Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? (2976 Views)

Igbo Lady Tells Her Father About Her Yoruba Boyfriend & Got This Response / 60% Of Married Women Don’t Love Their Husbands- Lady Says, See Response / In Response To A Previous Thread Created By Amara Okafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 05, 2016
I don't know if its just me or something. Whenever I greet someone mostly in my place of work or something and the response is "how are you" in a deep gentle bossy tone, I really find it offensive. In the western world, its not considered as rude and many people flow with it but in a place like Nigeria here, I think its used to show superioty. The manner at which it is said also plays a major role. If its something like "how are you sir/ma" or "how are you" (with a wide grin and smile ), then no qualms. But where it can get really irritating is where you greet someone "good morning sir/ma" and the response you get is a "how are you" ( with a bossy and deep tone, no smiles at all).
lalasticlala royalroy mynd44 dominique

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Omotayor123(f): 9:30am On Jul 05, 2016
I relate well with what you said OP. But I don't really get offended by that. It depends on the facial gesture of the person Sha. smiley

BTW, How are you? Shows the person care about how you are fairing.

1 Like

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by blaquemyc: 9:36am On Jul 05, 2016
Person: How are you
Me: Am fine, you?
Am cool with it whether it's my superior or junior asking, to me, it shows that they care to know abt how am faring.

1 Like

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by goldbim(f): 9:38am On Jul 05, 2016
smiley.it depends on the facial expression of the person asking.besides,some people are used to it..i'l rather prefer to ask how are you doing?.I could add sir/ma to it when I know it's an elder..@least it's still better than some'"l that'l jst wave their left hand @you and just say *bawo*in my language.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 05, 2016
blaquemyc:
Person: How are you
Me: Am fine, you?
Am cool with it whether it's my superior or junior asking, to me, it shows that they care to know abt how am faring.
Omotayor123:
I relate well with what you said OP. But I don't really get offended by that. It depends on the facial gesture of the person Sha. smiley
BTW, How are you? Shows the person care about how you are fairing.
I still find that statement very rude. Many people will just respond with "how are you" without waiting even a sec to hear your response. Not that they will even render an iota of help in the first place if you said you weren't fine. I feel the statement itself is used to show superiority and I've for long stopped greeting so many people especially the Yoruba's in my work place who attach greetings to themselves as if it will bring food to their table. I just walk pass them. Anyone that's not happy with me should go and hang himself.

1 Like

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by blaquemyc: 10:01am On Jul 05, 2016
Xbabangida:

I still find that statement very rude. Many people will just respond with "how are you" without waiting even a sec to hear your response. Not that they will even render an iota of help in the first place if you said you weren't fine. I feel the statement itself is used to show superiority and I've for long stopped greeting so many people especially the Yoruba's in my work place who attach greetings to themselves as if it will bring food to their table. I just walk pass them. Anyone that's not happy with me should go and hang himself.
To each according to his thought
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Feranchek(m): 10:02am On Jul 05, 2016
A gurl greeted me good morning, and when I replied "how I you??" She felt offended. Her reason "I'm not a kid na....." I'm actually older than her o0oo. That was about a decade ago sha. What I respond to a good morning greetings nowadays is simply "good morning"

The MOST annoying of replies to a good morning greeting is "mmm hmmm". That response dey pain me die!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by HitlerGaddafi: 10:17am On Jul 05, 2016
Feranchek:
A gurl greeted me good morning, and when I replied "how I you??" She felt offended. Her reason "I'm not a kid na....." I'm actually older than her o0oo. That was about a decade ago sha. What I respond to a good morning greetings nowadays is simply "good morning"

The MOST annoying of replies to a good morning greeting is "mmm hmmm". That response dey pain me die!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Yoruba's and that "mmm hmmm" shít. grin. I hate am no be small. Its better u don't even respond @ all than telling me "mmm hmmm" or "bawo ni". Another thing I noticed is when you want to talk to a junior colleague, you use the prefix "ò" like ó ti fe ma lo abi. If its a senior colleague , they use "è" like è ti fe ma lo abi. Beautiful nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by HitlerGaddafi: 10:18am On Jul 05, 2016
Xbabangida:
I don't know if its just me or something. Whenever I greet someone mostly in my place of work or something and the response is "how are you" in a deep gentle bossy tone, I really find it offensive. In the western world, its not considered as rude and many people flow with it but in a place like Nigeria here, I think its used to show superioty. The manner at which it is said also plays a major role. If its something like "how are you sir/ma" or "how are you" (with a wide grin and smile ), then no qualms. But where it can get really irritating is where you greet someone "good morning sir/ma" and the response you get is a "how are you" ( with a bossy and deep tone, no smiles at all).
I share ur thoughts. I take big offence in it no be small.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Feranchek(m): 10:25am On Jul 05, 2016
HitlerGaddafi:

Yoruba's and that "mmm hmmm" shít. grin. I hate am no be small. Its better u don't even respond @ all than telling me "mmm hmmm" or "bawo ni". Another thing I noticed is when you want to talk to a junior colleague, you use the prefix "ò" like ó ti fe ma lo abi. If its a senior colleague , they use "è" like è ti fe ma lo abi. Beautiful nonsense.

That 'o' and 'é" shi is actually a tradition. Way of life. That's how you know who senior who. I really do not have an ish with it
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by HitlerGaddafi: 4:44am On Jul 06, 2016
Feranchek:

That 'o' and 'é" shi is actually a tradition. Way of life. That's how you know who senior who. I really do not have an ish with it
F**k that tradition.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by patani(m): 8:11am On Jul 06, 2016
Bush attitude dey worry all of you..if someone greet you like that answer with 'I am fine and you?' as a matter of fact, this is the proper way to greet in western world and greeting someone with ' how was s night? ' is considered too personal and offensive. You want to know if your colleague had s*x in D night abi wetin?

1 Like

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 06, 2016
patani:
Bush attitude dey worry all of you..if someone greet you like that answer with 'I am fine and you?' as a matter of fact, this is the proper way to greet in western world and greeting someone with ' how was s night? ' is considered too personal and offensive. You want to know if your colleague had s*x in D night abi wetin?
OK if your grandpa or boss at office greet you, tell him I'm fine and you. grin
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by NaijaMustDivide: 12:06pm On Jul 06, 2016
Xbabangida:
It depends on the facial expression and the way the person said it. In general terms, its used to show superiority in this part of the world. In the western world, nobody will take offence in that. When its said with that bossy tone as you mentioned, then I personally find it offensive. In a nutshell, I don't like that kind of response. If I greet you, you greet me back or we just forget about greeting each other.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by eigmaticme: 9:55pm On Jul 06, 2016
that was how my husband called me sometime back and i asked him "how are you babe"? my colleagues did not let me hear word telling me how disrespectful i was to him. one of them even asked me if i was older than him.

my husband is about eight yours older than me and has absolutely no qualms with it.

to me it is not disrespectful at all, its just showing concern.

1 Like

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 10, 2016
Xbabangida:
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 10, 2016
Xbabangida:
Many people don abuse that sentence.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Richy4(m): 3:48pm On Jul 10, 2016
I used to dislike it when i did not know what i was doing....Untill i travelled to a place where folks could stay for months without seeing who asked them how they where....and when u mistakenly ask how they were, u might stand with them for 20mins listening to an account on how they went to this and that surgery, how they got sour back...how they suffered from toothache and bucked for a dentist etc...
It is really funny coming from a country that hated the "how are u" phrase and going to a place where they felt u cared by asking.. many of them feels lonely...and wants to talk...

7 Likes

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 11, 2016
Richy4:
I used to dislike it when i did not know what i was doing....Untill i travelled to a place where folks could stay for months without seeing who asked them how they where....and when u mistakenly ask how they were, u might stand with them for 20mins listening to an account on how they went to this and that surgery, how they got sour back...how they suffered from toothache and bucked for a dentist etc...
It is really funny coming from a country that hated the "how are u" phrase and going to a place where they felt u cared by asking.. many of them feels lonely...and wants to talk...
Well iono maybe its just me or something. I still find it very offensive. If we are outside Nigeria, then no probs. It really shows the person cares. But in this zoo, people just say it for fun without wanting to know whether you are really fine or not.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by gidjah(m): 8:48pm On Jul 11, 2016
you should be able to say such with enough respect in tone and body languages. I use to ask my seniors (even in the he military circle) I. hope you are fine today sire!( note, I add lots. of. courtesy and a l bit loudness to. it,'dem no be my mate for rank o, even if I tend to be older than some of dem in age, yet I do such wit lots of. swagg mixed with utmost honour. I think it is eggo problem that will make u not answer a simple' how are you today' ,na wetin dey worry naija pple sef?
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 11, 2016
but why ask someone "how are you" when you don't really care and person will probably reply with "am fine".

I only ask people am close to and genuinely care about 'how are you?' and I know I will get a sincere reply.

my point is "how are you" is not a form of greeting as Nigerians think it is.

stop rendering phrases useless.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 30, 2016
Xbabangida:
What a very interesting and sensitive topic. Mr Seun can help us put it to the front page.
As for me I find it very offensive but its the norm in my place of work. When I was in the university, small boy wey just manage turn lecturer ontop your head sef go dey tell you that nonsense.
I find it very very offensive.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 30, 2016
Asking someone "How are you?" is not offensive at all, but I know elderly Nigerians get annoyed by a younger person asking them that question because they see it as disrespectful.

When I ask people it's because I actually care enough to know how they are {doing}.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 30, 2016
How are you, MakeQuickCash? lol

I'm sorry, make una no slap me oo.

Why do you find it offensive?

MakeQuickCash:

What a very interesting and sensitive topic. Mr Seun can help us put it to the front page.
As for me I find it very offensive but its the norm in my place of work. When I was in the university, small boy wey just manage turn lecturer ontop your head sef go dey tell you that nonsense.
I find it very very offensive.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by rezzy: 11:23am On Oct 30, 2016
Xbabangida:

It depends on the tone of asking.

I hate it most when i greet someone younger and she replies "my dear how are you" I won't bother to answer. Girls most especially use it to look down on people.

Some will even answer morning o.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 30, 2016
I don't find it offensive if I'm asked that.

However, I don't ask people "How are you?", except children. Not even the security guards in my office, or company drivers, or my dad's drivers, no matter how friendly I am with them.

Instead, I ask "How's the family?" I find it condescending to ask people older than I am that question.
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 30, 2016
rezzy:

It depends on the tone of asking.

I hate it most when i greet someone younger and she replies "my dear how are you" I won't bother to answer. Girls most especially use it to look down on people.

Some will even answer morning o.

Lol. Or, "Ehen my dear, morning."
Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by freecocoa(f): 12:27am On Oct 31, 2016
That isn't meant to indicate superiority, but leave it to African culture and the unnecessary demand for respect, to mess things up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 03, 2016
Interesting and educative topics like this, the mods no go put am to front page. Na how davdo buy Gucci wristwatch or wizkid taking selfie in the toilet we go dey see
Lalasticlala seun mynd44 obinoscopy

1 Like

Re: Do You Take The "How Are You" Response To A Greeting Offensive? by berryBee(f): 8:56am On Nov 03, 2016
Nothing pains me like that question 'how are you?' I don't even bother to respond to it unless its coming from a much older person

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Being A Man..... / Just Been Married For 7 Months Wife Files For Divorce / Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.