Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,060 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones (15634 Views)

How To Backup All Your Phone Data Without The Use Of A Laptop Before Formatting / See The Top 7 Mobile Phones That Brought New Innovations / Computer Village: See Why Prices Of Mobile Phones Are On The Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by sammer4life(m): 1:48am On Jul 07, 2016
Kindly oblige me. I don't know the right section to post this.
Is it harmful / dangerous to use your phone near your cooking gas or near your generator, maybe to check something. We all know that our phone torch has always been our saving grace in this time of national blackout. But I am wondering, if we are told to switch off our in and around fuel stations because fuel and gas are highly combustible, is it advisable to use the same phone when cooking or near our generators ?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by chriskosherbal(m): 3:31am On Jul 07, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Standing5(m): 3:40am On Jul 07, 2016
Nice question.
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by starbuck(f): 8:19pm On Jul 11, 2016
Please don't use your phone near a generator, my dad lost his sale boy in the act. He went to power our generator with his Nokia torch light, as he was about switching it on, his phone rang and that was how he was burnt beyond recognition. I don't know about the cooking gas but we got to be careful on where we use our phone.

My 2cent

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by sammer4life(m): 12:04pm On Jul 12, 2016
@lalasticlala, abeg, can we move this topic to the front page. I just learnt a big lesson from Starbuck....... Others need to learn too. @starbuck, thanks ma. You still with Mayrays ?

1 Like

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by bobgem001(m): 2:10pm On Jul 12, 2016
good

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by MzPecs(f): 2:11pm On Jul 12, 2016
Don't know about cooking gas buh fuelling generator is dangerous..

1 Like

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Brytestorecom: 2:11pm On Jul 12, 2016
Get educational tabs for your kids ..

make

your

order here https://market./catalog/?q=bryte
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Holyfield1(m): 2:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
To start with, it is theoretically possible to set off a petrol fire with a phone. The amount of energy needed for a spark to ignite petrol vapour is 0.2 mJ, which is roughly one five-millionth of the energy stored in a fully-charged phone battery. The difficulty is that the phone is not designed to make sparks.

The lithium battery could explode while charging if its internal regulator circuit was very faulty. But you don't normally simultaneously charge and talk on your mobile phone while refuelling your car. The internal electronics of the phone could fail and make a spark - but the spark would be too small.
And why worry about the phone battery when you have batteries in your iPod, CD player, mini-torch, and yes, don't forget the big 15 kg car battery that powers the electrics of your car?

Well, what about the electric field put out by your phone? Yes, the electric field has been measured at 2-5 volts/meter, and has been known to interfere with heart monitors and infant incubators in hospitals, and various electronic equipment in planes. But the electric field from a mobile phone has never been known to set off a fire in a petrol station. And consider that in the UK , some 200 Shell petrol stations have mobile phone towers in the tall petrol price indicators, which stand right there on the forecourt, a few metres from the petrol pumps. The towers put out a lot more grunt than your small mobile phone.

So what did set off those 243 petrol station fires? Most of the time, static electricity was the culprit. We've all seen or felt a spark from clothing. If you are wearing synthetic clothes in the dryness of winter, and are sliding in and out of the car, across the synthetic material of the car seat, then you can build up a big static charge. Then, if the earthing wire on the petrol hose is broken, when you touch the metal nozzle of the petrol hose to the metal neck of the petrol tank, you can discharge a visible spark. Even more dangerous, from the static electricity point-of-view, is filling up a small fuel drum.

The phone companies post warnings about using phones in petrol stations for two reasons. First, mobile phones are not designed with “Intrinsic Safety” to make them able to operate safely in truly hazardous inflammable vapour situations, and second, fear of legal liability, despite all the evidence showing that mobile phones don't cause fires in petrol stations.

So overall, the mobile phone myth is just endless chatter generating a whole lot of static.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Category1: 2:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
At a point when ur phone starts getting muntupuluted in a disadigal way the main problem with you can get a few days of this email address or any attachments may contain information in a bit of a few days to be in the way of the newsletter click the new one of the new one of the new one of the new one more than a good time to the other use the way you are not the other than I can be able at.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Irishrena1(f): 2:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
Good question. Please let the elders on this subject come and throw more light
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by mykh01(m): 2:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
I learnt something today, and am still willing to learn more from intelligentia on NL. Let's d meaningful comment roll in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by imstillnovice: 2:13pm On Jul 12, 2016
It depends on what you are doing with the phone at that moment....Its wrong when you answer calls besides anything explosive thats why you are advised to switch your phone off at the gas station

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Spells(m): 2:13pm On Jul 12, 2016
Nice trend.... But am pretty sure u noticed that theres always a switch of ur phone sign in every filling station..su knw da rest
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 12, 2016
starbuck:
Please don't use your phone near a generator, my dad lost his sale boy in the act. He went to power our generator with his Nokia torch light, as he was about switching it on, his phone rang and that was how he was burnt beyond recognition. I don't know about the cooking gas but we got to be careful on where we use our phone.

My 2cent
But my dad uses his Nokia torch to put on the generator all the time! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Spells(m): 2:13pm On Jul 12, 2016
Nice trend.... But am pretty sure u noticed that theres always a switch of ur phone sign in every filling station..so it kinda means it ain't wise to use ur phones close to gas, or petrol
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by ifykem: 2:13pm On Jul 12, 2016
No idea, let me ask google
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by agoadiv(m): 2:14pm On Jul 12, 2016
i swear twas by mistake this came to front page but lemme comment....

i use my smart phone to

watch movie
check online recipe
use it as remote control
use it for relaxation
use it for mobile game

all this and more is de domestic use of smart phone
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by haydeey(m): 2:14pm On Jul 12, 2016
Thanks op

Since it is advised to switch off our phones in filling stations. Then I will say it is advisable to not use ur phones near gas, petrol and even kerosene.
Thanks
God bless Nigeria
God bless Me

#HaydeeyWasHere

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Proffdada: 2:14pm On Jul 12, 2016
This urban legend has been busted by mythbusters
Microwaves on mobile phone is not strong enough to ignite fumes from petrol undecided
However static electricity can start a fire

1 Like

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by mommaade(f): 2:15pm On Jul 12, 2016
Na naija we dey all the combustible tinz sef understand grin
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by vinjustice(m): 2:15pm On Jul 12, 2016
actually I don't think its good for both...besides gas is more disastrous than petrol..but when situation warrants you to do.. you gotta be extra careful and 3steps behind
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by ANBAKO: 2:17pm On Jul 12, 2016
It is not safe using mobile phones in a potentially explosive environment. Where there is presence of gaseous fuel, fuel vapour etc. This is because our phones generate mini sparks when they are in operation which can ignite these fuels.

It just like saying "no smoking" in a gas (petrol) station.

Do good for good to come your way
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by LordaGuru: 2:17pm On Jul 12, 2016
If we shouldn't use that, is it lantern we are supposed to use?!

Do you want to know how to start Businesses without Money/Capital? Or, do you desire to start a particular Business/Company but you don't know much about it? Check: [url]investberich..com[/url]

1 Like

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by manuel80(m): 2:17pm On Jul 12, 2016
Trina0936:

let the phone ring when he's putting it on next time

so as to avoid stories that touch
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by alexiej(m): 2:19pm On Jul 12, 2016
sammer4life:
Kindly oblige me. I don't know the right section to post this.
Is it harmful / dangerous to use your phone near your cooking gas or near your generator, maybe to check something. We all know that our phone torch has always been our saving grace in this time of national blackout. But I am wondering, if we are told to switch off our in and around fuel stations because fuel and gas are highly combustible, is it advisable to use the same phone when cooking or near our generators ?

It's not advisable at all. I've heard of at least a case where someone got burnt after his gen caught fire cos he was trying to refuel with his phone flashlight.
I dnt know about gas, I heard there are mini mini sparks in phones that could ignite when placed by such highly inflammable materials as petrol. I think gas shld also be as risky.
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 12, 2016
manuel80:

let the phone ring when he's putting it on next time

so as to avoid stories that touch
It has rung on few occasions!
Read this:
https://www.nairaland.com/573411/mobile-phone-kills-man-generator
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 12, 2016
starbuck:

My 2cent
big lie
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Godwin978(m): 2:20pm On Jul 12, 2016
i do use mine anyway. even at thee station
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by NZAGHA(f): 2:20pm On Jul 12, 2016
*clears throat* make i book space before hia go full grin
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by odekunlemi(m): 2:21pm On Jul 12, 2016
Okay
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by harrysjones(m): 2:22pm On Jul 12, 2016
PLEASe dear tell ur dad not to use that again....we nairalande love ur dad.. pls dont forget to check my signature wink wink
Trina0936:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Glo Launches Cheaper Calls To 30 Countries / Stop Buying Gionee Phones / How To Make Ram Of SD Card Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.