Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why (3220 Views)

These Android Applications Have Been Stealing Your Contacts / How To Stop Airtel Unsolicited Messages That Are Stealing Your Credit Yourself / How To Opt Out Of MTN Subscriptions That Are Stealing Your Credit Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by MhizSophy(f): 8:39am On Jul 07, 2016
In Nigeria in particular, I know many people won't suspect something
like this. The only security precautions many people take are to make
sure any suspicious persons aren't around or preventing someone
from seeing their pin. With the Increase in Cybercrime, the normal
precautions we take might never actually be enough.
I have heard a lot about ATM skimmers, but it's nearly impossible to
spot one.

Most skimmers are designed to look exactly like the card slot on the
original machine and attached to the front, and others are completely
hidden inside the ATM.

A cyber security expert Benjamin Tedesco spotted an ATM skimmer
that was totally unrecognizable.

Tedesco was hanging out in Vienna and when about to draw some
cash from a cash machine outside St. Stephen's Cathedral, he decided
to do a quick visual inspection of the ATM machine and surprisingly
spotted the dodgy device attached to it.

That was a credit card skimmer – a perfect replica of the actual card
reader that was designed to steal credit card information of users
when they swipe their card to take off cash from the ATM.

"Being security paranoid, I repeated my typical habit of checking
the card reader with my hand as I have 100's of times," Tedesco
wrote in a blog post. "Today's the day when my security awareness
paid off!"

Tedesco, an employee of Carbon Black firm, immediately grabbed hold on the Skimmer glued on the top of the actual card reader and dragged it out.

The ATM skimmer detected by Tedesco contained a magnetic strip
reader, battery, some sort of switch and a control board with the four
pin connector.
This us leaves the question- How many ATM's have skimmers already
attached.

Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by MhizSophy(f): 8:40am On Jul 07, 2016
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by DesChyko: 9:01am On Jul 07, 2016
What is easier for you is easier for them too. As you no gree dey queue, take am like that.
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by MhizSophy(f): 9:47am On Jul 07, 2016
smiley lalasticlala
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by ikombe: 9:58am On Jul 07, 2016
Am not sure if a nigerian scammer can get hold of such device. undecided

thanx for d info tho op cheesy
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by ikombe: 10:01am On Jul 07, 2016
DesChyko:
What is easier for you is easier for them too. As you no gree dey queue, take am like that.

1 Like

Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by SATOH: 10:03am On Jul 07, 2016
Nice piece of information.

Cc. Lalasticlala
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by MhizSophy(f): 10:24am On Jul 07, 2016
ikombe:

uwc.. Hopefully they won't find out.. I know a site that Sells it though.. I won't release the link. Scammers would go after it..
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by Dfinex(f): 10:53am On Jul 07, 2016
ikombe:

u can never be too sure bro....we can only hope and pray that our banks become proactive in order to curb it in the budding stage
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by ikombe: 11:51am On Jul 07, 2016
Dfinex:

u can never be too sure bro....we can only hope and pray that our banks become proactive in order to curb it in the budding stage
true talk wink
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by Escodeb(m): 12:05pm On Jul 07, 2016
Hmm
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by ikombe: 12:19pm On Jul 07, 2016
MhizSophy:
uwc.. Hopefully they won't find out.. I know a site that Sells it though.. I won't release the link. Scammers would go after it..
you know a site

Babe i no trust you again undecided

How i wan take know say u never purchase 1 already undecided
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by Viktor1983(m): 12:36pm On Jul 07, 2016
ikombe:

Are u underestimating these pipo?
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by MhizSophy(f): 12:46pm On Jul 07, 2016
ikombe:
you know a site

Babe i no trust you again undecided

How i wan take know say u never purchase 1 already undecided

Lol.. Trust me.. I don't have any one oh.. If I had one, I won't spoil my business by posting it nah grin
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by ikombe: 1:19pm On Jul 07, 2016
MhizSophy:

Lol.. Trust me.. I don't have any one oh.. If I had one, I won't spoil my business by posting it nah grin
Lol grin grin
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by Maxcollins042(m): 2:32pm On Jul 07, 2016
Thanks for the info OP

Naija scammers go be like "how will I get this device?"

Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 07, 2016
Nothing special. Skimmers are sold on ebay.
MhizSophy:
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by Tonydeeb(m): 3:56pm On Jul 07, 2016
Enlightening... Security risks is everywhere, ranging from installing that new app on your phone together with your bank's official app or quick teller to those Web browsers you make use of, there's risks everywhere.

As long as you are connected to the Internet, you're at a risk. Even your laptop's Webcam could be used to spy on you, the microphone attached used to eavesdrop on you.

Good info though, and that brings me back to the question, "Why will a legal e-commerce site such as eBay not scrutinize products being sold on their platform?, what's the aim of the manufacturers of these " skimmers", producing such in commercial quantities?.
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by dayjee: 4:56pm On Jul 07, 2016
I just pray 9ja scammers don't get their hands on this...
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by annacheem: 5:35pm On Jul 07, 2016
nice one op
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by Xionez(m): 5:58pm On Jul 07, 2016
Tonydeeb:
Good info though, and that brings me back to the question, "Why will a legal e-commerce site such as eBay not scrutinize products being sold on their platform?, what's the aim of the manufacturers of these " skimmers", producing such in commercial quantities?.

You cant find it on regular sites. Think Silk Road. I stumbled upon it during the days of MTN Magic SIM in 2012 or thereabout.
Was looking for links to a rare classic movie i loved as a kid when it popped up.

Was fascinated by the device. Crude but efficient. Wouldn't even know except you know what you are looking for like in the case of this paranoid guy.

But like you rightly said. The Internet is a risky place but less risky for the scammer to digitally retrieve his stolen info than physically coming to retrieve something like this.
Some banks have stepped up to using EMV chips on ATM Cards rather than just the black magnetic strip. This is wayyyyy harder for skimmers as they would need to steal your ATM card as soon as you finish your transaction.

A word of advise, try to use the flush inlet ATM's like the first image. Its easy to detect any anormally.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469560,00.asp
Avoid these ones with protruding inlets like the second image made mostly by NCR. The green plastic there is as unless as 1Terabyte on a Starcomms SIM card.

If in doubt, switch on your phone's torch and place it below the protruding plastic. It should allow light to pass through it, with no dark spots. If a dark patch or lines is spotted, alert the Customer Care or Manager..and not the Guards o. You never know.

If there is a long queue, twist or nudge the inlet and make sure its secure before making your transaction. Scammers would want easy removal and not something to battle with to prevent chances of their face getting captured by the camera.

Feeling more cautious, try this link
http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by Tonydeeb(m): 6:44pm On Jul 07, 2016
Xionez:

You cant find it on regular sites. Think Silk Road. I stumbled upon it during the days of MTN Magic SIM in 2012 or thereabout.
Was looking for links to a rare classic movie i loved as a kid when it popped up.

Was fascinated by the device. Crude but efficient. Wouldn't even know except you know what you are looking for like in the case of this paranoid guy.

But like you rightly said. The Internet is a risky place but less risky for the scammer to digitally retrieve his stolen info than physically coming to retrieve something like this.

A word of advise, always use the flush inlet ATMs like the first image not these ones with protruding inlets like the one shown above (made mostly by NCR. The second uploaded image). The green plastic there is as unless as 1Terabyte on a Starcomms SIM card.
Nice, thanks for this info, I just have become half a percentage more sage... smiley
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by kulex2k1(m): 8:20pm On Jul 07, 2016
MhizSophy:
In Nigeria in particular, I know many people won't suspect something
like this. The only security precautions many people take are to make
sure any suspicious persons aren't around or preventing someone
from seeing their pin. With the Increase in Cybercrime, the normal
precautions we take might never actually be enough.
I have heard a lot about ATM skimmers, but it's nearly impossible to
spot one.

Most skimmers are designed to look exactly like the card slot on the
original machine and attached to the front, and others are completely
hidden inside the ATM.

A cyber security expert Benjamin Tedesco spotted an ATM skimmer
that was totally unrecognizable.

Tedesco was hanging out in Vienna and when about to draw some
cash from a cash machine outside St. Stephen's Cathedral, he decided
to do a quick visual inspection of the ATM machine and surprisingly
spotted the dodgy device attached to it.

That was a credit card skimmer – a perfect replica of the actual card
reader that was designed to steal credit card information of users
when they swipe their card to take off cash from the ATM.

"Being security paranoid, I repeated my typical habit of checking
the card reader with my hand as I have 100's of times," Tedesco
wrote in a blog post. "Today's the day when my security awareness
paid off!"

Tedesco, an employee of Carbon Black firm, immediately grabbed hold on the Skimmer glued on the top of the actual card reader and dragged it out.

The ATM skimmer detected by Tedesco contained a magnetic strip
reader, battery, some sort of switch and a control board with the four
pin connector.
This us leaves the question- How many ATM's have skimmers already
attached.

@Op we dont use magnetic strip cards in Nigeria, all banks stopped using this a long time ago. we use chip cards.. so its kinda difficult for all u just posted......
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by MhizSophy(f): 9:45pm On Jul 07, 2016
Xionez:

Some banks have stepped up to using EMV chips on ATM Cards rather than just the black magnetic strip. This is wayyyyy harder for skimmers as they would need to steal your ATM card as soon as you finish your transaction.

A word of advise, try to use the flush inlet ATM's like the first image. Its easy to detect any anormally.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469560,00.asp
Avoid these ones with protruding inlets like the second image made mostly by NCR. The green plastic there is as unless as 1Terabyte on a Starcomms SIM card.

If in doubt, switch on your phone's torch and place it below the protruding plastic. It should allow light to pass through it, with no dark spots. If a dark patch or lines is spotted, alert the Customer Care or Manager..and not the Guards o. You never know.

If there is a long queue, twist or nudge the inlet and make sure its secure before making your transaction. Scammers would want easy removal and not something to battle with to prevent chances of their face getting captured by the camera.

Feeling more cautious, try this link
http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/
Nice piece of information
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by MhizSophy(f): 6:47am On Jul 08, 2016
kulex2k1:

@Op we dont use magnetic strip cards in Nigeria, all banks stopped using this a long time ago. we use chip cards.. so its kinda difficult for all u just posted......
hmmmm... Ok
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by Peterpan222(m): 12:03pm On Jul 08, 2016
kulex2k1:

It's a big lie.. Stop misleading people. Check the back of your ATM card @ the top just before your card (C V V) sitting very relaxed there.. tongue

You misleading.. because I was already in diaspora between what OP said and what u just said. The only option was for me to do the research myself and I now finally know that your own advice is very wrong. My two ATM cards.. GTB and UBA still has that back magnetic strip and it's still valid. The two Giant banks in Nigeria still uses this, then what of others....

I advice u follow the XIONEZ advice by using the flush inlet ATM's and not the Protruding type ATM's...

For the evidence of my statement, see pics below:

Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by MhizSophy(f): 12:37pm On Jul 08, 2016
Cc puskin & honsule , Seun. Hope ya ATM's are safe with this topic here
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by kulex2k1(m): 5:50pm On Jul 08, 2016
Peterpan222:

It's a big lie.. Stop misleading people. Check the back of your ATM card @ the top just before your card (C V V) sitting very relaxed there.. tongue

You misleading.. because I was already in diaspora between what OP said and what u just said. The only option was for me to do the research myself and I now finally know that your own advice is very wrong. My two ATM cards.. GTB and UBA still has that back magnetic strip and it's still valid. The two Giant banks in Nigeria still uses this, then what of others....

I advice u follow the XIONEZ advice by using the flush inlet ATM's and not the Protruding type ATM's...

For the evidence of my statement, see pics below:

Guy ur getting it all wrong man... we arent talking about (C V V). All atm cards av them but that isnt where ur card details is stored. Some countries still use magnetic strip true which i really dunno y dey still do but please check ur own ATM card what ull see is a chip sometin like wat u av on ur simcard. tjat is were data is stored and unlike the magnetic strip this is more secured. confirm from ur bank please.

Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by XeXChangeZone: 7:07pm On Jul 08, 2016
In Netherlands there is nothing as such as card security is top notch by Banks. The information above is a wonderful one.
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by matrixx9(m): 7:02am On Jul 09, 2016
Cool post
Re: That ATM Machine May Be Stealing Your Card Details - See Why by Xionez(m): 9:38pm On Jul 09, 2016
kulex2k1:

Guy ur getting it all wrong man... we arent talking about (C V V). All atm cards av them but that isnt where ur card details is stored. Some countries still use magnetic strip true which i really dunno y dey still do but please check ur own ATM card what ull see is a chip sometin like wat u av on ur simcard. tjat is were data is stored and unlike the magnetic strip this is more secured. confirm from ur bank please.

Thank you my brother, those are commonly called EMV chips. We stopped using magnetic strips only ATM transactions years ago. The chip is an added security.

Magnetic Strips are still mostly used for those Swipe credit cards and not the insert-card method we use when making ATM transactions.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please Someone Should Explain This Message From GLO To Me (photo) / Leagoo Kiicaa Power Charging Problem* Please Help / The Instagram Newly Launched App To Rival Twitter - HOW IT WORKS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.