Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,193 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In (6398 Views)

Tecno BOOM J7 Comes In Second Place On The Top 5 Music Phones For 2015 / Good Morning Nigeria Free Call Comes To An End / Iphone 4 Explodes Midflight On Australian Airline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by kemisuga(f): 10:07am On Dec 23, 2010
Tragedy struck in Agege area of Lagos State, South West Nigeria when a staff of Fidelity Bank PLC was burnt to death while trying to switch on a generating set which caught fire when a call came in his GSM handset.

We gathered that the victim, Mr. David Adeogun, got married not too long ago and had a new baby.

Investigations revealed that Adeogun, a staff of the Ikosi, Ketu branch of the bank got home after work and wanted to switch on the generating set with the torchlight on his phone when the phone rang,

The generating set was said to have exploded immediately when the phone rang. His body, it was learnt, was seriously burnt by the explosion.

He died later in the hospital after being hospitalised for a week.

Some staff of the bank said the death of their colleague came to them as a shock.

A staff, who craved anonymity lamented the death of Adeogun and called on Nigerians using the torchlight on their handsets while putting on their generating sets on at night to desist from doing so as it could lead to an explosion when a call comes in.

Another staff of the bank described the deceased as a cool and easy going person who would not look for people’s trouble. A similar incident occurred two weeks ago when a man was killed while trying to put on the generating set for his family at night using the torchlight on his handset. The generating set was said to have caught fire when a call came in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by texazzpete(m): 12:40pm On Dec 23, 2010
Why are people still spreading these lies?
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by Emmyk(m): 12:51pm On Dec 23, 2010
Why must call come in the moment they're wif the generator ?
Sounds like a fairy tale, cool
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by kemisuga(f): 3:31pm On Dec 23, 2010
It is true
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by semid4lyfe(m): 5:45pm On Dec 23, 2010
Emmyk:
Why must call come in the moment they're wif the generator ?
Sounds like a fairy tale

True. . . coincidental and highly unlikely but a call could come in when he's tryna switch on the gen. I gats add though, that I switch on my Gen with my Nokia 1200 torchlight almost everyday and a call has never come in when I with the Generator.

Kemisugar:
got home after work and wanted to switch on the generating set with the torchlight on his phone when the phone

Lots of Nigerians do this everyday. . . return from work at night, comot the N1000/N500 fuel wey dem buy from booth of their car, remove their office outfit and the next thing na to fuel the generator, add oil and begin dey pull  or dey battle with keyswitch as the case may be. . .na the Naija way, lol grin

Anyway, may his gentle soul rest in peace and may God give the family the fortitude to bear the loss.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by texazzpete(m): 6:47pm On Dec 23, 2010
kemisuga:

It is true

yeah right.
it has been proven numerous times that cellphones cannot ignite fuel. Hell, there was even a Mythbusters episode on this sef. All these 'generator exploded when making phone call' are hoaxes that have been floating around for several years.
Rubbish.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by cotex(m): 5:22pm On Dec 24, 2010
Guys let us not joke with this information we should be careful so that it will not be our portion.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by samir101ng(m): 6:52am On Dec 25, 2010
texazzpete:

yeah right.
it has been proven numerous times that cellphones cannot ignite fuel. Hell, there was even a Mythbusters episode on this sef. All these 'generator exploded when making phone call' are hoaxes that have been floating around for several years.
Rubbish.

Thank you, my brother. I remember watching it on Discovery Channel and thinking out loud that many Nigerians will never believe me when i said it. What about the myth that bullets fired at a fuel tank will explode your car ? These guys fired round after round into the fuel tank of a car and nothing happened.

It's unfortunate that somebody lost his life yet again as a result of lack of a basic amenity (Electricity). May his Gentle soul rest in peace. Amen.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by WackyJ1(m): 2:10am On Dec 26, 2010
This is a new innovation by nigeria terrorists
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by dipo2much(m): 3:56pm On Dec 26, 2010
WackyJ1:

This is a new innovation by nigeria terrorists

No yawa. I hope it doesnt happen to you sha. You think say na play when them say make we dey off phone for gas station
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by WackyJ1(m): 10:33pm On Dec 26, 2010
dipo2much:

No yawa. I hope it doesnt happen to you sha. You think say na play when them say make we dey off phone for gas station
Hmmm na true o
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by Bright2(m): 7:19pm On Jan 01, 2011
A word is enough for a wise,be careful shocked
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by cabali(m): 1:50am On Jan 03, 2011
I heard this exact story in 2003; just that it has been adjusted to fit the surroundings of 2010 and the present age. I am yet to take the story for anything close to real.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by Rogbese(m): 6:19pm On Jan 03, 2011
Ignorance is a really bad thing. There is NO WAY a ringing phone will ignite to to talk about explode a generator (petrol). Mythbusters on Discovery did EXTENSIVE test to show this. Please stop rumor mongering. angry
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by cabali(m): 9:31pm On Jan 03, 2011
. . . . . and they say a cigarette stub can light petrol as seen in movies. . . .
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by olad54: 10:23pm On Jan 03, 2011
my brothers and sisters.ignorant kills more than anything else. handset uses waves to connect.its just like microwaves.if go to gas station or petrol stations in the western world,you will notice or see the warning not to use your handset while filling your car.handset generates electricity like your generator.please be warned and be carefull.

1 Like

Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by WackyJ1(m): 12:57am On Jan 04, 2011
cabali:

. . . . . and they say a cigarette stub can light petrol as seen in movies. . . .
That's different. It actually can
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by Rogbese(m): 12:49pm On Jan 04, 2011
WackyJ1:

That's different. It actually can

Wow! I don't believe this!!! Nigerians are mostly all stuck in first gear! I have personally poured petrol in my hand and dipped a cigarette stub in it and I'm still standing here today. I won a lot of money from chaps like WackyJ1 that bet against me! Cabali, no mind them jare!

olad54:

my brothers and sisters.ignorant kills more than anything else. handset uses waves to connect.its just like microwaves.if go to gas station or petrol stations in the western world,you will notice or see the warning not to use your handset while filling your car.handset generates electricity like your generator.please be warned and be carefull.

"Ignorant" really does kill more than anything else. If u put petrol in a microwave it will make the petrol boil releasing lots of fumes. If those fumes come in contact with a naked flame or a spark then it will ignite. Also how on earth can u say a phone generates electricity. We for all join our phones together so we can solve NEPA problem!

1 Like

Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by olad54: 9:59pm On Jan 04, 2011
Rogbese please read your handset ¨owners manual for more details on the dangers of handsetS.it is better to be safe than sorry. Go on the net type cell phone +explosions. and see what it gives you.thank you brother;
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by WackyJ1(m): 1:04am On Jan 06, 2011
Rogbese:

Wow! I don't believe this!!! Nigerians are mostly all stuck in first gear! I have personally poured petrol in my hand and dipped a cigarette stub in it and I'm still standing here today. I won a lot of money from chaps like WackyJ1 that bet against me! Cabali, no mind them jare!

i wonder the kinda stub you used. If you actually watched those films well you'll see that it's a lighted stub that was used. In fact why don't you try it again. Smoke the cigar then when you want to snuff it out, don't snuff it out in a ash tray but in your palm dipped in petrol.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by Rogbese(m): 6:15am On Jan 06, 2011
That is EXACTLY what I did. Do not believe everything you see In movies. I'm a film/special FX editor so I should know!
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by WackyJ1(m): 4:07pm On Jan 06, 2011
Wow! I didn't know you worked for Hollywood.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by Rogbese(m): 4:12pm On Jan 06, 2011
Stop be sarcastic and be realistic. Not everything you see in movies is real. I shall not pursue this with you any further.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by Rogbese(m): 4:13pm On Jan 06, 2011
Stop being sarcastic and be realistic. Not everything you see in movies is real. I shall not pursue this with you any further.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by olad54: 8:34pm On Jan 06, 2011
stop being ignorant.do what i suggested in my last reply to you. it is then you can prove me wrong.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by WackyJ1(m): 2:14am On Jan 07, 2011
Rogbese:

Stop be sarcastic and be realistic. Not everything you see in movies is real. I shall not pursue this with you any further.
Thanks
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by olad54: 9:37pm On Jan 07, 2011
wacky1 do your home work very well.you just don,t giveup without concrete proof and verification about what am saying.tell me, do you know the components of your handset.again go to internet and find out.we are talking about saving lifes here.thank you.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by olad54: 9:46pm On Jan 07, 2011
THE TIMES THE SUNDAY TIMES TIMES+ The TimesThe Sunday TimesArchive Article Please enjoy this article from The Times & The Sunday Times archives. For full access to our content, please subscribe here MY PROFILE From Times Online February 3, 2009

Man killed by 'exploding mobile phone'Mike Harvey, Technology Correspondent
A man has died after his mobile phone exploded, severing a major artery in his neck, according to reports.

The man, thought to be a shop assistant in his twenties at a computer shop in Guangzhou, China, died after he put a new battery in his phone. It was believed that he may have just finished charging the battery and had put the phone in his breast pocket when it exploded.

According to the local Chinese daily Shin Min Daily News, the accident happened on January 30 at 7.30pm. An employee at the shop told Chinese media that she heard a loud bang and saw her colleague lying on the floor of the shop in a pool of blood. The employee said the victim had recently changed the battery in his mobile phone.

Chinese authorities have yet to determine the make and model of the phone and its battery. Some reports indicated the store was a Lenovo shop, but it was thought that this might be because the shop advertised Lenovo computer products. Police were investigating whether the phone and battery were counterfeit.

Local reports said that this was the ninth recorded cellphone explosion in China since 2002. In the most high profile recent incident, in June 2007, a 22-year-old welder, Xiao Jinpeng, died from chest wounds when his mobile phone exploded while he was at work at an iron mill in Gansu province.

A local government inquiry found that the mobile phone battery had exploded due to the heat of the iron mill. Lithium batteries are widely used in mobile phones - but if they are overcharged or exposed to heat, the inflammable liquid inside can explode.

Motorola and Nokia, two of the world's biggest mobile phone makers, denied links to the distributors of problem batteries in China, suggesting they were counterfeit.

After the latest incident, the Shin Min Daily News published advice for consumers on how to avoid mobile phone explosions. The tips included:

- Always use original batteries. Be sure that batteries by the manufacturer are meant for your mobile phone.

- Never modify your phone

- Always use original battery chargers

- Do not expose your mobile phone to high temperatures, and avoid exposing it to direct sunlight

- Avoid long phone conversations

- Do not make or answer calls when the phone is charging

- Try to keep your phone in a bag instead of in a pocket

- Do not use damaged batteries

Explore Personal Tech
InGear

Best of Google Streetview

Weird and wonderful images from Google Street View

Slide Show

PERSONAL TECH

Articles from our sister site:

No Signal: Homes Often Baffle Wi-Fi

Trying Out a Revamped Myspace

Your Apps Are Watching You

Contact us | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy | Site Map | FAQ | Syndication | Advertising
© Times Newspapers Ltd 2010 Registered in England No. 894646 Registered office: 1 Virginia Street, London, E98 1XY
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by olad54: 9:59pm On Jan 07, 2011
please wacky1 again go on the net type (mobile phone + explosion) and see what it gives you.now am done with you.bye
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by WackyJ1(m): 10:45pm On Jan 07, 2011
olad54:

wacky1 do your home work very well.you just don,t giveup without concrete proof and verification about what am saying.tell me, do you know the components of your handset.again go to internet and find out.we are talking about saving lifes here.thank you.

I'm not giving up. I know very well that there is a chance that mobile phones can explode given the electrical components inside it. Even more so close to an environment like a fuel station. I just wanted the argument to end with the guy who says that just because Ciggarettes ignite fires with petrol in movies doesn't mean they happen in real life. Hollywood bases some of these stunts on real life occurrences and if you go to google you will see that the possibility of a lit cigarette igniting petrol is high
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by professore(m): 2:58pm On Jul 12, 2016
The best is to do away with your phone near a generator,if a call comes in with ur torchlight on,problem;if you receive a call torchlight or not,problem. May God protect us.
Re: Mobile Phone Kills Man As Generator Explodes While Call Comes In by Promise05(m): 6:37am On Jul 29, 2016
How many times will our nija take this simple advice if in da kill or not while not avoid it for your seek. We have been worned not to make calls while at filling stations or when dealing with anything petrol but some block head still refuse to hide to the warning. Okey best of luck to the deaf once.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apple Iphone 6 Vs Iphone 6 Plus: What You Need To Know? / How Can I Install Games With OBB Files / How To Use The Infrared On Phone.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.