Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) (4289 Views)

Senate Recalls Police Man Who Was Wrongfully Dismissed By Police 21yrs Ago(pics) / On This Day: Two Years Ago, Orubebe. The Man Who Saw Tomorrow / Obasanjo Gives Condition To Support New Mega Party - This Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by rummeh: 3:08am On Jul 06, 2016
The Nigerian Civil War, also known as the Biafran War, (6 July 1967 – 15 January 1970), was a war fought to counter the secession of Biafra from Nigeria. Biafra represented nationalist aspirations of the Igbo people, whose leadership felt they could no longer coexist with the Northern-dominated federal government. The conflict resulted from political, economic, ethnic, cultural and religious tensions which preceded Britain's formal decolonisation of Nigeria from 1960 to 1963. Immediate causes of the war in 1966 included a military coup, a counter-coup, and persecution of Igbo living in Northern Nigeria. Control over oil production in the Niger Delta played a vital strategic role.

Within a year, the Federal Military Government surrounded Biafra, capturing coastal oil facilities and the city of Port Harcourt. The blockade imposed during the ensuing stalemate led to severe famine—accomplished deliberately as a war strategy. Over the two and half years of the war, about two million civilians died from starvation and diseases.

This famine entered world awareness in mid-1968, when images of malnourished and starving children suddenly saturated the mass media of Western countries. The plight of the starving Biafrans became a cause célèbre in foreign countries, enabling a significant rise in the funding and prominence of international non-governmental organisations (NGOs). Britain and the Soviet Union were the main backers of the Federal Military Government in Lagos, while France and some independent elements supported Biafra. France and Israel provided weapons to both combatants.

http://www.newsdoggen.org/2016/07/on-this-day-49-years-ago-nigerian-civil.html

cc: Seun, lalasticlala, OAM4J, Mynd44

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Nobody: 3:10am On Jul 06, 2016

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by sarrki(m): 3:11am On Jul 06, 2016
N still ipob want another war !!!!!

The second pix make me cry.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by rummeh: 3:11am On Jul 06, 2016

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Nobody: 3:12am On Jul 06, 2016
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by ouigy99(m): 3:21am On Jul 06, 2016
49 years later, and its still the same song we hear in our beloved country. People are still starving to death, the only difference is that its at the other end of the country, the north east.
Believe me, the case one sees in the IDP camps is worse than the biafran war, the only difference is that our media is hiding the ugly side and only reports how camp members marries or gives birth.
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Nobody: 3:22am On Jul 06, 2016
ouigy99:
49 years later, and its still the same song we hear in our beloved country. People are still starving to death, the only difference is that its at the other end of the country, the north east.
Believe me, the case one sees in the IDP camps is worse than the biafran war, the only difference is that our media is hiding the ugly side and only reports how camp members marries or gives birth.
Abuja, 49 years later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efE7aaafYAk
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by YourNemesis: 3:26am On Jul 06, 2016
Booked
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by feldido(m): 3:36am On Jul 06, 2016
War has never been a solution.
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Militant1: 3:38am On Jul 06, 2016
angryI don't want to comment yet, but is the op comparing the civil war with boko haram? If yes then this is a useless thread. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Book haram problem is majorly a religious one brought on by a group of dull fanatical extremists buffons. The Biafra war was a culmination of political, economic, ethnic, cultural and religious tensions within the country. Is it just me feeling that the OP is mixing oil and water or is it the sleep I just woke up from. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Nobody: 3:38am On Jul 06, 2016
feldido:
War has never been a solution.
Shekau has a different opinion, 49 years later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLz0U6E-iT4

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Perfecttouch(m): 3:47am On Jul 06, 2016
sarrki:

the human mind is very wicked., how can they do this to a child?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by rexericx(m): 3:55am On Jul 06, 2016
Ghen
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by rifasenate11(m): 3:58am On Jul 06, 2016
The current situation in the country is more devastating than the civil war. We don't have the basic amenities for a country to grow . Electricity has never been available even after years of independence. I ask sometimes what the problem of this country is. But I cant seem to find it. We have the wealth and the resources to make wealth but still we are not improving. The problem we are facing is solely tribalism and governance. Until we achieve this. We are not going anywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Nobody: 4:01am On Jul 06, 2016
rifasenate11:
The currebt situation in the country is more devastating than the civil war

49 years after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDFz-wXdPY

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by hundredhundred: 4:01am On Jul 06, 2016
Umhmmmm. Na wa o
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by donbenedict(m): 4:04am On Jul 06, 2016
It all happend for a reason
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by rummeh: 4:14am On Jul 06, 2016
Militant1:
I don't want to comment yet, but is the op comparing the civil war with boko haram? If yes then this is a useless thread. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Dude read b4...you comment...
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Dcardinal(m): 4:24am On Jul 06, 2016
Militant1:
I don't want to comment yet, but is the op comparing the civil war with boko haram? If yes then this is a useless thread. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
If only you'll take ur time to read it up
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Militant1: 4:51am On Jul 06, 2016
Dcardinal:

If only you'll take ur time to read it up

You and rummeh don't get the point am trying to make. Book haram problem is majorly a religious one brought on by a group of dull fanatical extremists buffons. The Biafra war was a culmination of political, economic, ethnic, cultural and religious tensions within the country. Is it just me feeling that the OP is mixing oil and water or is it the sleep I just woke up from.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by rummeh: 4:59am On Jul 06, 2016
Militant1:

You and rummeh don't get the point am trying to make. Book haram problem is majorly a religious one brought on by a group of dull fanatical extremists buffons. The Biafra war was a culmination of political, economic, ethnic, cultural and religious tensions within the country. Is it just me feeling that the OP is mixing oil and water or is it the sleep I just woke up from.

Oga na sleep eye... I'd suggest you read from the beginning including the comments.. And take note of the usernames then you can comment
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Nobody: 4:59am On Jul 06, 2016
The Great General Odumegwu Ojukwu.
The Bravest Officer Nigeria ever Produced
A Great Orator and Eloquent Speaker
A Brilliant Man and Loving Father
A Fierce fighter

I remember his famous speech 'the people at the other side will be surprised by the shock awaiting them' and truely the Federal forces were shocked.. Unfortunately i belong to the people at the other side, but i wish i had fought alongside this great man because he stood for oppression, suppression, subje tion and subjugation. No man wants to see his people suffer and he was a leader and a Legend.... Sir I Hail Thee

meanwhile click on ma signature. thanks

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Nobody: 5:05am On Jul 06, 2016
sarrki:

They dont want war but secession. It isnt a big thing, its a just demand... if a son feels his is no longer comfortable in his father's house, he has a right to opt out... God created Earth, Man Created Nigeria... Nigeria isnt among the 10 commandmnts, but my people will never let the east go until they have a viable means to sustain the North.. Its a grand conspiracy, but lets live everything for posterity.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Nobody: 5:11am On Jul 06, 2016
The war began on the 6th of July so also was a star born on 6th of July

Today is my birthday.

Hit the 'like' button if you wish me long life and prosperity and the 'share' button if you go like chop cake

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by adenine02: 5:36am On Jul 06, 2016
quid:

49 years after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDFz-wXdPY

pls bro
is topic abt d civil war or boko haram

and all the videos were shot wen d super heros of d SS and SE was in power

so pls stick to d topic
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by ThatIgboBoy: 6:29am On Jul 06, 2016
i dont advocate for war but if need be,i wont shy away from protecting Motherland which is ala-igbo. My dad,grandfather and uncles fought for this same noble cause.cowardice wont start from my own generation,

Shout out to all the igbo peepz. We rose to the top,fell down to the bottom after the war and have risen back to the top again due to our tenacity and never stop attitude. We dont give a Bleep mehn. We got ambition.

Make i go listen to drakes started from the bottom now we here

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by rummeh: 6:30am On Jul 06, 2016
adenine02:

pls bro
is topic abt d civil war or boko haram

and all the videos were shot wen d super heros of d SS and SE was in power

so pls stick to d topic
The guy dy vex me ooo oo
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Victorvexz(m): 6:38am On Jul 06, 2016
Justdulla:

They dont want war but secession. It isnt a big thing, its a just demand... if a son feels his is no longer comfortable in his father's house, he has a right to opt out... God created Earth, Man Created Nigeria... Nigeria isnt among the 10 commandmnts, but my people will never let the east go until they have a viable means to sustain the North.. Its a grand conspiracy, but lets live everything for posterity.
If the son is no longer comfortable, he can go to wherever he likes but he can't take any part of the family house with him. That is the situation in Nigeria, if u yeebos don't want Nigeria, u can go, but u re not taking any territory with u. As u said, God create earth, man created Nigeria, also Nigeria has the responsibility and power to maintain its creation
Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by HeGeMon(m): 6:39am On Jul 06, 2016
undecided THE GREAT ESCAPE
Justdulla:
The Great General Odumegwu Ojukwu.
The Bravest Officer Nigeria ever Produced
A Great Orator and Eloquent Speaker
A Brilliant Man and Loving Father
A Fierce fighter

I remember his famous speech 'the people at the other side will be surprised by the shock awaiting them' and truely the Federal forces were shocked.. Unfortunately i belong to the people at the other side, but i wish i had fought alongside this great man because he stood for oppression, suppression, subje tion and subjugation. No man wants to see his people suffer and he was a leader and a Legend.... Sir I Hail Thee

meanwhile click on ma signature. thanks

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by JimiOgunlola: 6:49am On Jul 06, 2016
Victorvexz:
[s]
If the son is no longer comfortable, he can go to wherever he likes but he can't take any part of the family house with him. That is the situation in Nigeria, if u yeebos don't want Nigeria, u can go, but u re not taking any territory with u. As u said, God create earth, man created Nigeria, also Nigeria has the responsibility and power to maintain its creation[/s]

Pro-fulani noise from one of our yoruba muslim Afonja. You are one of the reason people call we yoruba AK-47 mouths.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by DecemberIV: 6:50am On Jul 06, 2016
So some posters here think the over 3 million lives lost in the biafran war is justified by BH's insurgency in the far North East?

So for the mostly igbo victims of the Banex Plaza bombings by BH and Sabon gari market Kano etc this was a wicked Deja Vu? Biafra war part two?

No wonder it was being said that Ihejirika was on a vendetta mission, eventually the same BH is one of the main reasons he and Jonathan were kicked into the dustbin of history.

Issorite undecided

Re: Nigerian Civil War Began On This Day 49-years Ago(pics) by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 06, 2016
This pix breaks my heart! #we_will_never_forget.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

AD Promises To Mobilize 6 Million Votes For Olawepo Hashim / IPOB - The Dangerous Utterances Of Simon Ekpa / FACT Check: Did Deziani Buy $12.5M Bra?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.