Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,992 members, 7,814,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria (1361 Views)

Ben Bruce Reacts To Atiku's Return To PDP / The World-class Roads In Onitsha: Anambra. A Human Tragedy. Pictures.. / Ben Murray Bruce Makes A U-turn On Anti-corruption War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by iaamxavier(m): 11:56pm On Jul 08, 2016
Senator Ben Bruce has said that the nation
with the largest reserves of crude oil in the
world is Venezuela, but the crude oil could not
save Venezuela from crumbling economically.
Senator Ben Bruce says Nigeria must learn
that having oil does not mean that the
economy cannot be crippled.
Ben Bruce noted that the desperate economic
decline in Venezuela, the nation with the
world’s largest oil wealth under her ground is
a warning to Nigeria.
He said: “We must look beyond oil or we are
at risk of experiencing the same fate.
My people consider that nations like the US
and UK who used to buy Nigeria’s oil no
longer buy our oil. As a matter of fact,
America now plans to sell her own oil. In
other words our buyers are now our
competitors.
Currently, royalties from oil accounts for 90%
of our total government spending. Many
people have said that this means without oil
Nigeria could not function.
Perhaps this thinking is itself the problem.
Let us take the case of Anambra state and
make it a test state for how we could possibly
get out from the oil boom and bust cycle.
Anambra is not an oil producing state in that
it does not have oil in commercial quantities
yet it does not take loans or owe workers
salary.

According to the United Nations, Anambra has
one of the lowest poverty rates in Nigeria at
11.2% which places her ahead of 33 states.
Twenty years ago Anambra and other
Southeast states lagged in education and had
poor boy child school enrollment, but today
Anambra leads the nation in WASSCE results.
For the past three years Anambra has had
over 60% pass rates in the West African Senior
School Certificate Examination.
They have made the best improvements in
education in the whole nation and the state
government even supports private schools
financially.
But look at those states that thrive by
depending solely on federal allocation. They
are broke, cannot pay salaries and are so debt
ridden, banks will not lend to them any more.
Worst of all is that these states are performing
woefully in education.
There is something to be learned from
Anambra. Is it their policy? Is it their
budgeting practice? Is it their sense of
community? Whatever it is, it is working!
The Federal Government and other states
should study what Anambra state has been
doing right and replicate it nationally
Anambra proves that Nigeria does not need oil
to thrive. What Nigeria needs to thrive is
education. What is under the ground of this
nation is chicken change compared to what is
between the ears of our people.”
The social-media savvy senator has said that
twenty years ago the southeast states lagged
in education and had poor boy child school
enrollment, today they lead in WASSCE
results.
He noted that Abia, Anambra, Rivers and Imo
state came first, second, fourth and fifth
respectively. Ben Bruce also commend Edo for
coming in at third.
Senator Bruce said the Federal Government
and other states should study what these
states have been doing right and replicate it
nationally.

https://www.naij.com/885224-senator-ben-bruce-read-said-anambra-state.html?source=index_main

cc. lalasticlala mynd44 seun

Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by Asokoro2(m): 11:57pm On Jul 08, 2016
okay
Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by Thunderlicious: 11:59pm On Jul 08, 2016
Ok we don hear
Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by Nobody: 12:22am On Jul 09, 2016
The man is a very educated, openly minded man. I love to emulate him. Well, I've started. How? Check my signature
Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by Nobody: 12:27am On Jul 09, 2016
Ben u have to dig deeper before coming to conclusion about some of your ratings.
Am from Anambra and has experienced the past and present era of Anambra and i must tell you education did not make Anambra what it is today. Having had the opportunity of going to secondary school in Anambra, Enugu and Ogun state, i will tell u that western Nigerians are far more educated and interested in education than a normal Anambarian. The only difference is that money exchanged hands and many Anambarians are wealthy enough to enroll their kids in private schools rather than degenerated goverment schools resulting to their improved performance in WASSCE.

Apprenticeship (boy boy) the most neglected path that gave birth to so many millionaires today is what made Anambra what it is. Some billionaires we see today like Dangote, Ifeanyi Uba, Innoson Chukwuma, Coscharis motors, this people towed through this path to become who they are today. In Anambra, one or two persons from a family most have been under someone as an apprentice before, this trend continued till what u see today in Anambra. Now in Anambra in every five families u will see at-least one millionaire. Then when it comes to Industry, i think it started when Ojukwu returned from exile and encouraged igbo people to start returning their Investment home. Mainly Anambarians gave attention to that advice resulting to Nnewi the home town of Ojukwu becoming the most indigenous industrialised village in Nigeria.

Today apprenticeship (boy boy) might be an old fashioned idea but its brother which is encouragement of Smes and infant technology is not old fashioned. If the goverment needs to develop his people they must locate the grassroots and search for people who are ready to develop their self and their land. Today India and China followed this path and we fly to these places for their product.

The biggest problem we have in Nigeria now is that, the goverment is richer than the people combined together. That is so wrong, a goverment who only invest on goverment contracts rather than his people will get more poor masses than the rich. When i heard Lagos state goverment is investing on rice in Kebbi state, i just reasoned it as one of the problem we are facing in this country, How does Lagos state want its people to develop if she is busy building in his purse instead on his people. The implication is that we will be having a rich goverment and more poorer masses.

A guy complained about Ebonyi governor giving out 15 million naira Suvs to his state legislators. Thats how useless and insensitive our goverment is, tell me if this 15 million is used as Loans to Ebonyians that are wondering every park and jams in Nigeria, tell me why wont millions of this guys come home to seek for their future. I have a friend then from Ebonyi, so intelligent, he tutored me in maths with my junior brother, he refused to allow financial challenges to stop his dreams of becoming a graduate. He was a lesson teacher for about 3 years before he got money to seek admission, after two years he dropped out again, whereas in his state millions of naira is moved from executive to legislators and to judiciary every now and then. There are so many things that need rectification in this country but we need to think from grassroots.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by FagsamPHP(m): 12:49am On Jul 09, 2016
k
Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by KissCODE(m): 1:12am On Jul 09, 2016
This is the type of post that should be making FP cos it contains information that can motivate individuals, government or real wise men/women into action.

Ngige, Peter Obi did us well. Willie is trying but he is more of a social media propaganda governor than what we see here.

I am a proud Anambrarian anyway.
Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by Standing5(m): 1:17am On Jul 09, 2016
What about Bayelsa?

1 Like

Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by DucheSsMerezz(f): 2:47am On Jul 09, 2016
Nice.
Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by Sealeddeal(m): 4:47am On Jul 09, 2016
ugohemma:
Ben u have to dig deeper before coming to conclusion about some of your ratings.
Am from Anambra and has experienced the past and present era of Anambra and i must tell you education did not make Anambra what it is today. Having had the opportunity of going to secondary school in Anambra, Enugu and Ogun state, i will tell u that western Nigerians are far more educated and interested in education than a normal Anambarian. The only difference is that money exchanged hands and many Anambarians are wealthy enough to enroll their kids in private schools rather than degenerated goverment schools resulting to their improved performance in WASSCE.

Apprenticeship (boy boy) the most neglected path that gave birth to so many millionaires today is what made Anambra what it is. Some billionaires we see today like Dangote, Ifeanyi Uba, Innoson Chukwuma, Coscharis motors, this people towed through this path to become who they are today. In Anambra, one or two persons from a family most have been under someone as an apprentice before, this trend continued till what u see today in Anambra. Now in Anambra in every five families u will see at-least one millionaire. Then when it comes to Industry, i think it started when Ojukwu returned from exile and encouraged igbo people to start returning their Investment home. Mainly Anambarians gave attention to that advice resulting to Nnewi the home town of Ojukwu becoming the most indigenous industrialised village in Nigeria.

Today apprenticeship (boy boy) might be an old fashioned idea but its brother which is encouragement of Smes and infant technology is not old fashioned. If the goverment needs to develop his people they must locate the grassroots and search for people who are ready to develop their self and their land. Today India and China followed this path and we fly to these places for their product.

The biggest problem we have in Nigeria now is that, the goverment is richer than the people combined together. That is so wrong, a goverment which only invest on goverment contacts rather than his people will get more poor masses than the rich. When i heard Lagos goverment is investing on rice in Kebbi state, i just reasoned it as one of the problem we are facing in this country, How does Lagos state want its people to develop if she is busy building in his purse instead on his people. The implication is that we will be having a rich goverment and more poorer masses.

A guy complained about Ebonyi governor giving out 15 million naira Suvs to his state legislators. Thats how useless and insensitive our goverment is, tell me if this 15 million is used as Loans to Ebonyians that are wondering every park and jams in Nigeria, tell me why wont millions of this guys come home to seek for their future. I have a friend then from Ebonyi, so intelligent, he tutored me in maths with my junior brother, he refused to allow financial challenges to stop his dreams of becoming a graduate. He was a lesson teacher for about 3 years before he got money to seek admission, after two years he dropped out again, whereas in his state millions of naira is moved from executive to legislators and to judiciary every now and then. There are so many things that need rectification in this country but we need to think from grassroots.
You schooled in Ogun and from there you drew conclusion that Western Nigeria subjects ( and not Ogun state people) are more interested in Education than Anambrarians. Me think the statistics at hand faults your assertion. Not a dick measuring contest.
BTW, your other statements make sense.

2 Likes

Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by Nkem4040: 5:42am On Jul 09, 2016
Sealeddeal:
You schooled in Ogun and from there you drew conclusion that Western Nigeria subjects ( and not Ogun state people) are more interested in Education than Anambrarians. Me think the statistics at hand faults your assertion. Not a dick measuring contest.
BTW, your other statements make sense.

I'm sure that guy you replied is yoruba...as soon as he said " am from Anambra" and included Dangote's name.

2 Likes

Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by Nobody: 5:48am On Jul 09, 2016
We both know how exam malpractice is fairing both at public and private schools spare me all that crap.

1 Like

Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by malton: 6:12am On Jul 09, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by iaamxavier(m): 10:20am On Jul 09, 2016
Nkem4040:

I'm sure that guy you replied is yoruba...as soon as he said " am from Anambra" and included Dangote's name.

I tot I'm the only one that saw it? dangote?!? all this brown roofers be claiming Igbo since 1900bc

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Ben Bruce Makes Anambra A Case Study For Nigeria by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 09, 2016
iaamxavier:

I tot I'm the only one that saw it? dangote?!? all this brown roofers be claiming Igbo since 1900bc
Mechie gi onu, I added his name just to point out people who are billionaires today that were once apprentice. Maybe I will add Ibeto chukuma to the list and remove Dangote to clear your doubt.

(1) (Reply)

Fayose & Aisha Buhari Fights, US Finally Exposes Her Alleged Crime / *full List Of Reshuffled Senate Committee Chairmen* / Forgery Case Against Saraki, Ekwerenmadu Could Be Withdrawn If … – Marafa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.