Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

The Tower Of Babel - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Tower Of Babel (2447 Views)

The Tower Of Babel / The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread / Did Our Languages Come From Tower Of Babel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 08, 2016
3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”
I am christian and i just need some clarifications. God said in verse 6 above "because these people speak one language nothing they plan will be impossible" which suggests that the tower they were planning to build to reach the heavens would be achieved eventually, so God confused their language. Does this mean God thought anyone could build any structure that would reach the heavens ? Even with all the advancement in building technology in the world right now, such structure is impossible to build.
Winner01and KingEbukanaija your inputs are needed please
Re: The Tower Of Babel by analice107: 10:10pm On Jul 08, 2016
juncheng:

I am christian and i just need some clarifications. God said in verse 6 above "because these people speak one language nothing they plan will be impossible" which suggests that the tower they were planning to build to reach the heavens would be achieved eventually, so God confused their language. Does this mean God thought anyone could build any structure that would reach the heavens ? Even with all the advancement in building technology in the world right now, such structure is impossible to build.
And as a Christian, if an unbeliever asks you this question, try venturing an answer. let's start from there. What will you say?
Re: The Tower Of Babel by dblackninja: 10:20pm On Jul 08, 2016
Hahaha see analice107 reply...lmao...anyway am observing to still lmfao
Re: The Tower Of Babel by analice107: 10:24pm On Jul 08, 2016
dblackninja:
Hahaha see analice107 reply...lmao...anyway am observing to still lmfao
No sir, I have not replied you yet. Don't worry, I will go with you to any extent in this thread, just answer me.
Re: The Tower Of Babel by KingEbukaNaija: 10:27pm On Jul 08, 2016
juncheng:

Winner01 and KingEbukanaija your inputs are needed please

Thanks bro for the mention .

Here are two explanations for it

1. Babel means gate to Heaven or gate of God , you know like a portal - this esoteric knowledge could have been revealed to the men of the earth by the fallen angels . The only way to reach this portal was to build a tower , there were no aircraft then .

2. It is an allegory - the construction of the tower whose top reaches heaven is a symbol of the rebellion of man against God . Man aims to be as Yahweh and even attempts to reach his heavenly abode. The story is seen as a morality tale that denounces the supposed arrogance of man and berates the pursuit of godhood. As it is always the case, man is portrayed as a haughty evildoer who seeks to claim for himself the title of divinity .

The pic shows a portal . Look at those towers below it . That was what the builders made onerous efforts to get to -that's if you choose to take the story as a literal narrative . A portal is like a shortcut - a magical or technological doorway that connects two locations, dimensions, or points in time

Re: The Tower Of Babel by Ranchhoddas: 10:38pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

1. Babel means gate to Heaven or gate of God , you know like a portal - this esoteric knowledge could have been revealed to the men of the earth by the fallen angels . The only way to reach this portal was to build a tower , there were no aircraft then .

2. It is an allegory - the construction of the tower whose top reaches heaven is a symbol of the rebellion of man against God . Man aims to be as Yahweh and even attempts to reach his heavenly abode. The story is seen as a morality tale that denounces the supposed arrogance of man and berates the pursuit of godhood. As it is always the case, man is portrayed as a haughty evildoer who seeks to claim for himself the title of divinity .

The pic shows a portal . Look at those towers below it . That was the builders made onerous efforts to get to -that's if you choose to take the story as a literal narrative . A portal is like a shortcut - a magical or technological doorway that connects two locations, dimensions, or points in time
Re: The Tower Of Babel by Ranchhoddas: 10:39pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

The pic shows a portal . Look at those towers below it . That was the builders made onerous efforts to get to -that's if you choose to take the story as a literal narrative . A portal is like a shortcut - a magical or technological doorway that connects two locations, dimensions, or points in time
I was expecting you to say something divinely inspired. You are just regurgitating things from apologist websites like a mindless robot. Use you spiritual understanding and stop insulting our intelligence. How can there even be two explanations for one event. You well so?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

The pic shows a portal . Look at those towers below it . That was what the builders made onerous efforts to get to -that's if you choose to take the story as a literal narrative . A portal is like a shortcut - a magical or technological doorway that connects two locations, dimensions, or points in time
Thanks for the explanation.
Re: The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 08, 2016
analice107:

And as a Christian, if an unbeliever asks you this question, try venturing an answer. let's start from there. What will you say?
If i knew i wont be asking, so if you have an explanation please go ahead and give it.
Re: The Tower Of Babel by KingEbukaNaija: 10:43pm On Jul 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I was expecting you to say something divinely inspired. You are just regurgitating things from apologist websites like a mindless robot. Use you spiritual understanding and stop insulting our intelligence. How can there even be two explanations for one event. You well so?

People with low IQs are not meant to understand this . Stay away from this thread .

Ive explained this to someone before , I just added a few things to make it clearer -> https://www.nairaland.com/3178086/paul-kalanithi-why-gave-up/2#46908895
Re: The Tower Of Babel by KingEbukaNaija: 10:45pm On Jul 08, 2016
juncheng:
Thanks for the explanation.

Anything that I should clarify or whatever ?
Re: The Tower Of Babel by promise10: 10:47pm On Jul 08, 2016
juncheng:

Please, whenever you hear heaven(where God lives) you should note that it is SPIRITUAL!!!

To understand that you have to understand the greek meaning of "HEAVEN".

Original Word: οὐρανός, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: ouranos
Phonetic Spelling: (oo-ran-os')
Short Definition: the sky, the heaven
Definition: heaven, (a) the VISIBLE heavens: the
ATMOSPHERE, the SKY, the starry heavens, (b) the SPIRITUAL heavens.

So, God was NOT talking about where he resides(heaven) as in; SPIRITUAL heaven, but the VISIBLE HEAVENS.

Spiritual heaven, where God lives, are for spirit beings!
Re: The Tower Of Babel by analice107: 10:48pm On Jul 08, 2016
juncheng:

If i knew i wont be asking, so if you have an explanation please go ahead and give it.
So, on what premise are you standing to call yourself a Christian?
*progressing*
Re: The Tower Of Babel by KingEbukaNaija: 10:50pm On Jul 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
How can there even be two explanations for one event. You well so?

This statement you made was why I asked you to stay away from this thread . When recondite explanations are made , only the perspicacious ones are expected to understand . Low IQ atheists should stay away .
Re: The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 08, 2016
promise10:

Please, whenever you hear heaven(where God lives) you should note that it is SPIRITUAL!!!

To understand that you have to understand the greek meaning of "HEAVEN".

Original Word: οὐρανός, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: ouranos
Phonetic Spelling: (oo-ran-os')
Short Definition: the sky, the heaven
Definition: heaven, (a) the VISIBLE heavens: the
ATMOSPHERE, the SKY, the starry heavens, (b) the SPIRITUAL heavens.

So, God was NOT talking about where he resides(heaven) as in; SPIRITUAL heaven, but the VISIBLE HEAVENS.

Spiritual heaven, where God lives, are for spirit beings!
I understand it is the sky and not heaven when God is
Re: The Tower Of Babel by Ranchhoddas: 10:53pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

People with low IQs are not meant to understand this . Stay away from this thread .

Ive explained this to someone before , I just added a few things to make it clearer -> https://www.nairaland.com/3178086/paul-kalanithi-why-gave-up/2#46908895
I agree that my IQ is not nearly as high as yours. But PLEASE explain to me how one biblical event can have two explanations. I am seriously at a loss.
Re: The Tower Of Babel by dblackninja: 10:53pm On Jul 08, 2016
analice107:

No sir, I have not replied you yet. Don't worry, I will go with you to any extent in this thread, just answer me.
No am not the op. Just observing to see funny replies..
Re: The Tower Of Babel by osesology(m): 10:56pm On Jul 08, 2016
Here to read comments
Re: The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Anything that I should clarify or whatever ?

Regarding your second explanation, because the first one did not really address my question, are you saying it is not an event that actually took place ? If yes, how could you tell ?
Re: The Tower Of Babel by KingEbukaNaija: 11:02pm On Jul 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I agree that my IQ is not nearly as high as yours. But PLEASE explain to me how one biblical event can have two explanations. I am seriously at a loss.

There are fundamentalist Christians - these are Christians who take everything in the bible as literal - and there are Christians that take the bible as allegorical . The point is that however you choose to take the bible as , literal or allegorical , it still makes perfect sense.

There are other allegorical explanations to different stories in the bible . Eg

1. The creation story

2. Noah and the Ark

3. The Book of Job
Re: The Tower Of Babel by analice107: 11:07pm On Jul 08, 2016
dblackninja:

No am not the op. Just observing to see funny replies..
Oh okay.
Well, Am waiting for him. People call themselves Christians without knowing anything about being a christian.
Re: The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jul 08, 2016
analice107:

So, on what premise are you standing to call yourself a Christian?
*progressing*
Like i said its either you have explanation or you let it slide, do you expect me to know everything ? You don't have right to validate my Christianity, are you Jesus or deputy Jesus ?
Re: The Tower Of Babel by Ranchhoddas: 11:08pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

This statement you made was why I asked you to stay away from this thread . When recondite explanations are made , only the perspicacious ones are expected to understand . Low IQ atheists should stay away .
I know it's easy to confuse the ability to memorize big words for intelligence. I don't blame you at all as you are not the first to think that. But please I beg you to come to my level and explain to me how a FACTUAL EVENT from an INFALLIBLE book will possess multiple narratives.
Re: The Tower Of Babel by dblackninja: 11:13pm On Jul 08, 2016
Everything in the bible is now allegorical ..
Talking snake--an allegory.
Lion eating grass--allegory.
Sun standing still--allegory.
Jesus sacrifice--allegory.
Hahaha which one is real again

I think Christians are getting some senses little by little cool

2 Likes

Re: The Tower Of Babel by KingEbukaNaija: 11:14pm On Jul 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I know it's easy to confuse the ability to memorize big words for intelligence. I don't blame you at all as you are not the first to think that.

Yawns ... more boring talk from people who can't accept that some others are special and are way better than they are

But please I beg you to come to my level and explain to me how a FACTUAL EVENT from an INFALLIBLE book will possess multiple narratives.

I've done that
Re: The Tower Of Babel by rawgame(m): 11:15pm On Jul 08, 2016
But the act of erecting a tall structure was not the problem. The Bible does not tell us that the people who built it thought they were going to reach God. It uses the phrase “ let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven ” (Gen 11:4 ) but when we look elsewhere in Scripture we find that this simply means the city and its tower was built very high:

Deuteronomy 1:28 Whither shall we go up? our brethren have discouraged our heart, saying, The people is greater and taller than we; the cities are great and walled up to heaven ; and moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakims there.
So why did God stop them? So what, exactly, was the sin?

Like so many things, the Tower of Babel was an act of disobedience. It starts in Genesis chapter 9 just after the flood:

Genesis 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

Note the end of the command: replenish the earth. Genesis 10 gives us genealogy, which ends with an explanation of God’s will for Noah’s progeny:

Genesis 10:32 These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood.

In chapter 11, we see man’s rebellion and disobedience: Genesis 11:1-2 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

Notice that it starts with defiance to God's commandment to replenish the earth and to emigrate and form different nations. Instead of travelling to separate lands, they stopped in one place together.

Genesis 11:4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

1 Like

Re: The Tower Of Babel by Ranchhoddas: 11:20pm On Jul 08, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

There are fundamentalist Christians - these are Christians who take everything in the bible as literal - and there are Christians that take the bible as allegorical . The point is that however you choose to take the bible as , literal or allegorical , it still makes perfect sense.

There are other allegorical explanations to different stories in the bible . Eg

1. The creation story

2. Noah and the Ark

3. The Book of Job
Which is it to you. Did it happen or not?
Re: The Tower Of Babel by dblackninja: 11:21pm On Jul 08, 2016
rawgame:
But the act of erecting a tall structure was not the problem. The Bible does not tell us that the people who built it thought they were going to reach God. It uses the phrase “ let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven ” (Gen 11:4 ) but when we look elsewhere in Scripture we find that this simply means the city and its tower was built very high:

Deuteronomy 1:28 Whither shall we go up? our brethren have discouraged our heart, saying, The people is greater and taller than we; the cities are great and walled up to heaven ; and moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakims there.

Like so many things, the Tower of Babel was an act of disobedience. It starts in Genesis chapter 9 just after the flood:

Genesis 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

Note the end of the command: replenish the earth. Genesis 10 gives us genealogy, which ends with an explanation of God’s will for Noah’s progeny:

Genesis 10:32 These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood.

In chapter 11, we see man’s rebellion and disobedience: Genesis 11:1-2 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

Notice that it starts with defiance to God's commandment to replenish the earth and to emigrate and form different nations. Instead of travelling to separate lands, they stopped in one place together.

Genesis 11:4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

Upon the looong gibberish, no answer was provided..Pls try again brother..lmao grin
Re: The Tower Of Babel by Ranchhoddas: 11:22pm On Jul 08, 2016
rawgame:

Was this revealed to you or did you just copy and paste it here.
Re: The Tower Of Babel by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jul 08, 2016
rawgame:

The question was did God think building a tower that will reach d sky possible for them and so had to stop them?

1 Like

Re: The Tower Of Babel by rawgame(m): 11:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
juncheng:
The question was did God think building a tower that will reach d sky possible for them and so had to stop them?

I have said before in my previous post that their disobedience propagated their actions hence God had to stop them.

1 Like

Re: The Tower Of Babel by rawgame(m): 11:30pm On Jul 08, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Was this revealed to you or did you just copy and paste it here.

Your ignorance is your business not mine. Deal with it

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do I See Double Numbers Subconsciously! / Covenant University: A Xtian University Shying Away From Theological Education? / Consequence Of Idleness To The Body Of Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.