have absolutely nothing to prove to you, but my record in less than 1 year of service in SPDC is still there(probably beaten by now, but the record is still there). I run an engineering consultancy firm now and lecture in a Federal University.

Don't mind him.

Please can you allow or take someone who wishes to do a volunteering job in your firm?
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by ciwi: 12:42pm On Jul 11, 2016
CzarChris:

Please do u still have the connection to link someone up?

I just need a place I can work for a while, plan my life and move on

I'd really appreciate your response
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by CzarChris(m): 5:14pm On Jul 11, 2016
ciwi:

Please do u still have the connection to link someone up?

I just need a place I can work for a while, plan my life and move on

I'd really appreciate your response
to be totally honest with you, I don't think I have. Even if I did, that sector is soo saturated right now that to work there you'll need a well above average grade degree result and short courses, such as HSSE, NEBOSH, QA/QC, welding, drilling, etc. to atleast have a fighting chance.

Goodluck.
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by CzarChris(m): 5:17pm On Jul 11, 2016
ewa20buredi100:

Don't mind him.

Please can you allow or take someone who wishes to do a volunteering job in your firm?

We are mainly into geotechnical and structural engineering jobs. For now not possible.

Good luck though.
Re: The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think by ewa20buredi100: 8:21pm On Jul 11, 2016
CzarChris:
We are mainly into geotechnical and structural engineering jobs. For now not possible.

Good luck though.

Thank you very much for responding.

Please incase of any openings,maybe from a friend or anywhere, i would be glad if you could remember me.

Thank you once again.

BTW sir, i am a graduate of Industrial chemistry (related to chemical engineering) from the University of Benin. I am 26years of age.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Carrying 5 Bags Of Cement On His Head. .. / 5 Disadvantages Of Being A Banker / Cross River Civil Servants Protest Early Salary Payment On December 1, 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.