Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 (14433 Views)

Nairalander Review Of A32F: Budget Android Oreo Phone With Fingerprint Security / Launching Of Tecno Camon Cx & Cx Air (Live Updates) / A Nairalander's Review Of The BOOM J8 By Bustscam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Marvell23(m): 3:49pm On Jul 08, 2016
After the hype and buzz in the media about the Tecno Camon C9, I was opportune to lay my hands on the device. It’s barely a week since I got the device so I will be letting you guys know what I feel about the device – what I like and what I don’t like.
Since many bloggers have already unboxed the device, I will only talk about the accessories that came with the device. Camon C9 is a fully accessorized device. It has all the regular accessories like smart pouch, earphone, a 3-mouthed USB adapter charger with the USB cord, User manual and warranty card. So let’s go into the review proper

Design

The unit with me is the sandstone black. The body has a somewhat curvy and sandstone feel that makes for a sturdy hold in the hands. It’s unbelievably light in my hands despite being a 5.5-inch device with 3000mAh battery capacity. The edges around the device is metallic and is premium looking and sturdy

All pictures used in these reviews are taken with the Camon C9, except the two battery stat screenshots
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3944193_dd2_jpegef979349743636182b9a6a30238b429e
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3944194_img20160702wa0000_jpeg498ed5f1cf919c1198d76190be898459

The back camera is designed to align with the back while the front camera is noticeably huge at the front of the device. The front facing lens has 83° wider angle selfie and can capture lots of people in a group selfie. This may be the reason the lens is very big.

Display and software

It has a full HD IPS screen, texts and images are crisp and very sharp. The sharpness and vividness of the display is visibly better compared to its predecessor; Camon C8. Outdoor visibility is great at maximum brightness. I could read texts and operate the device easily outside on a sunny day without having to strain my eyes.

From what I have seen on the Tecno Boom J8’s HiOS, nothing much has changed to the new version of the HiOS on the Camon C9. Except now that the HiOS is more stable with and the huge customizable themes TECNO now added to the new HiOS. The device runs HiOS version 1.1.0 on top of android 6.0 marshmallow. Everything seems to be working fine on the new version. Apps launch time is fast and the screen responsiveness is great too.

Performance

Tecno Camon C9 comes with Mediatek6753 octa-core processor at 1.3 GHz and a Mali-T720 GPU. There is 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage which can be extended to 128GB through the MicroSD slot. The screen is 5.5-inch full HD 1080 * 1920 –pixel IPS panel. The battery comes in at 3000mAh and the front and back camera is 13MP like I mentioned earlier. There is Irish scanner, 4G-connectivity available in both SIM1 and SIM2, Bluetooth 4.0, dual SIM standby and Wi-Fi direct

Camera

This is the part I believe many people are waiting for and I won’t let you down by jumping this area. The device comes fitted with 13MP rear and front camera. I guess it is TECNO’s first device with such camera hardware. I will start with the front camera. The front facing camera shoots clear and bright selfies under well-lit environment and the angle is honestly wide. However I am not impressed with the low light performance of the front camera, aside that the front camera is a beast on a good lightning condition. It captures more people in a group selfie than most high end devices I have. This is one of the areas the Camon C9 clearly leads the pack.

The rear camera is simple to use and focuses very well. What I like about the rear camera is that close-up images are very good and it attempts to blur some parts of the image in case you want it to focus on a particular area on the image. This is due to the f/2.0 aperture on the camera. An aperture of f/1.8 can completely blur an area you don’t want to reveal on your photo. This is the type you will find on high-end professional cameras. I also noticed during my comparison with Camon C8 that colour is now more accurate and images taken with the camera are closer to reality

Selfie with the Tecno Camon C9
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3944263_dd_jpeg1b181d5bd454754e5882e022ec847a32

Video sample of Camon C9 at full HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe4alwf8v94

Samples from the rear camera
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3944257_img201606290854351_jpegef15e903ba07a45a89cd991d99b3bf00
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3944309_img201606290854591_jpeg108bcfee28f87f6e591085508f79ef83

Iris Scanner

Tecno instead of the normal fingerprint sensor, tried its hands on a different security feature on the Camon C9. They called this eye print. The Iris Scanner relies on the iris to lock and unlock the device. It allows 5 maximum IDs. This is the first time TECNO device will have this type of technology but how many people will really fancy this technology? Only time will tell.
Like fingerprint, the system requires you to register your eye print in a series of attempts for the sake of security authentication. You can also lock your apps with the eyeprint in case you don’t want people to access a particular app on the device.
In case the eyeprint doesn’t work accurately, the system gives the option to use password to unlock. I use the password option more often because I do not have the patient to use the eyeprint scanner but it’s still cool to know you have it on your device.

Smart Cover

Another thing I like about the device is the smart cover that came with the device. The pouch is quite functional with three helpful screens; a digital clock, music player and the third has torch light and battery percentage. You can access all of these features without having to open the pouch. This is a tradition TECNO has maintained over the years.

Battery

The Tecno Camon C9 is powered by a 3,000 mAh battery. On paper the battery is average but real life usage will tell if the battery is really good
The battery charges from 0% to a 100% full charge in 2 hours 25 minutes. After I charged the device to full capacity, I woke up by 1:AM to do my social media thing , I browsed from that time till 10:AM ,the battery was still at 52% which is impressive. The phone was only idle for 1% and this is my battery stats

On moderate use, the battery of the Tecno Camon C9 lasted me from morning till the next morning and I would have to charge it in the office. Overall the battery has been impressive for a device with full HD display.
Battery saving features on the device like Ultra Power Mode, Battery Saver and Heartbeat Sync contribute in reducing unwanted consumption of juice.

Verdict

Tecno Camon C9 is a very good device. It is solidly built and the display is awesome at full HD. There many things I like about the phone –the rear camera is a beast, battery performance is great and the integration of Iris scanner makes the phone unique among its rivals. The front camera low light performance is not a winner for me, I expect lot more from the Camon C9. However, outdoor tests I carried out are very good and impressive. The device is rumoured be sold at a retail price of N49, 999 across offline and online

You are free to ask me any question about the device I will be around to answer your questions

Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by michhitman(m): 4:42pm On Jul 08, 2016
Nice review sir, buh wah bout dah T-band?
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Marvell23(m): 4:46pm On Jul 08, 2016
michhitman:
Nice review sir, buh wah bout dah T-band?
The T-band is only available for those that pre-ordered the device earlier, but I don't think TECNO plan to sell it for now
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by ayobami52(m): 5:37pm On Jul 08, 2016
Finally an unbiased review on Tecno products. For me I don't like the iris scanner stuff, it's waste of time. Nice review Sha
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by michhitman(m): 8:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
Marvell23:
The T-band is only available for those that pre-ordered the device earlier, but I don't think TECNO plan to sell it for now
well soon sha, i saw a banner of d T-band, and d price was 1k,nt yet 4 sale tho.
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by olaneyo18: 8:32pm On Jul 08, 2016
@Op but this picture from the front camera is great and you said you are not impressed? Haba the phone try and the camera is good
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by JustOutstanding: 10:45am On Jul 09, 2016
I used to think very low of tecno phones until i handled the phantom Z. I immediately had a change of heart.
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by blacknigga(m): 11:18am On Jul 09, 2016
I would like to sell my tecno c8 and switch to tecno C9, Am in Benue state, markurdi.... Call me with 07063166852 if interested in buying my c8 for 26k.... The phn is still clean, bought it early January this year.
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Marvell23(m): 9:24am On Jul 11, 2016
blacknigga:
I would like to sell my tecno c8 and switch to tecno C9, Am in Benue state, markurdi.... Call me with 07063166852 if interested in buying my c8 for 26k.... The phn is still clean, bought it early January this year.
is it negotiable?
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by samdean(m): 11:27am On Jul 11, 2016
blacknigga:

which part of Benue are u? am interested
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by okoheemmanuel: 12:33pm On Jul 11, 2016
disappointed when I saw tecno j8 after all the hype... I was amazed when I saw oukitel k6000 pro at zenith bank sumdays back
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Xhaka(m): 1:46pm On Jul 11, 2016
Oboi, see as camera sharp.
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by omoalajah(m): 4:17pm On Jul 11, 2016
This camera amaze me, i saw some pictures on twitter and didn't believe those shot was taken with a phone camera.
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by gingerman876: 4:52pm On Jul 11, 2016
Me i don sharp since o... LOL
JustOutstanding:
I used to think very low of tecno phones until i handled the phantom Z. I immediately had a change of heart.
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by yinka360nl1: 5:00pm On Jul 11, 2016
Bad guy, u don day use TECNo since 2001 abi? OLODO... grin
gingerman876:
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by 360koncepts: 5:10pm On Jul 11, 2016
Well written user review. Nice one OP
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by superfelix: 5:43pm On Jul 11, 2016
Nice
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Marvell23(m): 6:36pm On Jul 11, 2016
360koncepts:
Well written user review. Nice one OP
Thanks for passing by
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by stevepeters: 12:37am On Jul 12, 2016
The camera is a sellout. Its dope. Know this will have quicken many other phone brands.
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by JustOutstanding: 4:26am On Jul 14, 2016
gingerman876:
I be confirm learner ooo
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by majorclems: 12:16pm On Jul 14, 2016
clear shots...so why do pple say the cam is not good?? if i catch una ehh!
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by majorclems: 12:18pm On Jul 14, 2016
above quote seconded
stevepeters:
The camera is a sellout. Its dope. Know this will have quicken many other phone brands.
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by stevepeters: 1:32pm On Jul 14, 2016
majorclems:
above quote seconded

#thumbs_up just go get camon c9 if you are lover of pictures and want a good android device
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by stevepeters: 1:38pm On Jul 14, 2016
majorclems:
above quote seconded

#thumbs_up just go get camon c9 if you are lover of pictures and want a good android device
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by TohKunBoh: 2:00pm On Jul 14, 2016
ayobami52:
Finally an unbiased review on Tecno products. For me I don't like the iris scanner stuff, it's waste of time. Nice review Sha
Infact that's what I like in the phone,iris scanner.. Its classy bruh
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by dhsfbi(m): 2:05pm On Jul 14, 2016
Tecno Camon C9 is indeed a great phone for its price. Waiting for InnJoo response with the Innjoo Max 3.
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Dannybrainz: 2:23pm On Jul 14, 2016
No doubts the c9 is good product
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 14, 2016
Umi iron 4 sale @ 28k
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Marvell23(m): 4:16pm On Jul 14, 2016
dhsfbi:
Tecno Camon C9 is indeed a great phone for its price. Waiting for InnJoo response with the Innjoo Max 3.
Innjoo has not been doing well with their terrible battery life and screen problem
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Penaldo: 5:45pm On Jul 14, 2016
Nice review. All reviews seem to be pointing one direction though
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Penaldo: 5:45pm On Jul 14, 2016
ayobami52:
very unbiased review.
Re: A Nairalander's Review Of Tecno Camon C9 by Penaldo: 5:46pm On Jul 14, 2016
okoheemmanuel:
disappointed when I saw tecno j8 after all the hype... I was amazed when I saw oukitel k6000 pro at zenith bank sumdays back
There is a passionate J8 fan on NL. lemme call her grin Ibibiofirstlady

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Nigerian Twitter Influencers' Accounts Were Suspended And How To Avoid It / 250 Million Fake Phones Sold In Nigeria Yearly - NCC / "Bought From INITIALIZE" P6000(unboxing And Review)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.