Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,504 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones (15651 Views)

How To Backup All Your Phone Data Without The Use Of A Laptop Before Formatting / See The Top 7 Mobile Phones That Brought New Innovations / Computer Village: See Why Prices Of Mobile Phones Are On The Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by professore(m): 2:23pm On Jul 12, 2016
Yes don't use it near those two things,and also at the filling station.
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by manuel80(m): 2:24pm On Jul 12, 2016
Trina0936:
It has rung on few occasions! Read this: https://www.nairaland.com/573411/mobile-phone-kills-man-generator
let him continue.. no one is arguing here
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by haibe(m): 2:24pm On Jul 12, 2016
I use the flashlight on my Smartphone when refuelling after putting it in flight mode

2 Likes

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by haibe(m): 2:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
Proffdada:
This urban legend has been busted by mythbusters
Microwaves on mobile phone is not strong enough to ignite fumes from petrol undecided
However static electricity can start a fire

How then would u explain those that have died from explosions as a result of phone ringing while refuelling
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
starbuck:
Please don't use your phone near a generator, my dad lost his sale boy in the act. He went to power our generator with his Nokia torch light, as he was about switching it on, his phone rang and that was how he was burnt beyond recognition. I don't know about the cooking gas but we got to be careful on where we use our phone.

My 2cent
Nkechi, why you dey lie like this? E good for ur eye?
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by aadvark: 2:29pm On Jul 12, 2016
Category1:
At a point when ur phone starts getting muntupuluted in a disadigal way the main problem with you can get a few days of this email address or any attachments may contain information in a bit of a few days to be in the way of the newsletter click the new one of the new one of the new one of the new one more than a good time to the other use the way you are not the other than I can be able at.
Truly many are mad but only few, i repeat, only few are roaming
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by ymdo(m): 2:46pm On Jul 12, 2016
Category1:
At a point when ur phone starts getting muntupuluted in a disadigal way the main problem with you can get a few days of this email address or any attachments may contain information in a bit of a few days to be in the way of the newsletter click the new one of the new one of the new one of the new one more than a good time to the other use the way you are not the other than I can be able at.
Dont tear my belle with laughter abeg grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 12, 2016
Trina0936:

But my dad uses his Nokia torch to put on the generator all the time! undecided
Better safe than sorry
Even if its not what causes it, as long as there have been reported stories, just be on the safe side wink

1 Like

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Xhaka(m): 2:59pm On Jul 12, 2016
It is not advisable
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Theoflux(m): 3:26pm On Jul 12, 2016
sammer4life:
Kindly oblige me. I don't know the right section to post this.
Is it harmful / dangerous to use your phone near your cooking gas or near your generator, maybe to check something. We all know that our phone torch has always been our saving grace in this time of national blackout. But I am wondering, if we are told to switch off our in and around fuel stations because fuel and gas are highly combustible, is it advisable to use the same phone when cooking or near our generators ?
I use my cellphone to charge up pple cellphones. God bless Tecno.
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 12, 2016
Holyfield1:
To start with, it is theoretically possible to set off a petrol fire with a phone. The amount of energy needed for a spark to ignite petrol vapour is 0.2 mJ, which is roughly one five-millionth of the energy stored in a fully-charged phone battery. The difficulty is that the phone is not designed to make sparks.

The lithium battery could explode while charging if its internal regulator circuit was very faulty. But you don't normally simultaneously charge and talk on your mobile phone while refuelling your car. The internal electronics of the phone could fail and make a spark - but the spark would be too small.
And why worry about the phone battery when you have batteries in your iPod, CD player, mini-torch, and yes, don't forget the big 15 kg car battery that powers the electrics of your car?

Well, what about the electric field put out by your phone? Yes, the electric field has been measured at 2-5 volts/meter, and has been known to interfere with heart monitors and infant incubators in hospitals, and various electronic equipment in planes. But the electric field from a mobile phone has never been known to set off a fire in a petrol station. And consider that in the UK , some 200 Shell petrol stations have mobile phone towers in the tall petrol price indicators, which stand right there on the forecourt, a few metres from the petrol pumps. The towers put out a lot more grunt than your small mobile phone.

So what did set off those 243 petrol station fires? Most of the time, static electricity was the culprit. We've all seen or felt a spark from clothing. If you are wearing synthetic clothes in the dryness of winter, and are sliding in and out of the car, across the synthetic material of the car seat, then you can build up a big static charge. Then, if the earthing wire on the petrol hose is broken, when you touch the metal nozzle of the petrol hose to the metal neck of the petrol tank, you can discharge a visible spark. Even more dangerous, from the static electricity point-of-view, is filling up a small fuel drum.

The phone companies post warnings about using phones in petrol stations for two reasons. First, mobile phones are not designed with “Intrinsic Safety” to make them able to operate safely in truly hazardous inflammable vapour situations, and second, fear of legal liability, despite all the evidence showing that mobile phones don't cause fires in petrol stations.

So overall, the mobile phone myth is just endless chatter generating a whole lot of static.
Good analysis but how about little sparks from switching from any of the keys or power surge when trying to initiate call connection?
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by meltiplexer: 3:42pm On Jul 12, 2016
Holyfield1:
To start with, it is theoretically possible to set off a petrol fire with a phone. The amount of energy needed for a spark to ignite petrol vapour is 0.2 mJ, which is roughly one five-millionth of the energy stored in a fully-charged phone battery. The difficulty is that the phone is not designed to make sparks.

The lithium battery could explode while charging if its internal regulator circuit was very faulty. But you don't normally simultaneously charge and talk on your mobile phone while refuelling your car. The internal electronics of the phone could fail and make a spark - but the spark would be too small.
And why worry about the phone battery when you have batteries in your iPod, CD player, mini-torch, and yes, don't forget the big 15 kg car battery that powers the electrics of your car?

Well, what about the electric field put out by your phone? Yes, the electric field has been measured at 2-5 volts/meter, and has been known to interfere with heart monitors and infant incubators in hospitals, and various electronic equipment in planes. But the electric field from a mobile phone has never been known to set off a fire in a petrol station. And consider that in the UK , some 200 Shell petrol stations have mobile phone towers in the tall petrol price indicators, which stand right there on the forecourt, a few metres from the petrol pumps. The towers put out a lot more grunt than your small mobile phone.

So what did set off those 243 petrol station fires? Most of the time, static electricity was the culprit. We've all seen or felt a spark from clothing. If you are wearing synthetic clothes in the dryness of winter, and are sliding in and out of the car, across the synthetic material of the car seat, then you can build up a big static charge. Then, if the earthing wire on the petrol hose is broken, when you touch the metal nozzle of the petrol hose to the metal neck of the petrol tank, you can discharge a visible spark. Even more dangerous, from the static electricity point-of-view, is filling up a small fuel drum.

The phone companies post warnings about using phones in petrol stations for two reasons. First, mobile phones are not designed with “Intrinsic Safety” to make them able to operate safely in truly hazardous inflammable vapour situations, and second, fear of legal liability, despite all the evidence showing that mobile phones don't cause fires in petrol stations.

So overall, the mobile phone myth is just endless chatter generating a whole lot of static.

You try o,copy and paste nice one. naijabet man say so
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Rexyl(m): 3:58pm On Jul 12, 2016
starbuck:
Please don't use your phone near a generator, my dad lost his sale boy in the act. He went to power our generator with his Nokia torch light, as he was about switching it on, his phone rang and that was how he was burnt beyond recognition. I don't know about the cooking gas but we got to be careful on where we use our phone.

My 2cent

so terrible but serves warning to avoid avoidable mistakes that could cause untimely death
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 12, 2016
manuel80:

let him continue.. no one is arguing here
I only replied your question abi you wan fight me I dey my own u come quote me abeg swerve jare! undecided
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 12, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Better safe than sorry
Even if its not what causes it, as long as there have been reported stories, just be on the safe side wink
Thanks sweetie smiley
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by adedayoadedeji(m): 4:11pm On Jul 12, 2016
Trina0936:

But my dad uses his Nokia torch to put on the generator all the time! undecided

fine gal.wetin no good no good. Tell ur dad to pls stop.

1 Like

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by starbuck(f): 4:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
sammer4life:
@lalasticlala, abeg, can we move this topic to the front page. I just learnt a big lesson from Starbuck....... Others need to learn too. @starbuck, thanks ma. You still with Mayrays ?

Yea, still with them... How you dey
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by manuel80(m): 4:32pm On Jul 12, 2016
Trina0936:

I only replied your question abi you wan fight me I dey my own u come quote me abeg swerve jare! undecided
maybe you don't know the meaning of the exclamation mark at the end of the sentence indicates you're shouting

now who wants to fight who undecided
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by starbuck(f): 4:33pm On Jul 12, 2016
Chuvin22:
Nkechi, why you dey lie like this? E good for ur eye?

Oga, I am entitled to my own opinion, so, I don't care what you believe in.
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by starbuck(f): 4:36pm On Jul 12, 2016
Zceesneh:
big lie

I don't care what you believe in biko..... So chara m n' uzo
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Admols(m): 4:46pm On Jul 12, 2016
Category1:

What is this one saying? Is this how they speak English in Mars?
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by MrImole: 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
starbuck:

My 2cent
I'm sorry about your brother.

1 Like

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 12, 2016
starbuck:

I don't care what you believe in biko..... So chara m n' uzo
angry

Lols bye bye
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by bobkezel(m): 5:19pm On Jul 12, 2016
starbuck:

My 2cent

i don't believe that. Generators produce more visible sparks, phones don't produce any visible spark. If anything should catch fire, it should be the generator not the phone. So u guys should look for wetin do una sales boi.

2 Likes

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by bobkezel(m): 5:35pm On Jul 12, 2016
I don't believe these cock and bull stories of some people telling us not to use phones at the gas station or near generators. Here are my reasons. 1: vehicles/ generators/motor cycles produce more visible sparks than phones. If vehicle and generator sparks which are readily visible can't set the gas station/generator ablaze how come a non-existing/very negligible/unseen spark of a phone set the gas station/generator ablaze?
2: the pumping machine produce a spark itself but there is never a case of it setting the gas station ablaze.
3: some gas stations use generators to operate, yet there is no case of a gas station being set ablaze, and we all know that generators produce sparks.
People should think before they dish out any rubbish info, and people should also use their brains to think before the believe any rubbish info.

1 Like

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by don4real18(m): 5:38pm On Jul 12, 2016
just don't wear synthetic material that produces static charges.... phones won't cause explosions
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by fuckYouSeun(m): 6:22pm On Jul 12, 2016
starbuck:

My 2cent
lesson learnt... thanks for sharing bae

1 Like

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by happy662(m): 7:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
MzPecs:
Don't know about cooking gas buh fuelling generator is dangerous..
wat font are u using
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 12, 2016
manuel80:

maybe you don't know the meaning of the exclamation mark at the end of the sentence indicates you're shouting

now who wants to fight who undecided
Na u sabi oh! Can you quit quoting me now??
Aproprinquo! undecided

Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 12, 2016
adedayoadedeji:

fine gal.wetin no good no good. Tell ur dad to pls stop.
Fine boy,I don hear! Thanks for your concern smiley
Re: Domestic Use Of Mobile Phones by adedayoadedeji(m): 8:29pm On Jul 12, 2016
Trina0936:
Fine boy,I don hear! Thanks for your concern smiley

just like that? no hug,kiss,number? na wa oooo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is So Special About The iPhone? / Nairaland 2go Users! Drop Your 2go Username. / The Blackberry Thread: Apps, Faqs, Tips, Problems. .etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.