Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,255 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains (7612 Views)

Playstation 3 Vs Nintendo Wii Vs Xbox 360 / Playstation 3 Ad: Sony Apologises to Nigerians / Nigerian Government Reacts To Sony's Playstation 3 Ad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by dwonder(m): 7:27am On Sep 09, 2009
Lydia Sung - Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 | 2:39PM (CST)

Dialogue edited when Nigeria's federal government cries some moar 

At the end of August, Sony was churning some lighthearted PlayStation 3 ads, poking fun at gaming journalists and other nonsense.  All in good fun, right?  Nigeria did not agree.

The Nigerian government took offense to one of Sony's ads on price cuts.  Originally, the silly dialogue went something like this: "Bernie, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet.   Otherwise I would be a Nigerian millionaire by now."

Nigeria was not amused.  The government promptly demanded an apology from Sony, for allegedly damaging (or attempting to) the nation's upstanding reputation.  Apparently, the Nigerian federal government really does believe this advertisement is an attempt to damage Nigeria's international business interests.

Information and Communication Minister Prof. Dora Akunyili released a statement in relation to the offense:

It is on record that Sony Corporation has operated in Nigeria since independence and has enjoyed tremendous patronage from Nigerians at home and abroad.

Over these years, there is no established record that the company has recorded any major fraud by Nigerians. 

While Nigeria accepts that there are few criminal-minded people within her population like any other country including Japan, the home country of Sony Corporation, the Federal Government has put in place institutions to rid the country of fraudulent practices.

Sony has since altered the advertisement, in which the actor now says: "Bernie, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet.  That's how World War I got started."

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/11718-sony-changes-playstation-3-ad-after-nigerian-government-complains/
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by Mudley313: 7:46am On Sep 09, 2009
i actually just watched it on tv and was expecting the nigerian line when the WWI line came in n i was like, what da, ?

i actually logged on to create a thread bout it then i saw urs

guess the naija govt. got pull

wink
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by TheSeeker(m): 7:59am On Sep 09, 2009
Nigeria Government should have done the worse and temporarily close down their offices in Nigeria; only then will they have known what they were into. Where was that rotten sense when they needed it before putting Nigeria in their defaming ad? Fagots!
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by CrudeOil2(m): 8:03am On Sep 09, 2009
Sony did not apologise?
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by izeek(m): 8:06am On Sep 09, 2009
this has changed nothing.
that they have refused to say it out publicly dont mean they dont have it @ the back of their minds.
the damage has been done.

what we need is a permanent fix, not this quick approach we are canvassing for.

you can't pass a sick child as being well. no mater how hard you try to feed him, the solution is in treating his ailment.
this are all diversions to the main problems.
federal government should know we are tired of their approach to governance and act right.
you dont preach your own gospel, it would preach itself.
sony simply stated wht the world knows about us.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by izeek(m): 8:11am On Sep 09, 2009
TheSeeker:

Nigeria Government should have done the worse and temporarily close down their offices in Nigeria; only then will they have known what they were into. Where was that rotten sense when they needed it before putting Nigeria in their defaming ad? Fagots!

that wud solve nothing mate.
sometimes we need outsiders to tell us some home truth.
maybe its time we get off our high horse and do the right thing.

this is a case of your neighbour insulting you about your weakness. as much as it hurts, its the truth.
if we close down their office, do u know the amount of nigerians you are gonna put out of jobs world-over?
lets not get lost from the big picture"Nigeria needs a make-over" and not re-branding.
you re-branding something that already has an identity, what identity do we have that we want to re-brand?
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by TheSeeker(m): 9:00am On Sep 09, 2009
izeek:

that wud solve nothing mate.
sometimes we need outsiders to tell us some home truth.
maybe its time we get off our high horse and do the right thing.

this is a case of your neighbour insulting you about your weakness. as much as it hurts, its the truth.
if we close down their office, do u know the amount of nigerians you are gonna put out of jobs world-over?
lets not get lost from the big picture"Nigeria needs a make-over" and not re-branding.
you re-branding something that already has an identity, what identity do we have that we want to re-brand?
Yes, I agree with you on that. But we don't need outsiders to tell us necessarily because we already know that some Nigerians are crooks, and will always be crooks. All I was just trying to say is a global company such as SONY should have known better than put up such ad. CNN, BBC, Oprah have all said worse things about Nigeria and it doesn't irk me because it's their responsibility to inform the public of whatever is going on around them and offer probable solutions to them, but from a company? I think it's totally absurd.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 09, 2009
Kudos to the Nigerian government for making sure the advert was pulled down.
However, it doesnt stop there. Its now left for the government to begin a drastic clean up of corruption in private and public sectors in Nigeria to avoid giving corporations like Sony any chance of stating the obvious in a humorous way.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by izeek(m): 9:14am On Sep 09, 2009
@theseeker,
i quite agree with you on the approach Sony took which is absolutely wrong for an organisation of such magnitude.
opening itself that much, i would have believed they have legal advice on the implication of such adds being released to the public.
afterall Nigeria has every right to sue them and even close their company here down.

but my pain is this, consider the amount of applications from Nigerians they get for job placement yearly,
and how many they have had to turn down, not cos of sub-requirements, but rather forthe mere fact that they are Nigerians.
it pains me that opportunities we could easily exploit to show our skills and talents are being denied us simply be cos we possess an identity that is fast being seen as an outcast in the world.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by Rebarobyn: 9:19am On Sep 09, 2009
sending them away from nigeria does not solve any problem. at least they stopped the ad, that says a lot.

however, dora akunyili has a lot of work to do regarding scams and fraud, they should first give all internet companies an ultimatum to get all IP addresses registered and linked to a traceable address or person, all cell phones using the internet service should be registered too. get softwares to trace scam letters, put an effective and well-equipped anti-fraud/scam agency in place and then work with the senate to pass and Act to allow for stiff punishments for fraudsters/scammers and their accomplices - I think a 20yr sentence sounds good afterall some countries like Libya kill such people. If we had a good national identification system, it would have helped but what a shame, they made a mess of it.

I believe this is the way forward but our problems are just too many!
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by texazzpete(m): 9:51am On Sep 09, 2009
lol. Did i hear someone say Sony was 'defaming' Nigeria? As in, you think we aren't guilty as charged?
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by TheSeeker(m): 9:57am On Sep 09, 2009
izeek:

@theseeker,
i quite agree with you on the approach Sony took which is absolutely wrong for an organisation of such magnitude.
opening itself that much, i would have believed they have legal advice on the implication of such adds being released to the public.
afterall Nigeria has every right to sue them and even close their company here down.

but my pain is this, consider the amount of applications from Nigerians they get for job placement yearly,
and how many they have had to turn down, not cos of sub-requirements, but rather forthe mere fact that they are Nigerians.
it pains me that opportunities we could easily exploit to show our skills and talents are being denied us simply be cos we possess an identity that is fast being seen as an outcast in the world.
Exactly what I'm saying. SONY as a brand and international product has no right whatsoever to use any country negatively in an advert, that's what people don't understand. News agency can say whatever they want and even tune it up, it's their responsibility to let the public know about it. After all, if they don't say it, we won't know either but for SONY, it's unacceptable. Nigerian Government has a lot to do and Dora has got no charisma at all. Now, I miss Frank Nweke, Jnr. Dora is just a wide-mouthed fool; she lacks substance (who in Yaradua's government doesn't).

Rebarobyn:

sending them away from nigeria does not solve any problem. at least they stopped the ad, that says a lot.

however, dora akunyili has a lot of work to do regarding scams and fraud, they should first give all internet companies an ultimatum to get all IP addresses registered and linked to a traceable address or person, all cell phones using the internet service should be registered too. get softwares to trace scam letters, put an effective and well-equipped anti-fraud/scam agency in place and then work with the senate to pass and Act to allow for stiff punishments for fraudsters/scammers and their accomplices - I think a 20yr sentence sounds good afterall some countries like Libya kill such people. If we had a good national identification system, it would have helped but what a shame, they made a mess of it.

I believe this is the way forward but our problems are just too many!
I wish this could work but it's impossible. US can't even trace all IPs with all the advanced technology -- they can trace those who use direct IP address -- not when they use anonymity softwares. In Nigeria, it's a zero functionality.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by TheSeeker(m): 10:00am On Sep 09, 2009
texazzpete:

lol. Did i hear someone say Sony was 'defaming' Nigeria? As in, you think we aren't guilty as charged?
Yes, I said defame. By your understanding, because a few percentage of Nigerians are criminals, therefore all Nigerians are criminals? If they are banking on the characters of a minute sect of Nigeria to insult a larger populace, then I call it defamation. Anyone else who reason properly will call it defamation because, I for one, am not a criminal, and so are many others -- so the collective stereotyping of Nigerians is an insult.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 09, 2009
This new ad is prolly one of the many lines/ads that was used on the day the commercial was made/shot.
It makes no difference whatsoever.

Lets see if they'll actually apologise.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by texazzpete(m): 10:51am On Sep 09, 2009
TheSeeker:

Yes, I said defame. By your understanding, because a few percentage of Nigerians are criminals, therefore all Nigerians are criminals? If they are banking on the characters of a minute sect of Nigeria to insult a larger populace, then I call it defamation. Anyone else who reason properly will call it defamation because, I for one, am not a criminal, and so are many others -- so the collective stereotyping of Nigerians is an insult.

The 'nigerian millionaire' crack referred to scam mails emanating from Nigeria ultimately promising to make you a millionaire. It does not imply that all Nigerians are scammers or that Nigerian millionaires are fraudulent. I wonder how people came up with that interpretation. IMHO, it only shows a definite lack of intelligence,
I can show you loads of forum and blog posts making reference to Nigerian mails. And to be honest, e've done little to shake off our tag as the poster child for 419 scams.
As a true patriot, I concern myself with more pressing mAtters like the ASUU strike and the attendant collaps of our educational sector. Also of note is the rampant corruption, scams and tribalism killing our country. I only hope you petition writers have the sense to target these other societal ills, but from past experience I have little optimism.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by texazzpete(m): 10:53am On Sep 09, 2009
Hmm, let's say your Objective is to elminAte things that bring ridicule and shame to Nigeria's image. What do you think is the greater evil - sony's ad or the thousands of scammers sending mails in your neighbourhood?
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by Ibime(m): 11:04am On Sep 09, 2009
Well done guys!

Good work from Akunyili.

It is up to every country to protect their honour, no matter how dirty their laundry is.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by 9ijaprince(m): 11:08am On Sep 09, 2009
Sony has achieved its marketing strategy. That game will sell like pure water.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by TheSeeker(m): 12:16pm On Sep 09, 2009
9ijaprince:

God will bless you abundantly. They use it to popularize the game too.
texazzpete:

Hmm, let's say your Objective is to elminAte things that bring ridicule and shame to Nigeria's image. What do you think is the greater evil - sony's ad or the thousands of scammers sending mails in your neighbourhood?
Eliminate scammers sending emails. . . matter of fact I'm hunting them too. I want you to understand where I'm coming from this time.
More derogatory remarks can be made about Nigeria by new agencies or awareness programs, forums, meetings, symposiums, etc, and it'll pass - at least in my opinion - as a good deed trying to protect their own in the only powerful way they can - passing along information.

But for a company, an international company at that, to make such remarks in an ad makes no sense. It's a slurring remark attempted at a country. I take an offense to that statement, not because it's right or wrong, but because it's from a company. It's not their business and it has nothing to do with their business, so why introduce it at all?
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by Borat1: 12:23pm On Sep 09, 2009
I really didnt think much about Dora's comments, but after seeing the reviewed version of the advert, i was amused grin
A shame though they could only get off with a mild reprimand. Afterall they've gotten the publicity they wanted
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 09, 2009
@the seeker. . . i quite agree with u.

sony should air a public apology and the ministry of information and Nigerian govt should have done more than to have asked them to change the advert.
the international community needs to know we have faced enough discrimination because of a few 'bad eggs'! they should know it's not just a joke when they talk about Nigerians being scammers! they should know the govt is trying die hard to change Nigeria's image! the best way they should have protested was to have banned the importation of sony products until a substantial amount has been paid and a public apology has been given! so that no other company would think of such an advert next time! period!
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by Bialegend(m): 1:03pm On Sep 09, 2009
Cheii, i love the comments on this youtube nigeria Sony playstation advert. You can click and read by yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrweZ6_oafc&NR=1

It's Nigeria. Who gives a shit. When they do something important that the world will actually recognize, then they can bitch. Until then they should shut up.

And the 360 is for Nigeria. Nothing but poor people there anyways.

I wish I could piss off the nigerian government so I could tell them to go to hell. I mean, it's not like they can do anything. They're nigeria after all.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by Borat1: 1:12pm On Sep 09, 2009
God see sick comments! sad
They're nigeria after all

This one kills it
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by OvieE: 1:14pm On Sep 09, 2009
TheSeeker:

Do you listen to yourself. If the Nigeria government close down their office in Nigeria, do you think Sony will care. Do you think they make their money from Nigeria. Maybe the Nigerian government will even do Sony a favor by closing the Sony office in Nigeria. Either way, Nigeria will lose more and more. If people are portraiting Nigeria as bad is because that is the way the country is. You have to face the truth. Someone has to teach Nigeria and the government that they needs to pay more attentions to the suffering citizens.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by 3kay945(m): 1:14pm On Sep 09, 2009
so what about those in fazebook twistt, sharemobi, etc who wil edit them?, , my bros nd ladies?! the message had been sent and it wil remain on net, as long as we 9ja remain d same!,
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by gbolo2001: 1:16pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ nuzo

ur theonly one making sense dat is how u defuse a situation, u hope it goes away without people noticing if we close down their company they will fight back the initial ad will be re analysed on news in almost all countries sony exist the damage will even be worse, den every body will c nigerian as dishonest and bad business people. sometin like dat was done on gta 4 on play station 3 i canimagine the damge it would have had by now.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by touchmeder: 1:16pm On Sep 09, 2009
Thank God i must say (heaves a sigh of relief)and for those who thought the ad was ok and a joke undecided
sorry for you!
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by ciscostaz: 1:17pm On Sep 09, 2009
I have read with keen interest the comments of some supposed Nigerians who have made such statements as "Is it not true?" that those allegations are right.  Its rather unfortunate that they need to really have a broad look at the 419 thing to know that it is not only Nigerians that are involved in the thing.  The only thing is that there is a way other countries manage their own information while the one in our country is always (with vigour) blown to the highest heavens.

If you have ever traveled out of this country, you will come to realised that anytime you mention that you are a "Nigerian", or presented your green passport at the point of entry to any of these countries, their countenance towards you changes immediately as if to say you are also a 419er which is not very fair.  Its a very bad Stigma.  The federal govts response through Akunyili is a welcome development. They should go a further step by demanding  an apology from Sony Corporation.  You can not insult me in the face of everybody  and still expect me to continue doing business with you.

Its high time we tell the world that it is not only Nigerians that are involved in this deal and there are good people among us.  Well, I hope the Federal Government will also rise to the occasion of making this country home for all of us.  Prosterity will judge everyone that put us in this situation, in the first place.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by aquita(m): 1:19pm On Sep 09, 2009
Kudos to Dora. This is a plus for her and Nigerians (at home and in dispora).
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by 3kay945(m): 1:20pm On Sep 09, 2009
i cant jeopardize my HEAVEN just becos i want to be PATRIOTIC, men that wil be double tragedy!! grin grin
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by texazzpete(m): 1:21pm On Sep 09, 2009
9ijaprince:

You're joking, right? You think Sony hinged the success of their marketing strategy on the 'Nigerian millionaire' line?
PS3 sales are up 1000% in the UK, thanks to the $100 price drop and the redesigned PS3, i doubt even one sale was made based on the 'controversial' ad.
Re: Sony Changes Playstation 3 Ad After Nigerian Government Complains by TheSeeker(m): 1:26pm On Sep 09, 2009
OvieE:

Do you listen to yourself. If the Nigeria government close down their office in Nigeria, do you think Sony will care. Do you think they make their money from Nigeria. Maybe the Nigerian government will even do Sony a favor by closing the Sony office in Nigeria. Either way, Nigeria will lose more and more. If people are portraiting Nigeria as bad is because that is the way the country is. You have to face the truth. Someone has to teach Nigeria and the government that they needs to pay more attentions to the suffering citizens.
My friend, just don't jump into the middle of my comments. Get the drift of it and don't try to twist it or don't comment about it all. Yes, I'm listening to myself. Do you know what Korean ruler called Hilary Clinton and do you know why he said what he did about her? Hilary made a foul statement, not even as heavy as this, and she got a taste of the man's bitter slandering; that may not be a perfect example but it's related to this in a way that when you make negative remarks, you hear back from the person you make it again, no matter what. So suck up your opinion to yourself. If SONY is closed down I don't see it hurting Nigeria at all and no, they closing it will be bad for their business. The only company you'll close down that will hurt Nigeria real bad is MTN, SONY, hell no! Rephrase that.

If SONY thought what they did was so right or they can't be reprimanded, why did they change it? You don't stay in that dark and start whistling those non-existent ideas. The truth is Nigerians are scammers? Is that what you're telling me? Are you a scammer too? Pray tell, what portion of Nigeria is involved in fraud, maybe 20% (if it's up to that at all) and this portion automatically speaks in full for the rest? Think again! A very little fraction of Nigerians are involved in this and it's an insult if it's labeled on the country like it's her trademark. I don't condone what they are doing but in spite of that you don't open your mouth and make foul remarks at a country.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Can Help Me Pass Free Fall In Gta SAN ANDREAS? / Dream League Soccer 2020 300MB DLS 20 Offline Gold Edition Android Latest HD / Assassins Creed III Offline Server Crack Working

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.